'Soul mates' fact or friction?

TDRay1612

Virgin
Does anyone believe in soul mates? (state your reasons please)

Last edited:
sissy believes in soul mates as most people refer to them, they are people that you click with, they know what you are thinking. They are a reflex without saying a word, someone that finishes a sentence you started.
They are like your twin in how you think and act, do you believe in that?

I'll bite. Do I believe in a predestined mate? Nope. To believe in predestined mates means I'll have to accept the concept of fate, and I can't reconcile predestination with free will.

That said, there are some people with whom you not only click with, but that being with them makes sense (by the way, I am also talking about platonic friendships as just making sense). It's a compatible intensity that might develop into a deeper intimacy, might not. There's a kindredness, a connection that could be perceived as 'soul mates'; but might be a simple compatibility.

Some 'soul mates' pass through our lives quickly, and we learn a lot about ourselves. Others burn steadily through time.

So, for me, 'soul mates' or 'kindred spirits' or whatnots are just terms we use to describe an intense intimacy, a deeper connection that just makes sense as opposed to the traditional understanding of 'having a mate for everyone'.

Just my rambling thoughts. :)

Last edited:
In the classic romantic sense I believe - yes, but very rare.

In the more colloquial sense, as in kindred spirits or "soul groups", I think that is more common outside of the romantic sphere. We encounter folks in this world that we just click with - there is an instant level of intimacy and comfort that blossoms into or because of great intense friendships - some of sort duration, some of long duration.

I do believe in fate, I think God has a master plan that we're not privy too and that unfolds over the course of our life - but I think it's just a high level plan with a few key milestones and in between those milestones we have a great range of free will. I conceive of them as key experiences that have happened to us or will happen to us - and what we make of them is the life lesson or soul lesson.

I agree with Fire, sometimes hearts/souls are just attracted to one another. I do not believe I have to search the earth to find my one true soul mate.

I have

A soul mate.
We know everything about each other.
We have never met.
And we are both married.

I do believe in Soulmates. I believe there are Soulmates with whom we become romantically involved with, and those with whom we were simply meant to be friends with but whom we would go to the ends of the earth to protect. We may bump into others that we love and have affection for, and we always have other friends, but when we find our Soulmates, nothing can compare to that feeling. Unfortunately, not everyone is able to find their Soulmates, and some find their Soulmates to late. However even if its to late, at least you still found them and can have them in your lives.

Soul mate. That's a tough one.

Two people on the same wavelength, so that each feels or senses what the other one is experiencing? Well, that's mighty rare. Although these people do exist. I've personally known a few of them, and watched them interact. I know a couple that never dated anybody but each other, got married at eighteen, raised a family, and stayed together until the wife died maybe forty years later. The husband told me that they never had an argument in all that time. I think they were true soul mates.

Two people who, although not on each other's wavelength, trust each other enough to argue and share and challenge each other, and recognize that their partner helps them reach their own potential? Still rare. But I've seen this relationship, too. There doesn't even have to be a romantic element involved. They can be siblings (the Wright brothers) or business partners (Sears and Roebuck) or artistic collaborators (Scorsesi and DeNiro), but the essential bond is that they didn't let the other partner get away with much, and acted as reality checks on each other's ideas.

It's interesting to see what happens to one of them when the other leaves the picture. Very often, it's the end of his or her career or influence. The survivors don't have the whetstone to keep their skills sharp.

Soul mate. That's a tough one.

Two people on the same wavelength, so that each feels or senses what the other one is experiencing? Well, that's mighty rare. Although these people do exist. I've personally known a few of them, and watched them interact. I know a couple that never dated anybody but each other, got married at eighteen, raised a family, and stayed together until the wife died maybe forty years later. The husband told me that they never had an argument in all that time. I think they were true soul mates.

Two people who, although not on each other's wavelength, trust each other enough to argue and share and challenge each other, and recognize that their partner helps them reach their own potential? Still rare. But I've seen this relationship, too. There doesn't even have to be a romantic element involved. They can be siblings (the Wright brothers) or business partners (Sears and Roebuck) or artistic collaborators (Scorsesi and DeNiro), but the essential bond is that they didn't let the other partner get away with much, and acted as reality checks on each other's ideas.

