Copland (Closed)

That was Johnny, you know all there is to know really. I mostly use him when I have a case concerning drugs, he's small time but knows the players. He likes banging the grads. They play with him for weed and oxy when he has it but all in all he's small time. Feel free to shake that tree any time you need answers.

"Thanks." She absentmindedly looked out the window, not really seeing the landscape pass by the window. This whole thing bothered her. What was in the other bedroom that Mr. Marten didn't know was missing? Or did he know and hoped that they wouldn't ask? Those notches in the doorframe had been deliberately made. Three notches. Did that mean something?

She pulled up the photos that she had taken with her phone. That one picture of the bed bothered her. But she couldn't put her finger on it. What was it?

This should work a little better! You good with this place. The hospital is close so we can eat, talk to the wife then head to the Flooring place see what we can dig up.

She didn't even notice where they were or Jake slipping his throw away in the glove compartment. She was almost there.

Finally the silence broke through her concentration. Doyle was waiting for an answer but she had missed the question.

"Sorry Doyle. I have a tendency to be like a dog with a bone when it comes to puzzles. Let's eat. The burnt toast I had for breakfast has been long ago digested."

She climbed out of the car, heading for the door to Outback. "I think that a steak sounds good."
 
"No problem! I can get pretty focused at times too." Jake said and kept rambling about nothing in particular, part of it was a defense mechanism, part was a nervous tick. He hated silence so if there was some he broke it by talking. He could tell that Davis was not paying any attention but that didn't concern him. At this point the only thing on his mind was what she was like in bed.

"Ya I think we earned a steak! What's on your mind. I don't really know you but I can see that you are deeper in thought then you were an hour ago and not much has changed. So either you have a pressing engagement, or you are thinking of the case. Or I'm missing something entirely!" Jake said walking with her to the doors. A good looking hostess seated them in the lounge. A baseball game was on the big screens. Baltimore vs Texas.

"I have a grand on this game. Fucking Rangers better come through for me today. Pricks!" Jake said looking up at the screen.

After a bit the waitress came and took their orders. "New York, rare. And a double scotch and soda." Jake said then waited for Davis to order when the waitress was gone he looked at the screen again. "You watch a lot of sports? If so I can get us tickets to the Louisville game against Duke! Not sure if you like Baseball. I find it a good way to relax. It's actually my second favorite way to unwind!" Jake told her with a wicked smile. "Come on tell me what's up! I hate this silence!" He said when he couldn't take any more. He needed to know what was on her mind.

KC
 
Last edited:
She was on automatic, answering him out of politeness to her new partner. But deep down, her mind was turning the puzzle over and over in her mind.

She greeted the hostess and followed her through the recently renovated restaurant, noting the brighter interior and increased seating. They sat at a booth in the bar and she saw Doyle glancing at the tv. So like a man to notice sports. His words about placing a bet on the game told her everything. After he gave his order, she finally settled on what sounded best.

"Filet mignon, 6 oz., medium, unsalted baked potato loaded, and a Caesar salad and scotch and soda." Doyle had ordered a drink. She was going to see if he was a man of his word.

You watch a lot of sports? If so I can get us tickets to the Louisville game against Duke! Not sure if you like Baseball. I find it a good way to relax. It's actually my second favorite way to unwind!

She wondered what his first favorite way was. She gave a silent chuckle. He was a man, wasn't he? It had to be sex.

Come on tell me what's up! I hate this silence!

She smiled. "Sorry. My previous partner hated my mumblings so I started thinking quietly." She waited until Doyle took a sip of his drink before she did hers.

"Those notches were very definite. 3 notches. Could it mean 3 whatever is in that room? Or does the 3 mean nothing other that to mark the room?" She pulled out her phone and pulled up a picture taken in the secondary bed. It was of the bed with a bedside table on each side. Queen size. Lamp on each table. She showed him the picture.

"Something is wrong with this picture. But what? I know that it's staring me in the face. And I'm probably gonna kick myself when I finally figure it out."

She took a breath and tried to think of something different.

"As to sports, sorry but I know nothing about any of them, other than they each use different sized balls." She didn't mention what she really enjoyed. It would all probably come up again later.

Her salad arrived and she started eating it. Doyle was a bit rough around the edges, but all in all good looking. Nothing had been said about the drink, but she knew better that to have more than one while on the job.

"Shit! I am stupid!" She stopped eating and grabbed her phone and pulled the picture back up. "Shit! That's it!" She turned it around for him to see." The matelasse had a subdued design on it and she supposed that the average guy probably would not notice the difference. But most women are more observant if such things.

