Mail Order Treason (closed for raiguy)

Brett unloaded everything into the room had had set up for Taylor. Once everything was unloaded onto the bed, he sighed before making his way to find Taylor. It didn't take much for him to find her in the den. "Is everything okay?" he asked, before stepping back and waiting to see if anything would need to be changed.

He probably wouldn't change it, but he still wanted to make her feel like he was open to this. He checked his watch, before realizing they were still dressed up. "I forgot to do something one of the nicer foster mothers I had told me to do," he said, before gently leading Taylor back to the front door. He opened it, before pulling her out, only to pick her up and carry her across the threshold.

He smiled, before looking at her and then saying, "We can start dinner now if you'd like, or we can change, or we can do whatever you'd like."
 
"No, it's beautiful just the way it is," Taylor murmured as she stared out the window.

She was almost in a daze, entranced by the old charm of the house. It was more than she had ever hoped to have for herself. She giggled when Brett grabbed her gently, wondering what he was going to do. She laughed and threw her arms around his neck when he carried her over the threshold before setting her down again. She stayed close to him, enjoying him.

"I don't care what we do," she sighed softly. She was too happy to do anything but stand there with her arms around his waist.
 
Brett smiled, before walking with Taylor in his arms to her room. "Lets get changed, and then we can make dinner together. I've always enjoyed cooking, and maybe it's something we will enjoy doing together," he said, setting her down on the bed, before he headed to his room.

He slipped out of his suit, happy to be away from restrictive clothing. He threw on some MMA shorts and a t-shirt, before relaxing and sliding into some sandals. This was his typical house wear, and he figured Taylor may as well see it now.

He headed to the kitchen before pulling things out to make a quick dinner of waffles. He didn't know why, but something about waffles just sounded good right now. He loved to do breakfast for dinner, and something about this just said these waffles might be the best he ever ate.
 
Taylor was completely enamored with Brett, and everything about her new life. The old her seemed so far away and detached from the present. It was insane how much her life had changed in just 48 hours.

She sighed and started putting away all her new clothes. She was pleasantly surprised to find a walk in closet in her room and she quickly hung everything up. She also noticed that the salesgirl had included a sexy lace nightie with the rest of her undergarments. Taylor grinned and wondered if Brett would like it when he saw it. She hid it behind some other clothes with the intention of saving it for later. She absently pulled the bobby pins out of her hair and fluffed it before unzipping and sliding out of her dress.

She hung up her wedding dress and stood considering all the clothes in front of her. There wasn't much in the way of comfortable clothes but she did remember picking out a pair of black yoga pants so she flipped through the hangers until she found them.

They slid up and over her body easily and fit perfectly. She threw on a simple loose fitting knit tank, the mint color complimented her features perfectly.

It took her a minute to find her way back to the kitchen but when she did she found Brett mixing up waffles and heating up a waffle iron.

"Smells good," she took a seat across the island from him and leaned forward on her elbows watching him work.
 
Brett nodded to Taylor, before slowly pulling a waffle off of the iron. He served it up, before scratching his head. The numbers weren't adding up. Something about this account just didn't seem right. He sighed, before handing the plate to Taylor, along with the syrup. "What would you like to drink?" he asked, preoccupied as he looked back over the data sheets for the offshore accounts of his boss.

He poured the waffle mix onto the iron, before closing it as he reviewed the numbers. He suddenly looked a little closer before smiling. He had the son of a bitch now, and there was no way it could be seen coming when he decided to drop the bomb.

Brett deftly pulled the done waffle off the iron, before turning the iron off and sitting next to Taylor. He looked at her and smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, work called. Is everything good?" he asked, shaking his head and wanting this facade to end. He just had to wait until the right moment for it to end though.
 
"It's great," she said as she smiled back, "never had a guy cook for me before."

She took a drink of the ice water in front of her and noticed a slight change in his demeanor.

"Everything okay?" she asked before taking another bite.
 
Brett shook his head. "Just some numbers not adding up. I think I have it figured out now, and can go from here now. Just have to review it come Monday," he said, taking another bite of waffle.

"Is there anything you think you'll need, or do you want to run out and get some clothes that aren't from a boutique?" he asked, knowing that he needed to go out to grab some supplies as well, and this was the perfect opportunity to get the news out that he was married now.
 
Taylor thought for a minute or two before answering, "some flip flops would be nice and maybe pajamas. I don't have any shampoo or a toothbrush or anything like that either, it was all in my bag that got lost."

She pushed her plate away and drank the rest of her water before taking the plate to the sink and rinsing it off.

