Pern - Dragon World (invitation only)

Iscaa

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Posts
977
This role play game is loosely based on Anne McCaffrey 's dragon world of Pern.

The colony ship “Argo” named for the famous Greek vessel that sought the Golden Fleece, was finally nearing it's destination. It had been a long journey for the special men and women, most of which had been put into stasis for the 17 year trip. Maintenance personal were awakened periodically to check on the ship's system before going back into stasis.

Their destination was a world called Pern, colonized some quarter of a century previously. Small settlements had been built and animals and crops were established, life was busy but good. The planet was rich in resources, both land and sea....and sky. It was a perfect world except for one rather large problem. Every twenty to twenty-five years a shower of weird parasitic particles would fall from the sky. They called the particles “Thread”. These threads burrowed into any kind of organic life form and literally ate it alive. Animal, plants it didn't matter. If a person wasn't under cover at this time he would die a horrible death. The early settlers endured their first thread-fall seven years after landing on Pern.

Scientists quickly put together what had happened and when it was due again. These same early settlers had come across small flying dragons they dubbed dragonettes and had been able to make pets of them if they found then shortly after hatching. At the time of the first thread fall these dragonettes saved a lot of the people and livestock by warning and attacking the thread. In order to become attached to the humans the small dragon hatchlings had to be imprinted on a human. If the timing was just right, it resulted in a lifetime relationship. Communication between the vastly different species was through telepathy. They also had a very useful ability to be able to teleport themselves to different places.

After the first thread fall, a communication was sent to the home planet of Earth for help with this thread problem. A few settlers having traveled some distance from the settlement had seen a few huge dragons flying in remote areas. No one had ever been able to find where they nested, but it was thought their aeries were located in the mountain ranges in the east. It was hoped that these giant dragons could become partners to the humans like their smaller counterparts. The mission of the people of the Argo was to find these elusive creatures and if possible train them to fight the deadly thread.

The “Thread” had to be controlled or the settlements were always going to be small and near sheltering caves where the people went when the showers came. In the beginning many people died before figuring out what was happening. They needed more men and women to patrol the skies, the colonists waited anxiously for the second colony ship, “Argo”. Time was running out, there was only between three and eight years until the next estimated thread fall.
 

Attachments

  • Pern.jpg
    Pern.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Daniela aka Danny

Bio;


Name; Daniela Altimari
Nickname; Danny
Age; 21
Birthplace; Altamura in Italy
Parents; Alberto and Alba Altimari
Occupation; None, lives off her wealthy father (crime boss)


Appearance; Very pretty brunette

Eyes; Gray
Height; 5 ft. 2 in.
Weight; 120 lbs.
Build; slim
Skin color; Olive
Hair; Dark brown, curly, long.
Other; tattoos one small butterfly on her ankle

Personality; Is outgoing, never had to work a day in her life. She is intelligent having gone to university, but has never gotten a chance to use it. She can size up people pretty well, having got that from her father. Unlike him she has a good sense of humor. Her father has one man guarding her at all times. Spends most of her days shopping at expensive boutiques with her friends. At night they often go to nightclubs to flirt and laugh. It's rather a frivolous way to live and she knows it. God knows Danny has tried to get away from this life, but has always been found and brought back home. To cement an alliance her father has plans to marry her off to one of his important associates. Danny is wild to get out of this situation. Job-wise she has no experience, or even life skills for that matter. She needs a plan to disappear and quickly!


Other girl;
Shala Donaldson

Shala looks a lot like Danny, dark haired and small. (which was an advantage for Danny getting onto the Argo). Ever since Shala had heard of the colony ship needing people with knowledge of large animals she had been preparing herself. A veterinarian by trade, Shala is athletic and knowledgeable in wilderness survival. She was ecstatic to find that she has been picked to go on the Argo voyage. Things change when she meets Danny.
 

Attachments

  • Danny.jpg
    Danny.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
Triip Ransom

Bio:

Name: Triip Ransom.
Nickname: Drake.
Age: 22.
Birthplace: Pern
Parents: Aden and Raffi Ransom.
Occupation: Hunter/Gatherer/Prospective Dragon Rider.

Personality: Quite until people get to know him well, Intelligent with common sense, that's valued on a frontier world such as Pern. Insightful, can sense what you're thinking by your expression. A listener when someone needs a shoulder to cry on. A subtle charm that's quite disarming. Temperamental when pushed beyond his limit of tolerance. Depressed on the anniversary of his Parents death.

Eyes: Green.
Height: 6 ft. 2 in.
Weight: 190 lbs.
Build: Lanky Finely muscled body.
Skin color: Tan.
Hair: Dark and straight.
Other: Tattoo on the back of his right shoulder of a black shield with crossed war spears emblazoned with Golden Dragon breathing fire.



Appearance: Tall Dark and Handsome.

Tripp Ransom is from the first colony, and has lived through the first thread fall. He was only 5 when he lost parents during a thread fall. His Aunt and Uncle had children but gladly took him in, Triip was loved, but never got over the loss of his parents. Growing up with three older cousins, Talos and Rand two rough and tumble boys. Anna was the smart one always with her nose in a book. Growing up the boys toughened Triip up by wrestling, his sister smartened him up with her books. Also Uncle Aden had taught him how to survive and hunt with a bow proficiently. A natural born climber no spire, pinical or cliff face was beyond his reach.

Now that he reached the age of 22, he wants to fight the thread up close and personal. He'd heard all the tales of the huge dragons as a child, but this was far different. Hearing that Dragons were sighted in the far mountains, once seeing one himself. His dreams of finding a nest and making friends with one of the majestic creatures, well it just might come true. Today he inhaled a breakfast of Stonehen eggs, Hill squirrel, Biscuits n gravy with a glass of Gator juice, in a rush to get down to the landing port. Even at 22 watching ships land was quite a sight to see for those born here, it never got old to every Pernian.

Stealing a piece of Pernroot candy Aunt Raffi swats at his back with her wooden spoon on his way out. "Missed me, Again!" Walking quickly through the market he has to avoid many buyers, sellers and pedestrians, fed up Triip shimmies up a flag pole, got onto the roof to leap from building to building. He finally reaches the area just outside the main Landing Port. Jumping from the roof onto a Forklift, cargo container then to the ground. Walking to the fence he greets Balkan, an old Bladewing pilot from back in the day. Old Balkan lifts a crooked finger to point out a bright silver point of light far above the Eastern horizon."