"The matelasse is on upside down. It's a subtle print, but a woman would know the difference. I noted what the rest of the house looked like. Mrs. Martens was exact with her decor. She would know which way was which. So why was this put on upside down?"
 
Jake looked at her with an odd expression. She was on to something and now the grey cells were working over time. She only drank after he did this was fine, he wouldn't have cared if she had ordered water, but was glad she did order a drink.

"As to sports, sorry but I know nothing about any of them, other than they each use different sized balls." Jake gave her another smile.

"Well I guess which balls belong in which hands is a good start."

He almost jumped when she had a sudden breakthrough.

"Shit! I am stupid! Shit! That's it! The matelasse had a subdued design on it and she supposed that the average guy probably would not notice the difference. But most women are more observant if such things. The matelasse is on upside down. It's a subtle print, but a woman would know the difference. I noted what the rest of the house looked like. Mrs. Martens was exact with her decor. She would know which way was which. So why was this put on upside down?"

Jake listened and looked at her phone. Happy that something was clicking, happy that they had a least one more thing to go on. "Well you are right I never would have noticed. It looked fine to me when I was in there. But what does this tell us? That room has meaning sure but what! I know some people will use a spare room to sleep in when a spouse snores, or after fights! Perhaps Mr Martens slept in there and just made the bed wrong, god knows I would have done the same! If she would know the difference then that tells us she was probably not the guilty party for this or at least that she wasn't the one to remake the bed! Though I fail to see what this really tells us!" Jake said looking at Davis. He was truly happy that she spotted this difference but he just wasn't seeing it yet. "Then we still have those notches! This is getting me a little angry! I have the feeling we are looking at some elaborate plan, and not a simple wrong place wrong time!" Jake said. He finished his drink then ordered a water. He sat in silence for a bit thinking of his partners discovery and all it's implications.

KC
 
Last edited:
"Hell, maybe I'm looking for something not there. We should find out which room he's been sleeping in since all this happened."

The girl arrived with their steaks and Kirsten shut up and ate. Either she was really hungry or the food was good. As she chewed, she snuck glances at her partner, wondering if his marriage was a happy one.

"They have any idea who killed your previous partner?"
 
Jake didn't want to discourage Davis, seeing it was her that spotted the difference, something he would never have, but he had been down that road many times and more times the not it had nothing to do with the case. But they needed to pursue any and all leads.

They ate in relative silence when he wasn't watching the game he was watching Davis. She certainly was a healthy eater. This was a change from many of the female cops he knew. They ate like sparrow's, he always hated that.


"They have any idea who killed your previous partner?"
She asked. Jake's eyes narrowed on her. "Was she digging for info? Was she just making conversation? Trying to get to know me, or wanting to find out what I know about the whole thing.
He thought to himself.

"Phil! uh, no. It was late he was checking on a lead alone. We caught the perp that the lead was for, but not the killer! He was... Well shot in the back. Died pretty much instantly. He was not with out faults but he was a good man!" Jake said in a somber tone. But he would be monitoring who she talked to about Phil's death. "What's the word in your old station?" Jake asked curious what was being said about Phil and him in the other stations.

KC
 
Phil! uh, no. It was late he was checking on a lead alone. We caught the perp that the lead was for, but not the killer! He was... Well shot in the back. Died pretty much instantly. He was not with out faults but he was a good man! What's the word in your old station?

She shrugged as she took a bite of steak and potato. "About the same as what they said with that one killed a couple of months ago from the 29. Kerr? I think that was his name. Same MO. Shot in the back, huh? Some of the guys are worried that there may be a cop killer out there. I'm not so sure. Say, maybe whatever it was they hid between the mattresses." She saw the look on his face and laughed. "Sorry. I have a tendency to change subjects in mid conversation."

She saw him glance at the tv. How like a guy! Sports! Though with most men it was sports second only to sex. She smiled at that thought but stopped when she saw him watching her.

"Sorry. Just thinking." Another bite of steak. "Why, you got any ideas on it?"
 

"Sorry. Just thinking." Another bite of steak. "Why, you got any ideas on it?"
He looked back at Davis then smiled.

