What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too freakin' cool, K!

And you're quite welcome for any kind word and/or support I may have accidentally pixelated your way. ;)

Thanks, SW. I don't think it was an accident, though. :)

Yeah!!! But the Kobo link goes to smash work and won't let me purchase it. :(

Yeeeeeahhh, sorry. Long story. Have to update that link. It will be available on Kobo in 24-72 hours. Sorry!!

How exciting! Congratulations!

Thank you!

So happy for you. Never underestimate the power of one person following her dreams.

:rose:

Never.

I am on Cloud Ten tonight.:D

K, you are so inspiring! I hope you get to chillax and celebrate after all those undoubtedly long hours and hard work! Cheers! :)

Thanks CC! "Successful" is nice but I'll take "inspiring" any day!

As for chillaxing, well, book two's on its second draft and I have a whole lotta marketing to do so...maybe 2014?

(Actually, L and me are talking about running away to the Baja for awhile this winter).

Never doubted your ability or tenacity one bit, K!
Congrats & SQEEE!!
:rose:

Thanks for the squee GS!

Congrats, K! :D:rose:

Thanks Seela! I'm glad we both have good news these days. :rose:

Congrats K! :)

You're always inspiring me.

And I bet you're doing the same to other folks these days. Thanks Wenchie!

You know, on the subject of "inspiring", I just wanted to add something.

However confident and determined I appear, I am as riddled with self-doubt as anyone else. I've had no shortage of "Oh my Cod, what am I doing? I'm talentless, this book sucks, my writing is amateur, no one will like this!" moments. I had one this morning. I'm not some wonder woman who believes gold flows from her fingers, or who doesn't feel the sting of failure or rejection.

I'm tenacious only because I've seen what tenacious people can accomplish - talented or not. Pure logic. I feed my Spock brain, often.

I've also accepted that self doubt will always be a passenger on this road trip. I can't stop him from talking but I can turn the radio up really loud and drown him out with my terrible singing.

I've accepted, as well, what I am and what I am not. I'm not a "great writer" and never will be. Great writers are born that way. Those people are genetic freaks and many paid/pay a high price for their brilliance. I am OK with being a "good" writer. A good writer who'll work her tail off to be better every day.

I've learned to be (sort of) comfortable with self promotion. (You may have noticed). Look, no one's going to read a story they've never heard of and if I'm not excited about my book why should anyone else be?

And if I had to pick a reason why I've been able to get past the black cloud of doubt and fear of "selling" myself and my art, it's because I work really, really, really hard and, if for no other reason, I'm proud of that. Success requires three things: talent, luck and self-discipline. Of those, only self-discipline is within our control. I poured everything I had into that, and now I just have to hope for the best.

I guess what I'm trying to put across is that I'm not special. At all. I've failed. Tons. I spent two years on my first manuscript only to be told it sucked - "good writing, terrible plot". It's not about being the best, it's about being the one who just won't quit. Anyone can do what I've done (in the field of their choice). Maybe the time isn't right at this exact moment but if you really want to do something...do it.

I don't know if this book will sell, or if anyone will like it, but I'm going to keep working on the next one. And the next. And so on. I love what I do, and I believe that's the best thing anyone can ever hope for.

/weird inspirational rant

Not weird at all.

Thoughtful. Realistic. Insightful. Inspiring.

You're pretty much the definition of cool, you know?

However confident and determined I appear, I am as riddled with self-doubt as anyone else. <snip>
I don't know if this book will sell, or if anyone will like it, but I'm going to keep working on the next one. And the next. And so on. I love what I do, and I believe that's the best thing anyone can ever hope for.

Bravo! This may have been one of the most valuable sets of paragraphs you've ever set to pixel.

Too many people - myself included - get sucked into the belief that if their mind is telling them that they're not up to a particular challenge, then by cracky they're just not up to that challenge.

It's a struggle every day to shut down that negative little fucker in my head, too.

On that insperational line, Friday in psych class the profesor posted up a quote to start the class (like she does most days) but this time it really spoke to me.