A small group is getting ready to make the trek, and are only now waiting for the second ship to make landfall. These people are supposed to be specialists on large animals etc. Some 5 small groups of six will be making their way to the mountains, hoping at least one of them finds the nesting place of these giant creatures. Then they must find some way to make contact. Time is running out as they all know, the next estimated time for thread fall is between 3 and 8 years. Not much time to tame and train a dragon to go after a Thread Storm where people lived.
 
Last edited:
Danny is now laying down in her stasis pod, thinking about how she came to be here. Dinner at the Altimari house had ended up like many dinners had lately. With Alberto telling Danny she was going to marry Stefano in a few days and that was final! Danny cried, “He's too old for me Daddy how can you do this to me?” The argument went it's usual course, with her Mother crying and Danny throwing down her napkin and stomping out of the room. Alberto signaled Marco to follow his daughter as usual. He didn't want her to disappear so close to the wedding. He would lose face if she did.

As Danny slammed out of the house heading for her car she couldn't help but think, (I just have a few days...just a few days left before I am trapped for the rest of my life!) She was so angry she couldn't think straight, plus if she was honest with herself a little scared. She didn't want to be tied to a man twenty years her senior. He is such an old fashioned man. (It would be like living in a cage, he would never let me go out alone or with my friends! I can't go through with it.) She headed to her favorite nightclub to have a drink and a think.

Once she was seated at the bar with a drink in her hand Danny started to feel a little better. As she sipped she listened to two girls on her left. There was chatter about a cousin Shala Donaldson who was lucky enough to get a place on the space ship Argo that was due to leave in two days. The bad thing was Shala's Mom had just been diagnosed with cancer. They were not able to pay for the cancer treatments. It was such a sad thing. Danny perked up, this could very well be her ticket out of this mess!

At that moment a handsome guy on Danny's right asked if she wanted to dance. She nodded no thanks since she was now thinking about what she had just overheard. He turned away and got a call on his button phone. As he finished talking a friend of his called his name, putting the phone beside his drink he waved. Danny casually reached for some snack nuts coming back with the phone. The green light was on meaning he hadn't locked it down.

Looking around Danny spotted Marco keeping an eye on her. She decided to visit the ladies room to make a call to this Shala person. She set up a meeting for the next day at one of the restaurants she frequented. When Danny went home shortly afterwards she searched for all the cash she could lay her hands on, it only came to five thousand dollars. This wasn't nearly enough she would have to take all the expensive jewelry that her Dad had given her over the years. She was certain it would be worth a few hundred grand.

The next day Danny nervously waited at the table for the girl to come. Marco was having his lunch near the front of the restaurant and wouldn't hear anything. Finally Shala came over, looking rather curious. Danny was glad to see she was of similar coloring to herself, and just a few inches taller. She could and would be able to disguise herself to look like the woman. One hour later, after having lunch and convincing Shala that she should take the money offered and help her Mom the deal was done. It really really hadn't been difficult to convince her to do the right thing. Shala gave Danny her pass to get on the ship instructing her on the time and what to expect. In return Danny carefully handed over a small purse with the money she collected along with the jewelry. They each said their good byes and left.

Danny had found out that Shala was a vet, and knew about wilderness survival. Plus there was something about being in a stasis pod, but Danny didn't listen closely. She figured she could pretend to know all that. The main thing was to get away, she'd adapt to whatever she had to when she got to space ship and that planet the woman had called Pern.

The next day Danny gave Marco the slip, she knew he would find her but, it always took him at least half a day. So she timed her escape to the minute. Dressing like Shala had instructed her, she went to the landing site, with one small carry on bag. That had been very difficult deciding what to take but she did it. She went to the various lines to be processed, soon she was taken aboard and told to get into the stasis pod.
 
Last edited:
The seventeen year trip was finally at an end, the ship's computer signaled for the maintenance crew to be awakened. It took a few days for all the systems to get up and running again to accommodate all the people in cyrogenics. The medical people were the first to be awakened, then they worked in shifts to wake the rest of the people in the pods.

Danny felt like she had been in a endless fog of sleep. When she first opened her eyes, she couldn't remember where or how she had got in the chamber that she saw around her. A medic talked to her in soothing tones as he helped her to sit up and finally get out of the pod. She was very shaky to say the least, but he insisted she keep on moving. All she wanted to do was to go lay down again. She moaned at him as he pulled her away from the pod and into the corridor. Others were in the same state she was and they were all being lead to the mess hall to get some food and drink into their bodies. Once Danny had eaten as much food as she could eat, she was taken to a large room and given loads of information she really didn't want to listen to. But she did listen half heartedly. Groups of twenty people were to disembark in a orderly fashion. Once on the planet they would be assigned to temporary accommodations and from there to their assignments depending on their skills and employment. All their information was a on a small disk that hung around their necks.

Two days later Danny was put aboard the first shuttle and taken to the main landing field next to Pinical Rock a small settlement near South Telgar Hold on the planet Pern. From the docking area she and nineteen other people were picked up and welcomed before being taken to their temporary quarters before they were to go to their various assignments.

The room she was give was certainly not what she had been used to. It was spartan to say the least, having a small cot and one chair and table. At least she didn't have to share it with anyone. A few hours later Danny started to feel much more herself now. She opened the small bag she'd thrown on the cot and rummaged around looking for her pjs. Something to remind her of home, slipping into them her eyes fell on the small family photo album she had thrown into the bag. Taking it out she pressed it against her chest.

Unfortunately she now had the time to think and regret her hasty actions to escape being married to an older man. Not only had she given up her family, friends and way of life but she had to impersonate Shala Donaldson, vet extraordinair for gods sake! How was she going to pull this off? She knew nothing about being a vet or wilderness survival. The only plus she could see right now was that she loved animals. Still how could she think she could get away with this? It was all her father's fault, he made her do this, oh she would never forgive him for this. She sighed, he probably wasn't even alive by now, that was seventeen years ago, she kept shaking her head as these thoughts went round and round. Finally she stopped pacing her room and slipped under the covers of her cot, minutes later in exhaustion she fell asleep.

