Dark Receiver

Elron Kramer

He smiled at her

"Now that is the words that I like to hear, just go for it, yes that is how it works"

He chuckled

"You know, at first I found your loud reciting bothersome, but right now I am so glad that you did. You actually helped me making up my mind, I'll go back to theater. It always was a love of mine and I thought I should give it up"

He walked closer and gave her a friendly hug, then held her at arm's length

"Don't worry about other people, the universe tends to unfold as it should, you go for what you want to do and if you should be able to do it, you will do it"

He stepped back and went to sit down in the spot he was seated

"Now play for me Juliet one more time, this time believe the role is yours"
 
"Now that is the words that I like to hear, just go for it, yes that is how it works"

Claire smiled. After all, why not?

"You know, at first I found your loud reciting bothersome, but right now I am so glad that you did. You actually helped me making up my mind, I'll go back to theater. It always was a love of mine and I thought I should give it up"

She was amazed that he'd even consider leaving the theatre. He was clearly talented!

"Don't worry about other people, the universe tends to unfold as it should, you go for what you want to do and if you should be able to do it, you will do it"

She smiled as he hugged her. It seemed his advice was as much for himself as for her.

"Now play for me Juliet one more time, this time believe the role is yours"

She hadn't expected that.

"The same scene...?"

She queried, watching him nod and settle himself again waiting for her to repeat her recital. But that was the point, she thought. She should not think of this as merely the reciting of words as if the outcome were decided. She sat opposite him, thinking through the scene, telling her that at any minute she could change the outcome; decide not to take the potion; decide to run away; decide to mary Paris after all.
This was her wedding night and yet ... she already had a husband ...

This time Claire drew on an earlier speech, directed at the nurse.

Ay, those attires are best; but, gentle nurse,
I pray thee leave me to myself to-night;
For I have need of many orisons
To move the heavens to smile upon my state,
Which, well thou knowest, is cross and full of sin ...


From then she went directly into;

Farewell! God knows when we shall meet again..."

And repeated the speech as previously ... only this time, she WAS Juliet ...
 
Elron Kramer

He just sat there, amazed at how much she lived herself into the role. If he didn't know any better, he could have sworn that he was looking at the very creature that Shakespear wrote about right there in front of him. He could even from her acting see the chamber, the vial, hopes and dreams as well as the panic, the uncertainty, this was the way acting should be done. He smiled and the moment she finished he applauded

"Fantastico, you have the role!"
 
"Fantastico, you have the role!"

His applause and comment snapped her out of it.
She made a mock courtsey as she blushed at his enthusiasm.

"Thank you ... "

She settled down on the ground beside him.

"... Let's hope I can 'find her' again on Thursday ... "
 
Elron Kramer

He smiled at her

"Now that you have her, I am sure that after what you did just now, you can find her again just like you did now"

He chuckled

"Let's just hope there is a Romeo that can match your talents, you are really a very talented lady Claire"
 

"Now that you have her, I am sure that after what you did just now, you can find her again just like you did now"


Claire was reassured by his words. It had felt different ... much more than just a recitation of words ... more an experience.

"Let's just hope there is a Romeo that can match your talents, you are really a very talented lady Claire"


She laughed.

"I'm just a beginner ... but I guess they'll be looking at pairing as much as individual performances ... especially in this play ... guess it's up to fate ... "

She chuckled.

" ... let's hope fate is a bit luckier for me than with Juliet though ... "
 
Elron Kramer

"Heavens yes, the poor woman"

He smiled

"Have you seen the more modern version? If I remember correctly it had Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes or something like that as head characters"

He leaned against the tree

"Now that was interesting to watch, how they worked swords into the names of pistols and rifles"
 
Claire Westall

"Heavens yes, the poor woman"

Claire nodded with him.

"She seemed doomed from the start ... and no one near to help her ... I think I have issues with my parents, but honestly ... "

She chuckled and considered his question.

"Yes ... I saw that ... it was interesting ... I love Westside Story too ... another take on the same theme ... "

She seemed to consider.

