Jurassic Park: Trespasser

I'm standing in a grove of Glossopteris with real dinosaurs! First rule: Don't get separated from your group. Dumb ass! Get back with your group, dummy!

The walk is short, I do it at a brisk pace. I grab my gear and join the others. Wow! All the amenities. Megacorp money. If I had known I was staying at the Ritz, I won't have lugged camping gear. Don't feel like carrying all my gear upstairs, so I go for a main floor room at the end of the hall. I only brought one change of clothes. Lots of socks and underwear. One set of pants and shirt looks funny in the ample closet space.

Macs figures. I use Linux. I open my backpack and check the batteries on my laptop and sat phone. Then check my gun. It's a Taurus Judge loaded with .410 slugs. Enough to stop a Grizzly. Two boxes of shells. I stuff every thing back inside. Minus a bottle of Jameson's. I take that with me to the common room.

John Shepherd

I unloaded my bags and entered the facility, all seemed to be expensive and top-notch equipment. I found that despite the actual deception used to get me here, I actually looked forward to take a look at the facility, it did seem like an electronic engineer's wet dream. Sure I'm not a real Electronist, but I knew all there was to know about electronics to manage the job.

I entered the hallway and picked the first open room, placing the clothing, hard case and one of the bags down on the bed, I didn't really want to leave the weapons, but it would look suspicious if I carried a bag with me. With a heavy heart I left all my gear and exited the room, locking the door behind me. I joined the group and waited for Dr parker to lead on, I'd do a raconteur of my own when the time comes for me to look at the health of the electronic systems.

I finished unpacking the basics in mere minutes. I'd lived almost my whole life on the road, traveling from one place to another so my belongings were pretty minimal. I sat the last few necessary items on the sink in the bathroom and headed back downstairs to retrieve my last bag and start making lunch.

It took a minute but I always packed my bag the same way every time, call it an OCD quirk but I happened to like knowing exactly where all my things were. I found the small jar and sat it on the granite counter by the stove before lugging the bag upstairs and leaving it on my bed.

I rummaged around in the pantry and found the one item I wasn't sure the compound would have, thankfully there was a can of coconut milk in the back. I was really in the mood for this, and the curry paste in the jar was the best I'd ever had.

I started cooking absently, automatically almost. I'd made this coconut curry so many times it was like riding a bike. I knew the smell would draw everyone here. The onion and butter were simmering away while the zucchini, pea pods, red bell pepper, and chopped carrots waited in a neat assembly line on the oversized wooden cutting board. I was accustomed to using whatever vegetables were on hand, and it had never gone badly.

I dropped the carrots and bell pepper pieces in the pot and started the water for the rice while I waited for the others.

The smell of onions frying in butter has me salivating. Last thing I had to eat went overboard earlier. From the common area I can see Miss Harding prepping food. Actually all I can see is her backside from the other room. Nice bum!

"That smells like a great beginning to something, Miss Harding," I call in to the kitchen from the common area, "Is there anything I can do to help?"

I put the bottle of Irish whiskey on a coffee table. Looking around I peruse the movie selection. More Wayne than Eastwood but liveable.

"I wanted to talk to you all about the animals," I said as I moved past Dr. Harding in the kitchen. I couldn't help but take a glance at her concoction. The smell was incredible, too. I took my bottle of water to the table in the common room and sat down. I spotted a bottle of Irish whiskey on a coffee table and gave thumbs up.

"You've seen the resident stegosaurus," I told them. "While he is not a pet, he is quite docile and accustomed to humans. You will find the rest of the stegosaurs pretty much the same. They really don't pay much attention to people, and that will allow you to get pretty close to them. Be wary, though. They can snap in an instant and suddenly perceive you as a threat. Their tail spikes can take apart a Jeep in less than a minute.

"You'll also want to watch out for the triceratops. If you are observing them in a herd, you will notice the mothers move their calves into the inner circle and protect them. They will notice you and bleet and carry on, but for the most part won't bother you. However, should you see a baby by itself and think it would be a good time to get acquainted - don't. Mother trike is never far away and she will charge you and gore you with any or all of her here horns. They are fiercely protective of their young and herd members. We have three adults tagged with gps markers which I will show you when we get into the ops center. Those three were tagged via the big Lindstradt rifle and were targets of opportunity that were off away from the herd.

"The brachiosaurus are pretty much docile and curious and may approach you. Just stay in the high hide if they come up. They move randomly across the ground and could inadvertently step on you if you're not careful.

