The Assassin's unexpected Prize (closed)

Asa

Writer...Dream...Fantasy
Joined
Jun 9, 2003
Posts
36,473
tumblr_o5uwqzDtc11usf61uo1_1280.jpg

The various galaxies had become... "Civilized" with no need for assassins nor soldiers... Most of the Galaxy centers didn't even require police or as they were called as everyone was becoming more tame and civilized constables. She like the rest of her people were left to fend for themselves and figure out other talents for survival. That was the problem...

Many became bored enough to travel the edges seeking anything to hunt or kill or fight. She in time did the same. Managing to find an old luxury cruiser that had been created from an ancient Darryen War destroyer. Far too big of a ship for her but it afforded her lots of things to train with and destroy or sell for credits when she needed money for food repairs or gambling.

That's when she found it... A strange being... Looked like the laughable humans of old... At least how the old silver data chips portrayed them. There had been no single blood being in centuries... So what or who was this being and why did she find him interesting?
tumblr_nivdgimBvE1rlcukso3_r1_400.gif

There was no bounty to collect and she was in no way charitable of a being but now here she was with this... Single blood she found as she scavenged the closed off areas of the Lost Souls space port created by her own kind on the forgotten edge of known space....

She apparently was not the only one who knew about it... Something was coming from outside the border lands... Following her kind and the strange single blood creature... Finally... Battle... Suddenly this strange yet interesting single blood was of value after all.
tumblr_owtf19CvEX1s8m4j4o1_400.jpg


tumblr_ohiw36gk521vqzrfro1_1280.jpg


____________________________

Lost Souls... An overzealously accurate name for what her people had become. Taylanna Azen sighed as she was directed to a docking area. She had busted up a couple of training rooms worth of equipment to sell to scavenge the tons of unused areas in the station. They clearly had literally just slammed tons of scrap ships and stations together to create this monstrosity then didn't even use most of it. Still it was a good bet she could find useful stuff for the ai to help her better manage repair and run her ship... Her home... Her tomb of boredom.
 
Jack Tyler had had a hard life, even growing up as he did, the son of a well-respected doctor, and a high priced and powerful lawyer. He always managed to find himself in trouble. Law Enforcement, or gangs, or just general mischief he was always restless, wanting more in his life. Then seemingly over night Technology hit a new plateau. And the next twenty years seemed to just leap the human race forward in advancements. Talks of searching distant stars and creating colonies on other planets became a reality, Gene splicing, genetic modification and enhancement became a “fad” among Jack’s generation and well, it was awesome money to allow “experiments” and be compensated for allowing Doctors to test their “newest” creations and designs on a willing human subject. And well, he’d been curious and needed money. More then a few tests had been performed and he’d come out on the winning side, his hand eye coordination had sky rocketed, and his reflexes seemed to become hyper aware, reacting faster than anything the doctor’s had ever seen before. They’d paid him well as they took blood samples, hair, anything they could think of to check and test his DNA, Jack later learned a beneficial side affect the doctor’s never knew about.

One night he’d gotten into a Bar fight. He’d been drunk, and cocky, making fun of a few punks that’d had gone through Gene splicing to make themselves appear more animal looking, and he’d picked a fight. Three against one they grew frustrated as they were unable to land any hits, and were getting their collected asses kicked, unaware of Jack’s own enhancements. It had taken 18 guys, but they’d finally managed to get him on the ground and had beat him, badly. Breaking his hand and wrist, and nearly pulling his arm from his socket. He’d managed to get himself home, passing out from the pain of his injuries, He’d woke up late into the afternoon the next day, surprised to find his injuries had healed, appearing to be months old instead of 12 hours, his arm and hand seemingly to work perfect.