"Are you sure about the money? I mean, i've never had a lot, i'm used to it," her voice revealed her guilt over the spending spree earlier, "I just don't want you to feel like that's why i'm here. It's not actually, not at all."
 
Brett shrugged. "I won't spend it otherwise, so it is good to spend it on family, right? You're the only family I have now, so why not? Besides, I need some things when we go out, so it wouldn't be like you were going out just to go out. We can take my jeep, so we have a little more room for the shopping stuff," he said, before grabbing his keys.

"Are you ready to go, or do you need a minute?" he asked, before heading out to the garage. He left the door open, before opening Taylor's door, and then starting the jeep. He was compiling a list when she came out, trying to make sure he got everything, and figuring out where to go so that he could spread it around. Once he had it done, he folded it and put it in his pocket.
 
"I guess that's true," Taylor responded thoughtfully," Yeah let me go find some shoes or something."

She went to her room and rummaged through the boxes of shoes before finding the only pair of flats she had purchased. She slid out of her yoga pants and back into the tailored black pants she had worn on the plane and then into the shoes. It matched so she was satisfied. Taylor pulled her hair back into a ponytail and let a few wisps of hair frame her face. She had never been too terribly concerned about her appearance before but she had someone to make an impression on now. Might as well make it a good one.

She met him in the garage a couple of minutes later, ready to go. She hopped in the Jeep and wondered how many cars he owned and if he would let her drive one if she wanted to go somewhere by herself. Not that she did but she assumed in the future she would.

She was also wondering why he didn't ask her very many personal questions, maybe he was nervous. Taylor watched out the window while he drove, trying to get a feel for the neighborhood and the surrounding area. It was a beautiful day out.
 
Brett drove them to the local superstore. He pulled in, before smiling at Taylor. "Get what you want, from clothes to shoes, to toiletries, to whatever you need. Then meet me at checkout and we will pay for it and get everything taken care of," he said, before stepping out of the vehicle and heading towards the automotive section. He needed a battery, jumper cables, and a few others things from here, as well as more from two other stores.

He quickly got what he needed, paid for it, and then moved it to the jeep, before turning and heading back in. He stood by the checkout, reading a magazine as he waited for Taylor, not really concerned with what she got for clothing, or anything else for that matter.
 
Taylor was a little confused, Brett just walked off and left her there. Not that she couldn't take care of herself but it was like he didn't care at all whether or not she was there. She walked around getting her bearings for a minute before finding the health and beauty section. She picked up a basket and loaded it will all the essentials she needed. She mentally ticked things off her list; toothbrush, razor, shampoo, conditioner...what else? She realized she had no makeup of her own and figured she better get at least the basics. She picked out a few things but kept it simple. She didn't wear a lot of makeup but she figured foundation, mascara, and two shades of eye shadow was enough to get her started. She wondered if Brett even cared. His demeanor was different than it was at the airport.

Taylor resolved as she wandered towards the shoe department to give him the benefit of the doubt. He had bought a bride for a reason, maybe this was it. Maybe he was just emotionally distant? She sighed before picking out a pair of black flip flops in her size and then deciding she was done. She was getting very tired, the time change was likely messing with her internal clock so she headed for the checkout and found Brett reading a magazine. She snuck up on him and kissed his neck lightly and playfully.

"Ready," she teased.
 
Brett shivered slightly before turning to Taylor. He looked down and smiled slightly, before awkwardly kissing her cheek. He nodded, before taking her basket. "Did you find everything you needed, or do you need to grab other stuff?" he asked. He looked into the basket, seeing how much there was in it.

"If you want more, we can get more at the next store," he said, before walking to the checkout line to pay for everything. Once they were through that with Taylor's things, he took her hand as they walked back to the jeep. Brett opened Taylor's door, putting her things in the back seat, before driving to the hardware store.

"If you want to sit tight for just a few seconds, I'll be right back," he said, leaving the car running, before running in for some copper wire and chain. It didn't take him long to find it, and then he quickly returned to the jeep.

"Okay, now we are heading to another big store, but it's more of a work store. If you want to get jeans, or boots, or anything like that, I would suggest doing it here, as they have the best products, at least to me," he said, taking her hand and holding it gently.
 
"I'm okay, I think I have everything," she said brightly.

Taylor couldn't help but wear a goofy smile while he held her hand, it was so sweet.

She shook her head when he mentioned getting even more stuff. She had never spent so much money in her life over the course of a day and doubted she ever would again. She waited patiently while he got the next couple of things on his list. She wondered what it was for but decided she would ask when they got home.

Home. It was her home now too. She liked thinking of it like that.

