A proposal for the GLBT forums

I suggest that the parent forum should be an all inclusive name so that you avoid the dilemma of whether sex talk trumps serious talk or visa versa. Make sex & serious forums both subforums under the umbrella LGBT forum name that you come up with. Examples of catch all names might be like: "All things LGBT", or "Rainbow Room".
Agreed. It's probably worth keeping the current forum name because it's both familiar and all-inclusive. What gets posted in this particular forum and how the sub-forums are structured is another issue...

One way to handle it would be to make the "GLBT CHAT" link open up to a closed, no-post forum, featuring links to the subforums. The software could do that easily enough.
Agreed. Particularly important stickies might go here as well, such as "Which subforum is best for you?" (or some other title that doesn't imply that you must post somewhere in particular).

b. Rename "News and Issues" to "GLBT Discussions" because in the past there hasn't been much news posted and besides that would be the place to discuss it. That we all that has to happen is re-title what we have.
You would be calling "c)" your LGBT Talk. You'd call the sexual subforum "b)" your "Bi gals n guys...". NOTE: You might want to make sure it is understood that Lesbians, Gays, and Trans also put sex talk there. Otherwise, you may end up with sex talk in both b & c. I take it that your goal for the serious sub-forum is that the threads should focus more on relationships, coming out, concerns, rather than consisting mainly of thread after thread of sex talk -- namely penises. All the more reason to make sure that non-bi LGBT know that is appropriate space for them too. Otherwise, you may find there to be too much "penis" talk in the serious subform.
"Playground" and "Discussion?"
I'm in favour of "GLBT News & Discussion" (or just "GLBT Discussions", "GLBT Talk" or even "GLBT Serious Talk") for conversations on matters that are more related to issues, relationships & practices among GLBT people. This combines the "News & Issues" subforum with what I think is the goal of the "Discussions" subforum as it's being talked about here.

"GLBT Playground" for GLBT people who want to talk mainly about sex.

I still think a "Men who have sex with men (but aren't necessarily gay)" or "MSM Forum" subforum for both discussion & play is a good idea. Without a specific MSM category, the 'straight guy penis talk' will end up in both News & Discussion and Playground categories.

The Personals variations have their own heading but no harm in simply making a permanent link to it someplace
Agreed. The GLBT Personals are right now in the Personals forum and simply for familiarity's sake we might want to keep them there. There could be a link to them in the main GLBT forum.

Thus:

GLBT Chatter (empty forum with stickies & links to subforums)
> GLBT Discussions
> GLBT Playground
> MSM Forum
> GLBT Personals (link to subforum of Literotica Personals)​

Last edited:
Agreed. It's probably worth keeping the current forum name because it's both familiar and all-inclusive. What gets posted in this particular forum and how the sub-forums are structured is another issue...

Agreed. Particularly important stickies might go here as well, such as "Which subforum is best for you?" (or some other title that doesn't imply that you must post somewhere in particular).

I'm in favour of "GLBT News & Discussion" (or just "GLBT Discussions", "GLBT Talk" or even "GLBT Serious Talk") for conversations on matters that are more related to issues, relationships & practices among GLBT people. This combines the "News & Issues" subforum with what I think is the goal of the "Discussions" subforum as it's being talked about here.

"GLBT Playground" for GLBT people who want to talk mainly about sex.

I still think a "Men who have sex with men (but aren't necessarily gay)" or "MSM Forum" subforum for both discussion & play is a good idea. Without a specific MSM category, the 'straight guy penis talk' will end up in both News & Discussion and Playground categories.

Agreed. The GLBT Personals are right now in the Personals forum and simply for familiarity's sake we might want to keep them there. There could be a link to them in the main GLBT forum.

Thus:

GLBT Chatter (empty forum with stickies & links to subforums)
> GLBT Discussions
> GLBT Playground
> MSM Forum
> GLBT Personals (link to subforum of Literotica Personals)​
That certainly creates an umbrella!

Do you think that the 'playground' can include the MSM posts? I kind of think so. Also crossdressing, panties, shemale fantasies, etc.

lesbian playgrounding is rarely that ... vulgar, she said flapping her limp wrist. And there are plenty of gay guys who have a little more to say than "that's hot fapping now" on the subject of sex.

Or am I discounting something?

I was sort of thinking that the MSM Forum would include all MSM stuff - so MSM discussions (e.g. "Why do some straight guys want to suck cock") and playground-type material ("Who's straight and wants to suck cock today?"). I realize that there is significant overlap between gay sex talk and MSM talk. I guess I'm hoping that there'll be a 'self-segregation' based on perceived orientation. There'll inevitably be cross-talk, but I suggested previously that there might be less if a dedicated MSM forum existed. Whether this is true or not is up for debate. It might be worthwhile for someone (not me!) to evaluate the last, say, 500 threads to see in which category they'd fit best.