With this new knowledge he’d flitted from one job to another, developing a penchant for security and bodyguard work, As Jack reached his early 30’s, talks of sending out the first ships into space had begun to circulate, human colonies on other planets, He’ signed up without a thought, being drafted into the “colony Protection assests” he was shoved through a hard Military style bootcamp, The development of Neural integration, allowing the download of information right into a persons memory. 4 years later 3 ships had been built. Without even looking back Jack took his assignment, Colony security, shoved into a “Cryo pod” he was told when they’d reached a planet that appeared habitable the pod would awaken the security team, allowing them to scope out the discovery. And that was the last thing Jack remembered as he fell into Cryo sleep
 
Last edited:
Talanna docked and quickly took off to scavenge the other areas that were never used because the controls didn't work in those areas. Light bands around her arms she began searching intently. Kicking over scrap metal and debris she made her way through two of the patch work ships slapped into this derelict space station. She was getting annoyed when she made her way into the third ship and found the useless area. Tubes... Tons of them looked like a graveyard of old. When she looked closer at them it did appear to be a graveyard. Getting angry at not finding anything helpful. Kicking one of the tubes it banged against a wall and lights started flashing on tube and wall. Drawing her phase knife she snarled watching the lights and signals.
 
The cryo pod wavered as it rocked back and forth, The power cell of the tube nearly depleted, having been unplugged from the main power source for years now, the computer console awoke, the light from it illuminating the small area. A rhythmic beeping heard as it began the awakening sequence. Inside the tube the glass began to defrost then vent the air as the seals were broken. A female voice echoed in the quiet of the room “Awakening sequence complete in T-minus 3 minutes, all Vital signs stable and rising” a light from inside the tube flickered on, revealing the person inside “Warning, Error Detected, Power reserves critical, failsafe systems at 13% power and dropping, Emergency Override Activated, awakening Procedure initiated” the voice said again,
 
The shimmering in her eyes rippled as she snarled studying what was happening with increasing annoyance. She could not finish her scavenging till she knew what was going on here and if this was a good or bad thing.

Well hurry up

She growled at the bodiless voice.
 
The door to the cryo tube opened with a hiss, the internal atmosphere fogging out into the stale air. Resuscitation complete, All life signs are stable, Occupant advised to notify Ships Captain and report for duty The light dimmed as the screen and the unit shut down, a sharp intake of breath heard as a hand grabs the door edge “computer….Date and time report…” the voice was groggy, and gruff, “why the hell are the lights off, “ coughing “Computer, Respond, Report….” A soft curse he lifted himself from the tube, rubbing his face and yawning, his foot catching something on the floor he gave a sharp curse as he tripped, the solid thunk of his body hitting the deck plating “what the fuck………..” there was a soft pause “this isn’t the ship……what the hell……” pushing himself up he got to one knee, blinking he looked into around the dim room, “Fuck…..” suddenly his eyes flick to the dark figure, his hand shooting to his side he pats, then looks down “oh yea…..double fuck….remind me to lodge a complaint…” he muttered to himself “Who are you, I can see you in the dark….Where am I, when the fuck am I, and if I didn’t ask already, Who the fuck are you?” his voice grew stronger as he talked,
 
The shimmering eyes she could not do anything about it was part of her blood as she growled. This had to be the same ship but tossed about over the centuries. She sniffed but he smelled wrong... Something was strange but what as she growled again slowly moving closer.

When do you think it is?
 
When do you think it is? the feminine tone in the voice halted his crude reply, he continued to look around, he looked at the other cryo tubes lined up around him “Computer, Emergency,…………..respond……intruder alert…………” he looked around as if expecting something to happen…..” his eyes returning to the shadowed figured, seeing them slowly moving closwer “really??? We’re gunna play this game? Answering a question with a question? You’re obviously not human, the eyes give that away” he moved to another pod, touching something, then touching it again before punching it.. reaching up to wipe at the fogged glass, the cursed “dead……great…” he looked back to the shadowed figure “Obviously the ships been adrift for a while, if this pod isn’t responding then the others are probably shut down too, “ he sighed and rubbed his face again “umm, well, until I can look at a chronometer, I cant give you even a straight answer, because I don’t know…when I went to sleep it was year 2187 my time, but, without knowing where we are, I don’t know how long ive been asleep or how far we’ve traveled,” he sighed and proceeded to dust off his clothing “well, you’re not trying to kill me yet, so how about telling me who you are…” he looked around, and kneeled down, a soft beeping sound followed “well at least this still fucking works..” he muttered, a few seconds later a light flared, illuminating the ground as he pointed the light down “there, now we can shed some light on the matter…” he quipped
 
Last edited:
Standing she watched him.