The next morning, there was a knock at the door, Danny sleepily moaned, "Come in, stop your knocking and just come in!
 

Attachments

  • the_northern_cont.jpg
    the_northern_cont.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The bright silver speck high over the horizon began to drop rapidly, the old pilot nudges Triip smiling. Swatting absently at Balkan's nudging arm. "Balkan! I am trying see...this" Putting a pair of ElctroBinocs up to his eyes Triip yells out. "I can see it! It It's beautiful!" Slowly the Ship rolls upright having entered the atmosphere inverted, reaching up to hold the EB's the old man guides his finger to zoom. "OH My GODS BALKAN!" I saw the forward antigrav pulse!" Without looking Triip grabs his old friends arm, he see's the heat haze as the Shuttle rocket engines fired up "These are amazing where on earth did ya get em?!"

Adjusting the clarity the old man spoke calmly. "When I was a shuttle pilot it was issued." Lowering the EB's Triip was slack jawed as he stares at Balkan, the old man chuckles and closes the young mans mouth. "You'll miss the braking maneuvers kid." Triip puts the EB's back to his eyes seeing he shuttle bank hard right then hard left its retro rockets firing in sequence the craft levels out. "Amazing Balkan! If you're selling these? I'll work whatever the cost off in your Shop." Old Balkan enjoyed watching the young mans excitement on his face. "They're yours Triip, just promise me one thing." Looking at the crafty old pilot with a sly grin. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah!" Balkan said with a mischievous smile. The young man grabs his hand to shake it firmly. "OK, what do you want?" Balkan chuckles. "When you find a nesting you bring it for me to see ." Triip is grinning ear to ear. "You got it! You'll be the first I bring it to." The old loud speakers surrounding the Main Docking Area hum to life. A crowd was gathering to watch the Docking, a Popcorn cart was pushed by a pretty smiling young lady. He's looking through his EB's zooming out Triip watched the Electra bank around Pinical Rock. "She's rounding Pinical Rock heading our way everyone, it won't be long now!" He yells what was happening excitedly as a crowd cheers loudly. When the crowd saw the Shuttle they grew louder and began to wave. A braking blast from engines was loud at first, then tapers off to a deep hum as antigravity engines take over. Slowly positioning the ship to dock, arms extend locking into place as it lands engines shutting down.

The speakers hum to life to broadcast what's happening to everyone drawing townsfolk in. A precise female voice is heard. Pernian Ground Control, this is the Shuttle Electra from the Colony Ship Argos, requesting permission to land. The Control Tower was occupied by a town Leader when it was necessary. Replying in a clear equally precise female voice. "This is Pernian Ground Control to Shuttle Electra, we have many nesting Dragons in that area set your course to two nine seven. Your approach will be from the east so you avoid Pinical Rock. A Docking area is prepped Electra, you're now clear to land. Welcome to Pern along with the rest of your crew. And please tell of your passengers that are staying, welcome home to Pern."

Twenty or so people exited the Electra, the Pernians cheer waving to them. A vehicle had driven into position to pick the passengers up, many of them would wave back to the nice sized crowd. Driving from the shuttle a vehicle slows to get through the gate, taking all of them to temporary quarters before their assignments. Triip got a look with EB's zooming in on a Brunette, sending his heart racing but she was quickly gone. Putting an arm around Balkan's shoulder smiling happily. "l think if you have lunch with us, Aunt Raffi and Uncle Aden would enjoy seeing you again Mister." Steering the old pilot in a course that leads to his home, as he talks poor Balkan's ear off asking about his flying days.
 
Last edited:
Landing on Pern was going to be exciting to the people on board the Argo. Danny like everyone else looked forward to feeling real dirt under her feet. She was lucky enough to be put aboard the first shuttle. Before long they had landed and were escorted to a waiting vehicle. Danny could see a small crowd of waving locals. She lifted her hand and waved once. Before she knew it, they were led into a temporary accommodations...and their own rooms. Danny put her small bag down on the floor, and shedding her clothes, slipped into bed and feel swiftly asleep.

The next morning the door opened enough for a head to peek in, "Are you up yet Shala...breakfast is ready and everyone else is eating. If you don't hurry up, there will be nothing left!" The door shut, and Danny moaned. Her stomach rumbled and her eyes shot open groaning, (Oh gods, food! I am famished!) Within five minutes she was washed, dressed and running out the door!

She followed a sign that said, "Cafeteria this way" and soon found herself entering a room that smelled of toast. She stopped to look around and found that most of the others from the shuttle were seated together and as the voice had indicated, just about done with breakfast. Danny quickly grabbed a cup of something that looked like coffee, but didn't smell like it, causing her to put a lot of cream in it. She took a plate and got the last of the scrambled eggs and one piece of bacon, and two cold pieces of toast. Sitting in an empty chair someone pulled out for her, introductions were made. Danny smiled and said, "I prefer to be called by my middle name... Danny," before starting in on her food. She listened as she ate and found that a some people had decided to go for a walk to see what their new home was like. Between mouthfuls Danny waved for them to wait for her. One of the girls smiled and nodded as the rest of them left the cafeteria.

A few minutes later Danny left the eating area making her way to the front door of the building. There she spotted the waiting group. It looked like a good day for a walk as it was a nice sunny day. Danny smiled at her companions but was too interested to see what the landscape was like to talk with anyone. They soon left the small town of Pinical Rock behind enjoying the feel of exercising their legs as well as the sights.

At one point, the group heard someone or something yelping for some reason, but since no one was brave enough to go see what it was, they continued on. Danny thought she saw some colorful flying bird-like thing to her right and decided to check it out. She figured she would only be a minute so didn't let anyone know she was leaving the group. As she followed she just couldn't get close enough to get a good look. About twenty minutes later she came across a small outcrop of rocks, and that is when things started to go wrong. Suddenly the bird or now that she saw it....some kind of blue bat-like thing started to cry out and dive bomb at her head.

