The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Hoildays 2018 Support Thread

I have a story in progress. Maybe it'll be done in time, maybe not. It isn't much 'in the spirit', but at least it's at Christmas.

Help with a Category?

Question...I was worried last night that if I didn't post then, I wouldn't have thee nerve to post the contest story, and I think I miscategorized it. It's out under Incest/Taboo, but I'm half wondering if either Erotic Horror or Nonhuman might be better choices?

I really am not quite sure what it is, other than a twisted fairy tale. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Snowbound

Question...I was worried last night that if I didn't post then, I wouldn't have thee nerve to post the contest story, and I think I miscategorized it. It's out under Incest/Taboo, but I'm half wondering if either Erotic Horror or Nonhuman might be better choices?

I really am not quite sure what it is, other than a twisted fairy tale. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Snowbound

If it’s got any incest in it at all, then I/T is the category it should be in. Incest overrides all else. As does Gay.

I read it. You have a nice little story, and it fits in I/T. You will get much more exposure there than in either Erotic Horror or NonHuman.

Here's to writing our way. *clinks bottles

That's what I say!

Thanks for the vote (of confidence) and the kind words. I came to the conclusion that I just have to write the stories I want to write and ignore the rest, which I already knew, but it helps to just affirm it. I enjoyed yours too. The sweeps are coming my friend. Raises bottle! :)

I got nothing this year. No ideas. Nothing in the drawer from previous years to finish. I'm focusing on Valentine's instead. Started something two years ago, and if I begin to fiddle with it now, there is a chance I can get it done in time for February. I am a slow writer...

I got nothing this year. No ideas. Nothing in the drawer from previous years to finish.
I have ideas and sketches for setups (see my Story Ideas posts) but not plots or endings, and certainly not of contest quality. Whatever drives my writing has powered down. More coffee doesn't help. The stories just do not want to be told. A sequence of fuck scenes, sure, but then what? I like twists; I'm apparently insufficiently twisted now. Whine whine whine...

I got nothing this year. No ideas. Nothing in the drawer from previous years to finish. I'm focusing on Valentine's instead. Started something two years ago, and if I begin to fiddle with it now, there is a chance I can get it done in time for February. I am a slow writer...

I so sympathize with that. I'm trying to get a story done before the end of the month, so I will have written 24 stories in 24 months since I started publishing here. But 9 of those stories were published in a furious rush of productivity in April-May 2017. Since then writing has proceeded at a snail's pace. I've got nothing for the winter holiday contest. The story I'm working on is set in the summer. But I'm amped up for a Valentine's Day story I started before last Valentine's Day. Romance and bondage, a combo I can get excited about.

I so sympathize with that. I'm trying to get a story done before the end of the month, so I will have written 24 stories in 24 months since I started publishing here. But 9 of those stories were published in a furious rush of productivity in April-May 2017. Since then writing has proceeded at a snail's pace.
In early years here, I posted about a story a week. Then I took a two year break and returned with about two stories a week. Now I've stopped and I don't know why. Maybe I have lost creativity.

IT TAKES WORK
Become the creative you’ve always wanted to be by embracing these seven habits

1. Steal like an artist
2. Always be researching
3. Enter new domains
4. Be more prolific
5. Give yourself permission to suck
6. Embrace constraints
7. Develop your ritual​
I steal a lot already. Is obsessive reading 'researching'? New domains -- no bestiality. 'Prolific' is "produce lots of crud and you'll maybe do something good." I suck already. Yes, constraints are vital -- unconstrained music is noise. And my ritual? Wake up. Think Do something. Pee. Go back to bed.

I'm no closer to a holiday story. Ratz.

In early years here, I posted about a story a week. Then I took a two year break and returned with about two stories a week. Now I've stopped and I don't know why. Maybe I have lost creativity.

IT TAKES WORK
Become the creative you’ve always wanted to be by embracing these seven habits

1. Steal like an artist
2. Always be researching
3. Enter new domains
4. Be more prolific
5. Give yourself permission to suck
6. Embrace constraints
7. Develop your ritual​
I steal a lot already. Is obsessive reading 'researching'? New domains -- no bestiality. 'Prolific' is "produce lots of crud and you'll maybe do something good." I suck already. Yes, constraints are vital -- unconstrained music is noise. And my ritual? Wake up. Think Do something. Pee. Go back to bed.