I took a sip of water and continued, "Same goes for the hadrosaurs. They will flee is they perceive a threat and move in a flocking pattern. They are fast and will run you over if you're in the way. They also head-butt very effectively.

"But these I've talked about are all herbivores and only attack when threatened. The others, the carnivores, attack simply because they can. They do it because it's what they are designed to do. Worst of them is the velociraptor. You'd think T. Rex would be the one to worry about, right? And they are, but you can see and hear them coming, usually. Velociraptor is different. The raptors hunt in packs, usually at least three of them with one alpha leader. You might see the one out in front of you, but in a fleeting glimpse. By that time it's too late. The two you didn't know were there attack from your flanks and tear you to pieces with their six inch razor sharp mid-claws and a mouthful of teeth made for tearing flesh. They make noises when they hunt. Calls and chirps will sound out to tell each other where they are and, more importantly, where you are. Raptors are smart. And I mean to the extent of problem solving smart. Stay in the high hides. Watch the other animals. If they seem like they're spooked, you should be, too."

I still needed to tell them about the T. Rex and procompsagnathus, but I felt now would be a prudent time to take questions, if there were any.

Last edited:
I followed into the common room, on the way through the kitchen I looked at the visible utensils and cutlery. Like everything else it seemed like the kitchen was just as well stocked as the rest of the facility. And as per any new arrival in any place where there's rules, we received a short briefing, only the good professor was kind enough to pause to allow for questions. I have pulled out a seat and sat down straddling the chair, resting my arms on the back rest,

"Well if the velociraptor's are the alpha hunters, are we certain that they have enough food? You said that they're problem-solving smart, what if they manage to stampede one of the bigger animals into or even through the electrical fence?"

I gave a grim little smile,

"I know that the fence is tough, but can it truly withstand a runnung...what's it called? Bragiosaur? That is a few tons of meat and I am sure that a large enough herd of Velociraptors should be able to spook one."

I gave a shrug,

"If the fence should stop a dino, I think we can be reasonably safe in here as long as I do my job huh?"

"No thank you Professor, I think I have everything under control," I smiled at him over my shoulder.

Dr. Parker brushed past me and then into the common room. I turned down the burner to low and threw the rest of the veggies into the pot before leaning over the island to listen to his talk about the animals. Most of it I had heard before. Beware the raptors, watch out for the bigger animals, be even more careful than you would would any other present day animal....all things Papa had worriedly told me on the phone and again via email. I would be very careful, as I always was.

I sighed and checked over my shoulder. The rice was almost boiling over. I popped the lid on it and turned off the burner. I heard the third man, John I think his name was ask about the raptors behavior. I circled the island and leaned against it facing the common room.

"Most predators only hunt what they can eat in one sitting. It's not likely 2 or 3 raptors would want to bring down an animal that large. As smart as they are, they know killing something they can't eat completely will only draw the bigger predators to the area and make trouble for them. Raptors are deadly, but they are not at the top of the chain and they know it," I explained.

Many other species of predators did the same thing and they hunted based on opportunity. Smart predators stuck to easier prey so as not to expend more energy than necessary during a hunt.

"Lunch is ready by the way," I half smiled. I hoped they did not expect me to do this all the time, the last thing I needed was for my skill to be wasted in the kitchen or to be treated like a housekeeper. I almost envied Dr. Parker having all the alone time before our arrival.

I stirred the rice into the now finished coconut curry and put it on a hot pad on the island before looking through the drawers and cabinets for utensils and bowls.

Half my mind is on the dinosaur conversation. I got the eye-witness story from Ellie a year after the event. We were in Bogor for a bunga bankai blooming. She said she still had nightmares. I've had a rutting bull moose trample my camp, been treed by a grizzly and had to throw stones at a mountain lion. I was younger and poorer then though. Again I hope I don't have to run from any dinosaurs.

The other half of my concentration is on the food. My stomach rumbles.

When Harding announced lunch was ready I moved into the kitchen to make a plate. I also addressed Shepherd's question.

"The velociraptors do indeed have enough to eat," I explained. I nodded to Dr. Harding. "Like she just pointed out, the don't kill or attack what they won't eat. And, fortunately they don't kill everyday. There is also several herds of goat, fallow deer, and wild pig on the island. Most of the raptor kills I've seen were one of These animals.

