What are you fuckers reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.


"...[Dan] De Quille's first bit of advice, which Clemens would carry with him the rest of his career, was wise, if succinct: 'Get the facts first, then you can distort them as much as you like'...

...The temple visit inspired Twain to reflect on the blessedly simpler times before the swarms of Christian missionaries had arrived in the islands to 'make the natives permanently miserable by telling them how beautiful and how blissful a place heaven is, and how nearly impossible it is to get there.' The missionaries had shown the native Hawaiian 'how in his ignorance, he had gone and fooled away all his kinfolks to no purpose; showed him what rapture it is to work all day long for fifty cents to buy food for the next day with, as compared with fishing for pastime and lolling in the shade through eternal summer, and eating of the bounty that nobody labored to provide but nature. How sad it is,' Twain concluded, 'to think of the multitudes who have gone to their graves in this beautiful island and never know there was a hell! Privately, he groused in his notebook that 'more row [has been] made about saving these 60,000 people than [it] would take to convert hell itself.'... "


-Roy Morris, Jr.
Lighting Out For The Territory: How Samuel Clemens Headed West and Became Mark Twain
New York, N.Y. 2010.





I've read a lot of Twain over the years and have a decent collection of his works (including a couple of first editions). When I saw this book on the library's shelf, it occurred to me that I really didn't know that much about Twain's youth and early years. After thumbing through the book, I realized that I'd read and greatly enjoyed Roy Morris' earlier biography of Ambrose Bierce (Ambrose Bierce: Alone and In Bad Company).

This book proved to be an engaging read and highly informative. I heartily recommend it.




 
ok i am halfway through with sleeping beauties and i totally get why the hate was flowing from certain groups

this is so pro woman that reading it will sync all of our menses (even those of us without one)

i freaking love it

and i couldn't resist and i have it in all forms and am listening to it when i drive

book, kindle, and audio


I just started it yesterday. Some of it hit awfully close to home., so good job fellas.

I've got to wonder if Steve and Owen read Y:The Last Man. I would assume they have.
 
The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye
Just finished it. I hunger for the awesomeness of the Steig Larson originals and buy these Lagercrantz additions to the series in hopes of finding it. It's not even close.
I've read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and the following two twice, discovering them well after their release. Hours of entertainment.
 
Went to the local amenity site yesterday. Someone had dumped some books!:eek::mad: I managed to filch one on WWII poetry. I discovered when I got home it is the companion volume to one of WWI poetry I already own.

We also nicked "The Book Thief"
 
Went to the local amenity site yesterday. Someone had dumped some books!:eek::mad: I managed to filch one on WWII poetry. I discovered when I got home it is the companion volume to one of WWI poetry I already own.

We also nicked "The Book Thief"

What kind of fucking degenerate throws books away?
 
Our thoughts also. We have a Free Presbyterian Church nearby.

We went to London earlier this year. I took her (my daughter) to Foyles.
 
51-zM8OJEIL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
 
Well now...

I love the book reviews in WSJ; and that paper takes me 3 hours to read!!!
 
51-%2B74IGcjL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg


So I won this book on GoodReads. It was honestly lough out loud funny at times. I'm very excited to see there is already a second book in the series and a third one available for pre-order.

But now I'm switching genres and reading Celete Ng's Everything I Never Told You.
 
I started The Lonely Hearts Hotel as my audiobook, having no idea what it was about. So far it is been pretty dismal - goes quite well with the day.
 
Is the Snowman book any good, given the concept for the movie sounded good, but everyone panned shitty acting in it.

i cannot get into the book i started with, the writing is not that good but its the first, so maybe it will be better
 
Just finished...

The Happiness Hypothesis, by J Haidt. Worth the read, and I rarely read that type of book.
 
I'm reading another Star Wars book.
Darth Plagueis by James Luceno

Its really good.
 
Has anyone read "Lincoln in the Bardo"? It's kinda spendy, but sounds intriguing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top