The Beautiful Game - Closed for DeathsKnight

He smirked casually,

"I rarely change my mind, you might call it extra curricular activities. I have to teach you, it was your own words."

He took in the place once more and nodded,

"I can understand, but now that you mention it, what is the members on your side expecting from this investment? I don't believe they will just want us to win, much like my own board yes?"
 

"I rarely change my mind, you might call it extra curricular activities."


She blushed at his choice of words.

"I have to teach you, it was your own words."

She nodded unable to deny what she had said and was struck anew at the wit and intelligence of the an who sat with her.

"I can understand, but now that you mention it, what is the members on your side expecting from this investment? I don't believe they will just want us to win, much like my own board yes?"

She assumed that in Russia sponsorship was organised in a totally different way.

"Winning would be a good start, but it's not all about that from a business point of view."

She explained.

"It's really about company profile and what we grandly call our 'corporate moral duty'. Basically our sponsorship forms part of our investment in the community. We could contribute to any manner of project, but for me it was always going to be channelled in the direction of football."

She explained wondering if he fully realised that a owner of the company she had the final word on all decisions, although like him she had a board to at least consult. The difference was that they trusted her business sense and supported her sporting interest seeing the sense of being associated with football in regards to community relations.

"We deal with property throughout this area, so having our logo seen when you play home and away, even when you train, or when you use the minibus we will provide you will basically 'get us seen'. Combine that with team progress and your reputation for hard work and the players' dedication; being associated with that will give us 'positive spin'."

She knew that other potential sponsors for some reason were put off by the idea of a Russian manager, but despite Mike's warnings to go slow, she had no such reservations; quite the reverse in fact.

"Like I said, unless your team is involved in some terrible scandal or negative publicity my company can't lose out; we get to 'give to the community' and reap associated benefits by doing so."

She laughed aware that she had slipped into 'boardroom mode'.

"I guess we've covered everything business wise. If you hold fire on telling your players until after I've negotiated terms with your Chairman. If I can confirm on Wednesday I will, if not I'd hope he would have responded before we meet up on Thursday. Personally I'd want to have our logo in place and your access to facilities confirmed in time for the Saturday match. It's an away match, so it will give us time to put advertising boards and so forth in place around your ground over the weekend."

She laughed, it seemed she had it all worked out.

"I tend to get over enthusiastic at times ... "

She confessed.

"... drives most people mad ... "

Especially potential dates, she realised. Her passion for business and football ironically didn't seem to appeal to the men she had known.

" ... maybe I need those 'extra-curricular activities' more than I realised."
 
He listened to her and found that things was quite easier for her as what is was for him, all he had to do was keep the players in check, which on this level was easy, but if the team grew and the board started thinking about buying players things might get a bit out of hand. He nodded though,

"I will keep it a secret, I think it will be best for you to come to Monday's practice and inform them about the new changes, if that will not inconvenience you? Hopefully another win will be on our side, we have drawn with them last time around and now that I've given the guys the attack order it seems like they are starting to perform."

He shrugged,

"Of course we will not be attacking from the start,"

A grin split his lips,

"Unless the opportune moment arises yes? But that is all in the future, let the guys wallow for today in their great win, from tomorrow it's in the past and means nothing."
 
"I will keep it a secret, I think it will be best for you to come to Monday's practice and inform them about the new changes, if that will not inconvenience you?"

She smiled at the invitation, more than happy to attend the practice and touched by Ivan's generosity at letting her speak with his players, for surely it should be he who delivered the good news?

"Hopefully another win will be on our side, we have drawn with them last time around and now that I've given the guys the attack order it seems like they are starting to perform... Of course we will not be attacking from the start. Unless the opportune moment arises yes?"

She loved how animated he became when he talked about football, about his team, about their strategy. She nodded in answer to his question. It seemed the team were progressing, even without the benefits she could offer them.

"But that is all in the future, let the guys wallow for today in their great win, from tomorrow it's in the past and means nothing."

She laughed.

"I'd imagine there were some sore heads this morning?"

She speculated.

"Though you seem none the worse for wear."

She observed admiringly.

"... especially allowing me to drag you out here to talk business ... "

She was half teasing; the primary reason had been to share details of potential sponsorship, but she had looked forward to being in his company again and had to admit that she was looking forward to continuing that 'partnership'.
 
"Ah yes there was quite a few who grumbled and groaned along the way, but as it is just a lazy jog every Sunday I doubt that it was too much strain on them. But they did have a good party and I must admit that I have had a drink or two, but nothing like I had in my playing days."

