Different Perspectives in one story

DanielB3579

Virgin
I am thinking of writing a story about a couple that decides to experiment with the wife having sex with another man while the husband watches from a hidden location. I want to write the story from both the husband's perspective and the wife's.

What is the the best way to let the reader know the perspective of the story is changing from one person to another?

Thank you,

Dan

my arab hijab wife with my boss

Hai friends i am nico 35 year from Sacramento california , am working in softwere company ,i am white my wife is arab from syria she is 26 year, i given my wife to my boss...... my companies effect economic crisis , my boss protect my job, 4 week befeore he saw my wife in my office and he told me, you ara a luky man you got a beautiful arab hijab wife ,and i am realy like ur wife, iam realy wanna meet ur wife and dinner with her ,i didnt say nothin,because of my situation , every day he told me these words ,in last saturday was boss birthday party at his beach villa at Sonoma County, he invite us, saturday evening i called my wife told her today night boss birth day party at his beach villa u ready for that ok, we reached his villa aftr 8ock ,it was great bithday party, his many friend are there , he come down invite us ,he offer me drink for us , she not drink alkohol, i took some drink , i know that boss wanna flirt with My wife, after 11ock party almost over, i told my wife i forgot somethin in my office i wanna go and get that its importent for tomarrow persentation ,wife mad at me she tell me she wanna come with me i told her u wait i will come back with in hours she going realy mad at me get inside , i told my boss i am going , come back soon, (he got that point)before starting my car am look inside he offerd drink to her she start drinking, I am take my car away from the parking area , park near to road and come back ,after half hour, every body is goin , I am wait near to beach,I am start smoking, I can saw clear insde home and,when I saw boss and my wife alone in the couch, he flirting with her she drinking, he slowly touch her hand and up touch her face and finger move on the lip , I saw that she actually enjoying that moment, slowly kiss her lip ,then he using tongue to tongue kiss hardly and slowly remove her hijabi dress and remove her bra and panty kiss her tits and kising slowly down kiss near her pussy and kiss her ass , he take her hand to his dick she start moving dick, she situp start suck his dick and ball after blow job , she slowly lying on the couch in naked in that time he going inside and come back with some net type of dress given to her, she start ware that dress he help her the he took some picture of her , she is in seduced mood ,take her in his bedroom
after 4ock , i get inside his house saw she drinked faint and remove her hijab dress, ware some sexy dress i took her to home ,moring she woke up tell i am sorry for last night,she didnt know clearly,what happendlast night , In monday boss realy happy at me ,share me some pictures, my wife remove hijab,he give sexy dress, she ware,sex with my wife ,he didnt know i was ther thats all friends , iam not a good writer i know that, thanks nico

I am thinking of writing a story about a couple that decides to experiment with the wife having sex with another man while the husband watches from a hidden location. I want to write the story from both the husband's perspective and the wife's.

What is the the best way to let the reader know the perspective of the story is changing from one person to another?

Thank you,

Dan

Set them off in separate sections if the passages are long. Just do it as third-person omniscient and make who is speaking/thinking quite clear, if you are bouncing back and forth between the two in short bursts (which is a little hard to pull off). If the latter case, for Literotica, and you didn't want to include a lot of he thought/she thought slugs, you could try putting one side of the perspective in italics (but this wouldn't fly well if you tried it in the mainstream--it may have been done at sometime or other, though). If you do this, you'd still have to make quite clear to the reader whose thoughts are in italics and whose are in roman.

Thank you,

Dan

A scene break is probably easiest. Most people do that with a line like "* * * *" between sections, or an extra blank line or two. You could give each section its own chapter heading or subtitle, but that might be clunky. If it's clearly broken out, the reader shouldn't have any trouble. Trust the reader -- a reader can follow a story if the writer lays out the plan.

A scene break is probably easiest. Most people do that with a line like "* * * *" between sections, or an extra blank line or two. You could give each section its own chapter heading or subtitle, but that might be clunky. If it's clearly broken out, the reader shouldn't have any trouble. Trust the reader -- a reader can follow a story if the writer lays out the plan.

What PennLady says. I'm doing this quite a bit in my current series, always making the POV clear in the very first sentence of a section (e.g. "Bob had never experienced such pleasure before"). Readers have reported no confusion.