"About Phil? No not really, like I said he was alone, not in a nice part of town, he like I said was chasing a lead! But it could have been any number of things. We can't rule out anything but one things for sure. It was a crime of opportunity, Phil dressed more like a banker then a cop! He most likely I think, looked like an easy mark to some poor criminal. His wallet was beside him, cash gone, but they left his cards. Watch gone, wedding ring gone. They've not shown up in any pawn shops or anywhere else so far! But I will always be working that case on the side. Now on to the case at hand! You were about to say something about the mattresses!" Jake said to her, he finished his water then ordered an after meal coffee. "I think we should keep what we think we know of that room to our selves for now, if you are right and I'm wrong then there is a good chance one of the Marten's are in on it in some way! I don't want to tip them off. Agreed?" He asked. He wanted to keep Davies's mind on the case more then on Phil! At least til he could fully trust that she was not looking into him and his dealings!

KC
 
...Now on to the case at hand! You were about to say something about the mattresses!

"Yes. Why remove the matelasse except to get at something. If it was under the bed, no need to strip it down to get it. Therefore, it must have been either under the matelasse or between the mattresses. Under the matelasse would make it easier to see its outline. Makes sense that it was between the mattresses. Who is going to run the risk of someone sleeping on artwork? An idiot maybe. Drugs would hold up better."

She passed on the coffee and just asked the waitress for water with two lemon slices instead.

I think we should keep what we think we know of that room to our selves for now, if you are right and I'm wrong then there is a good chance one of the Marten's are in on it in some way! I don't want to tip them off. Agreed?

"Agreed."

She pushed back her empty plate. She had managed to put the entire meal away. "Damn, I sure was hungry. So next stop is the hospital? It should be interesting to see what she has to say."
 
Happy that Davis didn't keep questioning him about the death of his old partner Jake motioned for the bill.They sat and talked while they finished the remnants of their meal.

"Damn, I sure was hungry. So next stop is the hospital? It should be interesting to see what she has to say."

He looked at her plate. "Well a healthy appetite is sexy!" He said with a small smile. "So the rangers won, that's a cool two G's for me. Which means lunch will be on me!" He said pulling out a roll of hundreds. "I would appreciate it if you kept this sports bet thing to your self!" He said. He didn't care one bit if she did talk about it really, it was just another trust test. He was liking her more each minute and hoped she was trust worthy.

"You are right about the mattress, there is no logical reason to hide something bulky in between a set of mattresses, especially anything of value. I therefor agree that it's probably drugs or jewels of some sort. Good looks and brains! Too bad I'm married!" Jake said. He put a hundred on the table and then got up. "I think you should start the talking with Mrs Martens, she'll trust a another female more. Also if she wasn't the one in on it, I think you will be a more comforting face to talk to!" Jake said as they walked out. "Also if it was drugs I have a couple more C.I.s I lean on to get more answers.


Walking into her room Jake saw the usual comforting flower arrangements along the window sill. They obviously had good insurance seeing her room was private, and large. Mrs Martens was sitting up and in Jake's eyes looked a hell of lot better then her husband. Rape is awful and the men and women who do it should be executed for such crimes. Her face though. There wasn't a mark on it. No bruising around her neck or arms. If he didn't know already that it was sexual assault he wouldn't have guessed looking at her. Not all assault victims are beat up too but these criminals didn't seem to mind using excessive violence. So why not on her too? This thought made him a little angry, if Davis was right then he may be looking at a real scum bag. But he knew not to jump to conclusions, they needed to be sure, absolutely sure before accusing anyone of anything in this case.

KC
 
Well a healthy appetite is sexy! So the rangers won, that's a cool two G's for me. Which means lunch will be on me! I would appreciate it if you kept this sports bet thing to your self!

"No problem. It's really none of my business. But if you want to pay for lunch, knock yourself out." She drank deep from her water glass.

She started noticing some of the things that he was saying. "Sexy", "good looks", "too bad I'm married". She was starting to pickup that her new partner just might have a bit of an interest in her. And to tell the truth, she was interested in him. Though she had had an affair with a married man, she had never made it with a fellow officer. Maybe this move would be a better fit than she had originally thought. But for now, she just smiled and raised an eyebrow.

It was a relatively quick trip out to the hospital. She found it strange that Mr. Marten was not out here being supportive to his wife. When they entered, Mrs. Marten was sitting up in bed looking remarkably composed. Kirsten saw no cuts or bruises, nothing like a split lip or bumps, no skinned knuckles. But rape is not always about what shows. Perhaps she had seen what had happened to her husband and didn't want to go through the same thing.

Doyle had told her to handle the questioning of the wife so Kirsten stepped forward.

