The Mansion

She stood, looking out of her study's window, thinking. Her foot lightly tapped the floor. Emotions came to the fore.

Damn you, Ice. It's been far too long. Where are you?

He probably was either working abroad or off on his latest hobby. The one that scared the hell out of her because she worried about him and for him. She had sent her latest phone number by text and she hasn't heard back. Ugh! It was a good thing he wasn't available. She wasn't sure if she would hug him or scold him. He could be such a shit sometimes.

She needed to switch mental gears. She needed to get back into writing. Something hot. Something... kinky. Her lips quirked in amusement. Between Dryfter and some of the other guys she knew here, someone could fit the bill to a tee. She needed something with some bit of substance, not just slap and tickle. Although... her right brow arched slightly as her lips curved into a wicked grin to match the sudden twinkle in her eyes. She had nothing against slap and tickle either so long as her partner could spell and write more than just two or three lines.

Winter was coming and with it long nights. Work kept her busy but surely she could manage something. Wicked. Kinky. Damn.

A letter, left with flowers on the landing stairs. His place, really. Their blooms the soft orange, reds, and yellows of autumn.

A letter, left with flowers on the landing stairs. His place, really. Their blooms the soft orange, reds, and yellows of autumn.

She returned to the Mansion as if called there. Tossing her purse into a nearby chair, her chin elevated as she delicately sniffed. The only sound that echoed in the empty home was the sound of her heels as she walked back toward the staircase. She stopped suddenly and smiled. Her eyes noted the letter. The colors of the flowers. Stooping, she lifted the letter from the stairs and made to sit on a step as her fingers slid under the flap of the envelope. The folded paper was withdrawn, opened and silently read then just as suddenly, refolded and replaced in its opened vessel.

He was good. Safe. Onto another adventure. She wished him well with love. His happiness was something she wanted for him for ever so long now.

Well. There was no telling how long it would be before she heard from him again. If she ever did. No. They had been friends for far too long for either of them to forget the other, at least until their mortal coil on this earth came to an end. Hers before his, obviously. Hopefully, that won't come to be for some time yet.

For now, she wished him God Speed. And happiness. Much happiness.

As before, she gathered up his offering and her heels tapped on the floor as she disappeared into kitchen to get vases filled with water for her flowers. Her last. For awhile no doubt.

Last edited:
She returned to the Mansion as if called there. Tossing her purse into a nearby chair, her chin elevated as she delicately sniffed. The only sound that echoed in the empty home was the sound of her heels as she walked back toward the staircase. She stopped suddenly and smiled. Her eyes noted the letter. The colors of the flowers. Stooping, she lifted the letter from the stairs and made to sit on a step as her fingers slid under the flap of the envelope. The folded paper was withdrawn, opened and silently read then just as suddenly, refolded and replaced in its opened vessel.

He was good. Safe. Onto another adventure. She wished him well with love. His happiness was something she wanted for him for ever so long now.

Well. There was no telling how long it would be before she heard from him again. If she ever did. No. They had been friends for far too long for either of them to forget the other, at least until their mortal coil on this earth came to an end. Hers before his, obviously. Hopefully, that won't come to be for some time yet.

For now, she wished him God Speed. And happiness. Much happiness.

As before, she gathered up his offering and her heels tapped on the floor as she disappeared into kitchen to get vases filled with water for her flowers. Her last. For awhile no doubt.

Hopefully her next look something like this...
stock-photo-wild-flowers-of-high-altitude-himalayas-meters-ladakh-jammu-kashmir-india-88335628.jpg

Looking out of her study window, she contemplated the out of doors. It was fall for crying out loud. The temperatures of late were hard put to prove that fact however. If it weren't for the calendar on her wall and the growing number of leaves in her yard, she wouldn't have believed it.

She found her time to write almost non-existent. However, that, more than anything, proved more to her than anything else, she wasn't a dedicated writer and she never would be. The love of putting pen to paper, so to speak, of taking her imagination and breathing life into it, only happened when the mood was upon her. Life has dictated that her time be spent elsewhere. A shame really. She loved writing. Always had since she was a little girl. She felt lucky that she had made her dream a reality. There was a book floating in the real world that had her name on it. Only one and probably now, forgotten. That mattered little. The fact it was a done deal was more than enough to satisfy.

Maybe, just maybe, she should hang up her "pen".....

Soft laughter filled the room.

Who was she kidding anyway?