Ha, yes, I forgot to say -- I do this in nearly all of my stories. I don't like to be stuck, mostly, with just one character. I mean, it depends on the story, but sometimes I like to have two (or more) sides of the story, and I often find it easiest and/or best to do that with different POVs.

As sr7 said, you can just switch from one to the other as needed, but it gets tricky. It's more fun and easier to give the characters their own sections as suggested. That way you can also title each with the character's name, to make sure the reader knows whose POV they're reading. Like:

John

I got home from work to find Susan naked in bed... (Go on for several paragraphs or pages)...

Susan

I was naked in bed when John walked through the door....

As sr7 said, you can just switch from one to the other as needed, but it gets tricky. It's more fun and easier to give the characters their own sections as suggested. That way you can also title each with the character's name, to make sure the reader knows whose POV they're reading. Like:

John

I got home from work to find Susan naked in bed... (Go on for several paragraphs or pages)...

Susan

I was naked in bed when John walked through the door....

Why stop there? ;)

Dave

I barely managed to slip under the bed before John appeared in the doorway. I fought hard to be a quiet as possible - John was a big guy and well known for his explosive temper...

Luci

Oh great! First she asked me to hide in this closet while she finished off her lover and now friggin hubby came home too. Fuck! I'll probably be stuck in here for another hour at least, and my back is beginning to hurt. Maybe I should just bust out and force her to admit to her bisexuality and our affair...

Harold

This telescope is the best investment I ever made. Who could have known that I had such kinky neighbors. And there is no denying that Susan is seriously hot. I wonder if she knows how many times we have had sex in my fantasies? Come to think of it, maybe I should record some of this and do a little black-mail? Why settle for a fantasy, if you can get your hands on - and your dick in - the real thing...

Nicole

As I prepared my murder-kit I steeled my resolve. Tonight was the night I was going to get rid of my sister for good. And with Susan out of our lives, John would finally be mine and ONLY mine. I would move into the house, adopt the kids and the best wife he could possibly want. We were going to be SO happy together. But first I had to deal with Susan... Susan who always had it all.... Susan who always was spoiled be everybody...Susan aka miss perfect.... I FUCKING HATE HER! DIE DIE AND TRIPLE DIE YOU INSUFFERABLE BITCH! ARRRRGH!
Oh yeah - tonight was the night...

Sharon

The house was empty when I got home, as I knew it would be. Dave had already texted me that he was going to be late from work and wouldn't be home for dinner. Nothing unusual there. It goes without saying that he was with "her" of course - Susan Wood - and if I wanted the details they would probably be in the next report from the private investigator. But I frankly didn't care anymore. My lawyer told me to collect as much evidence of adultery as possible in order to lubricate the negotiation process regarding division of assets, and that was what I was doing. As far as I was concerned Dave was already history.

Yuki

I arrived at The Rowdy Rug Muncher and stepped into a glittery world of flashing lights and loud music. But I was not in a partying mood. Instead I fended off the various greetings and "Where is Luci?"-inquiries and headed straight for the bar. As I sipped my Pink Lady I mumbled a curse. Why was Luci so infatuated with that bitch Susan? What did she have that I don't? I'm the same age as Susan. I stay in shape. My tits are perky and I have a nice ass, if I do say so myself. Would it help if I had some of the butch girls rough the skank up a bit? Now that's an idea. I love you so much Luci. I need you back in my bed sooo bad.

Special Agent Mueller

It was a chilly evening. One of those that was bound to turn into a cold night. Not the kind of night you would pick for a stake-out, but as a man of the law you rarely got to pick and choose. It was almost an hour since the subject had entered his house and I figured that he was home for the night. Time to review the files. "John Wood - male - 39 years of age - born in Boulder Colorado - married for fifteen years to Susan Wood nee Andersson - owner of an art gallery in Brown Street...". Pretty mundane stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary. I couldn't help wondering how an ordinary guy like that had managed to get himself involved with the Mexican drug cartels, but when it came down to it, it was none of my business. As a man of the law you do what your duty requires.