"I think as long as the two key elements are kept in it, the story can transfer to any era or setting ... "
 
Elron Kramer

"That is how it always works, keep the basics and you can take any story and use it anywhere"

He picked up the book he was reading

"Like this, i have read so many fantasy books, that I know all the plot lines there is, yet here I am, reading another fantasy book. The plot stays the same, but the style of telling it, that is what makes a good story"

He placed the book on his lap

"Same thing with acting. You can take any story, but it is how you play the character, which tells the story in a different way"
 
"That is how it always works, keep the basics and you can take any story and use it anywhere"

Claire nodded.

"As long as you have the violent back drop and can convince the audience that Romeo and Juliet will do anything to be together ... "

She looked at his book. It wasn't a title or genre he was familiar with.

"Like this, i have read so many fantasy books, that I know all the plot lines there is, yet here I am, reading another fantasy book.
The plot stays the same, but the style of telling it, that is what makes a good story.
Same thing with acting.
You can take any story, but it is how you play the character, which tells the story in a different way"


Claire listened fascinated.

" ... so you decide which are the elements that must be retained ... and after that ... it's all interpretation ... ?"

She couldn't help but be increasingly impressed with him.

"I can't believe you'd consider leaving the theatre ... you seem to belong there ... "

She commented.
 
Elron Kramer

He smiled at her words

"Let's just say that my workload and my creativity got in each others' way and I had to decide one of the two. Theater doesn't pay much, so I was leaning towards the other"

He chuckled

"But you inspired me again, reminded me that it is done out of love for the theater not the money"

He glanced at his watch

"My is that the time? Strange my flatmate haven't phoned yet"

He got to his feet and held out his hand to help her up

"It was really good meeting you Claire and I will be at the auditions to see if you will make it to the group or not"
 
Claire Westall

"Let's just say that my workload and my creativity got in each others' way and I had to decide one of the two. Theater doesn't pay much, so I was leaning towards the other.
But you inspired me again, reminded me that it is done out of love for the theater not the money"


Like him, she wasn't interested in TV or film. Her only ambition was theatre.

"My is that the time? Strange my flatmate haven't phoned yet"

Claire too checked her watch and was amazed at how time had flown. She really had to head home, although she dreaded going back into that disapproving environment.

"It was really good meeting you Claire and I will be at the auditions to see if you will make it to the group or not"


She took his hand and shook it.

"It's been great ... "

She started, then queried.

"You'll be at the auditions!?!? Oh ... well .. I'll see you then ... will be good to have one person on my side ... "

She laughed and turned to go.

"I'd best get my stuff..... see you Thursday ... "

She called and retraced her steps to the other side of the bushes relieved to find her bag and scripts still there. She pushed the Phebe script away and knew that she would have to re-read Romeo and Juliet just in case she was called upon to read any others than the one she prepared. Part of her still niggled telling her she was aiming too high, but she really had felt that she could be Juliet and if there was the remotest chance, she would go for it. She had nothing to lose ... and as an added bonus Elron, her new ally, was to return to the theatre. If she could inspire him to do that, then she certainly had some talent she reasoned pushing away the nagging doubt and vowing that she really would throw everything at auditioning for Juliet ... As a newbie, she had nothing to lose ...
 
Elron Kramer

He ambled through the park and back to his flat, he just hoped that Donovan wasn't trying to light the stove. Every time he did, it seemed that he ended up singeing a few hairs off. He chuckled as he stuck the key in the door, just as he turned it, the door blew outwards, slamming him into the wall as an explosion rocks the whole building. The last thing Elron could remember was flames and then just darkness.
 
Claire somehow seemed to block out her parents' disapproval. She sat down to the evening meal and ate slowly hardly tasting the food as she considered the role of Juliet and the events in the play, not as Acts and Scenes as she had studied at school, but as events in a young girl's life ... her life ...

