Feeling Chatty

Being a geek is awesome. Out thinking your opponents beats brawn. Dr Who was good but now it's monster of the week crap. Stopped watching it ages ago.

I feel like I missed out at 41. Girls were much less likely to fly their geek flag when I was young. Fly that flag proudly!

I feel like I missed out at 41. Girls were much less likely to fly their geek flag when I was young. Fly that flag proudly!

Oh that's not fair, it was a different time back then. I'm sure there were plenty of geeky girls, they probably just needed the encouragement we geeky girls enjoy today.

Oh that's not fair, it was a different time back then. I'm sure there were plenty of geeky girls, they probably just needed the encouragement we geeky girls enjoy today.

Good evening SFU.....still feeling chatty? I'm traveling for work in scenic Des Moines. Needless to say, there's nothing to do here, and I'd love to chat if you're up for it.

the old scify movies are the best I think...esp when you can remember them coming out in the theaters for the first time..

A day late (two days, but let's not split hairs here) and as many dollars short as you care to mention on this, however I feel that the "how geeky are you?" question comes from a place of paranoia. There is a rising trend on the internet of accusing females of being "fake geek girls" and I think this comes, obviously, from the love of our callous friends in marketing to do whatever they can to appeal to however they can. However I think it also comes in large part from the years of ostracization that geekdom has suffered, you'll find many of the gentlemen still find it hard to accept that anybody of the opposite gender could possibly be interested in these things without some kind of ulterior motive.

I also couldn't agree with you more about Dr Who it's a show that I simply don't understand the appeal of. It's considered something of a national treasure with a lot of my friends but I'm starting to think they're all insane, I mean they also believe the original Fright Night was better than the remake so who knows which of their opinions is trust worthy anymore?

A day late (two days, but let's not split hairs here) and as many dollars short as you care to mention on this, however I feel that the "how geeky are you?" question comes from a place of paranoia. There is a rising trend on the internet of accusing females of being "fake geek girls" and I think this comes, obviously, from the love of our callous friends in marketing to do whatever they can to appeal to however they can. However I think it also comes in large part from the years of ostracization that geekdom has suffered, you'll find many of the gentlemen still find it hard to accept that anybody of the opposite gender could possibly be interested in these things without some kind of ulterior motive.

I also couldn't agree with you more about Dr Who it's a show that I simply don't understand the appeal of. It's considered something of a national treasure with a lot of my friends but I'm starting to think they're all insane, I mean they also believe the original Fright Night was better than the remake so who knows which of their opinions is trust worthy anymore?

I understand this, I get called a fake geek girl, even in my own circle of friends. I had a guy friend, who I introduced into several fandoms, and showed him the 501st Website where he quickly became enamored with cosplay, met a ton of what are now really good friends there, and a year later called me a wannabe geek. Said his dedication far out ranked mine. When I questioned why he thought that was, because he not only was willing, but had the hundreds of dollars to drop on costumes and conventions did that make him a bigger geek than me, he had no answer, other than to stop talking to little wannabe me.

While I miss my friend I could care less. If he wants to be an ass, fuck him. And not in the fun way. Because quite honestly, I do know about being ostrisized for being different and there for I don't view being different and nonconformity as an evil. Just because being geeky is more social acceptable doesn't mean we geeks should forget about being an outsider. Which is one if the many reasons I love this site. There mightsome out there who judge harshly about a kink or desire you have but more often than not there is someone who adores you for it and wants to explore it more with you.

So in response to my post I've had a lot of people pm me and say "you probably won't think I'm geeky" or "I'm not into what you are, this is what I like... Hope that's okay" Which makes me want to gig people. So to be clear, to me being a geek is all about passion. If you love something enough to smile like a jackass when you come across, and have the kind of excitement exclusive to kids when you talk about it... That's your geek. Enjoy it and anyone who judges you as not enough for it can take a hike. Fly whatever geek flag you have and fuck everyone else... again not in the fun way.

I understand this, I get called a fake geek girl, even in my own circle of friends. I had a guy friend, who I introduced into several fandoms, and showed him the 501st Website where he quickly became enamored with cosplay, met a ton of what are now really good friends there, and a year later called me a wannabe geek. Said his dedication far out ranked mine. When I questioned why he thought that was, because he not only was willing, but had the hundreds of dollars to drop on costumes and conventions did that make him a bigger geek than me, he had no answer, other than to stop talking to little wannabe me.

While I miss my friend I could care less. If he wants to be an ass, fuck him. And not in the fun way. Because quite honestly, I do know about being ostrisized for being different and there for I don't view being different and nonconformity as an evil. Just because being geeky is more social acceptable doesn't mean we geeks should forget about being an outsider. Which is one if the many reasons I love this site. There mightsome out there who judge harshly about a kink or desire you have but more often than not there is someone who adores you for it and wants to explore it more with you.

So in response to my post I've had a lot of people pm me and say "you probably won't think I'm geeky" or "I'm not into what you are, this is what I like... Hope that's okay" Which makes me want to gig people. So to be clear, to me being a geek is all about passion. If you love something enough to smile like a jackass when you come across, and have the kind of excitement exclusive to kids when you talk about it... That's your geek. Enjoy it and anyone who judges you as not enough for it can take a hike. Fly whatever geek flag you have and fuck everyone else... again not in the fun way.
I say here here to passion

This is the last place I would have expected a debate on whether one was sufficiently geeky ...

i confess...

I guess i can admit ive been known to fall into the video game geek here and there. Ill usually buy a game and then just be stuck on it for a while. Guess its just the inner kid in me. Lol

When I questioned why he thought that was, because he not only was willing, but had the hundreds of dollars to drop on costumes and conventions did that make him a bigger geek than me, he had no answer, other than to stop talking to little wannabe me.

The reason I stopped playing Magic: The Gathering. Loved the game, but never had the cash to buy all the cards, so I kept losing against those that could afford superior decks. So in a way I got pushed out by the very people I introduced to the game, simply because I couldn't keep up with their spending rate.

I love all the stories I'm hearing about what people are passionate about. It's a great way to get to know people.

It's unfortunate, but the double-edged sword (ha!) will most likely always be there. You'll either be a geek in the closet, or out and fighting off accusations of being a poseur.

Not that it's any consolation, but you'll find the same happening in any sub-culture: veganism, sports fanatics, hip-hop, bikers, etc.

I'm sure we've all heard this advice before but it bears repeating. Just be yourself and everything will fall into place.

As a prior poster said (though I'm correcting him) ... hear, hear. ;)

It's unfortunate, but the double-edged sword (ha!) will most likely always be there. You'll either be a geek in the closet, or out and fighting off accusations of being a poseur.

Not that it's any consolation, but you'll find the same happening in any sub-culture: veganism, sports fanatics, hip-hop, bikers, etc.

I'm sure we've all heard this advice before but it bears repeating. Just be yourself and everything will fall into place.

Pm sent.. Although maybe I should of sent a greeting pm first lol. But idk if you just want naughty pms or introduction pms lol

Sometimes, like right now, I look around and realize I don't actually want to talk to any of these people. So I'm just going to come hang out here and chat with you lovely people.

My Sunday could be better, but what can you do besides smile and hope it gets better?

Back