"Mrs. Martens, l'm Detective Davis and this is my partner, Detective Doyle. We have been put in charge of your case. I want you to know that we take this as a high priority, and we want to see that you get justice."

Mrs. Martens looked at her and nodded before glancing at Doyle.

"In your own words, could you tell me what you remember happening?"

"We were asleep when suddenly someone was flashing a light in my eyes. They pulled us out of bed and made us go downstairs. They made me sit in a chair and watch as they beat the crap out of my husband. Then after a while..." The woman hesitated here, pushing her hair behind her ear, before glancing over to Doyle again. She waited a moment and glanced at Doyle again.

Kirsten glanced at Doyle, giving him a slight nod. She hoped that he would leave her alone with the woman for a minute, but it was technically his case and she was the newby on the block.
 
Davis was a quick study and moved into form immediately. She began by comforting the young woman, Mrs Martens seemed to be having trouble with talking, she kept looking up at Jake, Davis noticed it to, she casually nodded for Jake to leave. A little put out he walked out. He knew the score, but with Davis still being a new partner he would have preferred to be in the room. "She is doing the right thing Jake! Calm down!" He said under his breath.

Walking to the nurses station he started to talk up the sexy young red head sitting there. "Hey there Ms... Kitt is it!" He said giving her his best smile. The nurse blushed.

"Miss Kitt, Janice Kitt! And you are?" She replied.

"Detective Jake Doyle, everyone calls me Doyle though. Say can you answer a few questions for me?" Jake asked still in a honeyed tone. Janice smiled and blushed a little. Then nodded.

"Jennifer in room 10, well my partner is asking some questions and I was wondering if you could tell me about her injuries!"

Janice seemed to think on it. "Well I'm really not supposed too. Dr patient and all."

"But you are not a Dr. And with me being a Cop, I think it's fair to say you won't get into any trouble, and I promise not to say a word to anyone!" Jake assured the young nurse.

"Well! Ok if you promise. Mrs Martens was brought in at about seven yesterday morning. She had a full rape kit done on her, the Dr's who performed the exam said she showed no signs of duress, no bruising, no tears, other then a little swelling that is common in rough sex she was fit. Also there wasn't one defensive wound. Most women have skin under their fingernails, and bruising on there knuckles but she had none."

Jake thought on it, he thought she looked a little to good. "Could it be that she saw her husband get his ass beat and just gave in!"

"It is yes! Though the Dr thinks that she was either the luckiest woman alive, or the perpetrators deliberately went easy on her. So easy that she suffered no physical damage. And she was showing no mental duress. Most if not all women are in some form of shock, but not Mrs Martens. She was shaken but little more..." Janice was about to continue when she caught a Dr's eye.

"What's going on here?" The older Dr asked as he walked up to them. Janice quickly looked down at some papers. "You. who are you and what are you talking to the nurse about?" He asked Jake.

"I'm a detective and it's none of your fucking business!" Jake answered and showed the Dr his badge.

"Well... I hope you know you need a court order to ask questions about patients!"

"I was asking her out on a date you old fuck! Now leave us alone or I'll book you on some trumped up charge!" Jake threatened. The Dr looked like he had been slapped, he turned on the spot and walked away. Janice giggled.

"I never liked him! But I will not be pushing my luck. I hope what I told you helps! And I would love to go out with you some time!" Jake smiled. He pulled out his card and handed it to her. then wrote down all that she said. He took a seat close to the room and waited for Davis to come out or let him in. He hoped she was making head way, the more they dug the uglier this all seemed to be!

KC
 
"Thank you very much for your time, Mrs. Martens." She paused at the door, opening it and turning back to the woman propped in the bed. She thought that she caught a glimpse of Doyle waiting for her out in the hall. "I understand that you are tired and needing to rest. We can talk more later. But I promise you that we shall do our best to catch the people who did this."

She closed the door behind her and caught her partner's eye. "Let's get out of here!" She muttered under her breath, keeping her face impassive until they got out to the car. She figured that he was frustrated by not getting to interview the woman herself. Once in the privacy of the car, she spoke.

"What a bitch! Her whole speech was memorized. If I asked her a question she's would practically start all over again. Know what her injuries were? She chipped a fingernail. She said they so I tried to nail her down as to how many they were. 'It was 3 or 4 rough looking men.' What did they look like? Did you get a good look at them? 'They were rough looking, you know, rough.' She had no idea as to their race. She was calm, never cried, never blushed, never faltered, practically never moved. She did say it was terrible what they did to her husband."