Waving her arms around Danny tried to turn back the way she had come, but ended up only going to her right. The creature kept on flying at her until she was a few hundred feet from the outcrop of rocks. Looking back as it now flew away from her Danny didn't notice the small sinkhole in her path. Before she knew what was happening, she lost her footing and was sliding down into darkness. Luck was with her since it wasn't very deep. Standing up and brushing off the dirt on her clothes she looked up. (It can't be more then six maybe seven feet to the top. Geezzz how do I get myself into these things?) Grabbing onto an exposed root she tried to pull herself up. The root came away from the soft sandy soil causing Danny to fall onto her bottom. There was no way she was going to be able to climb out. She started calling for help.

After what felt like ages Danny slumped against the dirt wall and slid down. Brushing a creepy crawly thing off her right arm, she noticed that her uniform had been ripped at the shoulder. (That must have happened when I fell into this god awful hole!) It gapped widely leaving her throat and lower down exposed along with the same amount at the back. She tried to lift it back into place but of course it fell open as soon as she let go. She sighed tiredly before getting ready to call out once more. (Now that I about it, why am I so tired, just moving through the bush has not been easy. I can't be in that bad a shape can I? When... no if I get back I better look into this.)
 
Last edited:
Hearing a rumor from a that a group of from the shuttle were going on a outing, so Triip got an early start this morning. He quickly ate one of the granola bars baked that night, he drank water from a tube that goes to a bag on his back. Trotting at a steady pace to get ahead of the Argos group, wanting to get a good laugh watching what they would do. With less gravity and oxygen they would be clumsy and tire easily, finding a high spot with concealing brush to watch. Sitting down on the sandy ground crosses his long legs, pulls the EctroBinocs from a case belted on his hip.

Scanning to the left and to the right Triip sights the little Brunette, zooming in to see she obviously upset a little RockBat. Chuckling at the way it's screeching repeatedly diving at the girl, her arms flailing she ran to get away from the larger male. Laying his head back laughing so hard he falls over onto his back, suddenly he's being bitten all over he realizes he's sitting on a FireDevil nest. Leaping up with a loud yell he jumps around swatting at all the seven inch stinging lizards. Getting off the nest quickly and scratching all of itchy spots, lifting the EB's to his blue eyes just in time to see the girl fall out off sight. Knowing all the things that could be living in a sinkhole, especially one big enough for an adult to fit in.

Triip took off at a fast pace down the small brush scattered hill, dodging large rocks, and holes as he quickly closed the distance. He slows walking cautiously up to a small yet deep sinkhole a little sand fell in, as he leans over cautiously to find the girl that had gotten off the shuttle. Putting the EB's back into the case as the tall Pernian spoke, his voice a quite mellow baritone. "Are you alright down there? Any cuts or broken bones? Sands going to fall into but it's nothing to worry about. I have to make sure the sinkhole is stable enough to hold my weight. Carefully placing his foot in evenly spaced places, slowly adding his weight onto it, then repeating the process around the sinkhole. Lowering himself onto the ground reaching into the sinkhole. "Take my hand, we're going work together to get you out."
 
Last edited:
Danny was beginning to wonder how many bugs were down there in the hole with her as she swatted at another many legged critter she felt crawling up her pant-leg when she heard a voice ask,"Are you alright down there? Any cuts or broken bones? Sands going to fall into but it's nothing to worry about. I have to make sure the sinkhole is stable enough to hold my weight.

Startled by the voice she looked upwards to spot a man garbed in what she had seen the locals wearing. She sighed in great relief thinking,(Well it's about time!) Squinting up at the man Danny said, " No...no cuts or broken bones." At that moment something fell on her head then onto her bare shoulder. She screamed as she swatted it off. Looking up again she cried, " Oh man you have to get me out of here now! There's ...things down here and they're crawling all over me!"

As she stood there another had somehow got past her shoe and up inside of her pants. Starting to freak out Danny screamed while whacking at it over and over. Franticly jumping from one foot to the other she cried and screamed at the same time, "GET ME OUT OF HERE! DAMN IT GET ME OUTTT!"

Danny never heard the man say, "Take my hand, we're going work together to get you out."
 
Last edited:
Sighing deeply Triip rolled his piercing blue eyes at the childish behavior from this Earther.
On his stomach with his back vulnerable to whatever predator might be drawn to all of her damned noise. Putting his fingers in the corners of his mouth without waiting one second longer, lets loose with an ear piercing whistle to get the frantically screaming twits full attention.

"HEY! IF ANYTHING WAS GOING TO KILL YOU DOWN THERE, IT WOULD HAVE BY NOW! Now breath and in the name of all things holy ... Shut the fuck up and grab my hold of my hand girl." Catching hold of one of her flailing arms then locking both hands around the wrists.

"Now Climb!, I'm Not Doing All The Work Myself." When a deep grunt he pulls with all of his might, hopefully she would latch onto his wrists and use her feet and legs to help. Triip couldn't hear anything to protect his back from anything, Gods forbid a Rogue Dragon finds them. There wouldn't be much left of either one of them if one the beasts would've heard.
 
Danny stopped screaming when an ear splitting noise erupted. Momentarily shocked she put her hands to her ears and looked skyward. There was that now furious looking man gesturing to her to listen, with a frown she did.

None to gently he yelled, "HEY! IF ANYTHING WAS GOING TO KILL YOU DOWN THERE, IT WOULD HAVE BY NOW! Now breath and in the name of all things holy ... Shut the fuck up and grab a hold of my hand girl."

Trying to keep her temper in check...until she was out of the hole, Danny raised her arm grabbing his hand. Once he had a secure hold with both hands he continued in a more normal voice, "Now Climb!, I'm Not Doing All The Work Myself."

She took hold of various roots and rocks with her other hand as he raised her slowly up. She tried to find footholds as she struggled. After what felt like hours instead of minutes, Danny's head raised above the hole. She came eye to eye with her rescuer, her eyes narrowed at him, but she said nothing as he pulled her the rest of the way out. Eventually she stood up brushing the sand and dirt off her outfit.

Now her temper boiled over as she locked eyes with the man. With a calm voice she started at him, "Look Pernite, or Pernor, or whatever you call yourselves on this god forsaken planet!.....How dare you speak to me in such a manner? No one, I mean no one speaks to me like that and gets away with it! You sir are no gentleman!"

