Conversations with other artists

My favorite illustration tools:

A simple mechanical pencil. If I am drawing for a long time, a fatter barrel and squishy grip. A smudge stick or two.

A uniball roller ball pen, micro or medium, depending.

A tray of relatively inexpensive dry watercolors with one or two fav brushes, which are tapered and somewhat small.

A gazillion water soluble colored pencils, so that I take ten minutes to find the color I am looking for, which has rolled under the keyboard.

substrates:
copier paper for most pencil drawings and ink drawings, though sometimes in a sketchbook.

water color paper or board or bristol paper or board.


MUCH less frequently, I'll use acrylics.
 
I have a fishing tackle box filled with drawing tools I haven't used in years. I have mechanical pencils but I prefer wooden pencils. generally I prefer HB, B, F for the most part though I have every grade from 9B to 9H. I have some mechanical pencils (7mm and 9mm - 5mm snap too often) but I prefer not to use them. It's too dang hard loading those teeny tiny leads into the mechanical pencils. If you haven't used them in a while, then you have to guess which lead you loaded last...

I like using conte crayons but prefer to use them only on certain paper (I forget the name).

I love calligraphy so I have plenty of edges and style of nibs for that. Having ink that doesn't dry out that quickly is harder.

Lots of markers of black and white (white is really an acrylic pen but it's called a marker).

I have a nice assortment of colored pencils but rarely used them. I am more inclined to use acrylics if I want to go towards color.

I used to have a canon powershot p-something or other, but the liquid crystal display cracked.

I have a canon LiDE200 scanner. rarely gets used likewise.

My pride and joy is a 3 foot long piece of stainless steel for a straight edge. In a moment of dark humor, I called it "the Vic" in memory of Victor Morrow (died in an accident while shooting a helicopter scene - He (and two other actors) got hit by a helicopter blade).

I keep trying to talk myself into buying a tablet but it's just another electronic "toy" until I can see a profit out of using one.
 
If you are going to do any digital work (either on photos downloaded — or is that UPloaded, drawings/paintings/sketches scanned or direct imaging) A tablet is the way to go. A mouse or track-pad cannot take advantage of all the tools available.

Nearly everything I do gets into the computer at some point, as that is how they get reproduced, and shared...other than a FEW originals shown in shows and/or sold.


That being said — those who can and have used traditional tools will have some advantage over those who do not have that experience. I am sure you are well aware of that.:)
 
I have all kinds of experience with traditional tools, not so much with digital. Then again, I DID have an ass kicking computer that I built that could do all kinds of digital work. Then several years ago, the thing melted down and I am left with what I am using which is not graphic in any way, shape or form.

I suspect that I got hacked as I had downloaded a hacked program. Something I normally never would do, but it was the only way to interact with an online program.
Let me step back for a second. The hacked program was a program someone wrote in their basement therefore, I suspect, it was hacked. It worked as a bridge between one non-hacked graphic program and the online program. There were no other bridge programs (likewise you couldn't buy one).

The hacked program was offered freely as shareware. The original program writer had left long ago, which made me feel uneasy about it's distribution. I spoke more honestly about things, as I am want to do, than some people were willing to accept. After about a year of using the programs/whole setup thus, my graphic computer which was not overclocked, never experienced a moment of overheating, had a system-wide meltdown.

Thereby I believe I was hacked. My own fault, I never should have trusted a hacked program. Expensive lesson learned; never, ever, ever trust a hacker. If I get enough scratch up (about $3-4,000) I'll build a better graphic computer that will not have any possibility of meltdown.

At that time, I'll consider getting a tablet, but until then it's just a toy I don't need. (I'd also have to learn how to use one which shouldn't be a problem, but there is that too).
 
Soft graphite pencils

Charcoal pencils

Prismacolor soft colored pencils

Prismacolor art markers

Watercolor

Crayons (I've done some interesting stuff with kids packs)

Micron pens

Vellum

Mixed media paper

I have some acrylic paint I hardly ever use, too. I think I used it to paint minis, lol. I don't have a lot of work under my belt, but I just recently picked up the pencil again after years of not doing anything. I just went to price supplies today and it seems I forgot how expensive my preferred tools are. ::sigh:: But, maybe it'll be worth it. :)
 
Might you post some of your work here, MeekMe?

Once you are resupplied.
 
Might you post some of your work here, MeekMe?

Once you are resupplied.

I have a little in the BDSM Cafe area. I may start a thread here, but I would like to work a little more first. f^_^;
 
I have a little in the BDSM Cafe area. I may start a thread here, but I would like to work a little more first. f^_^;

fun!