... a secret marriage ... a dead cousin ... a banished husband ... a forced arranged marriage and the dilemma of sin and adultery that would involve ... and then unsympathetic parents and betrayal by her confidante ... no wonder Juliet was desperate ...

She was only half aware of her parents as she left the table to go up to her room. She would take up the play and read it with new eyes, with a new point of view she decided.
 
Glen Kane

The explosion was one block away from Glen's house, he ran out of his garage and looked in horror at what seemed like an inferno where his friend Elron lived. Without thinking he ran towards the building, people was still trying to get out when he forced his way inside. Running up the stairs he found the top floor basically burning with plaster and ceiling everywhere. He carefully made his way along the corridor to Elron's door, there he saw a hand protruding from under the door. Kicking the door away he found that it was Elron, the door had shielded him from the blast and falling debris. Glen lifted Elron up and carried him outside, by that time the Fire Trucks were arriving and they took Elron from Glen, to administer first aid while they waited for the ambulance. Moments later Elron was loaded into an ambulance and driven away. Glen just stood there looking after the ambulance, Elron was darned lucky not to have gotten hurt more than he was. He walked back to his place and wondered why Elron was only coming home at this hour.
 
Claire Westall

Not only did Claire re-read the entire play, but she rehearsed every key scene in the park, not admitting that it was in the hope that she might run into Elron and then managed to get hold of Westside Story and the modern Romeo and Juliet in order to absorb herself in the themes. She had no idea how the play she was auditioning for would be staged, but she knew that she wasn't going to turn up in anything like traditional costume.

The key she concluded was to look fresh and young. As an inexperienced actress, she thought that she would bring that quality to the role naturally and thought that if she just delivered the scene in a way to allow them to eavesdrop on Juliet's life rather than getting into her head that it was a recital, then she stood as good a chance as many heading for the auditions that day.

She pulled on a cotton skirt and a simple vest top. She wore her hair loose. Hopefully they would see that she was a blank canvas and could be moulded in whatever direction they wished ...

Bethany%20Caruana3.jpg

She packed the annotated script in her bag, a bottle of water and decided that this would see her through the day.

On her way to the bus stop, she allowed her mind to speculate on the auditionees for Romeo. She remembered what Elron had said and wondered briefly how she would cope if she ever got a lead romantic role. She couldn't identify with Juliet's passion and need to be with Romeo, but she had managed to create that fiction with a faceless Romeo. When faced with an actual actor, she wondered just how she would fare ...

She got onto the bus, paying her fare and sat herself at the back, glancing into the park as she rode by. If she were honest with herself, her image of Romeo was not totally faceless. Elron had been "her Silvius", so it did not need much of a leap of imagination to weave him into her imaginary world of Juliet ... true he appeared as Mercutio, Tybalt and even Capulet ... but it could not be denied that she had no difficulty in picturing him as the male lead ...

So lost was she in thought that she almost missed her stop!
They were almost at the corner when she realised and jumped up to ring the bell and pick her way down towards the front.
With an apologetic smile and a murmured "sorry" to the bus driver who looked more amused than annoyed she jumped from the bus and turned to look at the theatre building before her.
And then the nerves kicked in.
Sure it was fine to be Juliet in her own little fantasy world, in her bedroom, even in the park with a stranger to spur her on.
But now, faced with the reality of the building and the stage and with the sight of several people who all seemed to be heading in the same direction, Claire wasn't quite so sure.

If only she'd brought her Phebe text, she reflected.
With very little revision, she could still deliver that scene.
But as it was all she had brought...
She reached for the bag ... the bag that was no longer on her shoulder!

"Oh no ... "

Her exclamation was made aloud.
No bag, no purse, no script, no water.
NOW what was she to do ...?

"Looking for this?"

She turned to see a young girl holding out her bag.

"Yesss! But .. how ... "

The girl smiled.

"You got off the stop before mine. I noticed you'd left it behind, but thought you might be long gone by now. "

Claire breathed a sigh of relief.

"No prizes for guessing where you'd be though ... Romeo and Juliet ... covered in notes .... thought you must be heading for the open auditions .... "

Claire laughed as she hauled the bag over her shoulder once more.

