Illinois friends!

Corsets and New Home

I am liking that you and your new house are a matched persona. You are dressing and living the time that the house was built. Good for you.

bourbonnais boy

I just signed up with this and didn't know there where sexy women on here that lived that close.

It suits me

I will post more pix of the house as I get it decorated. I have bought ceiling fans, light fixtures, and furniture all to keep with the turn of the last century feel of the house. Carpets are being removed and hard wood floors restored, any woodwork in the house is being matched and replaced properly and we are playing with ideas so input is welcome!! Especially for the servant's room. The pix here are of the master bedroom with 2 walk in closets, the servant's room, and in my closet, the small door that connects the closet with the servant's room. That servant's room is about 6X15 with a small L shaped turn at the end where it opens into the closet. Thinking about expanding the bathroom which is on the other side. It is already a big bathroom but I wouldn't mind adding a stand up shower and a towel closet in the bathroom. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 2012-09-04_16-43-57_328.jpg
    2012-09-04_16-43-57_328.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 108
  • house7.jpg
    house7.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 110
  • house8.jpg
    house8.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 177
I will post more pix of the house as I get it decorated. I have bought ceiling fans, light fixtures, and furniture all to keep with the turn of the last century feel of the house. Carpets are being removed and hard wood floors restored, any woodwork in the house is being matched and replaced properly and we are playing with ideas so input is welcome!! Especially for the servant's room. The pix here are of the master bedroom with 2 walk in closets, the servant's room, and in my closet, the small door that connects the closet with the servant's room. That servant's room is about 6X15 with a small L shaped turn at the end where it opens into the closet. Thinking about expanding the bathroom which is on the other side. It is already a big bathroom but I wouldn't mind adding a stand up shower and a towel closet in the bathroom. What do you guys think?
I love older houses....looks like it's a beautiful house!

Beautiful house! I'm loving the hardwood flooring throughout!! One of these days, I will have my Victorian house.

Beautiful house! I'm loving the hardwood flooring throughout!! One of these days, I will have my Victorian house.

I have a craftsman bungalow, but it has a lot of built in cabinets and a lot of wood throughout on all the door frames and crown molding. Plus hardwood floors! They really used to know how to make houses.

old houses

These older homes just have so much more character than the newer cookie cutter identical ones. They just make me sad and you can't even use energy efficiency as a reason. The house I am in now is plenty warm and cozy. You just have to make sure to add weather stripping around doors and windows and other things like that. The plaster walls are great insulators.

On another note, I really despise Verizon lately. I upgraded 3 weeks early so it had to be done by phone rather than in store. Fine. I set that all up and paid a fortune by debit card which they had no problem taking out of my account right away. Only problem is the person on the phone didn't bother to have me accept the terms and conditions of the new contract so the phones that were to go out last wednesday to arrive friday, did not. I called on saturday to ask where they were and was informed that they didn't ship and why. Ugh. So I did the terms and conditions thing (for all three lines) and they were now to ship out Monday and arrive yesterday because fed ex doesn't ship on sunday. Fine. Still not here last night? I call again and she said "yes, they tried to deliver at 1:07 PM" I told her that was funny since I was sitting right here at that time. Turns out that they ignored the address we have given them 3 times now and tried to ship to the old home address. We gave them the new address when we moved so that the bill would come to the right place. I gave them the correct address when I ordered the phones AND on saturday when I fixed the other problem. Now I had to give it to them again, make them send a correction to fed ex which will cost yet another day or two. I was given $50 off of my bill and a bunch of useless apologies that mean nothing if these people can't bother to do their jobs correctly. It isn't that difficult, people!! well, wish me luck. It is hard to share new pix with you guys the way my current phone is working :(

These older homes just have so much more character than the newer cookie cutter identical ones. They just make me sad and you can't even use energy efficiency as a reason. The house I am in now is plenty warm and cozy. You just have to make sure to add weather stripping around doors and windows and other things like that. The plaster walls are great insulators.