Having gotten that off her chest she turned on her heel and stomped off, of course in the wrong direction. Suddenly with a stiff back she halted and without looking back at Tripp grudgingly added, "By the way... thanks for rescuing me." Then she resumed crashing through the foliage as she mumbled, (Wow....handsome man too bad he's so rude!)
 
Last edited:
When pulling her out of the sinkhole she finally assisted him, her head was now above the rim of sinkhole. A momentary pause would bring Triip and Danny eye to eye, though her face was twisted in anger he thought she had the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. Pulling the brat completely out of the sinkhole, thinking he should've left her ass in there. Though more annoying than anyone Triip had ever met, she still could make his heart race. Having nothing to do with anger, at this point it only irritated him all the more now.

Teeth as this clenched as she had the nerve insults his home. "For your information, It Is Pernian." Crossing his lean muscular arms listening to the spoiled brats ridiculous tantrum. "How dare you insult my home! Leaning down to into her face before she could storm off. "You deserved to be spoken to in such a manner! Dusting himself free of the sand that had dirtied his clothing. "Not to burst your bubble or anything, but I just talked to you like that."

With an smirk Triip added. "And you can't do a damned thing about it." She stormed off and he calls after her. "You're welcome, even though I should have left you in that hole." Seeing Danny's going the wrong way, he waited just long for her to be just out sight. He calls out loud enough to be heard. "By the way...you're going the wrong direction. The group of Earthers is in the opposite direction."
 
Last edited:
Danny couldn't believe the way the man had spoken to her, as she shoved branches away from her path. If it was the last thing she did she vowed to get him back some how. She really couldn't believe how angry she was right then. Not long afterwards she heard him raise his voice enough for her to hear, "By the way...you're going the wrong direction. The group of Earthers is in the opposite direction."

That was it, he somehow brought out the worst in her. She turned around seething in rage until she came up to him nose to nose. Well not nose to nose, he was way too tall, so looking up she jabbed him in the chest with her finger, then continued to poke at him as she stated, "Look Perny or whatever your called, I may be ...what did you call me? Oh yeah an Earther, yes I am and proud of it. Earth is the most beautiful planet in the galaxy, so put that in your pipe and smoke it. And one more thing, heaven help me if I end up on a team with someone like you!

Danny had to pause in her tirade to catch her breath, she was not only breathing heavily but was dead tired as well. All of a sudden she whispered, " I don't feel so well," and started to topple over.
 
Last edited:
With a wry smirk on his tan face as Triip saw the brat spin around heading directly at him. Adjusting his solar shields (AKA sunglasses) just in case she happens to be a spitter, it wasn't long for her to try and get in his face. Putting his hands on his hips as she started in on him, looking down at her the girl couldn't have been any more than what 5'3" 120? He almost burst out laughing in her face as she emphasizes each terse word with a poke to his chest, which she annoyingly just had to keep up. Triip was quickly fed up with this little spoiled princess poking him, after a while he wasn't going to put up with anymore. "Oh yeah!?... Oh really now!... Ahh!" With each poke of her finger he took a step closer, his anger was rising steadily.

"Well now, just let me tell you a thing or two Missy! Your ancestors deforested, polluted the air, land and sea to the point it was near uninhabitable. Only until Cold Fusion was possible and our planetary scientists restored your pathetic planet! Not one single solitary contribution of your scientists to save your own people, only the richest of your people like your kind! "As Triip was about to end his rant, he realized she paused to catch her breath. She was not only breathing heavily, but appears dead tired as well. All of a sudden she whispers, "I don't feel so well." As she started to topple over he gathered her up into his arms with a sigh.

"You Earthers think you can just come here and do anything you please, without adjusting to Pern." Thinking to himself she might be faking as he's carrying her, and what was her name on the Manifest?..Danielle?..Daniella? I'll figure out your real name sooner or later. Gently setting Danny down in the soft sandy area in the shade of the rocks, pulling an oxygen infuser the length of 4'' by 5" with a diameter of 3" from his backpack. Placing a silver collar about her slender neck and clicked the Infuser into the elastic collar. pulling a 3" by 2" by 1'' micro air syringe placing the tip against her stomach pressing a button. One last item was a 1" by 1" foil square that unfolded into a thin thermal blanket that he wraps about her body. "Now that should stabilize your smart ass Miss Danny." Triip takes the canister from his belt twists it's cap open for a cool drink of electrolyte rich Pern berries. Picking a rock to lean back against getting comfortable, keeping one eye open on the know it all Earther.
 
Last edited:
Danny moaned softly as she slowly came around. When she opened her eyes she looked around wondering where she was. She couldn't help but see she was wrapped in some kind of blanket and she was surrounded by small shrubs and trees. And not the kind she was used to. Turning her head she saw "Him", and it all came crashing back.

She was on the planet Pern, and had been with a small group from the ship, they had been going for a walk when she went off on her own. Some local bird-like creatures had chased her. As she ran away from them she got lost and fell into a hole, this man had rescued her, which she was indeed grateful for. But he was sooo rude, handsome but sooo rude! As she remembered, she lifted one eyebrow and narrowed her eyes at him as she sat up.

"What happened? I remember you pulling me out of the hole, made some really rude remarks to me and I walked off. Oh Yeah then I came back said a few words to you ....and that is all I remember. And what have you done to me?" She yanked the collar from her neck holding it out while looking at it.

Danny stood up letting the blanket fall to the ground. That is when she noticed he was silently staring at her, which made her a bit uncomfortable. Wondering why, she noticed the flap of material across her chest. Frowning she lifted it up and over the shoulder of her suit. It wouldn't stay up, so she had to hold it in place. She waited for him to say something.
 
Last edited:
Triip looked directly into her eyes avoiding anywhere else, being taught a real man never takes advantage of a woman "You passed out from a lack of oxygen, didn't adjust to Pern gravity the atmosphere or the heat." With a tired sigh he gestures to where she'd been sleeping only minutes ago. "C'mon...you really should put the infuser back on so it can do it's job. You haven't recovered yet and you need food, or you won't get very far at all."

