Help With Hard Drive

cartepostale

Really Really Experienced
Hi. If this isn't the most appropriate part of the forum for this post, could a moderator move it?

Can anyone help me access files on an old HDD?

Just as I was going through a break-up, my old PC died. I removed the hard drive so I could transfer it's contents once I had some spare time. Anyway, it ended up in storage for a couple of years before I managed to get myself settled and I've now forgotten the password I used for Windows.

The old desktop PC was running XP and my current laptop runs Windows 7. I also have a very old and very slow laptop which runs XP. I bought a kit to hook up the old hard drive to my laptops. When I plug it into the XP laptop, it's not (unsurprisingly) recognised. My window 7 laptop does recognise it.

It doesn't ask me for a password and allows me to navigate around the drive. I am able to view some files, which strikes me as odd, as I only ever remember setting a password to log into the machine, not individual folders. The files I can't open, I can see in folders (though not as thumbnails).

I've tried changing ownership of individual files, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks for reading!

Hi. If this isn't the most appropriate part of the forum for this post, could a moderator move it?

Can anyone help me access files on an old HDD?

Just as I was going through a break-up, my old PC died. I removed the hard drive so I could transfer it's contents once I had some spare time. Anyway, it ended up in storage for a couple of years before I managed to get myself settled and I've now forgotten the password I used for Windows.

The old desktop PC was running XP and my current laptop runs Windows 7. I also have a very old and very slow laptop which runs XP. I bought a kit to hook up the old hard drive to my laptops. When I plug it into the XP laptop, it's not (unsurprisingly) recognised. My window 7 laptop does recognise it.

It doesn't ask me for a password and allows me to navigate around the drive. I am able to view some files, which strikes me as odd, as I only ever remember setting a password to log into the machine, not individual folders. The files I can't open, I can see in folders (though not as thumbnails).

I've tried changing ownership of individual files, but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks for reading!

Have you tried to access them through administration mode, either that or try to open them in compatibility mode

Wow! That was quick! I don't think I've tried either of those things. Could you tell me how I do?

all you should have to do is instead of left clicking the file, right click it, and then that will bring up the menu and there should be an open in admin mode, and if that doesn't work you can look in the properties folder and see if there is an option to change compatibility

Thanks. I've right-clicked on the folder and selected Properties. Then select the Security tab and on that page pressed the Advanced button down the bottom. On the new page I selected the Owner tab. Then clicked Edit. Then, in Change Owner To, selected the user i want to change the ownership to and pressed OK.

Should I set up an Administrator account on the laptop?

Thanks. I've right-clicked on the folder and selected Properties. Then select the Security tab and on that page pressed the Advanced button down the bottom. On the new page I selected the Owner tab. Then clicked Edit. Then, in Change Owner To, selected the user i want to change the ownership to and pressed OK.

Should I set up an Administrator account on the laptop?

the account you have should be the administrator account if there is no other account. also have you tried to download any drivers that the hard drive might need

Thanks for the advice re the drivers. This may sound like a silly question, but should I download them into the HDD Or the laptop?

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=+USB-DSC5

I bought one of these a few years ago because my motherboard fried. The computer was just a cheap one that I used for work so I just bought a whole new computer to replace it.
You remove the old hard drive and plug it into this unit. Then plug the unit into another computer using the usb plug on the Sabrent unit. It basically turns your old hard drive into a portable one.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=+USB-DSC5

I bought one of these a few years ago because my motherboard fried. The computer was just a cheap one that I used for work so I just bought a whole new computer to replace it.
You remove the old hard drive and plug it into this unit. Then plug the unit into another computer using the usb plug on the Sabrent unit. It basically turns your old hard drive into a portable one.

There are times when the new computer won't recognize the external drive at all. Vista won't recognize a drive formatted with Windows 7. A windows 7 computer does, but Vista and XP won't. Windows 7 sees disks formatted under Vista and XP, but XP won't see a drive formatted with Vista.

Not that the drive is there but not accessible, the computer won't even see the USB drive.

Back