"Dead give away huh? You're a life saver ... I don't know how to thank you!"

The girl laughed.

"Hey no problem. Break a leg as they say .... only too glad to help ..."

With that she turned and headed off up the street.
Claire took a steadying breath and crossed the road heading off to join the cue forming at the theatre entrance ...
 
Last edited:
Glen Kane

So far it had been disastrous. Not one of the auditions could hack it as Juliet, so far he could fill most of the cast, but Romeo and Juliet was still missing. He ran his hand over his face and looked up at his assistant

"Send in the next one Miss Aldar, let's see what we have"

He wondered if the girl that Elron had spoken off when he picked him up from the hospital would be here, from what Elron said, she would be perfect.
 
Claire Westall

Half an hour standing in line had actually stilled her nerves.
She had looked around to assess the auditionees gathered around her. Many looked confident, almost conceitedly so she decided, whilst a few were literally shaking. Though she had felt like that after she got off the bus, she knew she could not let those nerves get the better of her. She had at least to do herself justice and if that wasn't good enough, then so be it.

The line moved more rapidly now and in a surprisingly short time, she found herself near the front heading for the wings at the side of the stage. To her mind people were being dismissed rather quickly and she knew that it was essential that she make a good first impression else she would not get the chance to get to the climax of the scene.

As she had with the park with Elron, Claire closed her eyes to focus on Juliet, her dilemma, the eve of that second wedding, the betrayal of all around her ...

"Next ... up the steps, front of stage ... "

The direction had come as if from nowhere.
Somehow those before her had vanished and it was now her turn. She took a steadying breath and made her way up the steps and out onto the wooden boards. As she had seen on films, the theatre was in darkness, a small light showed where a group of 3 or 4 people were seated, no doubt the panel to select. What she hadn't expected was the activity in the theatre. In the seating gloom there were people moving up and down, perhaps cleaning or maintaining the seating. Other people were milling around the stalls around the selection panel and in the wings she could see people bustling around attending to clothing, scenery and the like.

She realised she had missed the question directed at her.

"Claire ... Claire Westall ... "

She responded, her voice clear despite the initial hesitation.

"Reading for Juliet ... "

There it was said.
There was no going back now.

She put her bag aside and walked to the middle of the bare stage to stand in the spotlight and waited for the nod for her to start.
 
Last edited:
Glen Kane

He looked up wasn't that the name of the girl? He recognized her from the other night, the night when that bus ran a red light and crashed into a car. He smiled, never thought he would see her on the stage, even wearing plain clothes she looked beautiful, wonder how she would look all dressed up for the role. He made a question mark next to her name, glancing to see Elron's seat empty, where did he go? Glen sighed softly and then looked at the girl, motioning for her to start her recital.
 
Claire Westall

The light shone down on her the illumination blinding.
Claire glanced to the side and saw a woman carrying costumes and pronounced:

Ay, those attires are best;

Turning she addressed the imaginary character, her voice soft yet clear enough to carry to those listening.

” ... but, gentle nurse,
I pray thee leave me to myself to-night;
For I have need of many orisons
To move the heavens to smile upon my state,
Which, well thou knowest, is cross and full of sin ... “


With this she turned and murmured almost to herself.

”Farewell! God knows when we shall meet again...”

It no longer occurred to Claire that they might stop her.
She stepped forward and spoke to the disembodied light in the stalls.

“I have a faint cold fear thrills through my veins
That almost freezes up the heat of life.
I’ll call them back again to comfort me.
Nurse!— “


She had turned and for a moment it seemed she might run of stage. Yet then with a sigh, she faced her audience once more, her voice hard now, full of resentment for her confidante’s betrayal.

“What should she do here?
My dismal scene I needs must act alone.”


She bent to retrieve her bag and moved to the front of the stage, settling down almost at its edge and seemed to rummage through its contents to take out a prop.

“Come, vial."