I was surprised to find any of them functioning. Those like me hobbled together debris from the outer edge and created the station. They call it Lost Souls.

She laughed at that a little. Insanely accurate with the fact that our kind are... No longer needed thanks to the civilized centers of the regions. I do not recognize the designation you gave for time.
 
He looked around, shining the light around the bay, he listened to her as she spoke, not much choice in the matter given current conditions, seeming growing more agitated, he went down the row, checking pods, some still had power but the cyro seal had been broken, the occupants inside dead. They call it Lost Souls. Insanely accurate with the fact that our kind are... No longer needed that stopped him short and he turned “your kind? What are you? Klingon? Romulan? Vulcan?” he quipped, he knew she wasn’t human, the growl and the eyes gave that away, but he was not yet ready to confront that little piece of info, he needed to find a weapon, ok, so they hobbled this piece of trash they call a station from bits and pieces of scrap they’d found floating around. Means the ship had been adrift, or perhaps attacked? maybe some spacial anomaly, before everyone went to sleep they’d been briefed to expect the unknown, that they would awaken and find themselves in unfamiliar space is everything went well. “well, whatever you are , Im human, from a planet called Earth, we called our Solar system the Milky way galaxy” he kicked some debris over and crouched down infront of one of the pods, the control panel had been broken off but still seemed to function, barely, flickering to life he held it up, tapping it a few times, and blowing to the dust off he looked at the control clock……..noo………….noo..noonooo nooo this couldn’t be right…. Sept 5th, 2287…..21:22 earth standard time “noo, this cant be right, yea, this panels damaged, its not right, cant be” he stated, doing his best to hide the panic in his voice “100 years….noo cant be right, ive been adrift…asleep for a 100 years….no wayl… NO” he screamed and kicked the pod, then cursed as he shook out his foot

“ok/…….ok……..this has to be a god damned bad dream…” he swung the light around, looking for something, anything, “or….or a joke….yea someone playing a joke…..now way ive been asleep that long…. The trip was only suppose to last 42 years at cruise” his breathing increased as he looked around, finally eh turned, shining the light at who he’d been talking to, wanting to get a good god damned look at her,
 
100 years...

She repeated almost disbelieving as he was.

That would make you... Impossible...

Shaking her head.

As for what I am my people are called X'azen. Soldiers... Assassins... Destroyers from birth. We have a human ancestry code but it is solitary and distant. We... All that live now are multi blood. We can draw on different aspects of the different races we are a part of. There has not been a single blood being around for I would gather at least your hundred years time span. It is impossible... You cannot be a single blood. This is a trick.

She stood there blade in hand the shimmer in her eyes rippling with her distrust and hyper alert mind set.
 
100 years... That would make you... Impossible... Jack just watched her, his eyes taking her in, the subtle shift of her body, the sight of the weapon in her hand not lost on him, then returned to her eyes, he remained relaxed, looking around and checking the tubes had given him the chance to learn the layout of the room, and had also picked up a sheered off piece of metal, in a pinch it would do as a knife and he’d stuffed it behind his back. It is impossible... You cannot be a single blood. This is a trick an eyebrow peaked, almost mocking given the look on his face “Soldiers and assassins huh? Heh, amateur. 100 years ago, or more, I don’t trust that console, I was part of a contingent of security officers shipped off on a colony ship, looking for a new world we could possibly colonize, the last thing I remember is entering one of these tubes, until your happy ass managed to wake me” he stated, his voice clipped, with more then a little edge of sarcasm “and now here we are, in the beat up cargo hold of a vessel, or station, god only knows where, only knows how long, and the first conversation I have with someone who is an alien is about “ his face screwed up in a scowl “single blood? I mean? What does that even mean?......look, I don’t care…………are you gunna use that shiny piece of junk?”

