Problem with Volunteer Editor Tools

rjordan

Literotica Guru
Surferjake, a VE, made a comment in another thread that he got lots of requests for editing when he was first listed, then they quickly diminished to nothing.

I'd like to offer one reason that I ran into while trying to find a VE.

If you go to the Volunteer Editors page, there is a link to search for an editor. When you click on it, it takes you here:

https://www.literotica.com/members/editors_find.php

That allows you to search on categories, accepted format (why?) and something else I've forgotten because it was relevant. But there is no way to search for a specific VE.

For example, if I ran into some comments by surferjake in another forum and thought he might be a good match for me, there is no way on that page to enter his name and go to his profile.

The only way I've been successful is to search google using "site:literotica.com surferjake"

There is a Contact Us link, but it doesn't go anywhere except a "Server not found" page. So that's the reason for this post.

I've been on this site for about 12 or 13 years, posted about 20 stories (I usually only keep my favorite currently listed), and this is the first time I've actively looked for a VE to step up my game. It has been a really frustrating experience to be honest.

rj

Last edited:
Yes, sorry, the VE system has been hopelessly broken for years (the "editor available" sticky above and this forum are the functional replacements). The site owners certainly know about its brokenness, but I guess it looks good to advertisers to claim you have services and programs on the Web site, even if a lot of them are dysfunctional. The potential advertisers probably don't check that out.

Surferjake, a VE, made a comment in another thread that he got lots of requests for editing when he was first listed, then they quickly diminished to nothing.

I'd like to offer one reason that I ran into while trying to find a VE.

If you go to the Volunteer Editors page, there is a link to search for an editor. When you click on it, it takes you here:

https://www.literotica.com/members/editors_find.php

That allows you to search on categories, accepted format (why?) and something else I've forgotten because it was relevant. But there is no way to search for a specific VE.

For example, if I ran into some comments by surferjake in another forum and thought he might be a good match for me, there is no way on that page to enter his name and go to his profile.

The only way I've been successful is to search google using "site:literotica.com surferjake"

There is a Contact Us link, but it doesn't go anywhere except a "Server not found" page. So that's the reason for this post.

I've been on this site for about 12 or 13 years, posted about 20 stories (I usually only keep my favorite currently listed), and this is the first time I've actively looked for a VE to step up my game. It has been a really frustrating experience to be honest.

rj

Thanks for showing the steps you took and what you discovered along the way. A broken program exists. I can't argue with that, but I can't fix it, either.

Check the monthly thread for who might be available. Make a thread here in the EF stating what kind of help you want as well as the particulars of your story. Or ask around.

Good luck in your search. :)

OK, thanks Lynn and Pilot. You've also explained why none of the potential editors I messaged via the VE page have responded and why I didn't get an email copy of my request after checking the box asking for one.

I've been watching the forums for writers who say things or have posted stories that make me think they would be a potential match. I had hoped to be able to then look at their VE profile. That's how I discovered the difficulty. I won't waste my time with it any longer.

I'll try posting an Editor Wanted thread and see where that goes.

Thanks again, both of you.

rj

If you're currently looking for an editor, providing the story premise, word count, category, and what kind of editing you need would be helpful. Otherwise, it's the same complaints about not being able to find a volunteer editor who will edit for free, all for the love of editing for a Lit writer, who frequently comes across as God's gift to erotica, while never understanding the difference, or nuances, between categories and genres. Woe is me. :rolleyes: (Shut up, Pilot). :) xo

:rose:

Yes, sorry, the VE system has been hopelessly broken for years (the "editor available" sticky above and this forum are the functional replacements). The site owners certainly know about its brokenness, but I guess it looks good to advertisers to claim you have services and programs on the Web site, even if a lot of them are dysfunctional. The potential advertisers probably don't check that out.