*takes a knee and bites the marked spot with only a little restraint before straightening up with a smirk*

Don't threaten me with a good time. :p

*takes a knee and bites the marked spot with only a little restraint before straightening up with a smirk*

Don't threaten me with a good time. :p

*glances at the teeth marks on her ass cheek and smirks, quirking a brow at him*

Threatening? Who's threatening? I never threaten. Warn maybe. Never threaten.

*snickers and disappears into the ether*

Today she wasn't entertaining. Dryfter's parents were. The children were picked up this morning. The foodstuffs she was providing were ready to go as was she.

A quick look around from the front door, she smiled softly, lifting a hand and with a small gesture, she tossed glitter into the air. It started to fall then froze into letters.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Lit friends. May your day be generous, safe and memorable.

The door closed with a soft click and her heels tapped on the concrete sidewalk as she made her way to the car and Dryfter.

She had chosen to walk home from town and stopped to admire several buildings all decked out in Christmas decorations. It strengthened her resolve to have the mansion glowing with holiday lights. Winter wonderland figures decked out on the lawn greeting neighbors and visitors alike.

Fr33k's shop caught her eye and she stopped to admire what she could see as she peered in. Several of the mechanical animals were the ones she had given him. The little beasties had been a great help.

Cait hurried toward home, pulling her cellphone from her handbag and dialing home. Instructions were given to the maid who answered. Once satisfied that her instructions would be carried out, she shifted the packages in her arms and continued on her way, stopping now and then to admire the holiday decorations of others, all of which gave her some wonderful ideas....

The celebrations have come to a close. Decorations were once more stored. A new year has come. What will it hold?

Surrounded by death, not something horrid or accidental but rather simply the natural way of things, it has been a heavy load on my heart. However, it has also taught me to accept Life. To rejoice in it because Time is fleeting. When younger, it wasn't something I gave thought to. I miss those that have passed. They tell me, don't get involved. I can not heed that advice. It's just not me. I chose this situation. I wanted to give back. I wanted to give smiles and laughter.

Winter is deep and it has come to some sooner than others. Taking them back into the Earth, into rest while their souls fly free. I am grateful for every person who has come my way. Each have given me a gift of some sort. I am grateful.

I am complete. I have joy.

I wish all of you the very best in this new year. I am hoping to have more time to write :)kiss: Fr33k) and (foot tapping while giving Ice THAT look)

A smile. A moment taken to slip into this place for one last time before he vanishes into the ether. Thirteen months without logging in, sadly, though his return is certain after that time. He lays the flowers on the landing. They are a simple affection. An acknowledgement. And with it a small card.

Cait,
Dearest friend. My adventure starts tomorrow and I will not be able to check in. I'll think of you. Wish me and honey_nut the best. I love that little sweetness and I think she's going to follow me. Can you believe it?

You always said you wanted desperately to see me happy.

I wish you could see me now.

With love,
LI

He is gone by now. By the Grace and Gift of this place the flowers are just as fresh as when he left them. She bent down to retrieve them and the card, pausing to read it. A smile comes to her face. She remembered their last conversation. A bit of sadness shadows her eyes. For just a moment. Thirteen months. Well then. If that's how long it will take, she could wait. His friendship, caring and love meant that much to her. Thirteen months. The shadows vanished as she went inside. His happiness. Just the thought of it. It chased away any sadness that could possibly linger.

I wish you and honey_nut all the best life will place before you both. I don't have to wish you love, you've found it my dearest friend. Be safe. Be well. Both of you. You know where to find me when you return. I'll miss you and think of you both from time to time.

Enjoy your adventures.

I send my love with you.

A smile. A moment taken to slip into this place for one last time before he vanishes into the ether. Thirteen months without logging in, sadly, though his return is certain after that time. He lays the flowers on the landing. They are a simple affection. An acknowledgement. And with it a small card.

Cait,
Dearest friend. My adventure starts tomorrow and I will not be able to check in. I'll think of you. Wish me and honey_nut the best. I love that little sweetness and I think she's going to follow me. Can you believe it?

You always said you wanted desperately to see me happy.

I wish you could see me now.

With love,
LI

*pops in just to see who's about and who's not and mutters to herself*

I see Z has come and gone again. She'll be back. At some point.

CG is always to be counted on.

Not so many I know still are here. I don't know if that's a good thing or a shame.

