Who was the first famous person you ever met?

Michael Jordan.

I met him at a Bulls game during their golden years. My Dad introduced me to him. I was 10. I thought he was tall. :)
 
Harry Secombe, apparently.
I don't remember, but as a toddler I adopted him as my "playground" while we were waiting for a flight at Heathrow. He was apparently absolutely charming about me pestering him for a couple of hours or so.
The first "celebrity" that I remember meeting was Genesis P-Orridge. I'm pretty sure I've written about that here before, so I won't bore you with the details.
 
Joe Redington, Dick Mackey, Libby Riddles, and Susan Butcher are some of the more famous Iditarod mushers I've met. I've had coffee with Joe Delia (Iditarod super volunteer and all round super guy) in his place at Skwentna. Herbie Nayokpuk was the absolute coolest Iditarod musher, and I met him at his house in Shishmaref when I was up that way working. I also met Steve Kanaly (Ray on Dallas) in Shishmaref. He was being filmed trying to get polar bear photos. He was a bit overdressed for the weather and laughed at us when we suggested getting some ice cream from the village store.
 
...

I could go on, but by 'meet' I mean at least exchanged a few words in conversation, not just seeing.
 
Last edited:
I met Howard S. Liebengood when he was Sergeant at Arms of the Senate. That's about all I've got or am willing to acknowledge.
 
I do not remember much about it mainly because we were raised up with the notion that people were people.

Charles Wilson when he was a young man not sure he was a congressman yet.

My mom and dad knew him and his family growing up.

Governor John Connally.


And I worked for some Senator piling and burning brush on summer as a young Teenager.

I sure there was some other people but I don't really pay them much mind.

Oh, I ate in a Hardy's at a table next to the Dixe Chicks back in '87 I saw their van outside but I had no clue who they were.

You could have just answered, "No one."
 
If we're talking people you yanks may know, probably Peter Stormare.

Ma worked at the theatre when I was a wee laddie.
 
Denny

Most I've forgotten

At Daytona Bike events we met all of the Orange County choppers. Only Mikey actually talked to us. The other money grubbing bunch only said hi if you bought one of their over priced shirts or other junk.

Our favorite Indian Larry. Dollie even got to sit on his new custom Indian bike. Indian Larry was just a regular biker among the others. That may have been his last Daytona trip.

Jesse James when he was still famous (The biker, not the outlaw, altho we did see his hideout cave.)

Von Dutch and several other hot rod pin stripers and painters.

I even got to say hi to George Barris at a car event. Daytona is sometimes like Southern Califronia, always a chance to see someone rich and famous.

Years ago we sort of met Hugh Hefner. He was walking toward us, waved, then someone else called him away.

At an old car salesroom In St Pete, Fl. met Hulk Hogan at the time he was buying a Dodge convertible.

When at Indiana's famous nudist resort and porn star contests we met Hustler owner and several of the girls then famous. Again at some Daytona area events we met more porn centerfold girls who's names I forgot.

Ocala, Florida has Silver Springs amusement park with a stage. We'd see one or two country/western singers or rock and roll singers there for years.
Most names are long forgotten because we really don't get into singers and movie stars.

One of Dollie's favorites we met when she was very young at an RV park owned by her relatives, Dolly Parton. Wife Dollie was partially the blame for Dolly wearing low cut tops. Remember, back in the Ed Sullivan days and Grand Ole Oprey events Dolly dressed like the songs she sang, religious.
We met her soon after Silver Dollar City II became Dollywood. After that mostly look alikes were there.

We also met a lot of stars at St Augustine and Key West wax museums.:rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
The OP asked about the FIRST (in)famous humanoid we met -- but the thread seems to be expanding to later meets.

I'm old and extroverted enough to have spent time with many politicians and their families, famous musicians and other cultural icons, military and police leaders, famed computer folks, noted fugitives, et fucking cetera.

I won't name-drop, having no need of such narcissistic self-gratification. [/me scratches a few names off the list] Especially not them.
 
I met the sitting state governor when I was 10. I've since met most of the governors since then, up through the current sitting US senators. Except one - dick that he is.


I met an NFL quarterback when I was 15.


I ran into Randy White in a bar 27 years ago. Yeah, the big one. That one was somebody I actually got to hang and chat with - about everything but football.


So, yeah . . . nobody . . . .
 
yeah, pro football players don't seem to like talking about football with laymen. i learned that when i lived in south carolina and i knew a cop who was briefly a pro. we weren't friends.
 
I have been lucky enough to meet a few footballers (but didn't know who they were until I was told after), cricketers, authors etc

However, the most significant famous person that I met was Damon Hill a few years ago.
 
I'm pretty sure a lot of these 'meetings' took place only in the posters' minds.
 
I was at school with Noel and Liam Gallagher. Noel was in my year. Did glue with Noel.
 
Larry Byrd came to my high school to give a pep talk, and shot a round with the girl's team and about 5 rounds with the boys.
 
I met an NFL quarterback when I was 15.

When I got out of active duty, I joined the Army Reserves (hey, I needed the money). One weekend a month in Fort Benning, GA. We got a new company commander, a captain who had been to West Point and made sure we knew that important fact. He was pointing to his class ring and said something along the lines of "This is the most coveted ring in the world".....

My squad leader was a massive tough son of a bitch, an Alabaman named SSG Wright. He interrupted the captain (!!!), saying "beg pardon, SIR, THIS is the most coveted ring in the world..."

1967 Green Bay Packers NFL Superbowl Ring.
Three big one carat diamonds in the shape of a football.
Biggest fucking ring I've ever seen.
 
When I got out of active duty, I joined the Army Reserves (hey, I needed the money). One weekend a month in Fort Benning, GA. We got a new company commander, a captain who had been to West Point and made sure we knew that important fact. He was pointing to his class ring and said something along the lines of "This is the most coveted ring in the world".....

My squad leader was a massive tough son of a bitch, an Alabaman named SSG Wright. He interrupted the captain (!!!), saying "beg pardon, SIR, THIS is the most coveted ring in the world..."

1967 Green Bay Packers NFL Superbowl Ring.
Three big one carat diamonds in the shape of a football.
Biggest fucking ring I've ever seen.
Kewl story.

"One ring to bind us all..." yeah sure.
 
The first famous person I met was Louie Bellson. I was 14 or 15 I think. I've met some great and know people in music, but not necessarily know, unless you read liner notes.

My most famous client was one evening with Kenny Rogers.
 
Several baseball players after the games when I was a kid getting autographs.
Shook hands with Frankie Laine after one of his concerts. Knew a couple of people related to a couple of people. :rolleyes:

But actually spend any time with anyone famous? Nope.
 
I always imagined that living in L.A. must suck for women.

So many drop - dead gorgeous women coming from all over the country, and narcissistic men who objectify women…

Honestly, it's not that bad. There are tons of normal folk that don't figure into the spotlight.
 
Back
Top