He dipped his head down indicating the weapon in her hand “because if not, “ he sighed “Listen lady, I am not in a position to understand any of this except for the fact that, he lifted a hand and ticked off points, One, I am alone, wherever we are current, Two, I am going to need help if I am to figure out what has happened since I went into Statis, and Three, I need to piss……..wheres the bathroom?” he lowered the light to her feet as he approached her, not at all cautiously as he probably should. But if she was going to end up being a hostile he wasn’t about to give her room to do anyting that might surprise him, was that her only weapon? Whats with the eyes? And could he even beat her if they fought, the best chance he’d have of even a hope of winning would be to close rank where he could use his speed
 
A brow raised at him as he moved closer a growl.falling from her as the dagger passed through the nearest tube as if it were water. She smirked at his words of amateur.

Single bloods... Antiquated beings who were of only a single race. All single bloods died off long ago they could not survive... Could not adapt. Called themselves pure bloods... Always trying to push around their alleged superiority but they couldn't survive against the outsiders...

Grumbling she motioned for him to go find some corner or see if there are facilities in this wreck.

Make it fast we need to get going. My salvage time runs thin.
 
He watched her slice out with her knife, quickly noting how easy it seemed to just slice right through the material of the pod and he arched a brow at her as she spoke, explaining what she had meant and that stopped him, her word usage still sounding off to him “Died off??? Nooooo nonono there was a whole planet of us, several thousand of us had taken what we called Colony ships, about 2000 people on board per ship, meant to find new planets to colonize and expand, when I left Earth there were 4 ships, each going in a different direction, If, and it’s a big if, the Chrono was right and ive been asleep for over a 100 years, there’s no way the we could all be dead, I just cant believe it, I mean, were would that put me?” he frowned, “no, I need to try and make contact, or something……..” his bluster and arrogance seemed to falter, he wasn’t stupid, she could be lieing, but given his species past, something could have changed just after his ship was launched, she could be telling the truth……but he just didn’t have enough answers….. Make it fast we need to get going. My salvage time runs thin. “We? “then he thought about that statement again as he looked around, “well……..shit……….im not prone to going with strangers in the first place, let alone some alien ive only just met……but if this is the condition of……..whatever this is…..”

shit shit shit…..he thought, he could try and take his chances, maybe someone else would happen along, but what if they weren’t as friendly, what if no one came? And he couldn’t find food, or anything else to survive on...his cyro pod was junk, couldn’t go back to sleep, he’d be dead in a week anyway…. “So I know how this game works, done it before in my own time, so what I am? Prisoner? Salvage claim? What do you people do? Slave worker? What? I go with you and im dead?” he eye’d her knife again, then back up, that weird growl of hers echoing around the dank room “ive got no choice if I want to save my own skin and survive, take me to your leader?” his eyesbrows lifted, attempting to make a joke from that last statement
 
Let's just get going I still need to find a few parts so the ai can help hobble the ship into better running.

Opting to ignore him for now she returned to her salvaging and ripping apart things to find stuff that might remotely match what she needed.

As for what you are or what worth you will be we will just have to see. Maybe find some exotic creature park for you to call home. Not that they would know how to take care of a single blood... Like I said they died off long ago. Even the few that added their blood to the rest of us are long gone. Each blood normally offers an ability... Except for you single bloods... Your bloods held no specialty to call on. Why is that... We're there no unique powers or traits among your kind?

She really didn't know what to do with him but she had been the one to find so perhaps time would reveal some use he must have to offer.

Cobble some different clothes to was well. More distinct less so uniform and singular. Gotta get you to blend in more.
 
Jack had to think fast, he took his options as he saw them, and no matter what at this point he was walking into the unknown. The only thing he had to hang on to was the fact that she could have attacked him, could have killed him, maybe over powered him, but she was here, arguing with him and only showing a hint of irritation with her knife tricks. Let's just get going I still need to find a few parts so the AI can help hobble the ship into better running. He gave only a seconds hesitation, making the decision that may very well end his life he began looking with her for parts, having her rattle off what she was looking for he managed to salvage parts from the other cryo tubes, computer consoles and power supplies. As for what you are or what worth you will be we will just have to see. Maybe find some exotic creature park for you to call home. Not that they would know how to take care of a single blood. “Oh good, shot galaxies away from my home and I’m the one to wind up in a zoo? Fantastic, “he quipped, sarcasm heavy in his voice, as he continued to listen to her talk Like I said they died off long ago. Even the few that added their blood to the rest of us are long gone He made his way around the bay, when she wasn’t looking he slipped two knives from the dead ship commands pod storage into his pockets Each blood normally offers an ability... Except for you single bloods... Your bloods held no specialty to call on. Why is that... We're there no unique powers or traits among your kind? he paused as he considered “Ummm, no, Genetic alteration had only just become a part of our history before we launched, “