Speaking of dysfunctional...

https://encrypted-tbn3.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF_IuivQLLnUgKqUzotEctE5pfR3itjl4vqPVvKdaRmGh1Y3ie

Most of those listed as VEs aren't on Literotica anymore, not to mention that they aren't even editors. :rolleyes:

Obviously it's the writer who is suffering when trying to wade through that dormant glop, because just about everyone who posts here who has tried to use the process repeats that experience. We can all see who wants to white wash that, though. :D

I got my editor by exchanging services--and I don't have to go looking for one; I have an editor with no reference to the broken VE program. And I'm not the one who loses or can't get my stories posted to Lit. because I let the Lady Vs and friends of the world convince chumps that a hopelessly broken system will work just because they like to razz me. :)

So, folks can go on playing this losing game if they like to be frustrated and watch wheels spin without anything going anywhere. I'm not the one losing anything in this.

Last edited:
Most of those listed as VEs aren't on Literotica anymore, not to mention that they aren't even editors. :rolleyes:

Obviously it's the writer who is suffering when trying to wade through that dormant glop, because just about everyone who posts here who has tried to use the process repeats that experience. We can all see who wants to white wash that, though. :D

I got my editor by exchanging services--and I don't have to go looking for one; I have an editor with no reference to the broken VE program. And I'm not the one who loses or can't get my stories posted to Lit. because I let the Lady Vs and friends of the world convince chumps that a hopelessly broken system will work just because they like to razz me. :)

So, folks can go on playing this losing game if they like to be frustrated and watch wheels spin without anything going anywhere.

https://encrypted-tbn3.***********/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT98g1iHkSenGgbIlUFhL0qgJNcve-zYiY61XY6o61ck9fijckVSw

If you want an editor, you can try starting a thread on the editor's forum. It took me about 15 minutes to find someone there. I tried the VE thing without success first. It did not work. I don't know why, nor do I know how to fix it, so I'll refrain from whining.

Please keep in mind that editing is a huge pain in the ass, and I don't know why anyone wants to do it for free. It requires a degree of concentration I don't have. If I did I could edit my own stuff.

When you do find someone, remember that they are doing the work gratis, and don't forget to thank them. A small gift might be appreciated as well.

Good luck. :)

Riordan: If you see someone posting who you think might be a good editor, you can always send them a personal message by clicking on their name. I know what you mean though. I was on that editor page and you wouldn't be able to find a particular editor, even if you knew her name. Why isn't it at least alphabetical?

Please keep in mind that editing is a huge pain in the ass, and I don't know why anyone wants to do it for free. It requires a degree of concentration I don't have. If I did I could edit my own stuff.

When you do find someone, remember that they are doing the work gratis, and don't forget to thank them. A small gift might be appreciated as well.

Good luck. :)

I do it for free because as a writer, I am horrible at editing my own stuff and appreciate folks who have editing my things for free. I never ask for gifts.. though a bartender friend always gave me free beers. A thank you is nice and a note to alert when the story has been posted/submitted.

There are 2 problems that I, as a first time user, see with the VE 'tool'.
- inactivity
- select all problem

An easy to implement fix for the inactivity problem would be to filter the results based on last activity.

When the query is performed take the current timestamp and compare it with the VE's last activity timestamp. If the difference is greater than 2 weeks, omit that VE in the output.

As far as the select all problem goes, meaning VEs just select all categories and are thus listed as a result for all search queries, generic as well as specific, add grammar and spelling as selectable option.
This way the supply and demand of proof-reading (for which the content is irrelevant) is easily separated from the supply and demand of in depth editing of specific genres.

There are 2 problems that I, as a first time user, see with the VE 'tool'.
- inactivity
- select all problem

An easy to implement fix...

[snip]

I won't even pretend to understand all that.

The best advice is to completely ignore the VE links and take Lynn's advice (and others) in Msg #3.

Post a request for an editor on this forum.
Jot down names of potential editors and PM them.

Worked very quickly for me.

rj

Back