She shrugged in indifference when they pulled up to the next superstore. It looked like a combination of outdoor gear, tools, and other "manly" things. Although she did notice a section that was geared towards women she couldn't think of anything she needed here either.

So she followed Brett around while he got his things. He didn't seem to mind, actually he didn't seem to notice her at all. He barely spoke to her until they got back out to the Jeep. Taylor was noticing a behavior pattern now.

"So what are you working on?" she asked out of genuine curiosity.
 
Brett got everything he needed with relative ease. He knew that Taylor was getting a little suspicious, and he also knew that he would have to tell her and be done with it if he wanted her to work with him. He sighed, before turning to her with a strained smile. "I'll tell you once we get home. It'll be easier to explain then," he said, before turning and putting the items he needed on the checkout counter.

Once he was rung up and everything was in bags, he walked out to the jeep, knowing that it was now time for him to reveal himself. The drive home was uneventful, in silence mostly, as he knew that Taylor could see the changes in him now. After pulling in and closing the garage, he quickly unloaded everything, including Taylor's purchases, before leading her inside. He clicked a switch on his keychain, locking the house down completely, and cutting off phone service.

"Follow me to the basement, and do not ask questions until I tell you to," he said, before turning away without another word, as he lead her down to the basement, and then into his secret room. He deposited his gear there, before turning to her. "I lied to you. I was an orphan, but I grew up doing things for the CIA. They burned me, but I came back and they ended up giving me a desk job. After doing research, I realized what they had done was to cover their tracks. Now I'm taking out everyone that was involved, and you're going to help," he said coldly. He stepped to his desk, before pulling his 1911 out and casually keeping it hidden from her view.
 
Taylor accepted his answer without question with a simple okay. They got to the Jeep and went home, Brett barely speaking to her again. She couldn't figure out if it was shyness or just coldness that was making him act this way.

In time, she was sure he would become more comfortable around her and open up to her. After all, he was the one who wanted a wife in the first place.

When they unloaded the bags onto the kitchen island and he grabbed her wrist to take her to the basement she had no idea what he was going to show her. It was weird but, whatever. Maybe he was building something in the basement.

I lied to you. I was an orphan, but I grew up doing things for the CIA. They burned me, but I came back and they ended up giving me a desk job. After doing research, I realized what they had done was to cover their tracks. Now I'm taking out everyone that was involved, and you're going to help.

Taylor giggled. He had a dry sense of humor, it was cute.

"You watch too much tv Brett," she smiled at him and turned to go back upstairs, shaking her head.
 
Brett shook his head, keeping his emotions in check. "If you don't want to believe me, fine. Here's all the proof you need to know," he said, pulling a video up, showing Taylor depositing her bag, and then the same bag coming up, with the dirty bomb showing up. "If I were to tell them that this was your bag, you'd be locked up for life, with the chance of lethal injection in serious contention," he said, looking at her.

Brett chuckled coldly. "Or, I could just kill you now, and find a drop site for your body. You have two choices as of now. You either work with me to bring these men down, or I kill you here and now, and find another way to complete this task. Either way it will get finished. It's up to you on whether or not you want to remain alive to see it, and possibly make out okay," he said, sitting down in front of her with his 1911 on his leg, his hand resting casually along the grip.
 
Taylor stopped dead in her tracks, her foot lightly resting on the bottom stair.

She turned slowly and watched the monitors he gestured to, her eyebrows pulled together in concern and her mouth became a thin line of tension. She realized he wasn't kidding. He was very serious. She looked at him, horrified.

"What did you do?" she was half accusing, half asking and she wasn't even sure she really wanted to know.

Her breathing picked up and she realized how angry she was at him. How could he?! He didn't even know her. And then it hit her, of course...he didn't know her. That's why this was a good plan for him. He could easily get away with it. She had half a mind to hit him but she saw his hand on the gun and the look on his face. He'd kill her before she even drew her fist back all the way.

She backed away from him, to the other side of the room, looking for a hiding place. She was in shock and she was angry.

"How could you do this..." her voice was quietly shaking in anger and the tears were threatening to spill down her alabaster cheeks.
 
Brett shrugged. "I do what needs to be done to get my task completed. That is how I have always lived. As long as I get to the end, the means are just the best possible way to do it. I did what I had to to ensure that I could proceed with everything. If you don't like it, just say so," he said, coldly.

He looked at her, before smiling tightly. "You were the best option to make sure the least amount of collateral damage took place. Maybe that will comfort you. Although, some days I wish I could kill my co-worker Stanley. He thinks cats dressed up as Lord of the Rings characters are precious," he said, shaking his head and waiting for her answer.