It's interesting to see what happens to one of them when the other leaves the picture. Very often, it's the end of his or her career or influence. The survivors don't have the whetstone to keep their skills sharp.

Athalia;
I really like your use of 'whetstone' to describe the interaction between kindred souls, whether it be platonic, decisive or romantic. One truly does sharpen the other.

I'll bite. Do I believe in a predestined mate? Nope. To believe in predestined mates means I'll have to accept the concept of fate, and I can't reconcile predestination with free will.

That said, there are some people with whom you not only click with, but that being with them makes sense (by the way, I am also talking about platonic friendships as just making sense). It's a compatible intensity that might develop into a deeper intimacy, might not. There's a kindredness, a connection that could be perceived as 'soul mates'; but might be a simple compatibility.

Some 'soul mates' pass through our lives quickly, and we learn a lot about ourselves. Others burn steadily through time.

So, for me, 'soul mates' or 'kindred spirits' or whatnots are just terms we use to describe an intense intimacy, a deeper connection that just makes sense as opposed to the traditional understanding of 'having a mate for everyone'.

Just my rambling thoughts. :)

Very well put. I especially like that you imply there may be multiple "soul mates" for each person.

Athalia;
I really like your use of 'whetstone' to describe the interaction between kindred souls, whether it be platonic, decisive or romantic. One truly does sharpen the other.

Maybe that's what the OP meant when he or she entitled the thread "fact or friction."

While waiting around before class today I saw a flyer advertising a 1/2 day seminar on "Soul Mates and Body Types". It seemed to imply a connection between different body types and finding and understanding a soul mate. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow if I remember.

I guess my question is can you have more than one soul mate?

I don't see why not. It's a little trickier if it's simultaneous rather than sequential, but if everybody's on the same page, it's a beautiful thing.

I didn't. Logistics and freewill makes the concept improbably rare.

Then I did. For me. Convergence of unlikely compatabillities.

Then I didn't. even taking free will into account a soulmate coming to that sort of life-changing decision, would not be able to handle it that poorly.

Ultimately all you have is you and your ability to communicate and get what you need from others.

I was never a believer, until I met the most wonderful guy in the world. We just seemed to fit, we both felt complete with each other, never ever had a cross word, laughed all the time, intimacy was amazing and there was just a huge sexual chemistry that never ever subsided. We could sit and not say anything and just be content to be in each others company. I have never felt so loved, nor loved someone as much. We dated for 4 years and then got married, sadly he was killed in a road accident 3 months later. So yes I do believe in soul mates, I have never met anyone I was so compatible with before or since.

Having been married to mine for twenty years, I have to believe in soulmates.

We BOTH felt we were soulmates from the moment we met which was online but not on a dating or sex related site. Fate brought us together as there is no other explanation nor could there be a more perfect union. We were both previously married to people who were decidedly not our soulmates.

There have never been secrets between us. We share the same interests in everything from music, to literature (mostly non-fiction science and history) to hobbies, to passions, to kinks and fetishes.

I can't even entertain the thought of living without her.

Having been married to mine for twenty years, I have to believe in soulmates.

We BOTH felt we were soulmates from the moment we met which was online but not on a dating or sex related site. Fate brought us together as there is no other explanation nor could there be a more perfect union. We were both previously married to people who were decidedly not our soulmates.

There have never been secrets between us. We share the same interests in everything from music, to literature (mostly non-fiction science and history) to hobbies, to passions, to kinks and fetishes.

I can't even entertain the thought of living without her.
wow, how wonderful

I believe it exists but very hard to find..I think only lucky do...others try to make it work with there partners...

Fact for us

We figured out many years ago that we were supposed to be together. We were married 53 years ago and I still love looking at her and talking to her. Sex is still hot though not as often as it once was. So our belief is that we are true soul mates.

I don't see why not. It's a little trickier if it's simultaneous rather than sequential, but if everybody's on the same page, it's a beautiful thing.

I think if you have an open heart it is possible then what to do.....like you said same page is critical.

Back