Any point asking for a sweep, Manu?

Emirus

Literotica Guru
Nine hours ago a comment was left, anonymously naturally, on my story Annabelle.

“Hate these stories where the wife turns into a total controlling sadistic bitch. Why can’t you write something where she still considers her husband a human being who deserves some love? Domination shouldn’t be utterly cruel and just one sided pleasure.

I’ll try and remember not to read anymore of your stories.”

His comment bears no relation to the story but, as everyone knows, trolls like this are just one of the hazards of writing for this site. Normally the fact that he promptly 1-bombed the story would be annoying but there’s nothing you can do about it except hope it’s removed in a random sweep. However in this instance the b*****d also subsequently 1-bombed all my stories.

The reason for asking is there “any point in asking for a sweep” of all my stories is because I asked for a sweep about four months ago and I’m still waiting for something to happen.

It probably is not very comforting to you but you might even consider it flattering that a being with such limited mental ability took hours or perhaps days to find all your stories in order to 1-bomb them.

As someone famous said "I feel your pain"

Love and Kisses

Lisa Ann

The reason for asking is there “any point in asking for a sweep” of all my stories is because I asked for a sweep about four months ago and I’m still waiting for something to happen.

Laurel runs the story content, including sweeps. You're likely to get farther by asking her.

That doesn't mean you'll get anywhere. Such reader behavior seems common, but it's usually associated with LW. If you explain yourself effectively, then maybe she'll take time.

Laurel runs the story content, including sweeps. You're likely to get farther by asking her.

That doesn't mean you'll get anywhere. Such reader behavior seems common, but it's usually associated with LW. If you explain yourself effectively, then maybe she'll take time.

But don't ask via PM. Use the "Report Story" button on one of the affected stories.

Are you concerned that he/she is voting numerous times on one story, giving you all ones?

Because if not, and you're only concerned about that one vote of 1, I'd ignore it. It will be ameliorated as more votes come in. One person casting a single vote won't have much of an impact.

Shit like that will never end no matter what the site does. There are hundreds of thousands of stories here and policing the voting every time someone gets something negative would be impossible.

I deleted my first comment yesterday. I've always allowed them no matter what. But this one got to me. He's posted (you can tell) numerous times saying the same thing. Like you it was nothing helpful or even intelligent. I finally got fed up but you can bet I still got his 1* (for now)

It's just something to live with. ;)

Any point asking for a sweep, Manu?
None at all. Sweeps happen when they happen, on Laurel & Manu's schedule. Note: Obsessing over votes etc is useless. Your numbers mean little. Really.

Sweeps will run through the next contest, whatever it is - your score will get adjusted then.

One-bombing is a fact of life for most writers here, Emirus. It teaches us humility and gives the trolls something to do between their shifts at the second window. It’s a pain, but you’ll learn to live with it. The multiple bombs generally get cleared up in routine sweeps, anyway. It can actually be a lot of fun when your score jumps a bunch all of a sudden!

Hang in there.

I did use the report button

But don't ask via PM. Use the "Report Story" button on one of the affected stories.

One of my stories, Dominica, was 1-bombed 8 times whilst it was still new and it’s now on 4.47 with 103 votes. No further 1-bombs until this moron and if you remove the 1-bombs it would obviously be a very pleasing rating. With it being bombed so many times in such a short time I did use the report button but nothing happened. So I just accepted that most of them were probably an attack by one person and didn’t do anything more. It’s obvious to anyone that to vote multiple times all you have to do is use different ip addresses but to do so would require real dedication. Because using the report button didn’t work is the reason why I posted this question which I did originally in tech support.

Are you concerned that he/she is voting numerous times on one story, giving you all ones?

Because if not, and you're only concerned about that one vote of 1, I'd ignore it. It will be ameliorated as more votes come in. One person casting a single vote won't have much of an impact.

They didn’t vote numerous times on one story they 1-bombed every story which is why it was so annoying. 1-bombing one story is just something you have to accept. A friend, a much better writer than myself, with a lot of stories all on red gets bombed every time so if it happens to them, and to others, it is part of the game and not worth bothering about.

It will only have taken them five minutes to go through my nine stories and you can never stop someone with that mentality. He/she was probably a LW reader who decided to go for a wander. All I was really doing was venting my frustration via this forum instead of actually banging my head against a brick wall. The frustration has long gone because, as you can see, I didn’t start this thread yesterday.