"Why should I care?" Flipping a bit of dark hair out his green eyes. "Because I'm trying to save your life, even though you insist on crazily risking it." Crossing his arms with a grunt and an irritated expression on his face. "I don't have a problem using the syringe on you, I just don't want to carry you back here again." Shaking his head because he just couldn't understand Earthers stubbornness. "Another thing you should know, Dragons aren't the only large predators you have to worry about, Pern even has a few that Dragons know better than to mess with." Turning to look at another beautiful sunset that his world was renowned for, Triip's frown slowly fades into a slightly evil smile. "You know.. after dark is when all the nocturnal beasts come out, they'll eat anything they can get their claws and teeth on."

Triip pulls another one inch silver square from his backpack, unfolding itself Triip wraps it around himself. A black cap with red stripes and ear flaps his Aunt knit for him, even with a fuzzy ball on top. Putting it on he didn't even care if it looked silly, it's warm and it was going to get cold soon. Then pulling out a four inch diameter disk of cold heat and two heat and eat meals, one was Beef stew the other Spaghetti and meatballs. "I hope you're hungry because this is all we have to eat, unless you'd rather catch digger worms to roast on the cold heat disk." The seemingly endless space of his backpack producing a cooking rack, plates, plastiware and two cups. Pressing a button on the of rim the disk it's instantly hot and ready to cook the HAE's on.
 
Last edited:
Danny could only stare at the handsome but really unsophisticated fellow as he told her about the conditions of Pern. Now she remembered bits and pieces of information from the classes on board the ship. But she really hadn't paid very much attention at the time. Technical jargon always bored her to death. Now as she listened to Tripe or Zip or whatever his name was, she realized maybe she should have at least listened to the more important points in the lectures.

She watched as he put on a very odd looking cap on his head and wrapped his body in one of those super light space blankets. She wondered if he had some extras in that pack of his. Looking down at herself she knew her thin clothing wasn't going to keep her very warm if they had to spend the night out here in the wilderness.

She started to get irritated as he carried on with his attitude. Making her feel like a huge pain in the ass. She waited until he was done before retorting, " Are you done now? OK how do I put that infuser thing back on? One more thing...don't you ever come at me with a syringe. I swear I will knock your block off if you do." A little embarrassed she added, "I have a small thing about syringes."

She let him put the infuser back on her throat and they both sat down on some rocks, when he got a smart ass look on his face, "You know.. after dark is when all the nocturnal beasts come out, they'll eat anything they can get their claws and teeth on." She couldn't help but raise her eyebrow at that remark.

Sighing painfully to herself Danny watched Triip set about getting some food for them, thinking.....(Oh yeah...like I believe in dragons and worse are going to eat us!) She continued to watch him as he set about warming it up for them. Her lip curled slightly as she saw him moving around with such ease and confidence. She was still feeling rather tired out so decided not to challenge him about trying to scare her the wits out of her.

He glanced at her before saying, "I hope you're hungry because this is all we have to eat, unless you'd rather catch digger worms to roast on the cold heat disk." In answer to his comment her stomach growled loudly. She put her hand on the annoying area and said, "Excuse me. I suppose I am hungry, haven't eaten anything since early this morning."

She waited for him to hand her a plate of food, and with a mumbled, "Thank you!" Dug in.
 
Last edited:
"For now." Taking the infuser from her hand they touch lightly for a moment, Triip pauses in what he's doing then continues to put the infuser on. Listening he's told don't ever come at her with a syringe, I swear I will knock your block off. He didn't know what a block was but it didn't sound too good to him. Thinking Mhm just like an Earther, to threaten violence when someone is trying to protect them. Triip had to admit to himself that he shouldn't try scaring her like that. "Sorry about trying to scare you, but what I said is actually quite true."

Realizing he's being watched, glances up a second to catch the curl of her lips without her noticing. Hearing a sudden growl directly in front of him, he quickly looks up for a threat. Breathing a sigh of relief that it's only her stomach. Yes, I would say so. Handing her a plate, the food still in the neatly unwrapped HAE he'd placed upon it. "Taking a bite of food he chews till his mouth was empty before speaking. "You're welcome..." Placing two cups on a rock he filled each one with Pern berry juice, it had a taste similar to a nice red wine.

Sitting back to continue eating slowly, the food was close to home cooking, but not quite. Reaching in his backpack pulls out a couple silver blankets placing them on a nearby rock. "You're going to need these, it gets cold out here at night" Remembering something Triip digs around in his backpack, finding a small black gun like device. "Gotcha! This device is for putting the thermal blankets together, it should do for fixing any torn clothing you may have. "Not that I noticed or anything like that.. I mean I was raised better than to do that!" realizing he's not helping he just shuts up, as he was making himself appear like the fool.
 
Last edited:
Danny felt a nice warmth from that momentary touch as Triip took the infuser from her hand. She looked at him as he put the thing back around her throat. She now realized that this man could be a danger to her if she let him get too close to her. All her secrets could be exposed. As he apologized for for trying to scare her, she thought, "I have to be careful around him, at least until I know I have some idea of what I am going to be doing on this planet. If they knew I wasn't the vet they thought they were getting, who knows where I'd end up?"

Suddenly they hear a growl, putting Triip on alert. Danny reddened when they realized it was her stomach. Then Tripp handed Danny a plate of food that she gratefully dug into. A few minutes later he rifled in that backpack of his and pulled out some blankets placing then on a rock. "You're going to need these, it gets cold out here at night"

As Danny continued to eat she watched Triip go back into his backpack and come out with a gun-like object. "Gotcha! This device is for putting the thermal blankets together, it should do for fixing any torn clothing you may have. "Not that I noticed or anything like that.. I mean I was raised better than to do that!"

She wiped her mouth smiling before saying, "Thanks, that looks like exactly what I need to fix this rip on my shoulder." With a small worried look on her face Danny asked, "So I guess we will be spending the night out here?" At his nod she swatted at the biggest mosquito-like insect she had ever seen. Grimly she looked at Triip and asked, "OK...I think maybe you better tell me more about these nocturnal beasties you mentioned. Cause that was one massive bug I just killed!"
 
