Remakes

storm_usmc

Experienced
Ever have those stories that you like, but in your opinion could be just a little better? Maybe better isn't the right word, more suited to your taste. I love bondage, exhibitionism, and I like to make realistic descriptions in my stories. I want to know as he tugged her shorts off she was standing there wearing a white cotton thong, etc. I like the loving stories but want to read the part where he may have caught a flash of her panties during class.

Anyway, was debating taking stories I like and then "adjusting" them, so to speak. I've had a few authors I contacted agree as long as I give credit, but so many post and are never heard from again. I guess I can do it and then write disclaimer about the original story.

Just wondering people's thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Ever have those stories that you like, but in your opinion could be just a little better? I love bondage, exhibitionism, and I like to make realistic descriptions in my stories. I want to know as he tugged her shorts off she was standing there wearing a white cotton thong, etc. I like the loving stories but want to read the part where he may have caught a flash of her panties during class.

Anyway, was debating taking stories I like and then "fixing" them, so to speak. I've had a few authors I contacted agree as long as I give credit, but so many post and are never heard from again. I guess I can do it and then write disclaimer about the original story.

Just wondering people's thoughts on this.
Every time this comes up (and it does, often), this notion of "'re-writing" somebody else's stories to "finish" them, make them "better" usually gets greeted by a chorus of, "write your own content, don't steal, plagiarise, borrow, re-use, whatever... someone else's content."

Unless you have explicit permission (which if authors give it, is fine), the general advice is, "don't do it, don't even think about it."

Your "better" might, in the opinion of the original writer, be rubbish, five steps backwards, a travesty, an insult.

Be original, write your own content - which I know you do, so why this even occurs to you is just odd, to be honest.

Consider it this way - how would you feel if some random came along and said, "I like your work, but it could be soooo much better. Here, let me rewrite it for you." You might be okay with it, but somehow I doubt it.

I know what my answer would be. Two words, seven letters, begins in F and O, ends in f.

Ethically (and, depending on what you do with the original, maybe even legally) it's your responsibility to obtain an affirmative response in writing (a PM back to you would do it) from the owner of the story. The owner has no responsibility to answer your request. If it were posted to Literotica and challenged, Laurel undoubtedly would delete it and maybe ban you, as well. I've had a case where she did that with a story I didn't agree to have messed with.

Wouldn't bother me

Every time this comes up (and it does, often), this notion of "'re-writing" somebody else's stories to "finish" them, make them "better" usually gets greeted by a chorus of, "write your own content, don't steal, plagiarise, borrow, re-use, whatever... someone else's content."

Unless you have explicit permission (which if authors give it, is fine), the general advice is, "don't do it, don't even think about it."

Your "better" might, in the opinion of the original writer, be rubbish, five steps backwards, a travesty, an insult.

Be original, write your own content - which I know you do, so why this even occurs to you is just odd, to be honest.

Consider it this way - how would you feel if some random came along and said, "I like your work, but it could be soooo much better. Here, let me rewrite it for you." You might be okay with it, but somehow I doubt it.

I know what my answer would be. Two words, seven letters, begins in F and O, ends in f.

I get what you're saying, but it wouldn't bother me in the least. In fact, more power to whoever does. It shows they like my stuff and I know everyone has their own twists. But maybe I shouldn't have put 'fixing.' It would be more alternating to my tastes.

I get what you're saying, but it wouldn't bother me in the least. In fact, more power to whoever does. It shows they like my stuff and I know everyone has their own twists. But maybe I shouldn't have put 'fixing.' It would be more alternating to my tastes.
Altering to suit your own tastes? All the more reason to write your own content.

If you are contemplating keeping most of the original writer's content, which is the impression I'm getting here, and merely adding in your own embellishments, then that's plagiarism. Not a good look.

Get explicit permission, or don't do it, would be my advice.

I get what you're saying, but it wouldn't bother me in the least.

This is where the fingernails-on-the-blackboard aspect comes into these discussions. It doesn't matter in the least what you think about having your material reused without your permission (although I don't believe it when someone says they wouldn't care); it's what the one who owns the material you plan on "fixing" or embellishing thinks.

Last edited:

Fix Olaf :confused: :D

Seriously though every time I've seen someone try "fixing" someone else's work, it's seldom an improvment. Author's have a certain tone and style when they write and it's impossible to duplicate. I've tried and failed.

A lot of the comments on those stories point that failure out.

There have been a lot of people try it and I can't think of one I consider successful or memorable.

Beg for and receive permission to rewrite, with the original author's approval of your finished story. OP might ask me to re-do a story and I might so permit. But if I didn't like the result, I'd veto its submission. OP and author can make this a collaborative project.

But without the author's complete approval, it's no no no. Write your own stuff. Be inspired by other works but don't copy words and names. Mea culpa: I first started read LIT a few years ago. I saw many fine stories weakened by bad orthography or plot holes. I thought to meself, "Hey self, I can write better than THAT!" So I have. Some are inspired or parodies, but they're mine.

Why read stories by other writers?

When I read stories by other writers (nowhere as much as before I began writing) sometimes I read a passage and think “that could be expanded into a story of its own.” But that’s different from taking someone’s story, telling them you could write it better, and expecting them to like it.

As others have said “write your own.” If you think you’re good enough to improve the work of others it shouldn’t be a problem.

In my humble opinion, very few of the stories here are outstandingly unique. (But, there are exceptions, especially in the longer stories & series pieces.) Thus, why not just take the basic idea of something you like and start from scratch? If the story you recycle is obviously 'author X's' when you're done, then it may cause some unflattering thoughts about you by those who see that, but you will have at least written your own 'similar' story. I think you'd feel much better about the story if it's all yours. (not to mention all the other input about worse things already said.)

Surely it cant hurt,to give a story a new direction or different ending,I fresh look on a old story ,

Ok, asking with a criminal mind, what are the minimum changes one could get away with?

Semi-randomly replace all names, rewrite locations, make sure at least every sixth world is replaced by a synonym. Redress the characters to your liking, flesh including. Toy with their histories, adjust motivations. Add your wanted action and/or descriptions. Rearrange the events. Then rewrite the whole thing following the new logic in your voice.

Change the hook/change the outcome/change the relationship of the characters/change the mood (e.g., make it a parody)/change the POV.

This is how Gregory Maguire pulled it off with retellings of Oz, Cinderella, Snow White, etc.

Alice Randall cut closer to the "don't do" with The Wind Done Gone and was taken to court, but ultimately won on the new twists given the plotline, POV, and character relationships--and on the basis of the more lenient parody laws.

These two changed the POV and got there, as did Tom Stoppard with "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead."

In other words, do as much creative work of your own as the original author did.

Back