The Official Author's Hangout Winter Holidays 2012 Contest Support Thread

When you speak of aggressive sweeps, I've always been curious-and I know you don;t know- what constitutes a "legitimate" low score?

They obviously leave some 1's and 2's or everyone would have scores in the 49.'s or outright 5's.

So I wonder how they determine which ones "stick"?

Being geeks both Dark and I have some very good ideas of how the sweeps are run nd on what criteria votes are swept. The problem is that saying anything just gives the trolls more information to try and get around the sweeps. One in particular has been trying to get that information for years.

Manu is another geek and pretty savvy so I'd say if it's swept it needed sweeping. But as with any automated program of it's type and yes many are used in certain ways by a lot of sites, not just here, there are things that the computer can't determine. So it ends up taking some of the good with the bad.

A better solution than the sweeps would be for every voter to be registered and every vote listed. Trolls would show up like sore thumbs.
 
A better solution than the sweeps would be for every voter to be registered and every vote listed. Trolls would show up like sore thumbs.

Amen to that. Maybe after the contest is over, release the entry to anonymous voting.
 
Being geeks both Dark and I have some very good ideas of how the sweeps are run nd on what criteria votes are swept. The problem is that saying anything just gives the trolls more information to try and get around the sweeps. One in particular has been trying to get that information for years.

Manu is another geek and pretty savvy so I'd say if it's swept it needed sweeping. But as with any automated program of it's type and yes many are used in certain ways by a lot of sites, not just here, there are things that the computer can't determine. So it ends up taking some of the good with the bad.

A better solution than the sweeps would be for every voter to be registered and every vote listed. Trolls would show up like sore thumbs.

I agree completely. Registered voters would cut down on trolling especially if its one author trolling another. because then that author would have to worry about retaliation.

It would also weed out duplicate "cheer leading" votes and make things more accurate and fair at the end of it all.

The registered user thing has come up many times and always gets shot down under the guise of "well there are people here who will leave if they cannot be anonymous

Maybe that is true, but I cannot understand that thought process. Even if you have a handle here you're anon, unless of course TX Rad is on your birth certificate.
 
Who says there are any 1s left?

A single four drops any score above 4.0. A three drops it even more. When the bulk of scores are above 4.0, every vote that isn't 5 has a negative effect on the score.

In a contest, where your story is exposed to a wider range of readers through top billing on the New list and the contest page, there are going to be more of those votes from outside the core readership who would normally read a story because of the author or the category. Those votes are far more likely to be less than 5.

Likewise, comments made on contest stories show that voters tend to widen their normal range of voting during contests. It's not the typical 5, 1, or nothing so many readers stick to on a day-to-day basis. There are far more 4s and 3s than most would usually bother with.

Unless you're watching your score religiously every few minutes, 24/7, you're not going to have much idea what votes were cast or removed other than the odd outlier cast or swept during dry spells. The dramatic rise in score that comes with the sweeps indicates that the bulk of all votes below 3 most likely vanish into the ether, and they may all be removed as a matter of course for all we know.

4s and 3s are perfectly capable of producing almost all of the final scores seen after all sweeps have run.
 
Who says there are any 1s left?

A single four drops any score above 4.0. A three drops it even more. When the bulk of scores are above 4.0, every vote that isn't 5 has a negative effect on the score.

In a contest, where your story is exposed to a wider range of readers through top billing on the New list and the contest page, there are going to be more of those votes from outside the core readership who would normally read a story because of the author or the category. Those votes are far more likely to be less than 5.

Likewise, comments made on contest stories show that voters tend to widen their normal range of voting during contests. It's not the typical 5, 1, or nothing so many readers stick to on a day-to-day basis. There are far more 4s and 3s than most would usually bother with.

Unless you're watching your score religiously every few minutes, 24/7, you're not going to have much idea what votes were cast or removed other than the odd outlier cast or swept during dry spells. The dramatic rise in score that comes with the sweeps indicates that the bulk of all votes below 3 most likely vanish into the ether, and they may all be removed as a matter of course for all we know.

4s and 3s are perfectly capable of producing almost all of the final scores seen after all sweeps have run.

Makes sense.

But that brings about something that I actually started a thread about some time ago. Is there such a thing ever as a legitimate 1 or 2 vote.

Whenever we, as authors, see a one or two we think "troll"

But it is fully possible(although we hate to say it) that someone could read our story and...not like it!:eek:

So to me not every 1/2 should be erased.