Pedro Garcia

Could I trust this John-guy to carry out his part of the deal? That was the big question, wasn't it? A million American dollars is not chump change and the gringo bastard could definitely use the money. That slutty wife of his had made sure that the poor idiots finances were in tatters. In fact, I should thank her for making her husband desperate enough to do business with me despite the risk. Hah! Maybe I would get to try that pussy myself, in case John should decide to double cross me. Nothing can bring a treacherous flunky back in the fold like a little kidnapping... and if that didn't work out I could always sell her and recap some of my loss.

Fido

Slobber. Pant. Drool. Woof?

Here's how I handled it in my novel Walker Brigade...

2.26.0093/5

* * * Becky Latham

Damn, this place was huge, I was having a hard time finding the squad bay to which I was assigned - First Squad, Second Platoon, Easy Company, First Battalion of the Sixty-Forth Armored Brigade of the Third Mechanized Infantry Division of the First Stellar Army Corp, 64AR/3MD/ICorp. The directions I had been given were next to useless. I finally found it, but not where the map said it was. When I entered, the bay there was no one around. I tossed my gear in my quarters and then headed for the walker bay to find everyone. No one home, the walkers were parked in their cradles. They were fantastic looking.

Walkers are my passion. They are the most beautiful machines ever created by man; a machine that a human can climb into, and without a thought, control. Get in and walk, simple elegance. I hurried to my machine to check her over. The diagnostics said she was nominal, but I detected a slight hum in the biofeedback servos on the right leg.

I opened the panel, checked the servo and found a burr on the offside phalange. Rummaging around the tool cabinet, I found some fine grit, emery paper. I lightly burnished the phalange with the paper and smoothed it down, reducing the hum to nothing. I buttoned up the panel and powered down the walker. Then I checked every walker in the bay. Two of them would need parts replaced to get them working again.

I looked up and saw there was a light on in the Squad bay lounge. I better go see if the Chief had returned and report. I wiped my hands on a rag and headed for the Squad bay. The Chief was highly thought of in the Walker Brigade. I’d read his file and was anxious to meet him, and proud to be serving with him. Plus, he wasn't all that bad looking. Damn it Becky knock it off, I thought.

* * * Max Jones

"Squad Second Becky Latham reporting for duty, Chief." She stood in front of me with her orders extended for me to take. I really didn't look at her as I took her orders, just kept reading the prior days reports.

"You all squared away, Sec?" I asked, not really caring one way or the other if she was.

"Yes Chief."

"Good. We ship out in five days, will you be ready?" She had better say yes, or she was out of here.

"Of course, Chief," she said, with such conviction it caused me to look up at her for the first time. I almost fell over backward in my chair; she was perhaps the most beautiful trooper I had ever seen. She looked like she belonged on a magazine cover.

"Anything else?" I croaked out, almost dropping my cigar on the front of my uniform.

"Yes Chief. I noticed that two of the walkers have been down checked for faulty feedback solenoids and I'd like to get them squared away before we depart."

"Well, take care of it then." I had just completed the paper work on them but now I'd wait and see what she had to say about them.

"Yes Chief." She turned and walked away. I almost fell over backward again, as I watched her cute little ass swaying as she walked. Not the time or place Chief, not at all, I thought.

"Damn," I muttered under my breath. Just what I need right now, a damn beauty queen turned soldier.

It was told from each of the characters view.

Last edited:
Doggish is a very compact language y'know. Often a single woof says it all. :)

Cattish is even more succinct. A few vocalizations; a repertoire of minimal gestures. And don't get me started on turtlish. My cousin's desert tortoise communicated quite well with only eye-blinks.

I did something similar, for a different reason. The story is narrated third person overall, but for a particular extended flashback I had two of the characters that had played a part both narrate it first person. (In-story they are both relating the tale to a third character.) Honestly, if you are paying attention, you could figure out who is speaking when just from the context. But I wanted to make it easier than that, while not being obnoxious about it.

When I wrote it up in a word processor, I indented the paragraphs representing one character's narration to the left, and the other character's from the right. This of course doesn't work well on websites where such formatting options are not available.