The quote was from the book Life 101 (offically added to my "need to read" list) and it went something like this:

"If you are not actively trying to get what you want, then you don't really want it."

I have made one excuse after another regarding school, my job, my costume work, as to why I can't do something. After hearing this quote I realized just how true it was. I didn't want those things, I was comfortable where I was for one reason or another (mostly money related), and those things meant change and uncertainty.

Once I took one dive, the others have seemed to be easier.

However confident and determined I appear, I am as riddled with self-doubt as anyone else. I've had no shortage of "Oh my Cod, what am I doing? I'm talentless, this book sucks, my writing is amateur, no one will like this!" moments. I had one this morning. I'm not some wonder woman who believes gold flows from her fingers, or who doesn't feel the sting of failure or rejection....

<snip>

First-class inspirational rant, and primer on creative success.

But we all knew you were quivering goo. ;)

Don't listen to him, sweetie... EVERYONE'S quivering goo. I think he just likes that expression. ;)

Last edited:
My auto-correct finally realizes how often I use the word "stinkin" and corrected a word TO "stinkin", ahhhh

Bravo! This may have been one of the most valuable sets of paragraphs you've ever set to pixel.

Thanks so much, MWY. That means a great deal to me. :rose:

Too many people - myself included - get sucked into the belief that if their mind is telling them that they're not up to a particular challenge, then by cracky they're just not up to that challenge.

It's a struggle every day to shut down that negative little fucker in my head, too.

Yep. That fucker can be loud some days. Keep duct tape handy, that helps. :D

On that insperational line, Friday in psych class the profesor posted up a quote to start the class (like she does most days) but this time it really spoke to me.

The quote was from the book Life 101 (offically added to my "need to read" list) and it went something like this:

"If you are not actively trying to get what you want, then you don't really want it."

I have made one excuse after another regarding school, my job, my costume work, as to why I can't do something. After hearing this quote I realized just how true it was. I didn't want those things, I was comfortable where I was for one reason or another (mostly money related), and those things meant change and uncertainty.

Awesome quote, Wenchie! I will steal that.

Once I took one dive, the others have seemed to be easier.

That's the dirty little secret, really. The first step is the hardest because it's a step into the unknown. But once that step's taken, things seem to get easier and easier, because you're finally doing what you love.

I'm so proud of you, every day. I know how hard that step was, I saw your struggle. :rose:

Fabulous! Congratulations, lovely! :)

Thank you, Salenku!

I do have my gooey moments. :D

Don't listen to him, sweetie... EVERYONE'S quivering goo. I think he just likes that expression. ;)

LOL. It wouldn't be a DGE reply if his tongue wasn't in his cheek. :)

AND! My very first ever book launch is scheduled for Nov. 29th! The library is hosting, doing all the promo, press releases, setting up radio interviews, etc. I finally get to break out the Cross pen my MIL gave me several years ago with specific instructions that it was not to be used until my first book signing. So excited! :D

Thanks so much, MWY. That means a great deal to me. :rose:

Yep. That fucker can be loud some days. Keep duct tape handy, that helps. :D

Awesome quote, Wenchie! I will steal that.

That's the dirty little secret, really. The first step is the hardest because it's a step into the unknown. But once that step's taken, things seem to get easier and easier, because you're finally doing what you love.

I'm so proud of you, every day. I know how hard that step was, I saw your struggle. :rose:

Thank you, Salenku!

AND! My very first ever book launch is scheduled for Nov. 29th! The library is hosting, doing all the promo, press releases, setting up radio interviews, etc. I finally get to break out the Cross pen my MIL gave me several years ago with specific instructions that it was not to be used until my first book signing. So excited! :D
Fantastic to hear! Yay! : D

It's fun to say, isn't it? Class, repeat it with me: "quivering goo."

My auto-correct finally realizes how often I use the word "stinkin" and corrected a word TO "stinkin", ahhhh

It's the little things. My phone seems to be getting more random.

Hey, COOL!!!! You're a (gooey) celeb, K!

No tongue in cheek in that one. At least not in MY cheek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back