Nice to have all of you responding in such a good manner. 👍

Don't get why people care about such little things. Earth is getting closer to the Sun and a number of Asteroids are approaching at ever decreasing distances.

I got some nasty comments on a few of my stories. One just said they couldn't finish it because they didn't like that kind of story. Why comment then? It wasn't a slam to my writing. Just the genre.

Another said that I needed to learn how to use commas and they could tell I was a whore. That was actually kind of funny!

But I also noticed that one story that recently had a "Hot" rating has suddenly dropped down. This immediately followed my reply to someone else that I too had that rating. So I suspect that I got 1 bombed right after that.

But I also noticed that one story that recently had a "Hot" rating has suddenly dropped down. This immediately followed my reply to someone else that I too had that rating. So I suspect that I got 1 bombed right after that.
Mentioning your ratings makes you a target. Be vague.

Don't get why people care about such little things. Earth is getting closer to the Sun and a number of Asteroids are approaching at ever decreasing distances.

Yeah, sure, we're all goners soon, but in the meantime . . .

That blasted cuck shit!

Mentioning your ratings makes you a target. Be vague.

Or post the LW stories under another user ID to deflect the trolls. Your fans don’t carry across but you don’t get the one bombs across all your stories. After a while you get used to it anyhow. Your skin gets thicker. That’s no consolation when it’s your first few stories....

So Beware the Ides of Wives, Brutus.

Because I have been following this concept through the AH forum, I paid attention to the next few stories I posted as soon as they went "live" and checked them frequently. As much as we may complain about 1-bombs, it seems to me that "two-pedoes" are far more insidious. Evidently some of the trolls are aware of sweeps, so instead of giving a 1-vote that they know will just get swept, they log on and hit your stories with multiple 2-votes instead. That assumes, of course, that it isn't another author that is hitting your stories to make their own seem more appealing...

Because I have been following this concept through the AH forum, I paid attention to the next few stories I posted as soon as they went "live" and checked them frequently. As much as we may complain about 1-bombs, it seems to me that "two-pedoes" are far more insidious. Evidently some of the trolls are aware of sweeps, so instead of giving a 1-vote that they know will just get swept, they log on and hit your stories with multiple 2-votes instead.
Yes, 2 will become the new 1. Laurel will have to devise a whole new algorithm to cater for those clowns, something tied to time on page and whether all pages have been opened - a tracker that spots if someone jumps multiple pages but still leaves a bomb; and automatically disallows their score.

Such a thing might also encourage writers to submit longer finished stories (or stand-alone chapters, at least) if such a filter made stories more troll resistant - but I probably haven't thought that through properly.

You want to know what would stop trolls? When they vote, they not only have to be logged in, but the system would also disallow alts and their ID would be made public with each vote.

No more anonymous voting, comments and no alts.

You want to know what would stop trolls? When they vote, they not only have to be logged in, but the system would also disallow alts and their ID would be made public with each vote.

This has been discussed over and over. The problem then would be that voting and commenting would drop by over half. Most would not think it worth it. I certainly wouldn't. You'd be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Just adding the comment moderation has stopped me from commenting much anymore. I don't want to have to chase them to find out if they posted. Some have taken up to two days to show.

It's taken a lot of the fun out of reading and interacting here.

only ask if your "big enough"

To the Original Poster,

It seems the problem here is NOT about your story topics or anything. It seems that the bigger fish here, just going from the comments to your question in post 1.

It seems that the bigger fish like say ChloeTzang can get bad ratings and comments deleted from stories on demand for that ratings boost, while little guys with no fame, or internet success at selling stories or getting published in anthologies,

get served shit on a plate.

???

To the Original Poster,

It seems the problem here is NOT about your story topics or anything. It seems that the bigger fish here, just going from the comments to your question in post 1.

It seems that the bigger fish like say ChloeTzang can get bad ratings and comments deleted from stories on demand for that ratings boost, while little guys with no fame, or internet success at selling stories or getting published in anthologies,

get served shit on a plate.

Not sure where you get the idea that some individuals can get bad ratings deleted. Please provide your source or reference for that.

As for deleting bad comments, everybody can do that. Go to your ‘My Stories’ page. Click on the comments button beside the story title. Each comment there has a small garbage can beside it. Click on that and the comment goes away.

Last edited:
Back