Triip ate slowly but the large bites he took he's almost done, Danny' more than just a little hungry. He was used to Pernian girls appetite, she could give them a run for their money. Reaching for her plate, she makes him wait a moment as she glides a soft delicate finger around it then slowly licks her finger clean. Smiles at the sexy sight the easy way about herself, also seeing movement in the shadow along the rocks. A multi legged Constrictor slowly rises up behind Danny as Triip rises slowly to his feet to draw his hunting knife. Putting a finger up to his lips a moment mouths don't talk or move. *Just my luck, I was saved by a Serial Killer* He suddenly lunges for the large highly poisonous reptile, she's knocked aside as he grabs it by the throat.

It wraps itself about his body and squeezes tightly, its many clawed feet scratch and dig in viciously. Falling to the sandy soil with a heavy thud thrashing about violently, their camps trashed gear scattered here there and everywhere. Stabbing the Constrictor several times the last sinks under it's chin, his blade is driven deep into it's brain killing it. The reptile still writhes in its death throes as Triip tries and fails to get free of the many sharp claws it has. Barely able to croak out "Help me" Danny helps untangle him from the creatures vile grasp, she attempts first aid 'instructed by him of course.' Just like a woman she fusses over the campsite saying something only an Earther would. Triip can only chuckle giving her a weak grin as Danny smiles over her shoulder at him. She's possibly thinking *He's still trouble, but maybe a little bit of trouble isn't quite so bad after all*
 
Last edited:
As Danny cleaned up her plate, running her finger along the edge and licking it she sighed in contentment. "Ahhhh, you know I really was famished! I know I was a little testy earlier, and well I would like to thank you again for saving me and now feeding me. I know this wasn't what you had planned for your evening." She glanced around coming back to his face with a smile. Just as she was about to continue, his expression changed and he slowly rose to his feet while pressing his finger to his mouth.

Danny blinked twice realizing something was wrong but got it, "Don't move!" Her eyes widened as he drew the biggest knife she had ever seen. *Just my luck, I was saved by a Serial Killer* was the first thing that popped into her head. Then he lunged towards her knocking her to the side.

Danny hit the ground hard since she hadn't expected to be harshly propelled to the ground. Trying to get her breath back she looked to where she could hear grunting and scuffling noises. Bringing her hand up to her mouth she uttered, "Oh my gods...!" She lay on the ground frozen in fear as she watched Triip wrestle the biggest ugliest reptile she had ever seen in her life. With all the writhing she was able to see what looked like a beast that was very snake-like but had strong feet with deadly looking talons. It had wrapped itself around Triip and was trying to squeeze the life out of him, or rip him apart.

No coward, Danny shook her head and looked around to find some kind of weapon to help. The two combatants continued to thresh violently, pretty much breaking a lot of the camp equipment as the fight went on. Danny found a large rock, ran over to Triip when he was finally able to plunge his knife under it's chin and into the brain stem.

Danny dropped the rock as Triip croaked, " Help me". She ran the last couple of feet and started to pull the grasping legs off. It wasn't easy since there was many legs and more then a few of the talons were embedded into Triip's body. Once she had the thing untangled she shoved it away with her legs.

Looking at Triip Danny could she he was hurt, bleeding and she was going to have to tend him. Not having much of a clue, she glanced at Triip as she unzipped his jacket and said matter of fact tone, "You know I will need you to tell me what to do, I have not really doctored up anyone that was attacked by a giant lizard/snake/thing before." She gave him a lop sided smile.

After that Triip told Danny to get his backpack as he continued to shed his outer clothes so she could clean up his wounds and put salve on them. He had been lucky, only superficial wounds that would heal in time. He knew he would be sore for a few days.

There was one slash on Triip's inner thigh that Danny kept on saying, "I think I should stitch that up....don't you? Awww come on, I have always wanted to stitch someone up!" She laughed at the face he gave her. She knew she was going to have to look after him for the next few days. She added, "Look Triip, I know we are in a bit of a bind, but you tell me what to do, and I will do it. Here take this pain killer and rest while I sort out what is left of our camp."

Danny added more wood to the fire and with Triip's guidance picked out some of the more useful items that they were going to need until they got back to civilization. As she worked she glanced over at the young man a few times, finally thinking, *He's still trouble, but maybe a little bit of trouble isn't quite so bad after all*
 
Last edited:
Triip was finally very glad she had the bits to help drag this damned Rock Constrictor off of him. Like all reptiles they have have a nasty habit of being silent and extremely stealthy, this one took the prize for that and it's strength. Frowing his eyes narrowing to green slits even after she laughs, keeping pressure on the ugly slash on his inner inner thigh, dreads having Danny stitch it up even with the deadening hypo. Opening his mouth to let her drop the pill into it, accepting the drink she gave him. "What a mess it made out of our camp." Triip always kept a tidy campsite and he did not like seeing it like this.

"Thanks. Even with his hatred of needles and misgivings of her stitching him up. "You're right, it has to be done. Especially with." Jerking his sandy head in the things direction. "That ones germs." Looking around the camp spying the folding chair and drags it to him sitting it up. Lifting himself halfway up he grits his teeth growling in pain forcing Triip back to the ground. "If you'll stop grinning over getting to stick hooked needles into my hide. Give me a hand into the chair?" From being stubborn fresh blood began to seep again puts more pressure on it. Damn! Bleeding again. Danny the First Aid kits white with a red circle on it.

She wasn't very strong, but Pern atmosphere and gravity would fix that soon. "Thankfully you have enough thigh and ass to get me up in the chair." It's his turn to give her his own lopsided grin. Hoping she's not the hitting type it wouldn't feel very good to get punched. "It was a compliment." Not coming out the way he intended due to the painkiller He giggles. "Dat whid gou yime ve?" He giggles shaking his head to clear it. "What did you give me?" Pointing to the backpack Triip gets out while he could "Tourniquet, instructions." Not one to take much for pain, Triip is high as a high altitude a big blue split tail Dragon.
 
Last edited:
Once Danny had medical materials all ready, she glanced at Triip. He looked pretty doped up. She was glad cause this was not going to be pretty. When he asked what kind of pain killer did she give him, she handed the package over to him. He was pretty crossed eyed so she took it back and read the print.

"It says this medication is good for most injuries, but should be taken with food as it will go straight to the head. One pill is good for twelve hours."