That having been said, my thinking was basically to a) separate the sex chat, hubba hubba and dick pic threads from the more 'serious' content like News & Issues, gay/lesbian relationship talk and similar things, and b) to have a section in which gays and (particularly) lesbians were less likely to have mostly-hetero guys tramping around, though I suppose the Playground could be 'common ground'. I generally agree with your comment about 'lesbian playgrounding' and would expect a thread like "Isle of Lesbos II" to stay in GLBT Discussions (is it 'playful' rather than 'playground'? :)).

I was thinking that posts about trans people might be found in GLBT as 'TS' and in MSM as 'shemale' depending on who was doing the writing and the audience for which they were aiming - I certainly wouldn't expect someone like Gi_Venus, for example, to post in the latter section. TV/CD writers could also post where they felt most comfortable.

I grant that this idea may not be the best, but I'm suggesting this particular subdivision in an attempt to address some of the comments I've read in this thread and elsewhere in GLBT Chatter. I'd love to hear other ideas.

Last edited:
I was thinking that posts about trans people might be found in GLBT as 'TS' and in MSM as 'shemale' depending on who was doing the writing and the audience for which they were aiming - I certainly wouldn't expect someone like Gi_Venus, for example, to post in the latter section. TV/CD writers could also post where they felt most comfortable.
Yes-- what I figured too...

If we forget the idea of a specifically MSM forum (by which I mean 'straight men'), then Playground takes most of the horny topics and Discussions takes the more serious ones, pretty much like the current News & Isses/GLBT Chatter division except that there might be slightly more posts in Discussions and slightly less in Playground than is the case today. Whether or not that's worth doing is debatable, and boils down, I think, to the relative presence of 'straight guys' in the various forums. Without creating a specific MSM forum, I don't really see much need for a revamping unless you're thinking about something else entirely, e.g. separate gay/lesbian subforums, or perhaps (or in addition!) a bisexual subforum or a trans subforum (either of which would absorb some of the MSM posts).

I'm not a big fan of creating too many subgroups, if only because it makes more work for mods, but I'll put the suggestions out there anyway. Let me therefore make several proposals, which I'm sure by no means exhaust all the possibilities - feel free to demolish any or all of them. :D Subforum titles are relatively unimportant at the moment.

(GLBT Personals can be moved to a subforum of GLBT Chatter, it can stay where it is and be linked to from GLBT Chatter, or it can be left entirely on its own as is currently the case.)

Option A:
GLBT Chatter
> News & Issues
> Personals​

Status quo, more or less.

Option B:
GLBT Chatter (empty forum w/stickies & links)
> GLBT Discussions (incl. News & Issues)
> MSM
> Playground
> Personals​

My previous suggestion.

Option C:
GLBT Chatter (incl. N&I?)
> Gays, Lesbians & Trans (incl. N&I?)
> Bisexuals (& probably most MSM)
> Playground
> GLBT Personals​

As I pointed out previously, the more you split things up, the less place there is to talk about common issues. Options here are to keep the News & Issues in the GLT subforum or move it to the root GLBT Chatter. If you do the latter (rather than keeping the root empty save for stickies & links) then people, being people, will sometimes post there about stuff that should more properly go in the various subforums.

Option D:
GLBT Chatter (incl. News & Issues)
> Gays (& probably some MSM posts)
> Lesbians
> Trans (& some MSM posts)
> Bisexuals (& probably most MSM)
> GLBT Personals​

Again, you'll likely get some posts in the root that should be in the subforums. In this case there's probably no need for a Playground as each group will have its own subforum in which to make sexy talk.

Well, I was thinking;
1 GLBT discussion (news, identity, relationships, some 'shop talk' for all the GLBT categories-- trans folk included. Most of the lesbians would probably want to post there)
2 Playground (MSM, and CD fetish, I think-- mostly)
3 link to personals

I imagine GLBT discussion would be fairly slow moving, and playground would move as fast as it already does, but that's not really how we evaluate the worth of a forum.

Last edited:
Dammit Stella! I just spent ages counting threads to provide the substance to that same conclusion *tears up old envelope covered with scribbles* :D
Here's a head count of today's page one in GLBT - I'm a scientist ok?!
11 Bisexual/Any sex/big writhing heap of bodies
6 MSM
3 Trans ( all discussion )
5 Lesbian ( half discussion )
11 Gay

Well, I was thinking;
1 GLBT discussion (news, identity, relationships, some 'shop talk' for all the GLBT categories-- trans folk included. Most of the lesbians would probably want to post there)
2 Playground (MSM, and CD fetish, I think-- mostly)
3 link to personals

I imagine GLBT discussion would be fairly slow moving, and playground would move as fast as it already does, but that's not really how we evaluate the worth of a forum.

I also think a LGBT discussion would be more active if we didn't need to workaround all of the If Your Dick Is In Your Hand... posts.
(hat tip to Stickygirl for ^^ THAT ^^ name, btw)

I know there are a lot of times I've thought about posting/commenting and said fuck it because I knew my post/comment would get ignore/buried/invaded by the dick waffle brigade.

