Green thumbs and dirty fingers.

Kalamain

Unapologetic Complimenter
Hey folks.

I have long been fascinated by nature in general and horticulture specifically. I love plants and flowers and the myriad colours and shapes that you can find.

In this thread I will be posting any plants I come across and like the look of and I welcome you to do the same. I may also put in some hints and tips as they come to me that I have picked up about gardening. If you have a helpful hint that I would love for you to post that too, or just a nice quote.

If you have a question... I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I have a fairly good google-fu and may be able to help! With luck others may stick their heads in and have better info.

The greatest thing about gardening is that you are always learning and there is always a new plant to see and enjoy!

Thank you for reading. And I hope you all enjoy your gardens and nature in general!

--EDIT!--
In this thread i may put in specific plants that work well in themes. If I do I will link the post here.

Plants that are good for shade or partial shade

Ideas for borders

Indoor plants

To start off....
My Favourite plant. Eryngium planum "Blue Glitter". (Also known as Seaholly)

ERLBG01.jpg

Last edited:
Crassula.
A family of succulents with an amazing array of shapes.

This one is Crassula 'Estagnol'
CrassulaEstagnolTop.jpg

This is Crassula 'Buddha's Temple'
Crassula_budda's_temple_810.jpg

A side step from the succulents to the Cacti.

A tiny globular cacti Discocactus zehntneri "boomianus"
d_zehntneri_c_600.jpg

wow! those are really interesting! One of my favorite flowers is also one of the simplest: calla lily.

When dealing with weeds a couple of things.

First off, can I dig it out?
This should always be your first thought. Be aware that you really also need to bring up the roots along with the plant... Don't just pull the visible bit and call it a day!

Boiling water.
If its on a path or on a stony area where are not worried about splash.
simply slowly and steadily pour a generous amount of water onto the plants where the stem meets the ground.

War of attrition.
How the tops off matted areas. As it grows back hoe that too. In time the plant will give up the ghost and die.

Herbicide.
In the end sometimes you will just have to break out the chemicals.
This should really be a last resort.
Please also take the time to real the label PROPERLY and choose the RIGHT conditions to deal with your weeds. Also wear gloves and wash your hands!

Happy Gardening!

wow! those are really interesting! One of my favorite flowers is also one of the simplest: calla lily.

Hiya.

My mum has a pinkish Calla lily that she thought was a Canna lily for ages!
She was always complaining that it never grew very high!

Callas are very nice plants.

Most people will know a rose when they see one...

But not everyone likes the same kind of rose.

My favourites are the old roses. Damask for fragrance and Gallicas for display.

My ultimate fave rose? Petite lisette

00bd60960f3898dda52ee26d9a7034c9.jpg

Can you give me some random reasons why my mint plant might be dying when all around it the herbs are flourishing?

Is your dog targeting it? - just think about that next time you whip up a Thai salad :D

Can you give me some random reasons why my mint plant might be dying when all around it the herbs are flourishing?

Is there any discolouring of the leaves or is it simply wilting?

Is the plant in full sun or shade?

You are running into spring/summer now?... Its possible that the mint is simply too hot.
If its in the sun try moving either indoors or into a shady spot with little or no direct sunlight.

Also... It could be mint rust fungus

Further reading..... This

If thats the case it may be worth digging the plant up and starting afresh.
Note that the soil MAY be contaminated so avoid replanting in the same place.

Hope this helps!

It sounds like it might be root bound. Mint root systems need room to spread out. Is it in a pot or confined space? How dense are the plants around it?

Minty fresh

Mint will definitely spread. Their root systems are very aggressive, which is why you got the advice that you did. However, in a smallish pot the roots will fill up the pot to the point that the soil can't hold water or nutrients. Try a bigger pot.

ETA you may also need to periodically re-pot it and cut away some of the root mass. If you have friends who want their own mint, give them the roots instead of throwing them away.

Last edited:
My favourite plant...

....is the Cycad Palm.
These things were here when dinosours roamed.
This is the first Cycad flower I have ever seen.

Cotinus coggygria "purple Smoke bush"

Pretty just for its rich purple foliage. But when the flowers fade it really shows its namesake off!

smoke-bush-royal-puple.gif

If purple isn't your colour look out for the cultivar ‘Golden Spirit’

Mints main problem is its aggressive growth.

That said it has other problems, all of them shared by other plant species.

What I do is assess with what I call my BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER TOOL. That is, I look for common problems and exceptions. If mint has the same problem as your azalea that's your villain (likely).

If one specimen has the problem and its companions do not the problem is likely an animal. A deer got in my cabbages and devoured one cabbage head.

I've let the mint loose, to see what happens. :eek:

I'm a brown thumb, I kill everything so it's a miracle to me everything else is thriving!

Be warned that mint is a rampant plant.

It *will* spread

Hey folks.

I have long been fascinated by nature in general and horticulture specifically. I love plants and flowers and the myriad colours and shapes that you can find.

In this thread I will be posting any plants I come across and like the look of and I welcome you to do the same. I may also put in some hints and tips as they come to me that I have picked up about gardening. If you have a helpful hint that I would love for you to post that too, or just a nice quote.

If you have a question... I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I have a fairly good google-fu and may be able to help! With luck others may stick their heads in and have better info.

The greatest thing about gardening is that you are always learning and there is always a new plant to see and enjoy!

Thank you for reading. And I hope you all enjoy your gardens and nature in general!

To start off....
My Favourite plant. Eryngium planum "Blue Glitter". (Also known as Seaholly)

ERLBG01.jpg

I want to get those for my backyard.

Ceanothus

A wonderful hardy, evergreen shrub. These are Ceanothus impressus 'Puget Blue'
This is the one I have in my garden. Bees love this plant.

Ceanothus%20'Puget%20Blue'%20~wide%20horz.jpg

0003374.jpg

Many people know about the Bottle brush plant. But did you know there is a white variant too?

Callistemon pallidus (Melaleuca pallida) or Lemon Bottlebrush

Callistemon%20pallidus_jpg.jpg

Many people know about the Bottle brush plant. But did you know there is a white variant too?

yep. :rolleyes:

one day I want to have one planted outside my girls' bedroom window, just like I had a red one outside my bedroom window when I was a girl. :) and my handprints in cement in the ground next to it. it was "my" tree--er, bush, sorry. *giggle*

All of these beautiful pictures are making me long for Spring. I should live in a meadow...

Cestrum Nocturnum - "Lady of the Night"

This is the night scented Jasmine.

dcd27d3cce844345b967ca4188102ac5.jpg

e694708593cb698e1b98b48afecbce33.jpg

All of these beautiful pictures are making me long for Spring. I should live in a meadow...

I don't know about where you are but here in the UK I am already starting to see the early signs!

Muscari and Daffies are starting to push.
My Aquilegia is just starting to unfurl new leaf bundles.

I hope we don't get a cold snap or its going to be a wreck! :(

Back