the "ask chemgirljaime a question" thread

Chemgirljaime, what three fruits and brand of vodka would you use to put in your blender for an ultimate summertime alcoholic smoothie?

Ok, boring question....
Why is water the only substance that expands as it cools and changes to ice?

Note: I have asked this question many times but have yet to receive an answer that makes sense.

2nd note: I have no wish to make out.

it's because of the structure of water ... water is made up of 2 hydrogen molecules and 1 oxygen molecules .. the hydrogen is + charged and the oxygen is - charged... so two water molecules are attracted to each other because of that opposite charge. This is called hydrogen bonding... it's because of this bonding which makes up the unique crystalline structure of ice.

Chemgirljaime, what three fruits and brand of vodka would you use to put in your blender for an ultimate summertime alcoholic smoothie?

three fruits, eh?

uhm.. since it's summer, I'm going tropical.

pineapple
strawberry
orange

and brand of vodka? I'm not super familiar with vodka but for THIS drink I'd have to go with Abosolut Tropics

Chemgirl,

A friend of mine always provides an answer to a question, although sometimes it is with what he calls 'near facts.' Do you do this as well?

Chemgirl,

A friend of mine always provides an answer to a question, although sometimes it is with what he calls 'near facts.' Do you do this as well?

for the most part I try to be as accurate as possible... sometimes though my answers are just going to be for fun.

Chemgirl,

My GF is making beef bourguignon for dinner tonight. Can you recommend a good wine?

it's because of the structure of water ... water is made up of 2 hydrogen molecules and 1 oxygen molecules .. the hydrogen is + charged and the oxygen is - charged... so two water molecules are attracted to each other because of that opposite charge. This is called hydrogen bonding... it's because of this bonding which makes up the unique crystalline structure of ice.

What of Gallium, Bismuth, Antimony, Germanium and Acetic Acid? Aren't the solid phases of these less dense than the liquid phases?

Chemgirl,

My GF is making beef bourguignon for dinner tonight. Can you recommend a good wine?

I'd go with Pinot Noir... but you could also try a Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot

What of Gallium, Bismuth, Antimony, Germanium and Acetic Acid? Aren't the solid phases of these less dense than the liquid phases?

Gallium, Bismuth and Germanium are in fact less dense in the solid phase than the liquid phase... but Antimony and Acetic Acid are not.

Oh, fuck.

Shit's on now...

this is not a question.. ;)

Gallium, Bismuth and Germanium are in fact less dense in the solid phase than the liquid phase... but Antimony and Acetic Acid are not.

The CRC Handbook is more than 6 steps away. Could you check antimony one more time?

I saw that link... I'm trying to find a scientific journal that backs it up.

I'd assign you a paper, but it's a waste of effort do stuff that's already done. You might look up the solid density at the phase change temperature. I'm certain it's different than at room temp which is most commonly reported.

I'd assign you a paper, but it's a waste of effort do stuff that's already done. You might look up the solid density at the phase change temperature. I'm certain it's different than at room temp which is most commonly reported.

journal article searching can be SOOO frustrating... lol

because I'm not feeling well, I'm going to just leave this up to chembook.. and trust that Sb IS less dense as a solid than a liquid.

How do I turn lead into gold?

I would imagine you would have to get a chemistry degree and then spend years, upon years, upon years, upon YEARS working for someone else until you get the time/money to work on your own project.

Back