Because again, as discussed before if that is the case that is a huge benefit to stories that receive low vote totals.

Personally I would love the idea of a "blind contest" you see title, but the author is not listed anywhwere, but I know there are holes there as well.
 
its been raining garbage this morning ... going to keep me busy this weekend...

nazi_1663659c.jpg

give a dumb texan a can of spray paint and he thinks he’s hitler…

The following is post # 1256 on the a.i.r. contest support thread. Our AHland racist also posted exactly the same thing in posts #1001, 1004, 1008, 1010, 1012, 1015, 1022, 1024, 1026, 1030, 1034, 1044, 1046, 1051, 1055, 1061, 1065, 1068, 1075, 1076, 1078, 1104, 1120, 1123, 1128, 1133, 1140, 1142, 1146, 1152, 1155, 1157, 1162, 1168, 1170, 1172, 1175, 1176, 1179, 1181, 1188, 1191, 1194, 1196, 1198, 1204, 1208, 1211, 1221, 1223, 1231, 1235, 1237, 1244, 1246, 1248, 1255, and now 1256. The same post EIGHT times on the first page. FIVE on the next page! SIX on the third page! TWO times on the fourth. THREE on the fifth page. FIVE on the sixth. EIGHT on the seventh page. EIGHTH on the eighth page. FIVE on the ninth page. SIX on the tenth page. Now he’s up to TWO on the eleventh. The same post 57 times. He's now up to 270 times posting the same thing OVERALL (unless I’ve missed a few). Mind you this isn't a record for him.

And no, still haven’t heard back from L :cattail: & M :D on why its okay for their house dog to post garbage on various ScouriesWorld threads but it’s not okay to return the favor and identify him for the racist he is. And no I’m not surprised…

image.php
image.php
image.php

Hate enablers in AHland… Sad…

Why would our tiger lily threadmistress stand with the stupid people? Simple jealousy? I guess the a.i.r. thread has been making hers look bad...

post #1256 on the A.I.R. Contest Support Thread. Let's all look at our AHland racists posts. We're prepared to expose him for what he is...sad really...

image.php

[size=+1]Please join with me and read my Winter Holiday Contest Story: Christmas Present! [/size]
okay i didn't really write it but it is sooooo good!
fucktard1.jpg

Yes I think that just about covers tex’s qualities…

[SIZE="+3"] WELCOME TO THE FAKE CONTEST THREAD. AND REMEMBER A.I.R. RUNS THE MOST HONEST CONTESTS – THANKS. [/SIZE]
made-up-fucktard2.jpg


But for information and support of the A.I.R. Summer Lovin’ Contest, please go here:

the Authors’ Hangout LITEROTICA/A.I.R. 2012-2015 Themed Contests Support Thread…
 
[size=+2]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)[/size]

2012 Xmas/New Years Contest


tumblr_mbj6f8tLLq1rbq0iso1_500.jpg

a.i.r.’s newest contest…

It's December 1st and we are now accepting entries! Good luck all.

But please no NH, SF, NE or Pauletta stories. It's Xmas for crying out loud... and ace, only one entry per author ... okay?
 
This message is hidden because lovecraft68 is on your ignore list.

This message is hidden because scouries is on your ignore list.

This message is hidden because ScouriesWorld is on your ignore list.



Tweedledee, Tweedledum, and Tweedledumbest of all, all together. :D
 
coversation overheard in the palace?

image.php

"oh look MANU, ace has scouries and lovergirl on IGNORE!"

image.php

"Yeah right!"

image.php

"read his post darling."

image.php

"our pilot chases lovergirl so closely half the time his head is up her derriere."

image.php

"he does have weird taste doesn't he?"

image.php

"And don't think for a second he isn't checking out that cock pic!"

image.php

"do you really think so?"

image.php

"How muchh are we paying him anyway to toe the party line? I just hate it that we have to pay elitist snobs like him"

image.php

"you only get what you pay for MANU - you know that!"

image.php

"if that's the best he can do he isn't earning his keep!"
 
Contest analysis - Winter Holidays Contest 2012

Good evening. The rhizopods tell me that there are 74 stories in the competition to date, with an average score of 4.17 from an average of 262 votes. Stories had an average of 22,455 views, an average of 7 favorites, and an average of 8 comments. The average ratio of votes to views is 1.23%. The average number of pages is 2.4, with the longest story being 12 pages.

So far there have been a total of 17,602 votes, 1,661,695 views, 558 favorites and 617 comments.