He hesitated, but he didn’t know what kind of medicine they had now, they could probably tell if he was scanned “I underwent modification, enhanced senses, hand/eye co-ordination and reflexes, I was trained to fight, but somehow, I don’t think my hand to hand will be much use at this point, I’m better with a gun anyway…” he muttered, looking at what she was wearing, Cobble some different clothes to was well. More distinct less so uniform and singular. Gotta get you to blend in more he frowned, her speech pattern was slightly difficult for his translator to make out, sighing he looked down at the drab standard white/grey cryo suit they all had to wear “well, I had clothes, in a storage locker, but “ he looked around “well, so much for that….but I can do this” he shook out his left arm revealing a small device on his wrist, giving it a few taps it beeped, and the white/grey color shifted through the spectrum, settling on a black/dark grey modification that gave him a more business look

“well……….this will have to do, lets go?” he sighed
 
She moved to the next area and found someone else scavenging as well. The creature hissed till it registered who she was. She walked up and pat the massive silverback with dragonic wings and a near human face.

Talox... It's been a while...

The creature nodded and snorted before spotting the man with her and began sniffing at the air.
 
Jack muttered and cursed to himself, watching to see what she was picking at and what she was trying to salvage he too began looking. Continually cursing his situation, they salvaged for a good hour till he’d heard something? a hiss? there a leak somewhere? darting his eyes around he watched as the female approached somebody, somebody he hadn’t heard coming. While she seemed familiar with him he narrowed his eyes, taking in the brutes hulking nature he once again began looking around for a bigger weapon then the makeshift knives he carried. Gliding closer he squared his shoulders, returning the look to the man, was he sniffing the air? Fucking freak….. Jack crossed his arms and leaned against a piece of study metal, a bored expression on his face as the hulking thing before him narrowed its eyes and sniffed again, jack couldn’t miss the wings that seemed to sprout the things back “what the hell is this? King Kong meets Godera?” he muttered, staring the male eye to eye, showing how unimpressed he was while trying to keep his composure, this day? Month? Whenever the fuck just kept getting stranger. Jack looking to the female he quirked a brow “Boyfriend of yours? Hope he knows we’re not fucking, I’d hate to have to kill him….” He quipped
 
With all the appearance of the old earth mountain gorilla with twice the size and wings the creature snorted again. Clearly not pleased that he could not pinpoint the species scent of his friends I'll mannered associate?

Careful... He could kill you before you had the chance to draw that knife of yours.

She smirked but to cease the big man's sniffing.

Yeah yeah took on rookie... Cut him some slack he just woke up when we got here.
 
Jack grew increasingly unsteady as he watched the beast before him, his eyes beginning the scan the area, quickly memorizing the location of any potential weapon he could use if this big bastard decided to attack, although listening to the women talk irritated him more and he glared “yea ok, just give it away, listen lady…..” his anger flaring he glared harder “Rookie? Rookie? That’s what you’re calling me now? Minutes ago you were calling me your salvage, “ a Snarl from the big bastard halted jalt and instantly cooled his temper, realizing at that second he’d just made a tactical error Salvage? it snarled and turned to the women Rookie? Or Salvage? What is it Taylanna, cause im telling you now, he doesn’t smell like any spacer ive ever met, what is he? Talox growled as he shuffled, his nose flaring again as he scented the air his growl only deepening as his wings flexed and rippled, Jack again looking around, his body tensing, he had a feeling a fight was coming and he licked his lips, his mind working quick “Salvage, you heard me King Kong, she woke my ass up from my Cryo tube on he far side of this………well…whatever you call it…..” jack looked to the women, then back to the grape ape hoping the gamble of pitting them against each other and maybe finding another way to escape might pan out………or well………he’d be dead and wouldn’t have to worry about it, either way, someone else on this station meant there was another ship? Posssiblity that he could take,

“So when did they make flying monkeys a reality?” he quipped,
 
Taylanna stood her ground.

