Lyrics Reminder

Sammael Bard

Suit Up
I have a few songs in my mind who's lyrics are too awesome to pass up. I plan to incorporate these lyrics into my story. I tend to forget about these, so I decided to post a thread here.

Anyone interested in this idea can add their own favorite lyrics to this thread, or can borrow this idea for their own story.

The Songs can be from any category (Blues, R&B, Hip-hop, Soul, rap etc.) as long as you feel that they are good.

The Soulful Bard.

P.S. General rules such as 'No Trolling' and 'No Rude comments' are still applicable :)

ETA: I'm lining all the songs mentioned to avoid a repeat over by myself.

Ugly by Bon Jon Jovi

Stevie Nicks - White Winged Dove.

Daylight by Maroon 5

Nothing by The Script

Billionaire (Feat. Bruno Mars) - Travie McCoy

"Broken" by Seether

Valentine's Day by Linkin Park

The Requiem by Linkin Park

You're Beautiful by James Blunt

Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day

One More Night by Maroon 5

From John Prine - In Spite Of Ourselves

Hows That by the Aussie band Sherbert

Apologize by One Republic

10cc's ICEBERG

B.B.King- -"Nobody loves me but my mamma, and she
might be jivin' too."

Show 'em (What you're made of) by Backstreet Boys

The Only Time by Nine inch Nails

Suck by Nine Inch Nails

Reznor's Hurt and Johnny Cash's version of Hurt

NIN version of Adam Ant's "Physical"

Type O Negative, "Christian Woman"

Pieces by Sum4

Interpol, "The New"

Demons by Imagine Dragons

A Hayes Carll song (better known for "She Left Me For Jesus") suggested by SikFuk

Randy Newman - She's a real emotional girl

Best of Me by Sum41

Breakeven by The Script

river by prefab sprout

Last edited:
Ugly by Jon Bon Jovi (Album: Destination Anywhere)

This song refuses to get out of my head, despite it being played hundreds of time. It goes something like this:

"If you're ugly, I'm ugly too
In your eyes the sky's a different blue
If you could see yourself like others do
You'd wish you were as beautiful as you, yeah

And I wish I was a camera sometimes
So I could take your picture with my mind
Put it in a frame for you to see
How beautiful you really are to me"

Just makes me want to write an inspiring story where the protagonist fights the stereotypes of his contemporaries, and rise to become a successful person of his own right.

A story I had read was in Mind Control, where the woman was scarred and rendered ugly by a horrendous accident, but the protagonist looks beyond her looks and accepts her for who she is.

Stevie Nicks - White Winged Dove.

These inspired two stories.

“Just like the white winged dove
Sings a song, sounds like she's singing
Ooo, ooo, ooo”

Daylight by Maroon 5 (Album: Overexposed)

This song is going to be incorporated into the third chapter of a story I've already written up. It goes like:

"Here I am waiting
I'll have to leave soon
Why am I holding on?
We knew this day would come
We knew it all along
How did it come so fast?

Sets up the tone for desperation, a sort of hopelessness that is bound to come from that indefinite seperation from your loved one.

"This is our last night but it's late
And I'm trying not to sleep
Cause I know, when I wake, I will have to slip away

And when the daylight comes I'll have to go
But tonight I'm gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we'll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close... "

Just beautiful.

The actual song is accompanied with a rhythmic beat, that sounds like a premonition of sorts and adds to the eerie feeling that I conjure up with the scene in my mind.

Nothing by The Script (Album: Science and Faith)

A song for a perfectly emotional Loving Wives story, where she is accused of something she never did. By the time our protagonist realizes his mistake, it's too late.

"Am I better off dead?
Am I better off a quitter?
They say I'm better off now
Than I ever was with her
As they take me to my local down the street
I'm smiling but I'm dying trying not to drag my feet."

Sadness, remorse and all are expressed precisely.

"They say a few drinks will help me to forget her
But after one too many I know that I'll never
Only they can’t see where this is gonna end
They all think I'm crazy but to me it's perfect sense.

And my mates are all there trying to calm me down
'Cause I'm shouting your name all over town
I'm swearing if I go there now
I can change her mind, turn it all around"

But it's too late...

