What Do You Think Literotica.com Is Worth?

Soma99

Literotica Guru
I'm certainly not buying and I have NO idea how to estimate these things, but this site seems like it could be so much better with some basic maintenance.

Kinda like flipping a house, what would someone make by buying it then selling it?

They must have something listed on this somewhere because someone a few years ago linked to a site indicating it was valued at a couple of million dollars. Laurel weighed in with a snort about that.

I love how every couple of months someone comments on how much better this site would be if 'just' x or y or a complete overhaul was done.

Modernising the site would cost an absolute motza, would probably result in some data loss/corruption, would require an amount of downtime and - let's face it - would probably still not be to everyone's liking. This isn't the equivalent of Tommo's House Painter's switching from a GoDaddy template to something custom.

I've lived through a website overhaul for a company that stored (in general terms) a significant amount of resources. It. Was. Hell. It took longer than anticipated, cost significantly more than budgeted, and when it was finally released, it was to a chorus of petty whinging.

I'm certainly not buying and I have NO idea how to estimate these things, but this site seems like it could be so much better with some basic maintenance.
Yet despite the moans, it provides tens of thousands of stories to millions of readers and has done so for twenty years, so whilst it might not have 2018 bells and whistles, it does something right. Let's face it, you don't have to try terribly hard to find something you'll like, and more every day. At least the wheels go round and there's one on every corner. It's not bad, for what you pay.

I have no clue what it's worth but if they need money, they could offer membership for a small fee. One would not have to be a member to read/post here but members could get a few perks than non members wouldn't.

I have no clue what it's worth but if they need money, they could offer membership for a small fee. One would not have to be a member to read/post here but members could get a few perks than non members wouldn't.
Such as?

I already pay them by giving them product for free that they make money off of. I wouldn't pay them to give them free product.

When Bianca's offered membership, members got a private chat room. I realize that something like that probably wouldn't be necessary these days but how about a member's only forum?

That'd be an easy one to explain to your spouse.

'What's this reoccurring $2.99 monthly charge?'

'Oh, it's my payment to Literotica so I can try and find a woman to sext with rather than just read dirty stories.'

Yep. Can see that going down well....

My take at monetization of LitE as it now would be a tokens system to vote more than 5.

Let's say:
Can vote up to 5 for free,
one token to vote 6,
4 for 7,
12 for 8,
36 for 9,
100 or enter your own above for a 10.

Or something like that. They already have tokens for the cam site, so not that much of stretch.

Autors can use the tokens further as is, or take out at a part of buy value.

Only downside, old stories will need a not trivial to calculate adjustment of historical scores. Perhaps, assuming every twentieth 5 to be an 8 or something.

Last edited:
I like the quaint interface, actually. It reminds me how the internet used to be, in happier times.

Kinda like flipping a house, what would someone make by buying it then selling it?

Easily.
Tree fitty. It would be nice if we could edit stuff. Srsly

Slightly off topic, but maybe not...

Anyone know why we lost the ability to edit our profile?

Yet despite the moans, it provides tens of thousands of stories to millions of readers and has done so for twenty years, so whilst it might not have 2018 bells and whistles, it does something right. Let's face it, you don't have to try terribly hard to find something you'll like, and more every day. At least the wheels go round and there's one on every corner. It's not bad, for what you pay.

I don't think the readers notice the glaring broken functions as much as authors and people who frequently post on the boards.

The only reason a major overhaul is needed is because nothing has been done gradually the last twenty years and now fixing it is jenga, unplug the wrong piece and the whole thing comes down.

I don't buy the what do you want, its free, attitude. As someone who ran his own business for a few years and was one of four people running a company for the last few years not wanting to improve and move along and most importantly ignoring complaints and being all around half ass is unacceptable.

You'll have to excuse some of us old school people with a work ethic who thinks you should give it your best and take pride in what you do, not coast and tell outright lies with a smirk on your face which is what often has happened here.

Slightly off topic, but maybe not...

Anyone know why we lost the ability to edit our profile?
You can edit your story-side profile, but the changes don't flow through to the forum-side profile. That glitch has been notified to Manu, who is the site's technical administrator.

You can edit your story-side profile, but the changes don't flow through to the forum-side profile. That glitch has been notified to Manu, who is the site's technical administrator.

All this I know, still my original question was...

I tend to be a bit mercenary when it comes to chances to make some money.

If I ran this site or one similar, it would be $10 a month to read unlimited stories, post on the boards, chat etc...for readers.

Authors obviously join for free(like dating sites always let women join for free because that's the draw) and since the site is making money contests would pay higher and there would be small incentives for hitting certain numbers.

Most importantly...this 100% eliminates anonymous. It also cuts way down on alts and sock puppet voting because are you going to pay $10 a month per ID just to toss a fluff comment or vote on your own story?

It gets rid of the changing ISP's to multi vote as well as the votes would only be by paid ID and only one per name.

That would leave the authors possibly capable of creating alts, but each author account would require stories to be under it.

Now people will say "but if they charge they'll lose thousands of members!"

Possibly, but they'll be the trolls who come here to vent their hate. decent members would pay to read all month for a lousy $10 and if even 20% of active members paid that monthly fee? This place would make a killing.

And then no excuse for the half ass website version of an atari 2600, there'd be plenty of money to invest and plenty of incentive to do so.

But....that's me.

Last edited:
That'd be an easy one to explain to your spouse.

'What's this reoccurring $2.99 monthly charge?'

'Oh, it's my payment to Literotica so I can try and find a woman to sext with rather than just read dirty stories.'

Yep. Can see that going down well....

I think B's did it yearly and perhaps via Paypal. Dunno. I was employed by them so my membership came free to me.

If I ran this site or one similar, it would be $10 a month to read unlimited stories, post on the boards, chat etc...for readers.

Authors obviously join for free(like dating sites always let women join for free because that's the draw) and since the site is making money contests would pay higher and there would be small incentives for hitting certain numbers.

Most importantly...this 100% eliminates anonymous. It also cuts way down on alts and sock puppet voting because are you going to pay $10 a month per ID just to toss a fluff comment or vote on your own story?

It gets rid of the changing ISP's to multi vote as well as the votes would only be by paid ID and only one per name.

That would leave the authors possibly capable of creating alts, but each author account would require stories to be under it.

Now people will say "but if they charge they'll lose thousands of members!"

Possibly, but they'll be the trolls who come here to vent their hate. decent members would pay to read all month for a lousy $10 and if even 20% of active members paid that monthly fee? This place would make a killing.

And then no excuse for the half ass website version of an atari 2600, there'd be plenty of money to invest and plenty of incentive to do so.

But....that's me.

I don't agree. One of the things that is best about this site is that it's free. Take that away and you lose that. The way to monetize this site is more and better use of advertising, or by making aggregate data available. My guess is that this site generates no where near its potential revenue. I've also wondered what it's worth. It's a fixer upper, for sure.

[snip]

But....that's me.

Sounds like a plan. When do you start your site?

Or does it only work if someone else first spends 20 years building the infrastructure with thousands of stories, authors and readers to produce the largest site of its kind in the world?

There is at least one pay story site...I forget the name as I'm not a member. I've been a member here for 16 of the 20 years.

rj

Getting back to the original question for just a moment, www.freevaluator.com places Lit's value at $951,058.56 -- right down to the penny.

Check again and it might be something else. I don't know how quickly the evaluation updates.

Back