Yeah salvage... You seriously think I would take on anyone that braindead as to miss the most simple of bluffs Talox?

She laughed slowly so did Talox.

Salvage law z17. All yours Taylanna.

He turned hearing some of the comments and snorted.

So he is from the old humans... Before the little hairless ones found flight out here... Good luck with that.

The big creature walked away.
 
Shit...... was all that jack thought as the thing just laughed at him his pride and what he thought might be a way of escaping deflated, his shoulder slumping and his face loosing its tension he tossed the knife he held aside “fuck..” he said quietly on an exhale finding a knocked over piece of metal he let his body slump onto it as the situation was hammered home “so this is real………all of it……” he looked to Taylanna, “this is real? Im…………..im the last one? As far as you know…” it seemed like his mind was finally starting to function, he’d been hoping for a fight, from the minute he left his cryo pod he been wishing for someone to wake him up and tell him they’d arrived, hoped that this all was just one big dream, or trick, but the fight he’d wanted had just walked away laughing at him, nothing had trained him for this, he was truly lost in space, no guiding star, no point of navigation, he couldn’t help it but start laughing bordering on almost hysterical, all the tension, all the denial, real life had just kicked him in the balls and whatever gods he thought he once believed in were having a joyous laugh at this, Millions of lifetimes of evolution, the “superior “ race on the planet “oh yea lets explore space and colonize expand human race, and now here he was, alone, someone’s trophy from a time lost, his race, dead, the “old humans” god wasn’t that a gut punch, After quite a few minutes he was finally able to compose himself and bring his insane laughter under control.

Shaking his head he continued chuckling for a few minutes then took a few deep breaths, once more looking to Taylanna, “So this is it then………” he sighed “My names Jack, Jack Tyler, and I guesss, by whatever big foot there was talking about, some salvage law, I’m yours….” Jack sighed again, seeming resigned to his fate, “so whats your name, or do I just call you hotty?”
 
She smirked suspecting his comment of calling her hotty was some ancient compliment or something.

Taylanna... Taylanna Azen. Frankly I could use some crew... For now however I have a ship to fix and supplies to bargain for... Let's go.

Turning she started to walk away.

For what it's worth my kind... We are kinda obsolete too... Welcome to Lost souls space station... At the far end of nowhere. Just chunk of metal of the Fringe of known space.
 
"Taylanna........" Jack made a face of ascent "not bad, definitely unique," he said, and looked around. They worked in silence for a while, Jack needing time to gather his thoughts, he didnt like the situation when he first woke up, still didnt like it now, but for the time being it seemed that he still had little choice, but the fact Taylanna said she was looking for crew, well, he could do that, Perhaps somewhere down the road he'd be able to find the answer's he sought but for now he had to help a pretty lady repair a ship, For what it's worth my kind... We are kinda obsolete too... Welcome to Lost souls space station... At the far end of nowhere. Just chunk of metal of the Fringe of known space. he gave a snort and shook his head, sifting through a junk pile "Well, at least the name here is fitting, " he looked around

"Tell me about yourself, what do you mean your obsolete? this is all new to me," he wasnt lieing, he was curious now as his rage and drive to escape had finally let his brain take over and allow him to have rational thought again. He followed here around the abandoned station picking up odd's and ends, even managed to find a few old blasters that appeared to be in working order but just needed a tune up, finding a slight curved piece of sheet steel he found some sturdy electrical wire and fashioned a harness with it, using holes in the he looped the wiring around "there, now we have a sled, we can put shit on it and drag it along with us instead of carrying shit"
 
We are warriors... Soldiers... Killers... Only there are no more wars. Every region has become "civilized" and we are no longer needed so...

She shrugged.

We wander... With no other skills we are... Obsolete. This space station many of us call home. Others call whatever ships we can salvage home. We dwell on the outskirts... The fringes of space. Through two doors and up one level are bars gambling trade stations for ship salvage fighting arenas and the remains of the most sought after warriors wasting away there. That is what I mean.

She nodded to the sled.
 
Back
Top