Decadents & Dropouts OOC

Ahh. what your describing is a Keelboat.

Here`s how it`s stated in the D&D Player`s Handbook 3.5 edition:

This 50- to 75-foot-long ship is 15 to 20 feet wide and has a few oars to supplement its single mast with a square sail. It has a crew of eight to fifteen and can carry 40 to 50 tons of cargo or 100 soldiers. It can make sea voyages, as well as sail down rivers (thanks to its flat bottom). It moves about 1 mile per hour.

Other ship ideas, if you want to know, are listed below.
Galley
Longship
Rowboat
Sailing Ship
Warship
 
No, it is all fine. A half-Fiend has to stay on deck where he can spread his wings, if he isn't flying along for scouting at the moment, for a halfdargon it is to crampy under deck anyway, and a shapeshifter does fit anywhere, so there is room for all. Maybe we just go back to IC.
 
Ah! Keelboat! Good to know. Good old 3.5 PHB. 4e is fun, but I miss all the charts of esoteric information. At least we still have Pathfinder, right?

It has been a while since the last summary, so would you guys like me to get one up? I was wondering if I should wait and summarize everything after we get on the boat. But the more I think about it, I am willing to bet there will be enough between now and leaving to do another summary.

Opinions? It will take me a while to get a summary up, I want to go back and double check some details. I could still get it posted in a few hours though.
 
SUMMARY

1) Z (still morphed in to his half-elf Zahn) meets Macaroy, a female dwarf who is an official of the Sailor's Guild.
2) Relic finds Gryph and Haerdon talking and offers to "help" capture Phyliss.
3) Trunfor and Phyliss have a peaceful run-in with Mad Dog.
4) Mad Dog gives Trunfor a magical amulet that can disguise him as a human. The amulet is possibly being used as a secret tracking device by Mad Dog.
5) Z finds an acceptable keelboat for the bargain price of 3000 gold.
6) Phyliss and Trunfor find a suitable sailor for the boat. His name is Skandolf and agrees to come along after Trunfor saves the sailor from a mugging.
7) Phyliss and Trunfor meet up with Gryph, Relic, and Haerdon at a sailor's bar. Haerdon reveals who he really is, only to find that Gryph already knew and is ready to fight to protect Phyliss.
8) Relic helps Haerdon escape the tavern with a smoke bomb. The two ride off and kick an old man out of his home.
9) Gryph, Trunfor and Phyliss escape back to the inn to look for Canut.
10) With Koetia taken by Brigita Burdogh, Canut has mysteriously vanished.
11) Z (still as Zahn) informs the trio of his purchase, and gives Phyliss the official paperwork for their new boat.
12) Z goes back to Macaroy to look for a second sailor.
13) Trunfor and Skandolf go to inspect the ship and make preparations.
14) Phyliss and Gryph look for a place to get supplies at this time of night.
15) Relic plays with her barbarian hard-on toy while waiting to find a window to jump out of.

Let me know if I've missed anything important. I'm going to take care of the 2nd sailor and get the White Stags moving here soon.
 
Last edited:
No, nothing important missing. Maybe just to add that Koetia was deported, giving a motive for the kobalds dissappearance. Phyliss might have a little talk with Gryph before shopping, but we will see when he returns, and it will probably nothing really important.
 
Hmmm, I forgot I needed to jump out of a window. Missed my chance back at the tavern. Well...for next update then.
 
I forgot to mention that the shed of the poor old man has a window. So, if Haerdon gets to intense, there is space for flight.
 
I guess the boat is completely empty, except for some rope, sails an the anchor. The ships log should be along as well, or maybe with the paperwork that Zahn brought. So everything our characters don't have in their luggage and forgot to buy, is not there when we need it. Skandölf will have some stuff, but only the property that you would expcet from a typical sailor.
 
Yeah, the idea of the "discount boat" is that it was seized by the Sailor's Guild because the former captain owed them a lot of money. So basically they stripped the ship to basics. It would have a small anchor with a chain attached to it. As it is a river boat, the anchor would just sit on deck and have to be thrown off then pulled back up with a simple crank. Usually to secure the boat on a pier or dock, tying the boat with a few secure knots to a post would suffice.

So the boat should just have some basic rope for supplies. It has the 4 oars on it, but they aren't really oars. They could help steer the ship a little if all four were being rowed with a lot of strength. The main use for them would be to push the boat around or off things like rocky outcrops. If two or three of them would be strapped together they could be used to check for obstructions under water.

Let's say that there is a spare set of ropes to rig the sail, and 3 50ft lengths of strong and thick all purpose ropes. Other than that there wouldn't be anything. A log book would have been the captain's personal property. The paperwork Phyliss has is more of "proof of ownership" and a receipt. A spare sail wouldn't be there. Decent sails can cost as much or more than a ship by itself. They are shockingly complicated and require some specialized skill to make. The plus side is, sails are really hard to tear or rip. I would guess some patching kits would be a good idea and not worth enough to take off the ship.