On another note, I really despise Verizon lately. I upgraded 3 weeks early so it had to be done by phone rather than in store. Fine. I set that all up and paid a fortune by debit card which they had no problem taking out of my account right away. Only problem is the person on the phone didn't bother to have me accept the terms and conditions of the new contract so the phones that were to go out last wednesday to arrive friday, did not. I called on saturday to ask where they were and was informed that they didn't ship and why. Ugh. So I did the terms and conditions thing (for all three lines) and they were now to ship out Monday and arrive yesterday because fed ex doesn't ship on sunday. Fine. Still not here last night? I call again and she said "yes, they tried to deliver at 1:07 PM" I told her that was funny since I was sitting right here at that time. Turns out that they ignored the address we have given them 3 times now and tried to ship to the old home address. We gave them the new address when we moved so that the bill would come to the right place. I gave them the correct address when I ordered the phones AND on saturday when I fixed the other problem. Now I had to give it to them again, make them send a correction to fed ex which will cost yet another day or two. I was given $50 off of my bill and a bunch of useless apologies that mean nothing if these people can't bother to do their jobs correctly. It isn't that difficult, people!! well, wish me luck. It is hard to share new pix with you guys the way my current phone is working :(
So All that sitting around yesterday, for nothing! Oh, does that ever suck!

I bet they get that bill to the right address, though!

Yep

I am told that I can leave a note for the fed ex guy and since the package doesn't require a signature, he is allowed to leave it if he has a note. I will try that but you can bet that since I still own the other house I will put the same note on that door and check before I head home from work. kind of a CYA situation because Verizon can't seem to find theirs with both hands a gps and a flashlight. On an entertaining side note, the first time I drove to my new house I used my Verizon navigator on my current phone. I typed in the address and it took me right to the front door. Yesterday evening when I was trying to figure out why in the hell they sent the phones to my old address, the woman on the phone told me my address was "invalid"...really?! I'm standing right here. Oh and YOUR GPS knows where it is!!!! I mean how hard is it to take the proper steps to make sure things were done right the first time?:eek:

Ugh

I'm literally "in the sticks", meaning the woods hide the entrance which leads to the house 1/4 mile off the road and have that problem constantly. Sometimes the Fed-ex or UPS driver stays the same for a year or so but they always change and I always get screwed on the next package. So I feel your pain Lady Gryphon. Good luck.

I find myself quite surprised by your comments; I lived for a while in California before moving back to England, and I was always impressed by the American attitude to customer service, as opposed to the woeful service we get here in the UK - the telphone company here uses call-centres based in India, so when you try and get something done, you end up speaking to some girl who parrots back to you stock phrases she doesn't really understand, in a language she barely speaks, and which seem to have been originally translated from Dutch into English by a Korean rice-husker. The problem here is that we brits seem to to believe that big faceless corporations giving us the finger is all a part of life's rich tapestry...
It's the same call centers we get here...totally frustrating! Have to explain six thousand times what it is we want!

I'm literally "in the sticks", meaning the woods hide the entrance which leads to the house 1/4 mile off the road and have that problem constantly. Sometimes the Fed-ex or UPS driver stays the same for a year or so but they always change and I always get screwed on the next package. So I feel your pain Lady Gryphon. Good luck.
Pretty rural here, too...UPS used GPS, and my address shows up wrong in it....the next town over for some reason. constant phone calls asking where we are! Ah, joy of country living!

finally

Well it is a good thing I decided to cover my ass and put notes at both locations for the fed ex guy. Through no fault of theirs, one package was delivered to the correct address and one to the old address. Yet another Verizon employee did a half assed job. She knew I had two orders but only send fed ex the address change on one...

I have a craftsman bungalow, but it has a lot of built in cabinets and a lot of wood throughout on all the door frames and crown molding. Plus hardwood floors! They really used to know how to make houses.

Yes they did. I absolutely love the older homes with the beautiful moldings and built-ins.

I agree. There is so much more to the older homes, and I have no desire to live in a cookie cutter house. I want a beautiful old Victorian.

Back