Darkwood (closed)

Ashien seemed to have been drawing absently in his journal, and was showing some of his work to the boy who seemed rather interested, even showing him drawings of Norwegian and Russian architecture that he'd seen in his time away, and a beautiful portrait of his beloved twin in her armor beside her horse.
 
Dylan watched them in silence, a small smile on her face as she saw how fascinated Burke was by everything. Even so young, it seemed that he had firm beliefs and interests. He had just never been given the opportunity to explore before. She wondered about his life before they had met, especially about the mouthful of a name that he had. However, that would all be solved at another time.

"What's for lunch?" Dylan asked, drawing both of their attentions at the same time. "I didn't mean to sleep so long."
 
"Dinner now, love," Ashien smiled over to her. "Lunch was hours ago. We decided to let you sleep. Or rather, Isabella refused to let me even wake you to eat." He stood, but Burke reached her side first to take her hand, silently ready to do whatever she needed. Ashien approached, ruffling Burke's hair. "We've been talking while you were asleep... working out some details for the adoption. Burke's made it clear that he wants to stay at your side... and he likes the idea of changing his name to Ghis."
 
"It's something I'd like him to think about a while longer." Dylan said as she let them both help her to stand. "A lot has happened in a short amount of time. Let's make sure that this is the right decision, alright?"

Dylan glanced down at Burke as he held her hand, seemingly ready to be a part of her life for as long as she would let him. She could sympathize with the need of a child to have a permanent family. It is how she felt when she was with her grandfather, living at Darkwood in her younger years.
 
"We won't rush anything. I've told him he doesn't need those papers to stay with us, especially not when Henry's on our side. But we've had a good time talking about other things too. Apparently Burke is interested in drawing and some other things he's never gotten to try." As Ashien laid a hand on his shoulder, it was becoming apparent that the two were quickly getting comfortable with each other. Between Ashien's position as Lord of Darkwood with the connections that had helped secure Burke's place there, and Ashien's innate friendliness and Dylandra's care, Burke seemed to be finding a little place for himself beside them.
 
Dylan smiled as she let Burke lead her to dinner with Ashien holding her other hand. They dined with Isabella and John finally, Dylan looking much better after a long sleep. She felt much better as well. They bundled her up for the carriage ride home, making sure that she wouldn't have to feel a bit of the bitter cold. It all made her laugh that everyone was fussing over her, but she took it without complaint.

When they arrived back at Darkwood, Dylan helped Burke get ready for bed as Ashien fed Ballas. As she sat on the edge of his bed, she tucked the covers up to his chin to ward off the chill of the stone room.

"One day we will have to talk about where you came from." Dylan said softly. "I have some questions that I think you can answer, but you probably never wanted to before. Am I right?"
 
"I've never had a reason to," Burke murmured, laying his head on the pillow. "No one asks you where you're from when you're supposed to be working... I'll tell you, though, if you want."
 
"Your name is very unusual." Dylan said softly as Burke promised that he would tell her about his family if she really wanted to know. "And I know that many people came over the channel when the last war occurred, but I think there's something more than that in this story."

Dylan lay down beside Burke, looking the little boy in the eyes as she waited for the story. "Let me tell you something first. No matter what you tell me, nothing will change. I just want to be sure that we are doing what is best for your, Burke, and that no one will be coming to look for you."
 
"My Ma's friends told me about her and my Da and his Da," Burke muttered, revealing that he knew far more than he'd originally told her, particularly that he knew who his father was, and that he might still have living family. "My Grandpa fought for Hardrada against King William, and he stayed in England after they lost. Da was a merchant sailor, and Ma was a miller's daughter. Burke was her favorite Norwegian name, Yngve was my grandpa, and she had me keep the name Hjallrsson in Da's honor. His ship went missing before I was born."
 
"And what if you still have people out there searching for you?" She asked, knowing that he had probably thought about that fact many times. "What if they showed up wanting you to come home with them? Would you be ready to do that?"
 
"They didn't want Ma when Da died. I don't see why they'd want me. And people who didn't care about her don't get to pretend to care about me," he muttered, curling a little closer to her. "But if they didn't know about me... I still wouldn't go with them, but I wouldn't mind knowing them."
 
Dylan gathered Burke close as he curled up next to her, admitting that he would like to know them if he had the chance. "It's likely that some might come out of the woodwork now that you're being taken into a noble household. You have the final say, Burke, just like I promised. If there is someone that you want to meet, it's up to you."
 
"I don't really care to go looking right now... Any family I have is probably in Norway or northern England. I want to figure out how I belong here first."
 
“You belong in any way that you want to belong.” Dylan said softly. “As our son, as a squire, as a worker. However you wish to live here at Darkwood.”
 
"I still don't understand why you're so nice to me," Burke murmured, resting his head on her shoulder as she held him. "... But thank you. For everything."
 
“Because, my dear, I know what it feels like to be abandoned when you really just need a helping hand.” Dylan said softly. “It might not seem like much, but I’m repaying a kindness that was given to me when I was about your age.”
 
"Don't sell yourself short... For someone who has nothing, one person caring even a little can mean the difference between dying in the street and survival." Burke spoke like a man several times his age, knowing the truth of those words too well for his youth.
 
Before she knew it, Dylan was asleep as she held Burke close, letting the little boy feel as loved as she possibly could. He was wounded and she was going to make sure that he understood that he had a place there at Darkwood.
 
Sometime during the night, an extra blanket was laid over Dylandra and Ballas joined the two, his head resting on Dylan's side when she woke. Burke was still fast asleep, curled up against her peacefully.
 
Dylan woke briefly when she felt the blanket being pulled over her body to see Ashien doing the task. She gave him a small smile as Ballas settled in at her side, the tiger situated so that his head rested protectively over her belly and she held Burke a little bit tighter.

"You're a sight for sore eyes." Dylan murmured in a soft whisper, letting out a long yawn. "We were talking about serious things and I must have fallen asleep."
 
"I thought as much," Ashien reached down to ruffle Burke's short hair, having found the boy seemed to take comfort in the motion, even in his sleep. "He may not realize it... but he's found a perfect little spot for himself with us already, by the looks of it." Ashien knew a bit of Dylandra's time as a child, alone with no one but her grandfather, so he had some idea of her attachment to the boy. "It's up to him, really... but even after only being home only two days... I wouldn't mind calling him ours."
 
"You think you're up to the task of parenting two small children? Infants need a lot of attention and time." Dylan said softly as Ashien seemed to be excited at the idea that Burke could be their child. "Do you think he'll be upset when we have to focus on a baby?"
 
"Knowing what he's been through... It could go either way. He could either be perfectly self-sufficient and understanding... He's already fairly independent. Or, he might have some abandonment issues that we'll have to work out. Either way, he'll learn. And we do have help, so he won't be entirely on his own. I know for a fact that Van is going to take a baby as a chance to play uncle again. He adores children."
 
"He'll learn, but will we?" Dylan asked as Ballas stretched and placed his large paw on her legs, telling her to be quiet. "And will you, you big baby?"

She scratched Ballas's ears, listening to the dark rumble of his purr. It made her chuckle as he acted like a spoiled house cat instead of the intimidating tiger than he really was.
 
"If all else fails, there's a lovely little lady in Inverness that will happily teach us everything she knows after berating me for not sending her enough letters," Ashine chuckled thinking about Kitty. "And I have plenty of siblings to learn from too. As for Ballas... he's a lost cause."
 
Back
Top