Synonyms and euphemisms for clitoris?

Aurelius_PG

Experienced
Man, I feel like such an amateur! How come there are so many synonyms and euphemisms for penis and so few for clitoris?

Authors, help me. The characters in my story are lost for words. Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
I've used nub, button, bean, seed. Probably others, also, but those come to mind first.

I've used nub, button, bean, seed. Probably others, also, but those come to mind first.

One of my characters calls it her bud, which seems okay to me. I like that.

I figure the reader can't blame me if it's a character using a word. :)

I have always like cum button. Or happy switch. And...I dunno, pleasure circuit?

Man, I feel like such an amateur! How come there are so many synonyms and euphemisms for penis and so few for clitoris?

From THE BALD-HEADED HERMIT AND THE ARTICHOKE: An Erotic Thesaurus.

Clitoris
see Genitalia, Labia, Vagina

The precise etymological origin of this term is unclear. Greek words for hill, famous, and hidden have been suggested.

beetle's bonnet, bell, boy in the boat, budgie's tongue, button, clit, clitty, clown's hat, dat, dot, goal-keeper, jointess, joy buzzer, laborator natural, little man, little C, man in the boat, little ploughman, little shame tongue, love bud, love button, man in the boat, membrum muliebre, nuts, penis equivalent, penis fimineus, praline, prawn of pleasure, sensitive spot, spare tongue, slit, slit bit, sugared diamond, taste bud

Boy in the boat: a British term from the 1800 s, the boat being the vulva.

The Chinese poetically describe the clitoris as the jewel terrace.

I'm gonna try out penis equivalent, prawn of pleasure and sugar diamond and see how she does. I can only imagine multiple orgasms at joy buzzer and laborator natural...oh yeah.

I love etymology and when Hypoxia quoted that the derivation was uncertain, I headed to Google Translate for inspiration... and once you start you can't stop!

The vast majority of languages from Armenian to Zulu have the same word or root, even supposed isolates such as Hungarian and Basque. Alas, I could only read the roman scripts.

A few highlights:

Icelandic - itil
Javanese - itil (Same as Icelandic if google translate is to be believed!)
Malay - kelentit
Maori - eia i (is this onomatopoeic?)
Polish - łechtaczka (alone among Europeans in having a different word. Kudos!)
Somalian - kintirka
Swahili - kinembe
Tamil - பெண்குறிமூலம்
Urdu - (very concise!) ی
Vietnamese - âm hạch
Teluga - స్త్రీగుహ్యాంకురము
Yoruba - ido

I may have to introduce a Malaysian into the story so I can use kelentit :)

Last edited:
"erectile organ of female mammals," 1610s, coined in Modern Latin from Late Greek kleitoris, a diminutive, but the exact sense intended by the coiners is uncertain. Perhaps from Greek kleiein "to sheathe," also "to shut," in reference to its being covered by the labia minora. The related Greek noun form kleis has a second meaning of "a key, a latch or hook (to close a door);"

Prof Mateo Colombo, 16th Century at Padua, claimed to have discovered the clitoris. Hadn't we girls done that centuries earlier?. He called it 'Amor Veneris, vel dulcedo' - the love or sweetness of Venus.

Athalia uses "the pearl" in some of her stories.

Or "bud."

As for why there are so few words, I think it's because men can go their whole lives without knowing that the clitoris exists (and, apparently, did right up until the sixteenth century).

On the other hand, a man's penis is pretty much out there for all to see. Hard to miss, you know. But its importance to the guy, and a need to generate euphemisms for it so as not to shock the faint of heart, probably were the reasons for all those synonyms.

Cool! If ever I have sex with a Tamil girl and she keeps yelling "பெண்குறிமூலம்!", I now know what I'm doing wrong.

And they say that you can't get smarter by reading erotica... :rolleyes:

I love etymology and when Hypoxia quoted that the derivation was uncertain, I headed to Google Translate for inspiration... and once you start you can't stop!

The vast majority of languages from Armenian to Zulu have the same word or root, even supposed isolates such as Hungarian and Basque. Alas, I could only read the roman scripts.

A few highlights:

Icelandic - itil
Javanese - itil (Same as Icelandic if google translate is to be believed!)
Malay - kelentit
Maori - eia i (is this onomatopoeic?)
Polish - łechtaczka (alone among Europeans in having a different word. Kudos!)
Somalian - kintirka
Swahili - kinembe
Tamil - பெண்குறிமூலம்
Urdu - (very concise!) ی
Vietnamese - âm hạch
Teluga - స్త్రీగుహ్యాంకురము
Yoruba - ido

I may have to introduce a Malaysian into the story so I can use kelentit :)

Its funny, i dont find the word 'kelentit' dirty. How do you plan you use that word exactly?

Flanders & Swann did a very funny thing translating something highly suggestive into Tongan.
Try the Philological Waltz:-

Oh, it's hard to say:
'Hoolima Kittiluca Cheecheechee'
But in Tonga that means:
No
If I ever have the money
Is to Tonga I shall go
For each lovely Tongan maiden there
Will gladly make a date
And by the time she's said
'Hoolima Kittiluca Cheecheechee'
It is usaully too late!