Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
picayuneadj.

Of little value or importance, petty, paltry

As a noun, it's also half the name of a newspaper published in New Orleans, the name of a town in Mississippi, the middle name of an 19th century African-American entertainer, and the brand name of a now-defunct brand of cigarettes
 
Great choice, Edward, and one I love to say outloud.

This next one takes me back to my childhood;

pig latin - noun often cap L: a jargon that is made by the systematic mutilation of English (as ipskay the ointjay for skip the joint)
 
Good day, everyone.

piker - noun [Pike County, Missouri, thought to be the original home of many shiftless farmers] 1. one who gambles or speculates with small amounts of money 2. one who does things in a small way; also: TIGHTWAD, CHEAPSKATE

Your use of this word reminded me of another word containing piker, though mine has a different connotation than yours.

shunpiker - one who travels on side roads, avoiding turnpikes

The definition above has broadened to include avoiding all major highways as opposed to strictly toll roads (turnpikes). My former hometown of London, Ontario has long held Shunpiker Tours on Mother's Day weekend that have been organized and sponsored by the local newspaper, The London Free Press. Here is a link to the insert the Free Press provided for the most recent Shunpiker Tour. http://virtual.lfpress.com/doc/londonfreepress/shunpiker_may12/2012050901/#0
 
I have two for today:

mitty: a fictional character given to grand and elaborate fantasies; daydreamer

barrack: 1. To shout in support: to cheer. 2. To shout against: to jeer. 3. A building used to house soldiers. 4. To provide with accommodation.

Somewhat appropriate, don't you think? :)
 
Yes, nonfictional, those are both great words for this week in particular. I must add a bit more about one of my favorite characters that you brought back to my mind, quoted from Wiki;

"Walter Mitty is a fictional character in James Thurber's short story "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", first published in The New Yorker on March 18, 1939, and in book form in My World and Welcome to It in 1942. Thurber loosely based the character on his friend, Walter Mithoff. It was made into a film in 1947, with a remake starring Ben Stiller scheduled for release in 2013.

Mitty is a meek, mild man with a vivid fantasy life: in a few dozen paragraphs he imagines himself a wartime pilot, an emergency-room surgeon, and a devil-may-care killer. The character's name has come into more general use to refer to an ineffectual dreamer, appearing in several dictionaries. The American Heritage Dictionary defines a Walter Mitty as "an ordinary, often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs"."


Onward with the backward Ps;

piggin - noun a small wooden pail with one stave extended upward as a handle
 
Plenipotentiary (adj) One invested with full powers

A very rare beast now with the improvement in communication throughout the 20th Century.

An ambassador plenipotentiary could declare war in the 19th Century. During the war of 1812, the news of peace didn't reach some parts of the world for months after it had been signed, and the warring parties continued to fight.

A Naval Captain in the 18th and 19th Centuries was plenipotentiary for his country because he and his ship might be out of communication with his government for months or years. The War with Zanzibar (the shortest war on record) was started and ended by a Royal Navy Rear-Admiral acting alone using his plenipotentiary powers, but note that he obtained prior consent from London by telegraph.
 
Last edited:
A very rare beast now with the improvement in communication throughout the 20th Century.

An ambassador plenipotentiary could declare war in the 19th Century. During the war of 1812, the news of peace didn't reach some parts of the world for months after it had been signed, and the warring parties continued to fight.

A Naval Captain in the 18th and 19th Centuries was plenipotentiary for his country because he and his ship might be out of communication with his government for months or years. The War with Zanzibar (the shortest war on record) was started and ended by a Royal Navy Rear-Admiral acting alone using his plenipotentiary powers.

I like the cut of your jib Oggbashan - v. interesting & insightful :)
 
I agree that Og makes this thread a much more interesting read. Thanks, again, Og, for everything and sharing the information on the world's shortest war.

pigeon-hearted - adj TIMID, COWARDLY

Why did pigeons get stuck with such crummy words named after them? Their docile manner, I suppose.
 
Zanzibar

Another interesting fact about Zanzibar:

The British and German Empires agreed to a swap.

Britain gave Germany the island of Heligoland in exchange for Zanzibar Heligoland - Zanzibar Treaty.

Heligoland is still part of Germany. Zanzibar is not British.

We Brits did try to blow it off the face of the earth after WW2 - see Heligoland on Wiki but didn't quite destroy it.
 
Og, thanks for the additional information on Zanzibar. An interesting quote from the article;

On 18 April 1947, the Royal Navy detonated 6,700 tonnes of explosives ("Big Bang" or "British Bang"), creating one of the biggest single non-nuclear detonations in history.

piffle - vi [perhaps a blend of piddle and trifle] to talk or act in a trivial, inept, or ineffective way: TRIFLE

piffle - noun trivial nonsense, INEPTITUDE
 
A good Sunday to you, all.