The standard deviation of scores (from the average of 4.17) is 0.42 and the standard deviation of votes (from the average of 262) is 264. The median score is 4.20, the median number of votes is 148 and the median number of pages is 2. The top 25% of scores are 4.55 or above and the bottom 25% of scores are 3.88 or below.

Sweeps

Some votes have been reduced (swept) since the start of the competition. A total of 13 stories have had their votes adjusted, with 13 sweeps resulting in a new score that day which is higher than before and 1 sweep resulting in a new score that day which is lower. There were a total of 96 votes swept, being an average of 7 per swept story. The maximum number of votes swept for a single story was 46. (Figures based on toplists, and may not be totally accurate).


Categories entered (alphabetic order)

  • BDSM (5 stories)
  • Erotic Couplings (9 stories)
  • Exhibitionist & Voyeur (1 story)
  • Fetish (1 story)
  • First Time (2 stories)
  • Gay Male (8 stories)
  • Group Sex (7 stories)
  • Humor & Satire (2 stories)
  • Illustrated (1 story)
  • Incest/Taboo (10 stories)
  • Lesbian Sex (5 stories)
  • Loving Wives (3 stories)
  • Mature (1 story)
  • Mind Control (1 story)
  • Non-Erotic (4 stories)
  • NonConsent/Reluctance (1 story)
  • NonHuman (2 stories)
  • Romance (8 stories)
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy (3 stories)

New stories today


Authors entered so far are:

allthewayin, amandablaze, AndrewJackson, Ashson, Belongs2Beth (3), BenLong, BuckyDuckman, Butterflies512, Cinner (2), datedsoul, DG Hear, D_Lynn, EdgarPleaseCain (2), Eros5150, friskygirl51, geronimo_appleby (2), Harlock606, HeyAll (2), inqusitivepuppy (2), Jasmynn_Brown, JayDavid, kms1987, LaRascasse, la_chica, LesLumens, luvthedesserts (2), MagicMouse, MarieWriter, MistressLynn, MSTarot, m_storyman_x, NaokoSmith, Naughtily_Written, northlander, petitmort, PrincessErin, PrincessKashmir (2), qhml1, reddirtwriter, RedHairedandFriendly (2), Rockinworld, silkstockingslover, SilverSparrow, sirhugs, SpotInTheSand, sr71plt (6), SusanJillParker, TinyBeth (2), tmoney249, Tx Tall Tales, TxRad (2), Untameable_Guy, voluptuary_manque, YDB95 (2), ZenJinni, Zrnko_Pisku

Disclaimer

Because of the way this site works these figures will not be totally up-to-date. For a given story the score shown on:

  • The category page
  • The author's page
  • The toplists page

can all be different.

Also it appears that various pages update at different times of the day, sometimes quite infrequently.

Please do not PM me asking for more detailed information. I do not wish to skew contest results by giving a target for voting manipulation.

Contest page: Winter Holidays Contest 2012
 
Seven more days folks.

I might just get one more finished myself.
 
sorry tiger girl but the load of racism just keeps getting deeper and deeper...

it has to go somewhere

Rwanda-Genocide-1994.jpg

why oh why would our racist texan smile at this? How sick is he?

The following is post # 1257 on the a.i.r. contest support thread. Our AHland racist also posted exactly the same thing in posts #1001, 1004, 1008, 1010, 1012, 1015, 1022, 1024, 1026, 1030, 1034, 1044, 1046, 1051, 1055, 1061, 1065, 1068, 1075, 1076, 1078, 1104, 1120, 1123, 1128, 1133, 1140, 1142, 1146, 1152, 1155, 1157, 1162, 1168, 1170, 1172, 1175, 1176, 1179, 1181, 1188, 1191, 1194, 1196, 1198, 1204, 1208, 1211, 1221, 1223, 1231, 1235, 1237, 1244, 1246, 1248, 1255, 1256 and now 1257. The same post EIGHT times on the first page. FIVE on the next page! SIX on the third page! TWO times on the fourth. THREE on the fifth page. FIVE on the sixth. EIGHT on the seventh page. EIGHTH on the eighth page. FIVE on the ninth page. SIX on the tenth page. Now he’s up to THREE on the eleventh. The same post 58 times. He's now up to 271 times posting the same thing OVERALL (unless I’ve missed a few). Mind you this isn't a record for him.