She shook her head. "This woman was a piece of work. I didn't want to push her too much or she would know that I was skeptical of what she was saying. As to the rape information, she said that the man bent her over the back of the living room chair and entered her vaginally from behind, then after a while, he pulled out and laid her on the floor and raped her again vaginally missionary style."

"I think that next time she will talk to you. Once she got going, she seemed to talk easier. I think that she acted hesitant around you because she was expected to act that way. But once you left, she almost seemed...hurt I guess would be the word. What did you find out?"
 
The anger emanating from Davis was a little startling, but it was a nice change. Showed that she had emotion and drive. If channeled properly she would be a great asset to both the station and to him personally.

Jake just listened to her vent and fill him in on all that was said. She was sure that Jennifer was lying, and that she was in fact not raped per say. When she was done telling him all that she learned she asked what he had found out.

"Well the friendly nurse informed me that her exam showed no damage or signs usually associated with rape victims. Of course that is all subjective but it tells us that we are being fed a few lines of shit here!" Jake thought about what Davis had discovered in the Martens spare room. Or at least that something was not all it seemed to be! "Good work in there. Let's check out the house again in the morning. I have a CI that might know of any big drugs movements. We can go see him tonight! He runs a massage parlor. The kind where none of the women actually know anything about massage! haha" Jake said with a chuckle. "Unless you have plans that is!"

KC
 
"You're joking, right? Count me in! My plans are to see this through." She sat there quiet, thinking to herself. His wife must be very understanding. Or maybe they had an open marriage. She didn't want to ask too many questions right off the bat. But she had caught herself a couple of times during this first day glancing at his ass. So far, she had felt that he had her back. But it would be interesting to see him working tonight at the massage parlor with his CI.

"Too bad they don't really know massage. There's nothing more relaxing than a good full body one." As soon as she said it, she realized how that sounded. Oh, well, your partner usually knew things that your spouse didn't know. At least, that was always what they said.

She sat and looked out the window. "What's next on the agenda?"
 
"You're joking, right? Count me in! My plans are to see this through." Davis said. Jake smiled.

"I like to hear that!" " Jake drove away from the hospital. As they drove she said something that made him a little hard.

"Too bad they don't really know massage. There's nothing more relaxing than a good full body one." Jake looked at her, envisioning her lying on a massage table, naked her skin oiled and slick. His hands rubbing her down. Her hand reaching down and freeing his erect... He had to give his head a shake.

"Well I know a few places were you can get that too! If you are interested. You are right though that does hit the spot now and then! So now we have to stop by the flooring place to check it out. See if they know anything!" Jake dialed his phone. "Hey Rae. Won't be home till real late so don't wait up! Dinner and working the case! Yes She'll be with me! Ok ya love you too. Bye!" And then he hung up. "Man why did you put the thought of you getting a full body massage in my head! haha" He said in a flirty tone. Hoping he wasn't going to far, but the sooner he could be himself the better. "Can you look up the address for me, I wrote it on my note pad." He asked handing the small black book to Davis.

KC
 
Last edited:
Well I know a few places were you can get that too! If you are interested. You are right though that does hit the spot now and then! So now we have to stop by the flooring place to check it out. See if they know anything!

She listened as he called home and told his wife he would be home late. And she obviously asked if his new partner was gonna be with him.

Man why did you put the thought of you getting a full body massage in my head! haha

"That's me! Just trying to keep you on your toes. New partner, guess I just had to see how far I could push you." She grinned at him.

Can you look up the address for me, I wrote it on my note pad.

She took his book and flipped through it until she found the address. "I ought to look through this book and see if you doodle. Maybe I could get some insight into what makes you tick. Sounded like your wife was worried that I'd be working tonight too."

She teased before she closed his book up and passed it back to him. Their fingers touched and she felt a tingle. On the first day? That was bad. She had better watch herself.

"Should be up here on the right, I think."
 
Jake had a good laugh at her reply.

"I ought to look through this book and see if you doodle. Maybe I could get some insight into what makes you tick. Sounded like your wife was worried that I'd be working tonight too." He thought of what she said. Davis was curious, curious about him and Rachel. She was digging a little! Was it because she wanted to know the strength of his marriage. Was she just wanting to know more about him. Either way Rachel was not going to be a problem.