"The fence and compound is protected on the north side by the river and to the south by the cliffs and hills with the ocean and river mouth taking up our front area. The only area of any concern really is the part of the fence line that faces the jungle, but there is a 125 ft ravine between the fence line and the rain forest. When you exit the main gate to go to High Hide One you'll cross the bridge over the ravine. The bridge is retractable from controls in the ops center and a back up controller just inside the main gate."

I took a bite of curry and rice. "Damn, that's good," I told Harding.

I turned back to Shepherd. "But, yeah, they assure me the fence will repel a dinosaur. It's got enough juice to kill a raptor and out a T. Rex down for the count. I doubt it would do much to a brach, but I seriously doubt we have to worry about them, anyway.

"There's an armory here, just so you know. Firearms are a last resort, but we do have them. I'll show it to you when we go to Ops. It's on the way there, and you all need to know what's available. We always carry when we go into the field."

I remembered I had some apple juice in my mini-fridge in my room. I excused myself and went upstairs. While getting the bottle of juice out I looked at my MacBook and noticed the email icon was lit. I opened the mail app and read the message.

It appears others have taken an interest in the animals. Be wary.

-Ian

I typed a quick reply to Dr. Malcolm asking him to be a bit more specific. I wasn't sure what he meant. Others?

An interest in the animals?

For what purpose?

There had been many corporations and private individuals that attempted to buy the animals and the island itself after InGen's breakup. Fortunately they were stopped and strictly enforced rules were placed. The main one was no animal left Isla Sorna. Period.

Of course, they forgot to tell that to the pterosaurs that flew to the Amazon rain forest.

I went back to the common room and sat down to finish my lunch.

What others?

I nodded,

"So even if a Velociraptor does decide we'll make a good snack, it will not really try to go to extremes to get to us. That's assuring."

I excused myself, went to my room, unlocked it and retreived my old, battered aluminium Dixie plate and after locking the room behind me, headed back to the kitchen. Almost filling the plate I added a good amount of mayonaise and chutney to the mix and gave our impromto cook a grin,

"Nothing against your food, I just like it this way."

I went to take a seat, closed my eyes to quickly say Grace and then used a spoon to mix up the food and promptly took a bit. Even through the taste of mayo and chutney I could taste how well the food was made,

"You do know that I'll be feeding you rat packs and dry rations when it comes to my turn right?"

I smiled and nodded in appreciation to the compliments about the food, "no problem."

I made myself a bowl and stood at one end eating, I almost never ate sitting down. I just listened to the exchanges, went over areal views in my head of what the island looked like and where I could possibly start my research. Usually on an assignment I was focused on one family group or species but here I was expected to focus on all of them. It would be a challenge, but a welcome one at that.

I remembered my employer artfully dodging my rather direct question regarding how long I was going to be here and cringed. It wasn't like them to do that to me, I always knew how long my assignments were supposed to last, keeping me somewhere indefinitely wasn't something I wanted them to get used to doing.

I finished my bowl, rinsed it, and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge while I waited to find out the game plan for the rest of the day. We still had plenty of day light left, eating had revived me and I was ready to head out and start getting acquainted with the island and the animals.

I sit and inhale the first bowl. Seconds goes down a little bit slower.

"Very good, Miss Harding." I congratulate her and mean it too.

"Are you vegetarian?" I ask her.

I rinse out my bowl and put it with others. Looking about I see the kettle. Finding teabags and condensed milk I start the kettle.

"Cup o' tea anyone?" I ask. Never liked tea as a kid. Always drank coffee. Coffee is not good for you though in hot, arid or tropical climes. So I had to get used to hot sweet tea. South of the Tropic of Cancer it's all I drink. Well, not quite all I drink.

John Shepherd

I had finished my food and had just cleaned out my Dixie plate when the professor asked if anybody wanted tea,

"Nah thanks prof, I have to get a few things sorted out, get a few maps and sketches and then grab some shut eye. Tomorrow I'll have to get some serious exploring done about the electrics and the exterior of the facility. So if you guys need me...holler."

With that I headed back towards my room.

I sipped my water and half smiled.

"Thank you and no, not a vegetarian, just didn't see any meat in the fridge," I responded to the Professors question.

I leaned against the counter waiting, I was itching to get out of the sterile looking building and back into nature. I started mentally planning a route in my head. I'd stay inside the fence for today, just hike around a bit and get my bearings. I could observe anything I encountered from there. I still needed to find a moment to show Dr. Parker the computer program and ask him if he would like to implement it here on the island.

I noticed my army duffel by the stairs, might as well get it out of everyone's way for now. I hefted it up over my shoulder and started for my room.

