How view and vote counting works

SimonDoom

Kink Lord
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Posts
15,753
Something puzzles me. I've had stories that appear simultaneously on my control panel, on the 30 day top 250 list, and on the 12 month top 250 list, and the view and vote counts, and scores, are different for all of them. What especially makes no sense to me is that the view/vote counts on the 12 month list typically are HIGHER than on the control panel, which I would have thought would represent the most up to date count, since it constantly is updated during the course of the day, unlike the toplists, which appear to be updated at the same time in the morning every day and remain the same until the next morning.

Does anyone understand why this is so?
 
[Personal attacks and trolling prohibited per our Forum Rules]

FINAL WARNING. Further personal attacks will result in a 72 hour timeout from the forum.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, different parts of the site update at different times and at different rates. Your author's page is usually the most up to date and accurate.
 
Yes, different parts of the site update at different times and at different rates. Your author's page is usually the most up to date and accurate.

That, and something else. One of my recent stories has an extra vote on the top list compared to the control panel, and a small increment in the score to go along with it. It's been like that for more than a week now, so it isn't a matter of timing the updates.

I'll watch, but I'm not going to question much of what Laurel does. She's been doing it for twenty years and I haven't.
 
Yes, different parts of the site update at different times and at different rates. Your author's page is usually the most up to date and accurate.

That's the thing that puzzles me, because my experience is that my author page is consistently behind the toplists in terms of total views, votes, and most recent score. In the morning, when the lists are updated (in my time zone), the list numbers ALWAYS are higher than on my author control page, which makes no sense to me because that page is constantly updated over the course of the day, while the toplists are updated once per day.

It's not a criticism. It's something I've noted for a while and it puzzles me. If all of the various lists are updated separately then it must take a lot of work.
 
That's the thing that puzzles me, because my experience is that my author page is consistently behind the toplists in terms of total views, votes, and most recent score. In the morning, when the lists are updated (in my time zone), the list numbers ALWAYS are higher than on my author control page, which makes no sense to me because that page is constantly updated over the course of the day, while the toplists are updated once per day.

It's not a criticism. It's something I've noted for a while and it puzzles me. If all of the various lists are updated separately then it must take a lot of work.

All the work is done by computers.

In the past there have been problems with certain top lists sticking and staying that way for a while. If you see such discrepancies, please let Manu know so he can check it and see if it needs fixing.
 
[Personal attacks and trolling prohibited per our Forum Rules]

FINAL WARNING. Further personal attacks will result in a 72 hour timeout from the forum.

Trust me, Jim, having already been banned before for the requisite 72-hours, you don't want to be banned from the forum boards. The worst experience of my life, it was awful. With everything pitch black but for a few torches lighting the way, unable to see my hand in front of my face, it was so dark.

When they banned me, four guards, naked but for their socks, took me to Literotica's dungeon. You didn't know that Laurel had a dungeon, did you? Trust me, she does.

I've seen some unspeakable things. If you wonder what happened to this one or to that one and why they no longer post to the forum boards, it's because they're in the dungeon. They're all there, mostly women, and a few of the more infamously, notorious men. I need not even mention names for you to know who they are.

The men stripped me naked. Then, they chained me to the wall. I couldn't move. I couldn't resist.

Then, they touched me, felt me, fondled, licked me, and fucked me everywhere. They took turns having sex with me for three days and three nights. It was wonderful, I mean, horrible. Is that what you want, Jim? Is that what you want? Careful for what you wish for because you just may get your wish.

I heard being banned for men is different than being banned for women. Men are escorted to the dungeon by four, tall, beautiful, shapely, and sexy women wearing nothing but strap-on dildos. Do you get the picture?

Trust me, they're not wearing strap-on dildos to have lesbian sex. I can still hear grown men screaming like little girls. Is that what you want, Jim? You want to be violated by four, tall, beautiful, shapely, and sexy women wearing strap-on dildos for three days and three nights?

Keep it up and you will.

This message was posted as an agreed upon public service in advance to keep others from being banned.