"Hey you want to know what makes me tick all you need to do is ask! Though I am a pretty easy guy to read. As for Rae no not worried about you working per say. When Phil was killed he was alone. Rae just doesn't want me out working late if I'm alone. She ain't the jealous type. She's more the I need your pay checks type haha!" He felt her touch, though he had touched her before this was different somehow. There was an energy. Perhaps he was just wanting something to be happening. A bit of wishful thinking, he thought.

They pulled up to Creative Flooring. Again he reached for the gun. Then he lead up to the door. With it still being fairly early they were still open. At the front desk was a man who looked like he was scared of butterflies. He seemed to shake with a crippling nervous tick. "Good day, welcome to Creative Flooring. How may I direct you!" Jake looked from the twink around the room. There seemed to be sections for different types of flooring.

"Det, Doyle, This is Det Davis. We need to talk to a few of your installers. A Jimmy Gant, a Tom Poll and Sergio Pilla." Jake said to him, the young man smiled a weak smile.

"Only Jim and Sergio are here. Tom is out on an install!"

"Ok." Jake said and waited for them to get the men. When he didn't move Jake raised his eyebrows.

"Well!" he said.

"Did you want me to get them?"

"No that's ok we'll just wait and hope they walk out here! Ya get them!" Jake said raising his voice. The young man coward to the raise in anger.

"Yes sir." And he called the back. When he hung up he directed the pair to have a seat.

Jake didn't thank him and he didn't take a seat. Soon a tall, good looking man followed by a shorter Latin looking man walked into the main waiting area.
"Welcome detectives, I am Jim, this is Sergio! What can we do for you?"

"Just need you to answer a few questions for us! Somewhere a little more private!" Jake said showing his badge to the two men.

"Yes of course right this way!" And Tom led them to a back office.

"This is your office! Sorry but are you not just an installer?" Jake asked looking around the rather opulent office.

"Well not just an installer! I am the owner!"

"Do you often install flooring still?" Jake asked Jimmy. Not unheard of for an owner to still be on the tools but not to common.

"Well only with special cases!" Jimmy said with a smarmy shit eating grin. Jake instantly didn't like him. Jake asked all the common questions while Jimmy answered then he asked the one he was most curious about.

"Ok well we were told you were one of the men working on the Martens floors. He said that you were there over two weeks. Seems a little long to put down under a thousand square ft of hard wood!" When Jake said the words 'Hard Wood' Jimmy gave a laugh like he was the only one who got the joke

"She was a demanding one!"

"She?" Jake asked wondering if he was referring to Jennifer.

"The house. No right angles. Walls were crooked, lot's of issues. But I am sure you don't want to hear about all that. To answer your question yes it did take a lot longer then it should have, I will say though, some of my finest work, Mrs Martens was particularly happy with the end result!"

Jake just wanted to deck this prick. Knowing that Jimmy was getting under his skin he needed a new approach. He turned to Davis. "Well that's all I can think of! You go ahead and fire your questions." He said, he hoped that she was better at keeping her temper then he was this day.

KC
 
The floor company looked just like all the other floor companies - nothing that made it stand out. Prices were about the same as as the others. So why come all the way out here for flooring?

The man that greeted them was a nervous nelly, his eyes cutting around and looking like he was gonna be attacked. Doyle had to light a fire under the man to get the people they were there to see.

Jimmy was smarmy, sure of himself as he led the two of them back to an office. He was not surprised that they were there. She wondered if Mrs. Martens had called to give him a heads up. He had the kind of looks that some women were drawn to. The Latin one gave a couple of short sniffs. Cold? Allergies? Or something more?

Even in the short period of time that she had worked with Doyle, she could tell that he was getting frustrated. At least, she thought that was what it was.

So, this Jimmy was the owner. Somehow, she just knew that he was. He had the kind of looks that might appeal to some women. Old Jimmy seemed to have an answer for everything and when Doyle turned the questioning over to her, she could see the man's brains busy, trying to think if some way to flirt with her without Doyle being aware of it. She played it cool.

"I don't suppose that it would be possible for you guys to let us fingerprint and obtain DNA samples of the three of you that installed the floor? We can send someone out to do it. Wouldn't take but a minute."

"Ah, no. I don't think so. Our attorney said no." Jimmy seemed a bit antsy. Sergio just sniffed.

"Really. They would be exclusion prints. Since you were in the house, we wouldn't want to get your prints or DNA mixed up with the people that did this horrible act."

