The Tavern Down at Old Caernarvon (closed for heartofcourage)

Durban had to fight back arousal at the moan she gave, such a sound was like a dog whistle in the sweetest way possible to him. And as she pulled back and spoke again, he met her eyes. "... I'll come back," he told her, "I don'... really 'ave an 'ome. I'm a nomad... I'll come back t'ya, I promise."
 
“Then perhaps, Durban, we might explore what is between us.” She said, seeing the look of lust in his eyes. She quickly raised her hand, blocking his next kiss with a little laugh. “But you must ask my father and grandfather for permission to court me first.”

Her family was very traditional, one that honored both family and the sanctity of what family gave them. They would have expected her to present any potential lover to them and that was what she asked of Durban.
 
Durban nodded to her, but then paused, "Won' they be sorta... un'appy 'bout th'idea o' a perfect stranger courtin' ya? We only jus' met..." He didn't seem confident that they'd accept.
 
“I’m sorry, Ban, but that is the way it is with my family. You may ask and they will give you an answer.” She said with a simple shrug of her shoulders. “Would you simply allow your daughter to court a man she wanted without permission?”

Marri smiled gently and kissed his cheek, returning his show of affection with a little sigh. “Work on Grandpa first. He’ll get my Da in check.”
 
Durban gave her a wicked smirk, "I'm almost tempted t'convince ya t'break th'rules." He chuckled deeply and embraced her adoringly. "I don' know 'ow y'did this t'me... I ne'er thought it was possible."
 
Marri rested her cheek against his shoulder, feeling at peace for the first time in such a long time. Durban had that effect on her and she was nervous that her family would say no to their courting. It would break her heart, but they at least needed to try.

“Don’t break my heart, Durban.” She said softly, knowing that the great, strong man would never do such a thing.
 
"Never," he whispered. "E'en if they say no..." He gave her neck a gentle, adoring kiss, the sort that didn't lead to more, but rather one of simple love. He laid his head against hers and his eyes turned to the sky, thanking his Goddess for the chance to meet Marri. He spoke once more, "Marri... no matter wha' they say... t'night, will ya come with me t'a special place...? I foun' it las' year, just off down th'river. I want ya t'see it."
 
Marri felt her heart squeeze tightly as he kissed her throat and asked her to come with him tonight, no matter what her family said. She nodded quickly, her heart racing with the thought of going with him somewhere.

“I would have to sneak away after the tavern’s closed…” She said softly, her lips finding his for another gentle kiss. She couldn’t get enough of him.
 
"I'll 'elp ya close up then s' we can go sooner," he offered after another kiss. The huge Scotsman took her hands. "Let's go, then... Th' busier we are, th'sooner th'time'll pass." He followed her loyally back to the tavern, and he took Lysander aside to speak to him a while. It wasn't until a half-hour had passed that the two returned and Lysander seemed deep in thought and maybe a little confused. Durban looked rather nervous.
 
Marri made herself busy as Durban took her grandfather aside. She made the cabbage stew for that evening and then looked nervously as they returned. Durban didn’t look encouraged and her grandfather looked deep in thought. She made a motion to Durban, telling him to leave the two of them alone for a moment.

“Grandpa, is there something on your mind?” She asked him sweetly, her hand taking his and holding it warmly. “You know you can always talk to me.”
 
"What's going on with you and that lad? You only just met him and he's asking to court you," Lysander met her eyes worriedly. "I'm not sure I like it. He's a good man and all, but he's a Highlander, and a nomad no less..." He sighed and shook his head, "I'll have to tell him no."
 
Marri’s entire world fell away from her as her grandfather told her that he was going to say no. She gripped his hand tightly, shaking her head in disagreement.

“He’s a good man, Grandpa. He loves me and I think that I love him.” She said softly, hoping that he would see things her way. “It doesn’t matter that he’s a Highlander. Gran was from France and that never stopped you. You always say that when you know you’re meant for someone you just know. I just know with Durban.”
 
"You haven't even known him twenty-four hours and you think he loves you?" Lysander looked at her in shock and even a little disappointment at her foolishness. "Marri... I've always trusted your judgment before... but not this time. It's a no, and you're not changing my mind." He pulled away from her and went to tell Durban.
 
Marri felt her entire world shatter when her grandfather told her no. She watched as he pulled away from her, going to tell Durban what his answer was. She felt the tears rise and she couldn’t stop them from falling as she hurried from the tavern into the house, locking herself in her bedroom. She sobbed on her pillow, her heart aching more than she ever thought possible. Surely she would die from this kind of pain…
 
It wasn't very long before she heard something at her open window, and suddenly, Durban climbed in. How in the world had he climbed up to the second story without a ladder? He came to her side, looking quite disappointed himself, but he knelt down at her bedside quietly, not speaking, only waiting for when she might want to talk.
 
“He won’t consent.” She said in a miserable voice, turning her tearstained face towards Durban as he knelt beside her bed. “What are we going to do, Ban?” She asked him softly, a fresh wave of tears making their way down her cheeks.
 
"I tol' ya, darlin'," he comforted her lovingly, "no matter wha' they say, if ya wan' t'be with me, y'will be." He leaned in to wipe tears from her cheeks.
 
Marri looked at Durban for a long moment, considering his words. She didn’t want to upset her family, but she had never felt this way about a man before. He was kind and gentle, he looked as if he loved her. She wanted him with all of her heart. She let out a deep sigh as Durban dried her eyes.

“Then let’s be married tonight.” She blurted out, her cheeks already blushing at the thought of being married to Durban.
 
"Why wait?" He kissed her forehead. "Le's go, righ' now. If we slip out th'window, they'll ne'er see us." He took her hand, awaiting her answer. "We won' tell 'em, an' I'll take ya t'Scotland soon, as a honeymoon."
 
“Yes…” She murmured, kissing him as soon as she gave him her answer. She wrapped her arms around his neck and held him tightly, her heart racing at the thought that she was soon to disobey her family. “Let’s go now.”

Marri pulled away and looked at Durban, giving him a nervous smile as she allowed him to pull her from the bed and towards the window.
 
Durban helped her down as gingerly as possible before dropping down beside her, and he took her hand, urging her to lead them to the nearest church. He didn't know the town well enough to find it. "Lead on, lass," he said softly after kissing her lips.
 
Marri squeezed his hand tightly, smiling up at him as he kissed her lips gently. She couldn’t believe she was doing this as she pulled him not to the neighboring church but to the one across town. News was less likely to spread from there. She pulled open the door for Durban and as she led him down the aisle, they were met by one of the priests.

“Father, we’d like to be wed, if that is possible.” She told him, looking to Durban with a grin.
 
"Oh!" The priest looked at them in surprise. "Well, of course, but... don't you have anyone with you?"

"No, sir," Durban shook his head. "Spur o' th'moment thing, y'see."

"Ah, lovers eloping, lovely," the priest chuckled. "Of course, if you'll just give me a moment, several sisters and brothers may be your witnesses." He turned about and went to gather them.
 
Marri gripped Durban’s hands tightly as he went to gather the witnesses. She was nervous, her mind reeling from the hurried actions of everything. She looked up into his dark eyes and knew she was making the right choice, but she still worried about how her family would react.

“Durban, I think we need to keep this secret after it is done. Give my family some time to warm up to you.” She said softly.
 
"Tha's what I planned on," he nodded, kissing her cheek. The priest soon welcomed them up to the front together, opening up his book with a smile while one of the sisters gave Marri a small bouquet. The priest began reading from the book the ties of marriage and whatnot, but Durban couldn't take his eyes off of Marri. What had come over him... he didn't care.
 
Back
Top