I sat down in one of the chairs at the main console in the Ops Center.

There were three large Samsung LED monitors on the wall. The one in the middle was the largest and showed a layered map of the island. The computer could remove and add layers to the map at command. Thermographic, topographic, elevation, grid and sector, roadways, landmarks, and a host of other layers could be viewed singularly or all at once. Several red dots clustered in some locations. These dots were tagged on the monitor by their GPS transmitter implants. Touching one of the tags on the screen revealed the type of dinosaur and any other identification data.

This map also showed the positions of anyone out in the field as long as their personal radios were on and in "ping" mode.

A big help in knowing where everyone was.

Up until this point I had no living person to sit at Ops and monitor me when I was out in the field. Instead I had been relying on the Ops Center's AI interface to keep an eye on me and alert me to animal movements.

"CASI," I said aloud, "please switch to internal power."

The soothing, female voice responded immediately. "At once, Dr. Parker. Solar systems are now in conservation mode and all electrical systems are now operating on geo-thermal power."

CASI, or Computer Assisted Supervision Interface, was an AI designed by none other than Stark Industries. CASI's original function was to monitor and control sub-parameters for battleships, aircraft carriers, and that heli-carrier thing. She, and I still really refuse to think of it as a "she", could turn off lights, unlock or lock powered doors, maintain radio communications, and basically access anything to do with the running of the compound that used electrical power and was connected via hardwire or wireless. Fortunately, CASI had no command decision making routines with the exception of pre-programmed operations such as aligning the comm antennae at certain times or unlocking the skylight shutters during the day.

I put everything away that I could up in my room. I went out on the balcony and visually mapped a short trail for myself so that I could get some exploring done. It only took a few minutes to throw my gear together, I could probably do it in my sleep.

I trotted downstairs again, straight for the gear by the door, and grabbed the required radio with its extra battery. I clicked it on and attached it to my belt, right next to the Glock 27 I always carried out in the field. Hostile natives and all that sort of thing. I looked around and didn't see anyone else making moves to go outside, oh well. They would be the ones missing out.

I was almost relieved to be outside again. I pulled my Sox cap down and adjusted my pack before taking off at a brisk pace around the side of the building and down along the fence.

I noticed a tag balloon up on the main screen. One of the digital radios had been removed and switched on. The Ops Center internal monitor showed an outside exit door open.

"CASI," I asked, "who just went outside?"

"Bio-signature indicates Dr. Savannah Harding," came the reply.

I switched on the comm system and put on a headset, all the while muttering something under my breath. No one goes outside alone. Even inside the fence line.

I touched the screen an activated the comm link to her radio. "Dr. Harding?" I said. "Can you hold up just a second?"

John Shephard

Well that went by without a hitch, I plugged my own palm top in to the computer, after a bit of jiggling with the software and security, I got into the mainframe. Of course I didn't hack the mainframe, I entered through the computer. The security system looked like a pro had made it and though I'm not a hacker, I knew quality protection when I saw it. I started to download schematics, maps and electronic loads and cabling as updated by the last tech. With this done, I locked my door, opened my duffels and took out the weapons I had brought along, checking them and just as precaution cleaned them.

This took me quite some time to finish up and when I was done, I repacked the bags and stashed them in a corner each. Out of sight, but within easy reach, I took a nice warm shower and after closing the blinds, fell into bed. I had a long way to come and I was rather tired. It didn't take long for me to fall into the welcoming arms of sleep and her constant reminders of my past.

I wasn't very far at all before Dr. Parker's voice reached through the radio to me. I pursed my lips before answering.

"Roger that," I responded automatically.

I stood there waiting, what did he want? I could certainly handle myself out here alone, I was not even intending to leave the fenced in area of the compound. I wasn't even sure what I was waiting for; was he joining me, going to give me instructions? I took a few more steps.

Parker

I stopped by the armory and grabbed a Remington 11-87 shotgun on my way out the door. I remembered I still needed to show everyone they armory and how to access it.

I was exiting the door and loading 00 buckshot into the weapon's magazine loading port when I saw Dr. Harding standing outside. She was waiting on me, clearly, and I could tell she wanted an explanation as to why I had told her to do that very thing. I slung the shotgun as I stepped to her.

"New rules," I said to her, "now that I'm not the only one here." I adjusted my old Oakley ball cap. "No one goes outside alone, even inside the compound. Follow me and I'll show you why." I motioned for her to come with me.

