Opinions, critiques, etc.

When it comes to mother/son incest, there's only one reviewer whose comment matters, and he seemed to like your work.

What more could you want than that?

It would appear (in this case) that I can write a story that people enjoy and are looking forward too, perhaps form an attachment with, not everyone is going to, but enough people have that I want to continue writing.

A weakness of mine as I saw (even before I asked for feedback) was the technical side of my writing, my editing skills ... asking for feedback I was hoping to really get a sense of where I needed work on that. Answer to that: Everywhere. ... I'm not bothered by Robert's inability to read my work (that's one opinion among many), I'm bothered how he phrased it after attempting to point out what he saw as weaknesses (the first time) & still perceived that as 'helping.' There was no need for the jello comment if he wanted to offer constructive criticism. I feel some people who answer the feedback page are typing more for themselves than for others.

I appreciate your positive reinforcement AZ, thank you for that.

And reading the passage stills feels like swimming through jello; a good description, I think, of the way the writing slows down the reader. Not an insult, a metaphor. One can tell by the word "like".

It would appear (in this case) that I can write a story that people enjoy and are looking forward too, perhaps form an attachment with, not everyone is going to, but enough people have that I want to continue writing.
My impression is that an enjoyable premise and decent writing skills will get you a good score. But...

A weakness of mine as I saw (even before I asked for feedback) was the technical side of my writing, my editing skills ... asking for feedback I was hoping to really get a sense of where I needed work on that. Answer to that: Everywhere.
To me, editing is where you learn to improve your writing skills. There are some writers who write so well that all they need to do is a second pass to touch up a few errors and their story is ready to publish. You are not that type of writer, and neither am I. I finished the first draft of my current story on March 4th and I'm still refining it.

At the same time, it's not like you are going to get paid any more money for spending hours honing your story. If you want to spend your time writing and blow off the editing, go right ahead. Just be aware that your scores and your number of comments won't be as good as they could be.

... I'm not bothered by Robert's inability to read my work (that's one opinion among many), I'm bothered how he phrased it after attempting to point out what he saw as weaknesses (the first time) & still perceived that as 'helping.' There was no need for the jello comment if he wanted to offer constructive criticism. I feel some people who answer the feedback page are typing more for themselves than for others.
I'm sure Robert meant well. He took time out of his day to read your story and then think of some feedback for you. I think the issue is that he thought blunt feedback would be the best way of helping you and you had a hard time hearing the message because of the tone.

Three months ago, a writer PM'd me and asked if I could give her some guidance. When I replied, I said, "When I give feedback, I prefer to be brutally honest, but I know a lot of people can't handle that level of criticism. What kind of feedback are you looking for?" She replied, "I honestly would like you to be brutally honest." Once I gave her my criticism, her reply implied to me that I had hurt her feelings so she had rejected my feedback. Stuff like that happens when you can't get any body language feedback from the other person.

Jell-O. The name is trademarked. ;)

Off topic, I wonder how Jell-O feels about Cosby now?

Regardless of how messages appeared on this forum, there was plenty of useful information for me to look at. At the very least, this was a help.

My impression is that an enjoyable premise and decent writing skills will get you a good score. But...

To me, editing is where you learn to improve your writing skills. There are some writers who write so well that all they need to do is a second pass to touch up a few errors and their story is ready to publish. You are not that type of writer, and neither am I.

I believe that whole heartedly, especially since I tend to write my smut, my erotic smut, while under the influence of alcohol and even if I became an expert in grammar, 1 time read through will most likely not be a enough.

Off topic, I wonder how Jell-O feels about Cosby now?

Regardless of how messages appeared on this forum, there was plenty of useful information for me to look at. At the very least, this was a help.

I think their response would be, "Cosby who?"

And reading the passage stills feels like swimming through jello; a good description, I think, of the way the writing slows down the reader. Not an insult, a metaphor. One can tell by the word "like".

Metaphors are used as insults all the time ... I know now, not your intent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three months ago, a writer PM'd me and asked if I could give her some guidance. When I replied, I said, "When I give feedback, I prefer to be brutally honest, but I know a lot of people can't handle that level of criticism. What kind of feedback are you looking for?"

Feedback should be completely honest ... but there is brutal honesty, which is just the truth about a person's weaknesses, perceived weaknesses, and so on (readers have shown that what editors believe to be terrible writers are very enjoyable for the 'average' person), but brutal honesty should not be phrased in such a way to make the author feel insulted or dejected, and then there is just brutal (That Jell-O comment was far from brutal, so that is clear).

I'm going to call it quits on this thread for a while (I hope) ... message boards, you read and you want to responds. Over and over and over again.

You should have been around a few years ago when Jenny Jackson was giving critiques on this forum.

To me, editing is where you learn to improve your writing skills. There are some writers who write so well that all they need to do is a second pass to touch up a few errors and their story is ready to publish. You are not that type of writer, and neither am I. I finished the first draft of my current story on March 4th and I'm still refining it.

At the same time, it's not like you are going to get paid any more money for spending hours honing your story. If you want to spend your time writing and blow off the editing, go right ahead. Just be aware that your scores and your number of comments won't be as good as they could be.

I'm sure Robert meant well. He took time out of his day to read your story and then think of some feedback for you. I think the issue is that he thought blunt feedback would be the best way of helping you and you had a hard time hearing the message because of the tone.

Three months ago, a writer PM'd me and asked if I could give her some guidance. When I replied, I said, "When I give feedback, I prefer to be brutally honest, but I know a lot of people can't handle that level of criticism. What kind of feedback are you looking for?" She replied, "I honestly would like you to be brutally honest." Once I gave her my criticism, her reply implied to me that I had hurt her feelings so she had rejected my feedback. Stuff like that happens when you can't get any body language feedback from the other person.

BRUTALLY HONEST in 2015 means I WISH I COULD GIVE YOUR STORY 6 STARS. But the writer is pissed cuz you say 6 not 7.

Where modern writers fail is when they behold a flake of gold in their wares but ignore the mound of crap about it.

Calm down James, what I submitted was a first draft with a drunk read through, I don't expect a 7, the 6 will do, I'm not greedy.

Honestly though, I liked your feedback (I even changed the sentence) and I will probably re-submit in the future, future changes.

I don't like how you present yourself.

It's not nice. It's not friendly. It's a caricature of a persona that never existed and I have no time for it. (I have enough time to answer your post) but it's not attractive in a person.

If you spoke plain and sincere without the attitude (and you do try to impose your attitude) I'd have no problem with what you say.

It's all about presentation.

No hard feelings James, on my part.

Back