So here's my idea for what is still on the ship.
- Spare sail rigging rope
- Anchor and chain
- (3) 50 foot lengths of hempen rope
- Sail repair kit (Canvas squares, rivets, leather threads, adhesive solution)
- Leak repair kits (Small panels of wood, tar, thatch reed)

Anything else I can think of that a boat might need seems like something they'd liquidate to make a few coins off of. This list is just an idea based on what I've been told about antique boats.

*Friendly advise: If you ask someone who is an expert on antique modes of transportation a few simple questions, make sure you have set aside a long block of time.*
 
Sooo...quick question. When did people learn that Zahn and Zaeel are actually Z the doppelganger? Just didn't think I had posted anything to that affect. The only person who I thought had seen Zaeel morph to Zahn was Relic. And there are a lot of things other than doppelgangers who change shape.

The name isn't a big deal but the whole "he's actually a doppelganger" sort of is to me. He'll be exposed as a doppelganger soon, of course, but I just didn't want anyone to actually have known Zahn is Zaeel, and they are both just fake identities for one really weird doppelganger.

Also DK? Be careful man. What is a friendly pat on the back for your man-mountain is a severe spinal injury for the rest of us XD. I can't shape shift a new spine if I'm paralyzed...can I? No...I don't think I can.
 
You didn't say that -Z- is a doppelganger. If you are referring to my post, it is the third person view, the third person knows what you are, but if it is a bit of a contradiction I can change my post?
 
Phyliss has no idea that Z is a doppelgaenger. She thinks that there is something strange about Zahl (sic), but finds him quite attractive. Zaehn is just some guy working for Zahl. She has nothing against or for him, she just doesn't pay to much attention to him.
 
Added to the eqipment of the ship and the personal belongings of the characters, those things are now on the cart, ready to be loaded on board:

Food & Kitchen: kettle, pot and some more cooking utensils. Salt, water, wine and food. A set of fine drinking goblets, nice plates and cups, cutlery, and two pretty candleholders and a table cover.
Weapons:Two crossbows and plenty bolts. A very large and a normal bow, complete with a set of arrows. Several daggers.
Tools: twine, thread, needles, canvas, pitch, rope, two buckets, axe and matches.
More: A large bundle of candles. Blankets, some thick cushions to make it more cozy. A wooden tub, big enough for a gorgon to sit in and take a bath. Enough soap and towels. A razor and a razor bowl. Some wacky old captains leftovers.

Nothing else.
 
You didn't say that -Z- is a doppelganger. If you are referring to my post, it is the third person view, the third person knows what you are, but if it is a bit of a contradiction I can change my post?

I was more worried that I had at some point written an IC post about Z that revealed that fact and then completely forgotten about it. Now you may be asking "how could you forget something as important as that?" Well believe me, I have done it before. I have a lot of memory issues lately, so add that to some good old paranoia, and I start to think I have made some terrible mistakes. You shouldn't change anything on my account, I am just crazy. Thank you for letting me know that, while still crazy overall, I am not crazy about this particular topic.

I have a suggestion for something I would like to have added to the boat at some point. We need a kitty. Not just any kitty mind, you. A kitty so adorable that its very cuteness is an affront to the gods!!!

Or possibly a pony. Z always wanted a pony.
 
A pony on a cog? That would not work very well. And a kitty... why not a really cute snake.
 
Well the pony would be...um...for...well...

:(

Fine...no pony...

If you can find a snake that cute then fine. We shall let the super-cute snake and super-cute kitty play together and become the bestest of friends! While everyone is looking at how cute they are...we steal their stuff and take a few of the women!

That was the plan right? To steal their stuff and their women? No? Huh...I thought we were going to go all Viking on these monster hating peasants.

Alright, I'll work on another plan.


I still want my pony...
 
Hmmm, the snake would probably really like to play with a kitten, I think. They might even try a magic trick.
 
Let's see a super cute snake and a super cute cat? You guys do know that cats kills snakes right?

But as a matter of point, we are taking food on the trip so a cat would be needed as they keep rats out of our food.

Unless of course the rats are armed with rapiers like the mouses of Narnia
 
Or the many other series where mice have weapons and armor. Lets see your rapier stand up to a freaking mallet. That'd show em...

Unless we had to fight these two mice. I am pretty sure they are immortal.

1044725-mm_large.jpg
 
Anyone want me to narrate something for them? Whilst I enjoy some rough time with barbarian man?
 
You want to do some stuff with the White Stags? I'll fill you in on what I've got going on for them if you'd like. You know how to get a hold of me.
 
Going to have a bath for a bit and get rid of some sore muscles. Shoot me PM if you are still interested. I'll jump in as whoever you prefer.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top