"Now, here's how things are going to work. You either go along with this, help me get this done, or I kill you here and now. I'm not one to leave things open for discussion, so you need to decide. Do you live and help me take out some bad men before they turn more people into men like me, or do I leave your cold body in a dumpster," he said, looking at her intensely.
 
Taylor lost it, she just started crying. This man she had so many hopes for just threatened to kill her, her husband. She covered her face and wouldn't look at him.

"You're a monster," she managed, in between sobs, "how could you ruin my life like this? I didn't DO anything to you!"

She grabbed a keyboard from the shelf next to her and threw it at him before ducking behind the shelves sobbing. She was crying uncontrollably now, so hurt and scared and hiding from her own husband, the monster. She sank to the floor and put her head between her knees, trying to breathe.
 
Brett followed after Taylor, letting the keyboard brush off his chest. He knew she was emotional, knew that she hated him, knew that she wanted him to die probably, but he needed to clear things up now. "You will have your life. You'll have a husband, whatever future you want, and anything else you could think of. You just have to help me with this. Then, once this is over, if you want to leave, you can. I won't hold you back, everything will be cleared and not traced to you, and you'll be free to go wherever you want," he said quietly, the look on his face letting her know he was being honest.

"I'm not a mean man. I'm a man that has been used and abused, and wants to set things right. Unfortunately, I have to become what I was made to do it. You can hate me, wish me dead, or anything else, but you will either work with me, or steps will have to be made. That's just the steps I have to take to ensure that this goes the way it has to go," he said, his voice flat and even, no emotion showing.

He walked back to his desk, letting her stay in the book cases. He knew that she wouldn't be able to get out of the room, as the door to the staircase closed and locked as soon as it was opened and someone walked through. There was a button you had to press to open it, to get out of the room he used as his operational headquarters.
 
Taylor only half listened to his diatribe, her mind was swimming. She had stopped crying but still had her head resting on her knees. She tried to control her breathing and calm down. She only had two options, stay with him and help him or he would kill her. If she ran he would bring the full weight of the FBI and Homeland Security down on her head, she wouldn't last a week on her own.

She seriously considered letting him just kill her now, but she remembered what he had said; he'd still give her the life she wanted. She sighed sadly. Figures this is what happens, she thought, I get stuck with a vigilante.

She could hear him working, typing and clicking on things as if she wasn't even there. She slowly and quietly got up and peeked around the edge of the shelf before stepping out to stand next to it.

"I'll do it," she said softly.
 
Brett nodded as he heard what Taylor said. He didn't want to have to use someone else, but knew this was the easiest way, and he truly did want to avoid collateral damage. He sighed, before turned to Taylor. "Good. Now come sit and we can go over what will be needed to be done. You won't be in danger, that I can assure you," he said calmly, pulling up a chair and waiting until she sat down before continuing.

"What we need to do is act like a loving couple. The easiest way to avoid collateral damage while taking this man down is to attend these social functions, and gain his trust. He plays golf every Sunday, and if I can get invited to play with him, we can find a way to separate him and gain the information needed. From there, I can start to tear down the organization that creates monsters, men like me," he said quietly. He knew what he was, but he knew that he had the skills to do this.

"The first social function will be in four month's time. Until then, anything you want or need, you just have to ask. If you want to start courses for a degree, we can start that, or if you want to do anything else, we can do that. We just have to appear like a loving couple to the world," he said, showing her the information on the man that they were going after.
 
Taylor tried to listen but the words washed over her without her really absorbing them.

"Fine, whatever," she said flatly and quietly.

She still didn't quite believe what was happening. She refused to sit next to him and stayed a couple of feet away, out of his reach, the thought of him touching her now made her sick.

She stood there with a blank look on her face for a few minutes more before turning for the stairs. She was tired, the time change was catching up to her. She was also still very upset about the entire situation.

"I'm going to bed," she told him. Taylor didn't care whether he was done explaining his grand plan or not, she just wanted to be away from him.
 
Brett just nodded. He knew she was pissed, but frankly, he didn't care. Either she helped him or she died. One way or another, he would get what he wanted. Where most men might want sex from her, or something else, he just wanted her help. What he needed might not have been the most lawful task, but at least it wasn't degrading to her, he thought to himself, before blowing out a breath.

He watched her go, before clicking the switch to let her out of the basement. "From now on, you might want to hang around to see how things work," he said tersely as she ascended the steps. He turned back to his computer, quickly falling into the information, hearing her moving around as she got ready for bed, yet still he didn't move. He didn't want to have her do anything more than he needed, so he needed to cover all the angles. He was worried about how much help she'd actually be, or if he had made a mistake in not killing her then and there.
 
Back
Top