*A quick flip of her wrist and the lights go off. Again. *

The ice tinkled. The sound of it brought her eyes and her attention to the glass in her hand. Tiny rivulets of water slid down the outside.

Lord, how she missed him. The odd text or phone call. Five months next week with 8 more to go. He'll be happy to hear that she and Dryfter were still together, still in love and thinking of getting married.

There was no pretense of finding time to write anything of late. She simply just didn't have the time. Work and her home life kept her extremely busy. She never said never...not anymore. The Universe took perverse pleasure in proving her wrong.

For now, simply enjoying the 4th of July was a blessing.

A soft sigh. A stretch of muscles. A sip from her glass.

Life is damn fine. Damn fine.

Last edited:
And he lived!

Well, mostly. The last five months had been a hard trial. There was always a time when the bill had to be paid. The time was now. She'd be disappointed in him if he'd time to catch her up on all of it. But, as he drifted through, he could hear her chiding him in his head. He could imagine the grim look she'd give him. And he knew, that after, she'd be there all the same like so few people had. An old friend. A strange friend. From a strange place.

His honey_nut was moving to Madison to pursue her PhD. And, despite having every reason not to love him, she still did. He, having every reason to love her, did so madly. But the distance wasn't going to work. Not then. Not now, certainly. So, he was ready for the next adventure.

He laid the flowers on the step where he always had. A burst of summer wildflowers, a few desert blooms.

And the note that read:

I have never been an easy man to be around. Now, more than ever, that is the case. But if there was anyone that could get through to me, my thickness of manner and measure, I have found her.

Wish me luck, Cait.

The time is now. I'm giving it up to the universe and casting my lot for love and love alone. I'm following her and casting aside everything else. She is a lionness. And she loves me.

Wish me luck, Cait.

I am casting my dice and throwing caution to the wind. My love for her is real and potent and strong. It drives me past the point of reckless. Is there such a thing as so wild you're wise? I feel there must be. I feel that I am. I am so glad that you are well. You are missed.

-LI

And he lived!

Well, mostly. The last five months had been a hard trial. There was always a time when the bill had to be paid. The time was now. She'd be disappointed in him if he'd time to catch her up on all of it. But, as he drifted through, he could hear her chiding him in his head. He could imagine the grim look she'd give him. And he knew, that after, she'd be there all the same like so few people had. An old friend. A strange friend. From a strange place.

His honey_nut was moving to Madison to pursue her PhD. And, despite having every reason not to love him, she still did. He, having every reason to love her, did so madly. But the distance wasn't going to work. Not then. Not now, certainly. So, he was ready for the next adventure.

He laid the flowers on the step where he always had. A burst of summer wildflowers, a few desert blooms.

And the note that read:

I have never been an easy man to be around. Now, more than ever, that is the case. But if there was anyone that could get through to me, my thickness of manner and measure, I have found her.

Wish me luck, Cait.

The time is now. I'm giving it up to the universe and casting my lot for love and love alone. I'm following her and casting aside everything else. She is a lionness. And she loves me.

Wish me luck, Cait.

I am casting my dice and throwing caution to the wind. My love for her is real and potent and strong. It drives me past the point of reckless. Is there such a thing as so wild you're wise? I feel there must be. I feel that I am. I am so glad that you are well. You are missed.

-LI

And He lives! So many questions and yet, per usual, little time. Regardless, none of it mattered. The important thing was his happiness. A small smile crossed her lips. Her eyes lit up with joy as she read his note. FINALLY He understood. She hoped. She prayed. Placing it all in the Hands of the Universe, things happen. Hadn't it been so when she met Dryfter?

She scooped up the flowers, bending her head slightly to sniff them. Habit, that. Their simple beauty stood for the friendship between them. As ever. As always. She pondered. Madison? As in Wisconsin? Surely the Universe wasn't that kind to her. No, it must be somewhere else.

The note was tucked away. Her bare feet made no sound on the tiled floor. A soft shake of her head. A soft chuckle of laughter.

I wish you all the luck I possess, LI and all my love. Believe in the Universe and IT will lead you where you need to be.

And as if it were a wish to be made (which it was), she blew it into the air. Into the Universe. It would find him. In the meantime, the flowers needed water and a place where they could soak up the sun. Now where did that maid move the vases to?

It's been years since she's been here. Life got busy, as life does. She made her way back now, though. There's not much she left behind, here, but Cait has been on her mind a bit the last couple of days.

