Editors Timeframe

Joined
Sep 16, 2011
Posts
2
How long should it take to hear from a volunteer editor after you submit a piece? This is my first submission and I have no idea. It's been a few weeks and I have emailed (politely) and got no response. Also sent an email to editors@literotica.com and no response from them.

Not in a hurry and I don't want to be pushy. Just curious if there is a approximate time frame for editing.

Thanks,

oldwoodbutcher
 
It would depend on what you and the editor set up. And if you didn't, you should have, which I think is something few think to do ahead of time. But you'll know for next time.

I doubt the editors email you mentioned works/gets checked. None of the email addresses here seem to. I'd try perhaps one more time with the editor you have, and if no response, just chalk it up to experience and try to find another one. And for that I'd advise the Editor's Forum. Check the "Available Editors" sticky at the top, and/or post a request.
 
Depending on how long the piece is, two weeks not hearing anything back is too long. If you ask for a status report from an editor and don't hear back within two days--unless there's a holiday going or the editor has already told you he/she would be off line for some reason--you have someone who doesn't communicate. Real editors understand the need for good communication. I suggest just breaking off and trying to find someone else.
 
It has been about 6 weeks since I submitted. I have sent a couple emails since asking about how long they thought it might be. So far I have received no communications since I submitted. I guess I'll have to try another editor. BTW -- I did get the first editor from the current 'available editors list'

oldwoodbutcher
 
I can only repeat that you don't really have an editor for the piece. You need to move on to plan B.

Incidentally, whenever I send anything, I include a request for an e-mail right back that they've received it. I can't count the number of times that an author or publisher thought they'd sent something to me to edit and I never received it.

The relationship requires frequent checks back and forth even if the edit hasn't been finished.

For the protection of other writers, I think it would be a good idea when nonresponding editors are encountered to name them here.
 
Hello

Hello, I am new to the volunteer editor program, but I seem to be having the same problem. Though I have not been waiting for 6 weeks only 1 week. I have sent a follow up email just to check in and see if they had received my book and what the time frame was on a response, but I have not received a response either. I don't want to seem pushy especially that they are doing this as volunteers but I think I will follow sr71plt suggestion and just find another editor and state the name of the editor. I feel like I am rating someone out though.
My editor is Aimii, I hope all it is is that they are to busy.
Anyway, I will take a look a the available editors list and hope I found someone willing to read my book. Thank you for the advice.

***Update***
My editor Aimii finally responded. They were swamped with work and apologized. So we will move forward. Hopefully it works well. Thank you to AsylumSeeker for being the only one to respond to my request for another editor. :D
 
Last edited:
Text deleted and reminder added by mod: The Editor’s Forum is for authors and editors to discuss issues related to editing stories. People are forgetting this. It's not a place for personal arguments, attacks, or discussions not related to editing stories.


On a different note I email my writers with updates every couple of days with my progress. I believe in being respectful of the writers I choose to edit for.

Just saying. PM me if you're pissed off at the process. I'll do what I can do.
Back to normal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top