"Well, we'll ask our attorney. You know, we were all through that house as they had considered putting new flooring throughout the whole house before settling on what they did. People changing their minds is something that we always have to put up with." He smiled at her and then added slowly and deliberately. "That and getting hurt. Goes with the territory." Her eyes flickered down to his hands. He didn't move. "If you have no more questions, then we'll get back to work.

They thanked him and headed back to the car. Once inside, she saw the look Doyle gave her, questioning.

"I hope that you don't mind a little lie. Back in the hospital, when I starting doubting the Missus, I...let it slip that we had discovered a fingerprint in blood in that guest room, as well as some other evidence that tied into the crime. I knew that by that time the guys would be in there dusting the room. If she called home, then hubby would tell her that they were working in that spare room. And then, she would call Jimmy and give him the news. Was it just me, or did Jimmy seem to be expecting us?"
 
Once Davis took over Jake saw that she had an angle to play. She managed to get him to admit things Jake believed Jimmy wouldn't have when he was do the talking. She had also lied, but it was a well timed one, and seeing they had lot's of theories but nothing concrete on any of it They needed to try other tactics.

Then Jimmy refused to be printed! Said his lawyer advised against it. Was this Jimmy playing a trump card. Though in Jake's mind he was only telling them he was guilty of something. Or else why was he already talking to a lawyer. This just made Jake hate the man all the more. He was pushing Jake's temper and if he was guilty Jake would make him pay for it. Davis fared much better then Jake did, glad that she was able to succeed where he could not. After she had exhausted all her questions Jimmy was quick to get them out of the store.

Once in the car, she outlined her idea and thoughts. She admitted what Jake already knew, that she had lied to Jimmy. Had they managed to get an actual print he would have been told about it. The lie didn't bother him one bit and he liked that she was up front about it. They needed to stay on the same page if they were going to get Jimmy or whom ever was responsible.

She then mentioned something that had also occurred to him that Jimmy had been ready to meet us. His answers were quick, required almost no thought. These were signs that something was rehearsed, it was all too convenient for Jake's liking. "No I don't mind about the lie! Good thinking actually, got him back peddling a little, the fucking prick. There are certain people that I just hate dealing with, he is one of them. Slimy, pompous cock sucker." Jake vented. It was just past four in the afternoon. Seeing no need to head to the station and no need to head home, seeing they were still going to do some work that night, Jake suggested that they go get a drink and compare notes. He was getting a drink whether they compared notes or not.

He drove back down town to a local haunt he liked to drink at. The booze was all top shelf, and he drank for free seeing the owner owed his life to Jake. They walked in, it was dark yet clean being early they were the only ones in the establishment.

"Doyle, and a lady friend! Welcome, sit where ever." An older gentleman said from behind the bar. Mike was his name, he had a friendly smile, his only blemish came from a long scar that ran from his right side burn to the tip of his chin.

Jake went to a booth and sat. "We will be the only cops in here. Also don't make it known to any of the patrons that may enter that you are a cop!" Jake mentioned to Davis. "I like this place because there are never cops here. And most of the patrons prefer it to stay cop free." Jake said with a knowing nod. He then ordered a scotch. Then Mike the barman asked Davis what she wanted.

"So who do you like for this?" Jake asked. Though he really wanted to talk about anything else if just for a couple hours. She had jested about wanting to know what made him tick. He equally wanted to know what made her tick. Mostly for trust issues and to hopefully get into her pants. And who wouldn't she was smart, sexy and seemed like she was hiding a bit of wilder side possibly, or at least he hoped so!

KC
 
Last edited:
She was glad that Doyle was okay with her little deception and he seemed to agree with her as to Jimmy expecting them.

He headed to a bar where apparently he was known as the man named Mike called Doyle by name. She followed her partner's lead and ordered Scotch. The place looked welcoming and she was actually looking forward to getting to know her partner a bit better. The more they worked together today, the more that she was turned on by him.

We will be the only cops in here. Also don't make it known to any of the patrons that may enter that you are a cop! I like this place because there are never cops here. And most of the patrons prefer it to stay cop free. So who do you like for this?

She really didn't want to talk about the job. She really wanted to know more about him. Damn, in this light, he was really hot.

"Oh, I think that it was the wife and Jimmy. But there was no need to beat up the husband. Jennifer and Jimmy could fuck each other without going after the husband." She hesitated. "I mean, she wouldn't be the first wife that was stepping out on her husband. Do you think that maybe they were trying to kill him so that they could get together?" She had not thought of it that way until just now. "Perhaps this was supposed to be a home invasion/rape/murder. But the husband survived?"