Danny glanced over at Triip knowing she had given him two pills. He had eaten not long ago, but she could see he was indeed over medicated. She smiled as she thought, "Well, he shouldn't feel too much pain now, that at least is a blessing." She proceeded to clean up the wound as he tried to stay sitting up. Just as she finished wiping the blood off she noted his leg muscles seemed to relax. Looking up Danny saw that Triip's head lay to one side and his body was slumped down. She didn't know how he stayed in the chair but decided this was good. Now she would suture his wound and not hurt him too badly.

She read the instructions for the tourniquet while keeping pressure on the wound. Shortly after she had the tourniquet on, tight but not too tight. She mumbled as she worked, "Well at least I have lots of time to do this right, without any complaints." Fifteen minutes later the wound was stitched, bandaged and she was trying to get his body to the ground without jarring him too badly when he moaned.

While holding on to his big body Danny looked up. There was Triip looking down at her like he had no idea who she was. They both fell to the ground with a soft thump, Danny tried to keep clear of his wound. She sighs as she explains,

"Hi Triip, just so you remember, I am Danny, you are Triip, and was wounded in a major fight with that there snake beast. By the way, you killed it. I just tended to your wound and was now trying to get you comfortable for the night. So if you help me to get you over to the bedroll, I will get you ready for bed."

He looked at her with a gleam in his eye and a lop sided grin at her words, as he tried to put his arms around her. Danny sat back on her heels and retorted,

"That better be the drugs making you act like this! Don't make me have to get rough with you in the state your in!"

He blinked at her and nodded his head. Together they stumbled over to where the bedrolls were, she unrolled it while he stood as best he could. Once it was ready Danny helped him lay down. He then grabbed her around the waist, pulling her to him. Holding her close, within a few seconds he fell asleep.

When Danny felt his arms going around her body she went to struggle. But on second thought she relaxed knowing he wouldn't harm her in his state. She reached over and drew the extra bedroll over the two of them and yawned. It had been an exhausting day, she felt like she could sleep for a week.

As she fell asleep she hoped there would be no harmful beasts that would eat them til they woke up in the morning.
 
Holding the medication package trying to focus on the print, to Trip all of them just kept on running into each other. Finally reading 12 hours and felt the package slowly realizes two are missing from it. "Danny! You Gave Me Two!" I have to be a light sleeper out here it's dangerous. His voice slurring more by the minute to the point he could only be understood by nodding his head for yes or shaking for no, a grin or frown is finally all that Triip could manage.

Slumping down into the folding chair he's as comfortable as his hammock back home head leaning to one side through half lidded eyes. To his addled brain he thought it wasn't his body, as a pretty girl is looking up at him says. "Hi Triip, I'm Danny and you are Triip. You were wounded in a major fight with that snake beast. By the way, you killed it."

"I just now tended to your wound and am now trying to get you comfortable for the night. So if you help me to get you over to the bedroll, I will get you ready for bed." As she had somehow helped him up on his feet, with a crooked grin and glint in his green eyes. Triip tries to reach around Danny. "That better be the drugs making you act like this! Don't you make me have to get rough with you in the state you're in!" She got his full attention as he slowly nods.

Stumbling together over to the bedroll to stand on one leg, he'd keep the weight off of the wounded one. As it's unrolled he stands as best he could with a hand on her shoulder for balance. The world slowly tilts as he's being laid down with a gentle thump he's resting on some soft padding. Danny wasn't watching closely she's grabbed about the waist, Triip will pull her close to cuddle up with her. Her long dark hair in his face he'll sigh contently, the warm exhalation brushing against her neck as he fell asleep.

Triip never knew that Danny went to struggle, probably realizing he wouldn't harm her in his state. She was sure to cover the two of them in the extra heat retaining foil blanket for against the night. It had been an exhausting day, she felt like she could sleep for a week. Triip didn't tell her earlier as he tried to frighten her, put out a small sonic pod hurt the bigger beasts ears.

Dreaming of the early pioneers from Earth knew how to live of the land, so after supplies ran out it's what they did. As Pern is found to produce more healing flora than expected, they didn't use man made drugs much anymore, except those for deadly illnesses. As the Homeopathic medicine is easily taught and learned as easily, it also turns out to be safer without many side effects as Earth medications. Likewise the flora produce an eatable fruit vegetable hybrid, they could plant the seeds, mine minerals to help grow healthy crops.

Along with species of fona that became an important protein source to capture, study and if possible try to domesticate. Several generations later the children are seeing themselves as Pernian more than Earthers. Kids were the ones who came up with the name Earther, it wasn't derogatory it just evolved with a developing culture as they found pride in their new identity. This was not possible on a over populated Earth anymore, soon they found planets with no need to terraform. Reaching further out into the stars to finding new homes, in time that Humankind would not die out like our sun began too.
 
Last edited:
Danny awoke to see two huge eyes staring at her from only a foot from her face. She froze...for a second until she realized what she was looking at was a small dragon-like lizard. It's skin was a metallic green that sparkled as it's wee tail swung back and forth. It chirped at Danny. She decided to slowly reach her hand out to touch it, whispering,

"Hi little one...come here. Your so pretty..come on...I won't hurt you."

Suddenly just as Danny's fingers nearly touched the wee creature...it's wings that had been folded behind it, came out and it raised itself a foot to hover. Still chirping it watched to see what Danny would do now. Danny blinked,

"I think it wants to make friends with me."

She slowly moved the heavy arm that Triip had around her waist and pushed the covers off. With careful movements so as not to startle the creature, she slowly moved over to the food pouch and found some pieces of leftover meat. Danny then held it out to the wee dragon and cooed gently;

"Come on....here is some nice bits of meat for you..."

She stood still while it flew in closer and sniffed at the offering in her fingers. Finally it came close enough to take it from Danny and while hovering a few feet away it gulped down the morsel. Smiling Danny dug another piece of meat and offered it. This time the creature decided to be more bold. It lighted onto her hand and grasping tightly with it's sharp little claws, it reached out to the fingers holding the meat. After gulping that down it stayed on her hand and looked up at her eyes and chirped.

Danny chuckled softly as she got another small chunk of meat out. From the corner of her eye she finally noticed that Triip was watching.
 
Back
Top