Pierian - adj 1. of or relating to the region of Pieria in ancient Macedonia or to the Muses as early worshipped there 2. of or relating to learning or poetry

Pierian spring - noun a fountain in Pieria sacred to the Muses and held to be a source of poetic inspiration
 
Pierian - adj 1. of or relating to the region of Pieria in ancient Macedonia or to the Muses as early worshipped there 2. of or relating to learning or poetry

Pierian spring - noun a fountain in Pieria sacred to the Muses and held to be a source of poetic inspiration

It was referred to by one of my favourite authors, Pope: Pierian Spring.

You have to drink deep, or not at all. (A little knowledge is a dangerous thing).
 
An interesting one.

preantepenultimate: Fourth from the last.

From Latin: pre- (before) + ante- (before) + pen- (almost) + ultimus (last).

Used in a sentence: "The female in question ... was the preantepenultimate ex-wife of ol' Josh P."
Esther Friesner; Just Another Cowboy; Fantasy & Science Fiction (Cornwall, Connecticut); Apr 2002.
 
Og, I was sorry to hear that the spring is closed to the public. I would like to visit the ancient sites, when I finally tour Europe, some day in the future. Thanks for the link, as always.

pier glass - noun a large high mirror; esp: one designed to occupy the wall space between windows

pier table - noun a table to be placed under a pier glass
 
Sacred Wells

Earlier this year I visited St Winefride's Well near Holywell in North Wales.

St Winifrid is a significant character in Ellis Peters Cadfael novels. More about St Winefride.

Her Well is supposed to heal many things including skin complaints. I have a tendency to dry skin on the back of my right hand, usually caused by exposure to the sun. While there I washed hands in water from St Winefride's Well. Since then the skin on my right hand has improved - but it might have been the wet summer! Anyway, thank you, St Winefride.

There are many Holy Wells in the British Isles (British Isles because there are many in Ireland as well as England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) but St Winefride's is one of the most visited. They have a large procession on her Saint's Day and many people walk through the water.

The amount of water coming from her well is impressive. At one time it worked several water mills down the valley.

There is an interpretation centre and shop at St Winefride's Well. The souvenirs can be the worst kind of kitsch with plastic dolls of St Winefride looking like no human being.

But I don't think there are any Holy Wells in the British Isles that provide wisdom. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Very interesting, Og, and most certainly a place I would love to visit. I believe certain waters have very healing effects on the body and am glad the waters of St. Winefride's Well helped your hand.

I have been studying the textile industry in America this morning and found out about the Lowell Mill Girls and their struggle for the 10 hour workday. The next word came from my research;

opproprium - noun 1. something that brings disgrace 2.a. public disgrace or or ill fame that follows from conduct considered grossly wrong or vicious: INFAMY b. CONTEMPT, REPROACH
 
Very interesting, Og, and most certainly a place I would love to visit. I believe certain waters have very healing effects on the body and am glad the waters of St. Winefride's Well helped your hand.

I have been studying the textile industry in America this morning and found out about the Lowell Mill Girls and their struggle for the 10 hour workday. The next word came from my research;

opproprium - noun 1. something that brings disgrace 2.a. public disgrace or or ill fame that follows from conduct considered grossly wrong or vicious: INFAMY b. CONTEMPT, REPROACH

this word could be used to describe the discourse nationally and on Lit forums when discussing politics.
 
Yes, Rj, I might have to incorporate opproprium into my current word usage for the reasons you expressed. I immediately thought of Trump.

From my research;

spinster - noun 1. a woman whose occupation is to spin 2.a. archaic: an unmarried woman of gentle family b. an unmarried woman 3. a woman past the common age for marrying or one who seems unlikely to marry

It seems many woman, who worked the mills as spinsters, never married and that may be the basis for this term.
 
Yes, Rj, I might have to incorporate opproprium into my current word usage for the reasons you expressed. I immediately thought of Trump.

From my research;

spinster - noun 1. a woman whose occupation is to spin 2.a. archaic: an unmarried woman of gentle family b. an unmarried woman 3. a woman past the common age for marrying or one who seems unlikely to marry

It seems many woman, who worked the mills as spinsters, never married and that may be the basis for this term.

From the stories my father-in-law told of his working in a textile/felt mill, yes, I'd agree that the term came from there.
 
Oxford Shorter:

Spinster Late Middle English: 1. A woman (or rarely, a man) who spins especially as a regular occupation. b. A spider or other insect that spins (rare) 1636; 2 Appended to the names of women originally to denote their occupation, but subsequently as the proper legal designation of one unmarried. Late Middle English. b. An unmarried woman; especially an old maid.

1. Ther were... ther dwelling... dyuers good spynsters and carders 1543.
2. Joan Lambe, widow of London, spynster 1564.
3. 'I write myself spinster because the laws of my country call me so. 1719
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top