I'm no closer to a holiday story. Ratz.

Good advice. Ritual is the big one for me. I had a better one before and the recent one needs lots of work.

Two weeks until the submission deadline. I think I'll actually have my entry done by then, or even a week earlier.

As a noob, I decided to toss one in the pile. It is sitting waiting for publication.

It was a story I had kicking around in my head about a New Year's Eve party. Hopefully, that is wintery enough.

James

I've got one going, but it's growing exponentially on me. Flowing well, and quickly, but just getting big. It's already at 12.5k words, and I haven't even hit the main event yet.

In tone, it's undoubtedly an RR piece. It's going to be significantly longer than my usual formula, though. Probably be even longer than Holly Jolley last year, and that was already a far outsider.

If it finishes in time, I'll probably still be kicking around whether to leave it as RR or transfer it to Les until the last second.

Theoretically, I could finish the first draft before I have to go back to work on Wednesday at the rate I'm going. That would give me more than a week to polish it and still make the deadline, and I only work three days both of those weeks. For the rest of the year, actually. So much time in my bank that I scheduled every Saturday off between Thanksgiving and New Years with time to spare.

Even if I miss the deadline, it's Christmas themed, so that gives me another couple of weeks to get it out before the actual holiday.

Pushing 18k words, and really only heating up the main event. Fuck... This one is probably going to break 20k. At this point, I'm hoping to keep it under 25.

The Google ads I get sometimes are frikkin' hilarious. First, I'm researching security cameras. Then ancient Egyptian customs and architecture. Then it's obsidian razors. Then it's old Polaroids. Then it's Greek mythological creatures. Then it's button-crotch panties. Then I'm hunting for a good price to replace one of my boy's Disney movies. Google ads are always falling all over themselves trying to figure out what to show me.

I got one earlier today for a vinyl to digital transfer device.

I got one earlier today for a vinyl to digital transfer device.

I haven't experienced the stupidity of Google marketing, but I do suffer from Netscape's "Pocket" app.

They can't figure out if I'm a guy or a girl. They were starting to get things figured out until I did a little image research for dresses that a girl would wear to dinner. Suddenly I was a bride. They promoted gowns. They promoted jewelry. They were disappointed.

I kinda like confounding their software, but I'm more into callouses and worn-out boots. I'm not putting up with them for much longer.

Yep, I was researching club wear for a story a while back and got about two weeks worth of dresses, shoes, purses, etc.

I haven't experienced the stupidity of Google marketing, but I do suffer from Netscape's "Pocket" app.

They can't figure out if I'm a guy or a girl. They were starting to get things figured out until I did a little image research for dresses that a girl would wear to dinner. Suddenly I was a bride. They promoted gowns. They promoted jewelry. They were disappointed.

I kinda like confounding their software, but I'm more into callouses and worn-out boots. I'm not putting up with them for much longer.

Over 18.5k, and still in the foreplay stage. Luckily, I'd already planned to fade to black before round two starts up and focuses on the third of the threesome. The kink is with #1. If I wrote round two, the damn thing would probably be 30k.

I'm more or less locked in to keeping this one RR, because there are stories as Les with the same theme, and the tone of this one will clash dramatically with them. It's going to be the longest story in the list, and three times as long as the average, though.

I think with it being a series of steadily ramping sex scenes and a kink explosion at the end, it should be able to hold my normal readership. Worked pretty well last year with Holly Jolley.

First draft is done at 22,797.

Now, to let it sit and simmer until Saturday while I work on something else to get it out of my head, before starting the edit.

This thing is going to take forever to run through text-to-speech.

My best candidate is maybe 75-80% done but I'm just not driven to finish it. We'll see.

I'm nearing the finish line on reviewing number six. Happily, my publisher has accepted an anthology of these (except "Madison Mills," published separately) for Christmas 2019 release, so the middle finger to those doing what they can to keep these out of contest contention. They'll make money in the marketplace. :)

I'm nearing the finish line on reviewing number six. Happily, my publisher has accepted an anthology of these (except "Madison Mills," published separately) for Christmas 2019 release, so the middle finger to those doing what they can to keep these out of contest contention. They'll make money in the marketplace. :)

Congratulations 😀

Back