Any thoughts given to asking for a bisexual/bi curious subforum as well?

Last edited:
I also think a LGBT discussion would be more active if we didn't need to workaround all of the If Your Dick Is In Your Hand... posts.
(hat tip to Stickygirl for ^^ THAT ^^ name, btw)

I know there are a lot of times I've thought about posting/commenting and said fuck it because I knew my post/comment would get ignore/buried/invaded by the dick waffle brigade.

That would be the Playground.

Women would tend to post even their playful stuff in Discussion, because that's how women roll... it's always discussion with us!

And yeah to the rest of it...

Dammit Stella! I just spent ages counting threads to provide the substance to that same conclusion *tears up old envelope covered with scribbles* :D
Here's a head count of today's page one in GLBT - I'm a scientist ok?!
You shame me. I'm not even sure how to classify most of them. I take it you're also lumping 'Playground' and 'Discussion' type threads together - not that it's a bad thing, but it might make the non-Playground distribution different. If most or all of the Bi threads are actually 'Playground', then that means MSM is just a little over 20% of 'GLBT' (non-Playground discussion-type) threads. Is that enough for a separate subforum? On the other hand (so to speak), with gay men in the mix that means that 2/3 of 'GLBT' posts have something to do with penises.

[...]

Those are the main reasons for my Options C & D. If there's no MSM forum I figure MSM will post mostly in a bisexual forum if it exists (cause it's not, ya know, gay :D ) or, failing that, in a Gay (men's) forum. I think bi women would post either in a Bisexual or Lesbian forum, but if there's no MSM forum and most of the MSM are posting in bisexual that may push more bi/curious women to a Lesbian forum. If anything, I think this is an argument for my Option B (which is effectively the same as C but the bi women will be in the GLBT part and not the MSM part).

The facts support what you're saying so, yes, 2/3 of glbt will be penis endowed: that's just how it is and I've no prob with them. My concern is that if you sub-divide too much then it makes the smaller threads look like tumble-weed towns and no one will post there. I don't want to ring fence different interest groups but simply keep specifically discussion type threads in their own area to avoid the problems of penises trolling lesbian talk, amongst other things.

Oh c'mon KB - where's your unquenchable optimism?!
It needs to be done cos I think the cross-gender stomping pisses people off and they just don't come back to Lit

GLBT chatter;
  • LGBT forum (which can include the news items, I would think. It would be a slower forum regardless.)
  • Bisexual playground (or GLBT playground? I just figure a lot of stuff can all go there.)
  • GLBT personals

GLBT chatter;
  • LGBT forum (which can include the news items, I would think. It would be a slower forum regardless.)
  • Bisexual playground (or GLBT playground? I just figure a lot of stuff can all go there.)
  • GLBT personals
So basically a Discussion forum (news, issues & serious talk), a Sex Talk forum (including most of the picture threads, I'd guess?), and Personals? Sure, works for me.

Yes ^^^ So... who's writing the poll thingey?
PS is that my hat?
NO it's not your hat! Whadda you, the owner of every Panama out there?
jeeze. :rolleyes:

Do we think that women would tend towards posting in LGBT first-- instead of the open forum? Because that's the intent. Also guys when they want to talk about something other than what the first time was like, and also trans folk who want to talk about those issues.

Should the open-ish forum be called GLBT Sex Talk? GLBT Playground? GLBT Exploration?

I'd keep the top title the same, because we're going to include the same content, so LGBT Chatter. Then we want to carve up that content into LGBT Playground; LGBT Forum (because it won't all be sex talk); LGBT Personals.

I think lesbian women & trans* folk would head for the forum unless they wanted to play.

The Playground/ Forum watershed works as "You have or would like an erection in your hand" / "You don't " I know it's funny but it's true. Oppositional sexism in harmony with reality - Wooo

tetchy about the hat aintcha?

I'd keep the top title the same, because we're going to include the same content, so LGBT Chatter. Then we want to carve up that content into LGBT Playground; LGBT Forum (because it won't all be sex talk); LGBT Personals.

I think lesbian women & trans* folk would head for the forum unless they wanted to play.

The Playground/ Forum watershed works as "You have or would like an erection in your hand" / "You don't " I know it's funny but it's true. Oppositional sexism in harmony with reality - Wooo

tetchy about the hat aintcha?
It took me a long time to find one that fit is all... ;)

Well, that sounds good to me, anyone else?

I think "GLBT Sex Talk" for the Playground forum is a bit more obvious, but I'll go with the majority. The explanatory text under the forum heading could be used to direct people to the appropriate subtopic.

I concur.

I sent Laurel a PM asking if this is feasible in the first place-- before we put up a poll.

Maybe I'll get an answer back, who knows? :)

BTW, please do nudge me if I don't come back to this soon. Packing is really stressing me out, hah. Only 2.5 weeks left here in Japan! But I do want to give this attention.

Fucking NUDGE!!!!! ;)

Back