No onlooker could tell by the way Claire held her hand that it was in fact empty.
To Claire the improvisation was real and so she continued as she had done in the park, the subdued lighting at the apron of the stage adding to the atmosphere of her morbid imaginings.

“How if, when I am laid into the tomb,
I wake before the time that Romeo
Come to redeem me? There’s a fearful point!
Shall I not then be stifled in the vault,
To whose foul mouth no healthsome air breathes in,
And there die strangled ere my Romeo comes?”


She halted and struggled for composure as Juliet seemed to consider the other possibility, her words, slow and full of dread now.

“Or, if I live, is it not very like
The horrible conceit of death and night,
Together with the terror of the place—
As in a vault, an ancient receptacle
Where for this many hundred years the bones
Of all my buried ancestors are pack’d;
Where bloody Tybalt, yet but green in earth,
Lies fest’ring in his shroud; where, as they say,
At some hours in the night spirits resort—
Alack, alack, is it not like that I,
So early waking— what with loathsome smells,
And shrieks like mandrakes torn out of the earth,
That living mortals, hearing them, run mad— “


As before Claire saw nothing but the spectres before her, her voice rising in panic as she continued.

“O, if I wake, shall I not be distraught,
Environed with all these hideous fears,
And madly play with my forefathers’ joints,
And pluck the mangled Tybalt from his shroud,
And, in this rage, with some great kinsman’s bone
As with a club dash out my desp’rate brains? “


The pause as she looked out into the gloom, watching the shapes of people moving between the seats as a child might imagine ghosts in the darkness.

“O, look! methinks I see my cousin’s ghost
Seeking out Romeo, that did spit his body
Upon a rapier’s point.


And now she was scrambling backwards as if fleeing a real threat.

” Stay, Tybalt, stay!

She seemed to come to a halt, curling her legs protectively to her as she seemed to watch the spirit pass on. Then, the vial still in her hand, she raised it, her eye fixed now on that imaginary receptacle.

”Romeo, I come! this do I drink to thee.”

She lifted the “vial” to her lips and hesitated as if faltering, then seemed to take courage and throw the liquid down her throat as so much foul medicine.

Claire had never rehearsed Juliet’s reaction to the potion and now just depended on her instinct and imagination. Rather than dropping instantly, this Juliet felt the stupor weigh her down gradually. Each limb seemed to become heavy, until her body slumped, her breath short now and her head heavy. Slowly she sank down as if vitality were seeping from her, her eyes closing and hands relaxing as she gave a final sigh.

Around her for long moments all was silent.
 
Elron Krame

He came from the one side, unannounced and unexpected, seeming to carry a body in his arms, his voice slightly hoarse from smoke inhalation.

"In faith, I will. Let me peruse this face. Mercutio's kinsman, noble County Paris! What said my man, when my betossed soul did not attend him as we rode? I think he told me Paris should have married Juliet: Said he not so? or did I dream it so? Or am I mad, hearing him talk of Juliet, to think it was so? O, give me thy hand, one writ with me in sour misfortune's book! I'll bury thee in a triumphant grave; a grave? O no! a lantern, slaughter'd youth, for here lies Juliet, and her beauty makes this vault a feasting presence full of light. Death, lie thou there, by a dead man interr'd."

He motioned to lie down the body, then slowly moved over towards Claire, sorrow clearly written on his face.

"How oft when men are at the point of death have they been merry! Which their keepers call a lightning before death: O, how may I call this a lightning? O my love! my wife! Death, that hath suck'd the honey of thy breath, hath had no power yet upon thy beauty: Thou art not conquer'd; beauty's ensign yet is crimson in thy lips and in thy cheeks, and death's pale flag is not advanced there. Tybalt, liest thou there in thy bloody sheet? O, what more favour can I do to thee, than with that hand that cut thy youth in twain to sunder his that was thine enemy? Forgive me, cousin! Ah, dear Juliet, why art thou yet so fair? shall I believe that unsubstantial death is amorous, and that the lean abhorred monster keeps thee here in dark to be his paramour? For fear of that, I still will stay with thee; and never from this palace of dim night depart again: here, here will I remain with worms that are thy chamber-maids; O, here will I set up my everlasting rest, and shake the yoke of inauspicious stars from this world-wearied flesh."