And no, still haven’t heard back from L&M on why its okay for their house dog to post garbage on various ScouriesWorld threads but it’s not okay to return the ffavor and identify him for the racist he is. No I’m not surprised…

image.php
image.php
image.php

Hate enablers in AHland… Sad…

post #1257 on the A.I.R. Contest Support Thread. Let's all look at our AHland racists posts. We're prepared to expose him for what he is...sad really...

image.php

[size=+1]Please join with me and read my Winter Holiday Contest Story: Christmas Present! [/size]
okay i didn't really write it but it is sooooo good!
fucktard1.jpg

Yes I think that just about covers tex’s qualities…

[SIZE="+3"] WELCOME TO THE FAKE CONTEST THREAD. AND REMEMBER A.I.R. RUNS THE MOST HONEST CONTESTS – THANKS. [/SIZE]
made-up-fucktard2.jpg


But for information and support of the A.I.R. Summer Lovin’ Contest, please go here:

the Authors’ Hangout LITEROTICA/A.I.R. 2012-2015 Themed Contests Support Thread…
 
Yes scouries your post has been reported for using my winter contest story title to misdirect people to your old crappy story.
 
Finished it, now I need to edit and I'll pop it in tomorrow night. THis thing was like pulling teeth.

But I have a decent idea for Valentine's day already.

I think I may actually take a shot at Romance. If anyone could break that trend of ridiculously high Romance scores it would be me!:D
 
Frikkin' child of mine has been acting the ass all day long and I have a headache from hell.

Only possible saving grace is that I had to get him up early this morning so I could go get some work done on the car and he hasn't had a nap. If he crashes, and I can get rid of this headache, I might be able to get some work done tonight on my story.
 
here's one for yyou contest fans. un-fucking-believable!

image.php


Congratulations to the July 2011 Reader's Choice Award Winners!
________________________________________
Manu and I would like to thank all the authors who submitted during the month, and all the other months for that matter! We've tallied the reader's votes, and are happy to announce the winners of our July People's Choice Awards.

First Place ($150 Cash Prize Winner):
Loose Ends Ch. 14 / TangledinYou (Interracial)

Second Place ($100 Cash Prize Winner):
Guardian Wolf Ch. 07 / DespairEternity (Non Human)

Third Place ($75 Cash Prize Winner):
Betrayal Ch. 05 / Nightimevisions (Not found)

Thanks again to everyone who voted, submitted, or was involved in Literotica in any way. You are all awesome!

Okay we sorta found the third story - it's a Sci-Fi one!!!! But something is definately strange going on here - this story isn't even up on the site? And Chapters 1-4 were just released.

Now this is a Sci-Fi conundrum - a time traveling story? This guuy nightvisions has out darkboyed darkboy! Or is this another dark ALT? Will this last July winner finally appear on the site this month? Will it come with a W? I wonder what score it will start with?

A 3 part series with 4 parts and a 5th to come? I luv the QUEEN!


Betrayal: 3 Part Series

Betrayal 00-01 (4.73) Is the begining the end?
Sci-Fi & Fantasy 11/16/12

Betrayal 02 (4.84) recovery.
Sci-Fi & Fantasy 11/19/12

Betrayal 03 (4.81)Truths of the past.
Sci-Fi & Fantasy 11/27/12

Betrayal 04 (x.xx)Enlightenment.
Sci-Fi & Fantasy 12/01/12

Surprise, surprise...:rolleyes:
 
:rolleyes: The author pulled the story to edit it, and is now releasing the edited chapters.

Click the "Biography" tab and it's all right there.
 
Well if nothing else putting a story in a category that rarely gets entries sure does get views.

I thought about trying for a third entry before the end, but I don't have another plot bunny and my muse (and what fans I have mustered in my short time on the site) are calling for me to return to my BDSM series. I don't know how to fit in a Holiday theme to that without skipping a whole bunch of stuff I had planned for those stories. Kind of funny since that started out with my story for the last contest.

Good luck everyone in the stretch.
 
I want to read a couple of stories in the Winter Contest. Are there any someone wants to recommend? I will vote and leave a comment.

Open to all genres.
 
Last edited:
Story submission dates


10 November 2012


12 November 2012


13 November 2012


14 November 2012


15 November 2012


16 November 2012


17 November 2012


18 November 2012


19 November 2012


20 November 2012


22 November 2012


23 November 2012


24 November 2012


26 November 2012


28 November 2012


29 November 2012


30 November 2012


1 December 2012

 
Back
Top