Wouldn't feel right to be back here and not stop in to say hello to the other woman. She'd been there when things had been tough, when the light didn't seem to shine quite as bright anymore.

She's pleased when the door is unlocked, and even more pleased to find that everything feels mostly the same. There's a warmth to this place that makes her think of summer days in summer dresses, and winter months in the kitchen enjoying the heat of the oven as she baked. It's familiar and comforting all at once.

A basket of muffins and freshly-baked cookies is left on the kitchen counter, along with a note. She leaves as quietly and as easily as she came. It won't be so long before she's back, though. Not this time.

Cait -

I'd much rather be hugging you, and catching up face-to-face. Our paths will cross sooner rather than later. In the meantime, enjoy the cookies and muffins as always. Miss you. Let's make plans. Girl's night?

-Tanyia

P.S. It's probably a long shot - but is my room still available?

It's been years since she's been here. Life got busy, as life does. She made her way back now, though. There's not much she left behind, here, but Cait has been on her mind a bit the last couple of days.

Wouldn't feel right to be back here and not stop in to say hello to the other woman. She'd been there when things had been tough, when the light didn't seem to shine quite as bright anymore.

She's pleased when the door is unlocked, and even more pleased to find that everything feels mostly the same. There's a warmth to this place that makes her think of summer days in summer dresses, and winter months in the kitchen enjoying the heat of the oven as she baked. It's familiar and comforting all at once.

A basket of muffins and freshly-baked cookies is left on the kitchen counter, along with a note. She leaves as quietly and as easily as she came. It won't be so long before she's back, though. Not this time.

Cait -

I'd much rather be hugging you, and catching up face-to-face. Our paths will cross sooner rather than later. In the meantime, enjoy the cookies and muffins as always. Miss you. Let's make plans. Girl's night?

-Tanyia

P.S. It's probably a long shot - but is my room still available?

Life was a fickle mistress. She certainly missed this place. Every time she entered her home away from home, memories..of times... of faces. came flooding back. Mostly good ones.

She floated in. That thought made her smile. It was the dress she wore. Sleeveless, form fitting to the waist, then floating out around her thighs. Perhaps so. Perhaps not. Ah well. Summer was lingering. It would be gone all too soon. Cait stopped in her office to drop off a few things. As she stepped out, her nose twitched. What was that delicious smell? Her feet took her to the kitchen where she stopped short as she saw the basket of muffins and the cookies. Who on earth? There was a note. As she read, she smiled widely. Of course. Who else could it have been. Ice didn't cook. It could only have been Tanyia. Cait couldn't resist. She fished out a cookie and bit into it. Oh dear heavens. The Goddess who left these was a divine gift.

Cait scribbled out a note, bent over the counter, munching on the cookie.

Dear Tanyia,

Of course your room is still yours and open. Feel free to inhibit it whenever you like.

No promises mind you, you know how fickle a mistress Life is, but yes, let's try to plan a girls night. I'll provide the wine if you provide the dessert, deal? It's good to know you have come back for the time being. Feel free to treat my home as yours. The maids will take care of you. They need someone to take care of since I told them that Ice is otherwise occupied. They're sulking.

Save that hug for me.

~Cait

Sitting at her desk, the end of a pen rests between her teeth for a moment as she thinks, then begins to scribble. She leaves orders for the Halloween decorations to be brought up from the cellar.

A solitary flower on the stairs. The barn an empty, abandoned place.

Typewriter silent for so long the keys have seized. Machines, like men, can be fixed. Their broken parts repaired. Worked back into proper order. Everyone prefers new things, though. There's no history there. No lack of confidence.

A solitary flower on the stairs. The barn, an empty, abandoned place.

Her eyes found the solitary flower once more, over the steam rising from her coffee mug. Idly she sat, softly chewing on her bottom lip, worry shadowing her eyes. Words gently raced through her mind. Was she being reassuring or trying to convince herself? Maybe... a little of both.

Men can mend but can they ever truly be fixed? Man could rise from the ashes, like a phoenix or become less than they once were, but she knew. Aye, she knew. A deep breath was drawn and slowly released.

A solitary tear slipped down her cheek unchecked.

A solitary flower on the stairs. The barn an empty, abandoned place.

Typewriter silent for so long the keys have seized. Machines, like men, can be fixed. Their broken parts repaired. Worked back into proper order. Everyone prefers new things, though. There's no history there. No lack of confidence.

A solitary flower on the stairs. The barn, an empty, abandoned place.

Back