Boundaries (closed)

Laura cried for just a little bit longer and then sighed deeply.

"Thank you. I think I am going to rest for a little bit. Just stretch out and clear my head."

Laura kissed him on the cheek, and then stood up and pulled on a warm sweater.
 
Jason got up off of Laura's bed. He looked at her. "I am going to go out for a walk... just walk around the grounds a little bit and get more familiar with the place. I will be back in a little bit."

Jason watched as Laura put on a sweater and laid down on her bed. He closed the door behind him as he left the room. He walked over to the refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of water.

Jason just started to walk around the property. He had no particular purpose. Well, none that he would admit to. Deep down inside he was wondering if he would come across the place where Laura's husband had been killed, but he had no idea where that was.
 
Laura curled up on her bed. She sighed deeply. It felt better to have talked to someone, to tell someone how she felt. She rested for a while, not really sleeping, but just sort of shaking off her emotional outburst.

She got up and padded out barefoot to the porch. She stretched and then went to the kitchen to make a pitcher of tea.

She filled the watering can and made her way around the house, watering the shrubs.

She watched the horizon, looking for Jason.
 
As Jason walked the property he took note of sections of fence with holes in it and other sections of fence that had fallen into a stat of general disrepair. He wondered what he got himself into. This place seemed like a lot of work. He had come here for a place to just relax.

While walking Jason noticed a twenty foot section of fence missing. Through that section of fence were multiple sets of tire tracks. The ruts from the tires were old. This must have been where it happened. This must have been where they took the cattle out from. He stopped and just took it all in. Was Jared killed here too?

After standing there for quite some time Jason decided to head back to the house. He took his time. Jason wondered what he would do when and if someone approached him about buying what remained of the herd.

As he approached the house he saw Laura on the porch. He waved in her direction as he got closer. When he got up on the porch Jason looked to her.... "Feeling any better?"
 
Laura had her sweater wrapped around her tightly but she was smiling and barefoot.

"I made some iced tea and watered the plants. The garden is a little overgrown and I need to put some time back into it." She took a deep breath. "I feel a lot better. I just needed a little time."

Laura smiled at Jason. "Did you have a good walk?"
 
Jason looked at Laura. She seemed to be in a much better place than when he had left her in her room. There was a little bit of a smile on her face when she mentioned working in the garden.

"I could use some tea. I bet you do make a great batch, and I am a bit thirsty after my walk." He motioned for Laura to go in first and then he followed her into the house. He knew he shouldn't be doing it, but he kept allowing his eyes to wander over her wonderful body.

"My walk was okay. It looks like the fence needs a lot of work, or we are going to lose what is left of the livestock. It got me to thinking about selling off the remainder of the herd again." Jason looked at Laura for a reaction. He wondered how she really felt about him selling the cattle.
 
Laura looked out at the horizon.

"Those cattle have caused a great deal of heartache."

Laura sipped her tea. SHe wove her hair into a quick braid.

"You have to do what you think is best for you. You could get more horses, or grow crops, or just enjoy the land. You could rent the pasture land out to another rancher."

Laura could still see Jared in her mind. She could see the holes cut in the fence and the ruts the tires had cut into the pasture. She steadied herself on the porchrail.
 
Jason walked over behind Laura. He saw her steady herself on the porch rail. He put his hands on her shoulders to help steady her. He knew that she was still upset about Jared's death and there were a lot of memories here at the ranch. He wondered if it was a bad idea for her to still be here.

"Laura, I know that this is tough for you ... being here on the ranch where Jared died. If you think that you need to move on and move away from the ranch I will totally understand. I will pay to have Maeve transported wherever you want."

He waited for a minute. "I don't want you to think I am sending you away, because nothing could be further from the truth. I have truly enjoyed you being here and you have been incredibly helpful to me, but I want you to do what you think is best for you." He squeezed her shoulders lightly.
 
Laura smiled at Jason.

"I am not ready to leave. That day will come. But for now this place still feels like home."

Laura shrugged off her emotions.

"I don't want to think about sad things any more."

Laura motioned at him to follow her. She lead him to the pond. There were cattle drinking. It was peaceful and quiet except for a few cows mooing.
 
Jason stood there quietly as they looked at the cattle drinking at the pond. It was peaceful. It was the kind of peaceful that he had come here for. He had no idea what he had gotten himself involved in, but he was sure that whatever it was that it could be worked out.

He looked at the cattle and he wondered what he should do. Would it be easier to just let them go, and not have to worry about the problems Laura's husband Jared had to deal with? Those problems were certainly what resulted in his murder.
 
Back
Top