"And I know that I'm drunk but I’ll say the words
And she'll listen this time even though they’re slurred
So I dialed her number and confessed to her
I'm still in love but all I heard

Was nothing (nothing, nothing, nothing)"

I have a few songs in my mind who's lyrics are too awesome to pass up. I plan to incorporate these lyrics into my story. I tend to forget about these, so I decided to post a thread here.

Anyone interested in this idea can add their own favorite lyrics to this thread, or can borrow this idea for their own story.

The Songs can be from any category (Blues, R&B, Hip-hop, Soul, rap etc.) as long as you feel that they are good.

The Soulful Bard.

P.S. General rules such as 'No Trolling' and 'No Rude comments' are still applicable :)

One thing you should bear in mind is that song lyrics are copyright protected. You need permission to include more than a small portion.

Ah yes...

One thing you should bear in mind is that song lyrics are copyright protected. You need permission to include more than a small portion.

I searched the website before posting this thread and got most of my materials from this site (Clickie!)

I'll quote a portion from that page:

The music industry is pretty vigilant about song lyrics,” Cook says. “This is especially true if you’re using the lyrics in a novel to progress the story or add atmosphere. If you’re a music critic reviewing a CD, you have more leeway under fair use.”

I don't plan to actually use the song in my story, just take an idea from it.

Of course, this thread can be regarded as mostly to critique the songs.

If I use any song in my writings, I'll definitely obtain the necessary permissions.

Billionaire (Feat. Bruno Mars) - Travie McCoy.

This song works just fine for a humorous story about a wandering tramp who dreams of becoming rich.

I wanna be a billionaire
So fucking bad.
Buy all of the things
I never had...

Daydreaming about riches and building castles in the air is never far behind our protagonist :D

Calls for some serious plot bunnies, this song.

Wake me up by Avicii.

A story for an under-construction sci-fi story of mine resonates with the lyrics of this song. If I ever get published, then these lines are going on the front pages:

"Feeling my way through the darkness
Guided by a beating heart
I can't tell where the journey will end
But I know where to start...

Although the music of this song is jolly and goody feeling and defies the eerie theme of my story, its lyrics do just fine.

This song fit SWB to the T and I used a few lines at the end of it

Song is great for any type of tragic or sad romance especially one where one half of it has series issues.

Music
"Broken" by Seether

I wanted you to know I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
I keep your photograph, I know it serves me well
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

'Cause I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

The worst is over now and we can breathe again
I wanna hold you high, you steal my pain away
There's so much left to learn, and no one left to fight
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

[2x]
'Cause I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

Last edited:
This song fit SWB to the T and I used a few lines at the end of it

Song is great for any type of tragic or sad romance especially one where one half of it has series issues.

Music
"Broken" by Seether

I write this as I hear this song.

The background guitar tune is so famous that you can't believe it. Countless movies have used this tune with their trailers and in-movie tune.

It does fit your SWB series, with the theme it has.

Dark and a bit haunting.

Perfect.

Valentine's Day by Linkin Park (Album: Minutes to Midnight)

I've been a LP fan since my childhood. I love 'em to death.

This song clashes with a funeral scene in my story. A major character dies which evokes such reaction from his beloved.

Slow, heart-rending and a rocking finish - This remains one of my most favorite songs of all times.

My insides all turned to ash, so slow
And blew away as I collapsed, so cold
A black wind took them away, from sight
And held the darkness over day, that night.

I'll give my arse on a plate to have a few verses of this song published with my story.

I avoid using lyrics in stories for copyright reasons, but I often have a song in mind while I'm writing. This one's on heavy rotation at the moment for a nonhuman piece I'm working on:

Animal whisperings
Intoxicate the night
Hypnotize the desperate
Slow motion light
Wash away into the rain
Blood, milk and sky
Hollow moons illuminate
And beauty never dies
Running wild running blind
I breathe the body deep
A thousand years beside myself
I do not sleep
Seduce the world it never screams
Dead water lies
Ride the only one who knows
And beauty never dies

The Requiem by Linkin Park (Album: A Thousand Suns)

Another one of my LP favorites, which kinda sets the theme for pandemonium and chaos. The soft, hallowed voice is something that I wanna play when the hero's broken body is carried by pallbearers to his grave...