I walked for a few minutes down a winding trail that led past the vehicle carport and towards the main road that ran to the fenced enclosure's exit to the island proper. The trail turned sharply at the road and paralleled it for about 150 meters before branching off. The trail continued for another 200 hundred meters where it opened into the clearing at the perimeter fence. There was 25 meters of clearing on both sides of the fence that followed the fence in its entirety around the facility.

I stopped and pointed at the fence in one particular spot. The stainless steel fencing cable was bent inwards slightly as if something had struck it. It was in no danger of breaking, but there were some scorch marks on the mesh that signified electrical burns.

"Some of the raptors," I explained, "have been kicking the fence. There are several of these places along the fence in this area," I continued as I pointed down the fence line towards the road. "They've been testing it. Checking it, systematically, for weaknesses. I've caught them doing it.

"Funny thing is," I stated as I looked at her, "there is only one particular group that does this. The alpha is a male, orange and brown snout. The other group that usually owns the territory around the fence line and out towards the river is lead by a female. She has a yellow stripe on the underside of her snout. I've seen her and her pack group come and run the others away from here when they've attacked the fence."

I shook my head. "Damnedest thing I've ever seen," I admitted. "Anyway, no one goes out alone."

He didn't know it, but I was studying him as well. I watched him walk easily to me and then take the lead on the worn path that followed the fence line. He was relaxed but alert, I followed silently in his foot treads. I was slightly annoyed at his demand, it made me feel like a child forced into using the buddy system. Of course he seemed annoyed with me for going off on my own. It did not occur to me to apologize to him until later and then the timing seemed inappropriate.

When he stopped and turned to me again I slid the iPad out of the pocket on my pack and automatically started typing whilst looking between him and the fence. I was analyzing data in my mind. I snapped a picture of the unbroken fence and then the bent section he was gesturing to.

brown snout...orange stripe....male alpha.

I cocked my head to the side when he started talking about the other herd of raptors, a species that had male or female alphas. Interesting. My fingers kept typing on the touch screen.

"Is there any chance you have a video feed pointed this direction," I asked him.

I was definitely curious to see them testing the fence for myself, the nuances of their behavior was important to me. I turned around and glanced at the roof line of the compound and back to him, all the bells and whistles back in the command center there were surely a few cameras too.

I wondered if there was a manual control on the fence for the voltage too but I didn't ask, at least not yet.

"Is there any chance you have a video feed pointed this direction," I asked him.

"Yessum," I answered, "there's cameras mounted on the exterior of the compound and," I gestured towards the gated roadway, "on the fence itself."

You could barely see the cameras. They were tiny, high definition, ball lens cameras that sat on top of the tall erector poles spaced about every 100 meters.

I pointed to her iPad. "If you're connected to the wi-fi, then you should be able to access CASI's remote console. It's command interface is limited as far as your remote access, but video feeds, email, maps, and personal locators are available.

"If you access your InGen email account, you'll find an email from CASI with an attachment. Open the attachment and you'll get an install prompt for the remote console app."

The wonders of modern technology. All of their emails had previously been set up, and CASI already had their log-in information. The remote console app was a mobile version of the same one available for use on their Macbooks.

While most of the time I felt technology enhanced my work, there were times I longed to detox from the "connectedness" of it all.

I surveyed the cameras, noting the angles at which they were positioned. I'd need to access the email account and log in, probably download a few things. I hated to stand here and wait for everything to upload. I could do that in my room later.

"I see, I definitely want to dig into this behavior later," I smiled and slid the ipad back into it's home in my pack, "I'd like to continue hiking if that's alright with you."

I mentally kicked myself for asking permission. He was technically my boss though, I should listen. My last performance review noted that I needed to be more open to taking direction. I took it under advisement.

"I see, I definitely want to dig into this behavior later," I smiled and slid the ipad back into it's home in my pack, "I'd like to continue hiking if that's alright with you."

I mentally kicked myself for asking permission. He was technically my boss though, I should listen. My last performance review noted that I needed to be more open to taking direction. I took it under advisement.

I nodded then pointed back up towards the compound. "On the other side of the building the trail picks up again," I told her. "It heads up towards the cliff side of the island. There's some spectacular views there. Also," I added, "there's a small creek that runs downhill from there with a few waterfalls. It pulls from rain runoff from our side of the island and feeds the river. The stegosaurus lives up there."

I took one last survey of the fence. It would hold. Until they figured out how to bypass electric current.

"Come on," I said, smiling. "He loves company." I started heading towards the trail we came into the fence line on and back towards the facility.

Back