He knelt down next to Claire, looking down at her

"Eyes, look your last!"

Lifting her into his arms

"Arms, take your last embrace! and, lips, O you the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss"

He moved to kiss her cheek, stopping just short and then tenderly laid Claire down again

"A dateless bargain to engrossing death! Come, bitter conduct, come, unsavoury guide! Thou desperate pilot, now at once run on the dashing rocks thy sea-sick weary bark!"

Withdrawing what seems like a vial from a pocket he hefted it, pulling a stopper free

"Here's to my love!"

Hesitating and then downing the liquid, he choked softly

"O true apothecary! Thy drugs are quick. Thus with a kiss I die."

He gasped for breath and fell down next to Claire

Glen Kane

He just sat there staring, she was perfect, he wanted her as his Juliet and there would be no arguing that point. She made him see the decor without it being there, she was Juliet the moment she opened her mouth. Then Elron made his appearance and Glen had to grin, then this is the girl that Elron had mentioned. He studied Elron, apart from a slight limp and a bit of stiffness in his actions, he didn't seem worse for wear. Of course the voice that carried all the sorrow of the world moved his fellow selectors to tears and he just shook his head

"Show off"

He turned to the rest of the panel

"I think we have our main characters?"

They just nodded their agreement, Glen got up and clapped his hands and the other people who had witnessed the act in front of them applauded as well. He strolled down to the stage and deftly jumped on

"Well Miss Westall, Mr Kramer you two will be our star crossed lovers"

He walked closer and helped them both up

"Elron I think you have found a lady who will take our world by the horns and toss it around"

He turned to Claire

"That was fantastic, if you can do that every time, I am sure that I will become a very rich man and make you a star"

He chuckled at his joke

"There is more auditions, so please come sit with us, we have many things to discuss"
 
Claire Westall

Around her for long moments all was silent then a voice seemed to come from the side, the words unfamiliar to her as they were out of chronology. Behind closed eyes, she panicked trying to get a handle on the words that were being spoken and though it seemed like an age in seconds she had located the scene shift.

"... O no! a lantern, slaughter'd youth, for here lies Juliet, and her beauty makes this vault a feasting presence full of light. Death, lie thou there, by a dead man interr'd."

The actor who had entered was playing Romeo, his final scene. She had suspected that there could be a curve ball thrown to see how compatible she might be playing opposite any male hopeful. That must mean that they were interested at least.

He motioned to lie down the body, then slowly moved over towards Claire, sorrow clearly written on his face.

".. . Ah, dear Juliet, why art thou yet so fair?”

Claire focused on “playing dead” convincingly, both listening to the lines in case she had to go on to play Juliet’s waking scene, but also to enable her fellow actor the freedom to audition to the best of his ability.

”O, here will I set up my everlasting rest, and shake the yoke of inauspicious stars from this world-wearied flesh.
Eyes, look your last!"


Somehow she found it easy enough to remain unresponsive as he lifted her and did not even have to concern herself with any reaction to the "... righteous kiss ... " before he laid her back on the ground once more.

"A dateless bargain to engrossing death! Come, bitter conduct, come, unsavoury guide! Thou desperate pilot, now at once run on the dashing rocks thy sea-sick weary bark!
Here's to my love!"


Like her, he had not chosen to “die” with a theatrical choking.

"O true apothecary! Thy drugs are quick. Thus with a kiss I die."

Again death came before the kiss and Claire felt him fall to lay companionably beside her. It was reassuring to have some “company” down there on the wooden boards and was sure they would not want her to launch into another scene when the words from the auditioning panel rang out.

"Show off"

Claire was sure he didn’t direct the words to her, yet she blinked and sat up, turning towards “Romeo” to see if he had any clue as to how to proceed.

