Editing etiquette

Hi all, I've just taken on my first author, but I had a question: what is the best way to go about making changes to the text? Should I simply make changes/suggestions on the copy I was given or is there a way we should track changes so the author can see at a glance?
ConstantReader

If you're using Word, it has a track edits feature which is pretty standard in the biz, as I understand it. Also, from my own experience, it's the easiest way to do things. You just turn it on and go -- no clicking on tools to change font or color or anything.

I use Word 2003 on a PC, and to use the track edits feature you go to Tools, then Track Changes, or hit Ctrl-Shift-E.

Also, forgot -- talk to your author and see what works for them.

Use something that doesn't destroy the original and lets the author decided to accept or reject. The story is ultimately their responsibility. With Word that would be the system tracking change program.

I like Google Documents b/c changes can be suggested in the comments, and also b/c the editor and writer can work in a 'live' online format.

When I edit, I only highlight areas that need work and suggest rewrites. When I'm being edited, I hate it when and editor changes anything w/o discussing first, especially if an editor decides to rewrite sections. A good editor not only helps make the story better, but challenges the writer so the writer becomes better as well.

I put my thoughts and suggestions in [] brackets. Allows for easy ctrl+F and is quite obvious.

If you're using Word, it has a track edits feature which is pretty standard in the biz, as I understand it. Also, from my own experience, it's the easiest way to do things. You just turn it on and go -- no clicking on tools to change font or color or anything.

I use Word 2003 on a PC, and to use the track edits feature you go to Tools, then Track Changes, or hit Ctrl-Shift-E.

Also, forgot -- talk to your author and see what works for them.

aholding hands against ears to keeo from hearing the bastasrd words Ta=rack Changes..

Back