 
The above message was approved by SusanJillParker.

Elizabeth of LadyofErotica speaks on my behalf. Everything she related about being banned and about the dungeons is all true.
 
[Personal attacks, accusations/insults against other Literotica authors, and trolling prohibited per our AH Forum Rules]

Last warning ignored - account banned for 72 hours
 
[Personal attacks, accusations/insults against other Literotica authors, and trolling prohibited per our AH Forum Rules]

Last warning ignored - account banned for 72 hours
 
But the story still sux.

How would you know when you've never written a story but only criticized the stories of others?

By the way, Jimbo, sucks is spelled s-u-c-k-s and not sux. Do yourself a favor and buy a dictionary, preferably one without pictures (lol).

Have a lovely day. I love you. Kisses.

 
Youre the crazy aunt locked in the attic, Freddie.

By the way, James, Freddie was my nickname when I was married as Susan Fredricks and writing as BostonFictionWriter. Because I was such a tomboy my friends called me Freddie.

I'm sorry to say but you're not one of my friends. The only people on this board who are my very best friends and allowed to call me Freddie are Sr71plt, TxRad, and LoveCraft.

You may call me...Miss Susan or Ms. Parker.

Careful now. Best you control yourself from unduly attacking me. Unless you enjoy taking it up the ass, you don't want to be banned now do you?
 
Last edited:
Well, that went a little bit off topic didn't it. Now what was the question? Something about vote counting.
 
[Personal attacks, accusations/insults against other Literotica authors, and trolling prohibited per our AH Forum Rules]

Last warning ignored - account banned for 72 hours
 
Well, that went a little bit off topic didn't it. Now what was the question? Something about vote counting.

Every thread that I ever started was hi-jacked. Never had I thread stay on topic.

After Jim and the moderator threw this off topic, I didn't see any harm in adding my two-cents by giving Jim the true and accurate details of what happens when banned. It's important that he knows that Literotica has a dungeon.

I saw the bones of the Marquis de Sade down there.

To be honest, after having had such a horrible, life changing time being banned...I'm thinking about being banned again (lol).

"Beat me, lick me, and fuck me. Don't worry about the pain. I can take it."
 
Well, that went a little bit off topic didn't it. Now what was the question? Something about vote counting.
The top lists (All-Time) are connected to the updating in the Hall of Fame, which actually updates several times a day to allow the one-bombers to have their jollies and actually see the story they hate expelled from the Hall nearly as soon as it has entered. For whatever reason, the twelve-month top list seems to operate without benefit of the sweep, which is the highly irregular removal of low votes and pond scum. Generally my stories look much better in the all-time and thirty-day lists than they do in the twelve-month lists, which may be insane but it's the way it is. None of those differences are related to different posting times.
Can't say as I ever found the top lists ahead of my control panel information, but Lit does lose votes - from the sweep, maybe, but not all of them are low-end. So just because the vote total is lower doesn't mean it is earlier.
 
Unless things have changed, all the toplists update once per day, and not at the same time, though all happen in the wee hours PST.

The hubs update much more frequently. I've never narrowed it down, but it's many times per day. The different sections of the hubs don't update at the same time, either. It's common for a story appearing in multiple sections to display different statistics.

Barring some minimal cache/lag, your private submissions page is nearly in real time with regards to all statistics save for views. Views may even be real time in the new control panel. I haven't taken the time to check that out. In the old control panel, views updated every fifteen minutes.

The following are some old observations, but they're the best I was able to determine back when I looked at it.

There's a peculiarity in the 12 month list. For some reason, that doesn't always update when your current vote total is lower than the vote total already existing within the 12 month list. So, if you lost some votes in a sweep and your score went up or down, it may very well not be reflected within the 12 month list.

Once your current vote total exceeds the existing total in the list, it seems to always update. Sometimes, your listing may update even when you haven't exceeded the existing vote total. If that happens, the updated vote total becomes the one that needs to be surpassed for a guaranteed update during the next day's cycle.
 
Back
Top