”Elron...?”

She blinked as she saw the familiar face grinning back at hers.

”But ... “

Beyond him the panel were applauding as one of them approached and jumped up onto the stage.

"Well Miss Westall, Mr Kramer you two will be our star crossed lovers"

Claire was speechless and allowed herself to be helped up and stared at both the man in charge and Elron equally shocked to have ended up auditioning with Elron and then to have gotten to part to play opposite him!

"Elron I think you have found a lady who will take our world by the horns and toss it around"

It seemed they knew each other, but then Elron had told her that he had a background in the theatre, she had not realised that he was actually connected or interested in this particular production!

"That was fantastic, if you can do that every time, I am sure that I will become a very rich man and make you a star"

She was overwhelmed by his praise, but laughed remembering what Elron had said about the theatre not being a place to make big money.

"There is more auditions, so please come sit with us, we have many things to discuss"

She reached down to pick up her bag and followed Elron and the other man off the stage, noticing for the first time that Elron walked slightly stiffly.

”Are you ok?”

She queried quietly as they took a seat.
 
Elron Kramer

"There was an explosion at my place, if you haven't detained me as long as you had I would have been dead by now"

He glanced at Glen

"And if he didn't brave a burning building to drag my sorry carcass out I would have burned to death"

Glen Kane

He chuckled at Elron's words

"I can see that it was not a bad detaining at all, she would keep me busy for hours just listening to her recite a play"

He gently patted Elron's shoulder

"Just glad you made it out buddy, I'm just glad that I didn't lose you yet, you promised me back in sixth grade that you will carry my sorry ass to the grave"

They shared a laugh and Glen looked at Claire

"Elron here left the acting business for quite some time, I have been badgering him for a long time to come and just look at the auditions. He came today and didn't have much of a choice, because he is staying over at my place. But alas it seems like Mr Kramer had me fooled this morning with his reluctance to come"
 
"There was an explosion at my place, if you haven't detained me as long as you had I would have been dead by now"

Claire gasped in shock. There seemed so many freak accidents around of late!

"And if he didn't brave a burning building to drag my sorry carcass out I would have burned to death"

She shuddered and looked across at the other man with admiration.

"I can see that it was not a bad detaining at all, she would keep me busy for hours just listening to her recite a play"

Claire blushed, but could not help but be touched by the cameraderie of the two men.

"Just glad you made it out buddy, I'm just glad that I didn't lose you yet, you promised me back in sixth grade that you will carry my sorry ass to the grave"

They seemed to share a somewhat dark type of humour, but Claire could not help but be spooked by Elron's brush with death.

"Elron here left the acting business for quite some time, I have been badgering him for a long time to come and just look at the auditions. He came today and didn't have much of a choice, because he is staying over at my place. But alas it seems like Mr Kramer had me fooled this morning with his reluctance to come"

She looked from one to the other. She had begun to have a creeping suspicion that this could be a set up. That Elron had arranged for her to get the part and opposite him, but she had seen how suprised they had been by Elron's appearance.

"So ... you had no idea Elron was going to read in Romeo?"

She asked, glancing back to the stage as another auditionee entered.

"... and despite Elron's rave reviews, you're sure you've got the right casting ..?"

She just had to check that she hadn't gotten the part just because he and Elron were so close and because he seemed keen to get Elron back in the theatre, at any cost ...
 
Glen Kane

"Oh I'm very sure about that, just listen to this one"

He motioned for the girl to begin

" O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet.
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself."

The panel sighed and he leaned over to her

"You see? She sounds bored by what she does. That is not what I want, I want life, I want spunk, I want somebody who can make the audience believe what they see. Not somebody reciting lines out of their head"

"Glen?"

He looked over at the panel and cocked an eyebrow

"What do you guys think?"

They shook their heads and he shrugged

"Thank you, we will let you know, just leave your details with Miss Swann"

He turned his attention back to Claire

"I have heard Act II, Scene II so much today that I want to strange old Will in his grave"
 
Back
Top