She looked at him, quiet for a moment. "Well, do I pass? You willing to keep me as a partner?"
 
Davis gave him an honest answer and the thought of the husband surviving what should have been a murder was intriguing to Jake. He had said it before and he would think it again. Brains and beauty. She then thankfully changed the direction away from the case.

"Well, do I pass? You willing to keep me as a partner?"

He smiled. "Well I will say you are fuck ton smarter then any partner I've had in god knows how long and you are damn sight hotter. I would be an idiot not to hang on to you as a partner!" This statement was probably over the line but he didn't care. If she played this one off he would be pretty sure she found him at least a little attractive and was into him. He decided to keep fishing. "So no man! You're not gay I don't think! You are smart, good looking, You've admitted that you can't cook. I have to wonder what flaw you might be hiding?" Jake said with a big grin. "I've met much uglier, dumber, and nastier people then you and they all have men! Not very happy ones but they have them! haha" He laughed at his own joke. "Are you too rough in bed? Please tell me it's that!" Jake continued. He wasn't sure why, but he just had to be his full self and his full self didn't really come with a filter. "And please accept my apology for how I talked earlier. You are a very, very competent detective and I was wrong to judge you harshly when I met you!" He said in all seriousness.

Mike came over and poured another round. "This will be it for tonight, as I have a date with Davis here. Were are going to Tony's place for a couples massage." Mike looked from Doyle to Davis.

"Doyle that is no place to take a lady and you know it!" Mike scolded in mild shock at hearing their next stop.

Jake laughed out loud and then ordered a water and a large nachos. Mike kept shaking his head and walked away.

KC
 
As he spoke, a smile tickled the corners of her mouth. Something told her that she was going to enjoy having Doyle for a new partner. There was a twinkle in her eyes as she looked at him over the table.

"Honest answer? Most guys don't like having a girlfriend that has bigger balls than they do, and some guys may be males, but that seems to be all they have going for them. Guys want some woman that looks hot, but runs screaming into the night if she sees a spider or a gun. Last guy dumped me when I saved him from a mugger." She gave a chuckle. "As to whether I'm too rough in bed, you'll have to discover that for yourself. I don't want to do all your work for you."

With a raised eyebrow, she listened as Doyle told Mike that they were getting a couples massage later tonight at Tony's.

"Should be an interesting night." She muttered under her breath.
 
She made a good point, he himself in his youth hated women that weren't docile and in constant need of a strong male. He had of course changed that tune when it turned out to be a lot more work to be around a woman that couldn't do anything for themselves.

Then she said it. Those magic words. "You'll have to find out for yourself."
Whether that was banter or not, it was said. She put it out there. And regardless of how she may feel deep down she in some small way was will to have sex be a topic of discussion.

After Mike left and Jake calmed down he looked deep into her eyes. He needed to know if this was just banter right now or if it was in some way an invite. "I think I would enjoy finding that among many others things out about you Davis." He smiled. He tried to keep the talk light. If he didn't and she was game he would be trying to fuck her in one of the bathroom stalls. Not where he wanted a possible first time to be. "As for the men. Well most men are pussies. He would have been hurt and still bent out of shape, with those kinds of people you can't win and you are better clear of them.

When the food came Jake dug in. "There's plenty so please help yourself." He invited her. "Do you have a second gun? One you can hide in your purse or boot. If we want Tony to talk we'll be naked, he'll want to see your primary. To stupid to expect a back up! Not that we'll be having trouble with him but you never know!" Jake mentioned. He wanted to keep talking sex with Davis but knew that no matter what nothing would happen here. So talking shop seemed the proper play.

KC
 
I think I would enjoy finding that among many others things out about you Davis. As for the men. Well most men are pussies. He would have been hurt and still bent out of shape, with those kinds of people you can't win and you are better clear of them.

"Hence the reason I'm unattached right now." She was smiling. If she read Doyle right, he was just as interested in her as she was in him.

When the food arrived, they started eating.

Do you have a second gun? One you can hide in your purse or boot. If we want Tony to talk we'll be naked, he'll want to see your primary. To stupid to expect a back up! Not that we'll be having trouble with him but you never know!

"Naked, eh? Somehow I suspect that this couples massage may be a bit different from the ones with your other partners." She grinned. "My backup's already in my boot. We really getting a massage or is this just code for I want to see you naked?" She laughed. "Surely I won't keep my boots on? Just what info are you expecting to get from this guy?"
 
Back
Top