God bless us everyone,
We're a broken people living under loaded gun.
And it can't be outfought,
It can't be outdone,
It can't be outmatched,
It can't be outrun.

Amen to this song.

I've got a number of stories kind of on hold mentally that have a basis in songs. Sometimes the song itself gives a good framework that just needs some filling out, other times there's a line or two that sparks something.

I write my own songs, but I (mostly) know better than to include them in my stories. I do throw in odd bits of lyrics, modern and traditional. JENNY BE FAIR is based on a folksong.

I have a sick notion in the back of my head about writing a story-cycle base on old Tijuana Brass song titles -- A Taste of Honey (many possibilities), Tijuana Taxi (in Group Sex), The Lonely Bull (an LW cuck-revenge tale), Spanish Flea (probably non-con), Whipped Cream (BDSM of course). I've actually let the Taste of Honey idea spin-off into A TASTE OF INCEST in various flavors, but they otherwise have no lyrical connection.

I noticed one author here (somebody help me!) who story titles are Beatles songs. Ancient history -- might as well do Mozart. Of course, The Magic Flute has GM possibilities...

I usually begin my story with a self-composed poem or famous words. I generally avoid copy-pasting lyrics into my stories due to copyright reasons.

Although, I really want to quote a few lines into my story, it can be done only after obtaining the necessary permission from the copyright holder.

I'm a sucker for women who write their own lyric and tell a story. Sheryl Crow has always been one of my favorites.

I did a story loosely based on All I Wanna Do in the Tuesday Night Music Club album. It used some imagery of the lyric, but I didn't quote any of it. Mostly I just developed the characters a little and let them go.

http://www.literotica.com/s/tuesday-night-music-club

The story is free standing meaning it doesn't require the reader to have any knowledge at all of the original song. I only did the story because of the graphic imagery she often includes was stuck in my head. I think it's possible to still have copyright problems if you take too much of the original idea even if you don't directly quote lyric.

rj

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for women who write their own lyric and tell a story. Sheryl Crow has always been one of my favorites.

I did a story loosely based on All I Wanna Do in the Tuesday Night Music Club album. It used some imagery of the lyric, but I didn't quote any of it. Mostly I just developed the characters a little and let them go.

http://www.literotica.com/s/tuesday-night-music-club

The story is free standing meaning it doesn't require the reader to have any knowledge at all of the original song. I only did the story because of the graphic imagery she often includes was stuck in my head. I think it's possible to still have copyright problems if you take too much of the original idea even if you don't directly quote lyric.

rj

I'm up for songs fitting the theme of my story scenes, not the other way around :)

I agree that you have to obtain a permission from the copyright holders for using their lyrics in your book.

I think it's possible to still have copyright problems if you take too much of the original idea even if you don't directly quote lyric.
Paraphrasing an idea is new work, not copying: legal. Short quotes are fair use: legal. Longer quotes may be legal, depending on how your use is structured. Thus, quote a line; comment on it; quote the next line; comment; etc. For example:

Love is a burning thing

When I first saw him, I felt a heat wave sweep over me. How did that happen?

And it makes a fiery ring

I felt dizzy, everything spinning madly around me, swirling, throbbing, glowing.

Bound by wild desire

My body said NOW! My mind said WAIT! My soul said DO YOU HAVE A CHOICE?

I fell into a ring of fire

It was inevitable. I knew I was doomed. I welcomed my doom. Kill me now.

You're Beautiful by James Blunt

This is a classic song that I've retained into my playlist for an indefinite period of time. It goes something like this:

"You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw your face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you."

Heartfelt and emotional, this should be up for your liking.

This is a classic song that I've retained into my playlist for an indefinite period of time. It goes something like this:

"You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw your face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you."

Heartfelt and emotional, this should be up for your liking.

This song is one of my favorites. I love the lines at the end of song -

"But it's time to face the truth,
I'll never be with you..."

Suitable for a story with one-night stands and failed romance relationships :)

Back