Another thing about websites, they tend to obey the html rule of an extra line break between all paragraphs. Whereas novels in print use an extra line break like that as a scene break, normal paragraph breaks within a scene don't have that extra white space in there. So for the web, you have to throw in something else to denote a scene break, like a line with a few dashes or asteriskes.

So what I did in the end was make up some special scene break marks to denote the start and end of each separate flashback narration. You can see this in action at:
http://www.literotica.com/s/interview-with-tentacle-demon-ch-05
http://www.literotica.com/s/interview-with-tentacle-demon-ch-06
(Or start from the beginning at
http://www.literotica.com/s/interview-with-tentacle-demon-ch-01 )

All that being said, something like this may not be the best method for you, but it's an example of one way to be creative about it.

One other thing for you to think about, I'm not sure if you intend the back and forth narration to follow events linearly or for them to both describe the same events in turn. Personally I find stories that do the latter to be rather boring, having two first-person narrators describe the exact same scene gets redundant fast. Even though they have different feelings about things, all the narration of the actions that are occurring ends up being something you already just read. Unless you're doing a Rashomon gimmick, such things are better off done with a third person omniscient narrator. In my opinion.

Another thing about websites, they tend to obey the html rule of an extra line break between all paragraphs. Whereas novels in print use an extra line break like that as a scene break, normal paragraph breaks within a scene don't have that extra white space in there. So for the web, you have to throw in something else to denote a scene break, like a line with a few dashes or asteriskes.
That's right. Backlit screens differ from paper; their displays require different formatting. Blocky paragraphs that work on paper look awful on screen. If you NEED to show a book-like display, present an .RTF or .PDF or .DOC file. But sites like LIT require different visibility with HTML protocols.

One other thing for you to think about, I'm not sure if you intend the back and forth narration to follow events linearly or for them to both describe the same events in turn. Personally I find stories that do the latter to be rather boring, having two first-person narrators describe the exact same scene gets redundant fast. Even though they have different feelings about things, all the narration of the actions that are occurring ends up being something you already just read. Unless you're doing a Rashomon gimmick, such things are better off done with a third person omniscient narrator. In my opinion.
Some of my writing features serial narrators, one per chapter. I structure their 1st-person narratives to overlap but not duplicate much, just enough to carry context and continuity between chapters. (In my BLACK & WHITE & RED series, Rory tells ch.02, Isadora tells ch.02, and Vanessa will tell ch.03. I'm using the same tactic with my A TASTE OF INCEST: LEMONADE miniseries.) I've read retellings of the same story from different POVs and yes, that's usually tedious -- UNLESS the author pulls a Roshomon to highlight discrepancies and character flaws. That's hard to pull off in 3rd person.

That's right. Backlit screens differ from paper; their displays require different formatting. Blocky paragraphs that work on paper look awful on screen. If you NEED to show a book-like display, present an .RTF or .PDF or .DOC file. But sites like LIT require different visibility with HTML protocols.
Screen, paper, it's all the same to me. The guys who created HTML made certain choices and we have to abide by them. I can't write with two spaces between sentences on the web, oh well. PDF is ideal, yes, but if you have full access to you web page's code you can use CSS or other tricks to set up paragraphs that are indented and single-spaced between, as well as columns, different fonts, whatever you want really if it helps. On sites like Lit, yes, only simple formatting is available. I'm not particularly complaining about it, it is what it is. For most stories it's not an inconvenience at all.

Screen, paper, it's all the same to me. The guys who created HTML made certain choices and we have to abide by them. I can't write with two spaces between sentences on the web, oh well. PDF is ideal, yes, but if you have full access to you web page's code you can use CSS or other tricks to set up paragraphs that are indented and single-spaced between, as well as columns, different fonts, whatever you want really if it helps. On sites like Lit, yes, only simple formatting is available. I'm not particularly complaining about it, it is what it is. For most stories it's not an inconvenience at all.

It was only during the typewriter age--and only for typed copy--that you ever needed to put two spaces between sentences. Printing has never used two spaces (and didn't even in the typewriter era). It uses one space plus a sliver of leading. The computer can mimic this. The typewriter couldn't. So everyone who bemoans the custom not to put two spaces between sentences "anymore" is bemoaning something that only existed for a short time and only then because of the typewriter's limitations--and only ever existed for typed copy.

Back