Severe writers block

Writer's block is a myth created by lazy writers to justify their unproductivity and lack of creativity.


I have to agree. In a nutshell, if I don't write, I don't get paid. And I've got to get paid and that's the best motivation.
 
I disagree that writer's block is a justification for lack of creativity - it's a mere excuse for not being productive, sure, and I'd not accept that from a colleague any more than teachers did when I was at school.
But Literotica doesn't need any more competently-written but formulaic and ultimately boring stories. Reports at work - I'm delighted when they're competently-written, sticking to the required formula, and on time! But if someone can't come up with a creative thought, then I'd be delighted for them not to publish on Literotica until they can!

One How to Write book I like recommends a daily routine of writing three pages about anything at all, every morning. (updated in my case to as much as I can type on my phone during a 15-min commute). And, when feeling you have nothing to write about, 'replenishing your well' - go to a movie or art gallery, read a book, sit in a cafe and people-watch... Get some new experiences and then try writing something - whether it's about your surroundings - what can you see, hear, smell, touch, feel... Or a person - who, where, when, why are they doing what they are, how? And what next? Most of what you end up with won't be particularly original, but you'll end up with some new ways for looking at things which can hugely improve a story or become the starts of stories of their own.

Suggesting people don't bother publishing on Lit probably sounds terribly arrogant, but it's the standard I hold myself to - I've got dozens of bits of writing, write-ups of encounters, but if it doesn't amount to a story in its own right, or is basically Yet Another First Time Doing X just like the million stories out there, I'll spare you all. I've definitely got loads to learn about structure and pacing for plot purposes, but if nothing else I like to think my stories add something new to Lit that isn't just a range of British swear words.
 
Back
Top