Thanks for sharing.
I did not know that thread was there.
We use dto have challenges here, but after a time........they fizzled.
 
I hope to get my home-based studio functional again.
My office based one is too tenuous, and I have been reluctant to bring in "the works".

With the last change of location — so much stuff came home in a rush, that it never got sorted.:( Then, there was always something that had to be done first.
 
Printing on watercolor paper or bristol via an inkjet printer gives nice results AND the ink (HP) is water soluble, which could be a liability, but with some inventiveness this can be fun to muck about with using a wet brush and more water colors.


You're welcome.:)
 
Hello, you write something very interesting, I like it!

Hello, you write something very interesting, I like it!
 
Recently I made a drawing — graphite (mechanical pencil) on plain ol' copier paper. It is a composite image gleaned from and inspired by several photographs of teh same woman in various pieces of lingerie or blouses etc..

I took some liberties with the pose and the level of "exposure" (more):D

I think I will give a go at adding color via color pencils (Derwent, likely as I got a nice wooden box of them at a garage sale for $3!)
 
... ha!
foiled again!

The "set" is not complete. No black and some others missing. (nice box though! wooden, hinged with a lock and key)
I have black etc... just not here/now. (maybe there is one under some of this stuff....)

need the rich black for the concept I have in mind.
 
ah... a "make do"... located another pencil box, which has a select few pens and pencils, including Derwent and Supracolor black watercolor pencils... not "perfect", but the black is good and rich)
 
I have been itching to make a home based craft workshop that would make Danny Dunn, Tom Swift and Leonardo DaVinci jealous. Basically, a machine shop, wood working shop, welding, sculpture, airbrush, drawing, computer studio.
 
I have been itching to make a home based craft workshop that would make Danny Dunn, Tom Swift and Leonardo DaVinci jealous. Basically, a machine shop, wood working shop, welding, sculpture, airbrush, drawing, computer studio.

That would be excellent!

Install more electrical outlets than you first think.
EXHAUST fans and/or segregated space for airborne particulates and computers.

I am working towards that too... more likely will be two spaces
 
Last edited:
That would be excellent!

Install more electrical outlets than you first think.
EXHAUST fans and/or segregated space for airborne particulates and computers.

I am working towards that too... more likely will be two spaces

I hadn't thought of extra outlets, but exhaust fans was on the menu, but no, actually I wouldn't need to worry about airborne particles with regards to a computer. Mine would be in a fish tank, but good ventilation is always a good idea.
 
ah... a "make do"... located another pencil box, which has a select few pens and pencils, including Derwent and Supracolor black watercolor pencils... not "perfect", but the black is good and rich)

DUH!
Something that I have been meaning to explore further.

I will print out a version or 2 or 3 onto watercolor paper. The inkjet ink is water soluble and can be worked.:D I have toyed with it a little bit before, but this is an opportunity to see about building up the image with watercolors and watercolor pencils.

Of course, NOW I am not at the office with the printer!:rolleyes:
 
I took a few minutes to give a test.


Results are posted in my gallery thread.
 
Love to chat art

I like realistic art from the pornographic to the erotic although in general if i am not posting here go towards more artistic less graphically pornographic ...

Likes pencil, charcoal, prism pencil pastel, art stick, papers from heavy rag to colored papers for chalk playing white mixed chalk, and pastel medias, post on deviant art site as well as participate in few other sites that deal with more technical issues of drawing and media

posted some samples of my work below where have oyu posted like to look at others works to get ideals
 
Have you had any "formal" training, lance?
(generally, by "formal" I mean beyond elementary school — private lessons, HS, university)
Have you worked in wet media?
Have you drawn from live models?

I know that I tend towards drawing implements (pens, pencils) for convenience — fast, portable, little clean-up, can stash quickly (if drawing erotica :cool: ).

I like water colors for similar reasons.

I only rarely bust out the acrylics, and I don't have any oil paints, currently.
 
*sheepish* hello

*blushes bad* I was Candyredlips but could no longer recall log in information, when starting this thread I was dealing with my moms' cancer-and eventually the passing of my mum- and I have been away from the site for years.

I craved a fresh start, and longed to be here something fierce!

Oil painting is my main love, but also dig sculpting, and am trying my hand at naughty little 1" paintings for necklace pendants.

Hello artists and dreamers. What is on your easel, in your sketchbook, under your hands, or behind your lens? :)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top