He leaned back into his chair,

"So business which will help my players and the club is not such a bad thing to be dragged to, especially if the dragee is not a KGB agent."
 
"Ah yes there was quite a few who grumbled and groaned along the way, but as it is just a lazy jog every Sunday I doubt that it was too much strain on them. But they did have a good party and I must admit that I have had a drink or two, but nothing like I had in my playing days."

Again she mused that what Ivan called a 'lazy jog' was most likely more onerous than he realised.

"So business which will help my players and the club is not such a bad thing to be dragged to, especially if the dragee is not a KGB agent."

She laughed. Twice he had alluded to his past in Russia and she couldn't help being curious.

"Do you miss it, Ivan?"

She asked tentatively, not wanting to ruin the early companionship they had established.

"... being a player, being in Russia I mean ...?"

She clarified.
 
He looked at her for a few seconds,

"Da at times I do, but once makes best of what life deals you. I have learned the hard way that it is not good to live in the past."

He smiled slightly,

"Is best to look to the future, especially when future holds partnership of a lovely woman who loves football."

He chuckled,

"I am still a bit curious though, you did state community, does that mean that you are near Green Dale then? I am sorry, I know very little outside of the club and town."
 
He paused just long enough to give her the impression that he didn't want to talk about it.

"Da at times I do, but once makes best of what life deals you. I have learned the hard way that it is not good to live in the past."

His smile softened his words.

"Is best to look to the future, especially when future holds partnership of a lovely woman who loves football."

She blushed slightly at the compliment, but like him was definitely looking forward to the prospect.

"I am still a bit curious though, you did state community, does that mean that you are near Green Dale then? I am sorry, I know very little outside of the club and town."

Again she realised that the came from a totally different culture.

"It's considered good for business and a moral duty to channel some of the profits from a company into projects and activities that take place in their locality. The choice of activity can tell you a lot about the company and the organisations being sponsored can obviously develop in a way that would not have been possible otherwise."

She explained.

"I run a real estate company. We deal in property right across this area, so sponsorship of a football team who travel the length an breadth of our catchment area is a good investment for us."

She pushed her coffee cup away, aware that maybe she had taken too much caffeine that morning.

"And of course that is a good angle for me to push the Board to extend the projects we take on."

She smiled.

"I live close to here actually. You could say this is my 'local'."

She chuckled.

"So Green Dale isn't so far from where I live, a much shorter drive than it takes me to get to work."

She dared to ask him about his location.

"You live close to Green Dale Stadium? You got here quickly this morning."

She observed.
 
"Yes I live a two minute drive from the stadium. I found that it is best to drive than to carry the equipment all the way. People tend to talk bad things."

He sighed,

"I made quite a lot of mistakes when I first came here, I was not prepared for the different community."

He looked at her, he had to admit that the more he got to know her, the more he started to like her and she had hinted quite a few times now that she wished for a little bit more than just conversation and that was already a new for him.

"Perhaps you would like to join us for a Sunday jog yes? You can stay after a home game and go jog with us, it is a slow jog, I am very certain it will not over tax you."

Of course if she did not wish to stay over in any of the local accomodations, he could always offer his guest room for her.
 
"Yes I live a two minute drive from the stadium. I found that it is best to drive than to carry the equipment all the way. People tend to talk bad things."

She wondered what people had said to him, but did not push for information.

"I made quite a lot of mistakes when I first came here, I was not prepared for the different community."

She was struck, not for the first time that it must have been difficult, still be difficult for him to adjust.

"Perhaps you would like to join us for a Sunday jog yes? You can stay after a home game and go jog with us, it is a slow jog, I am very certain it will not over tax you."

She laughed. It was hardly a hot date, but it would definitely be fun.

"Part of your master plan to get me fit ...?"

She joked.

"Sure, I'll join you sometime. It would give me a perfect excuse to be late for the weekly family ritual."

She glanced at her watch.

"Which reminds me, I had better get going soon."

She grimaced.

"I usually catch up with family on Sunday ... in some shape or form ... "

She explained.

"I made my excuses for Sunday lunch some time ago ... but I've been doing that for quite a few weeks."

She laughed.

"So, I have to put in an appearance later."

She laughed.

"I told you I had two elder brothers I think? They'll both be there.
So I think I'm going to be rather outnumbered and at their mercy ... "


She told him, though it was clear that she had great affection for her siblings.
 
He chuckled softly,

"For some reason I doubt that you will ever be at anybody's mercies."

He got to his feet and held his hand to her,

"Thank you for this, it was not just insightful but also it was good to spend time with you. It was one of my better breakfasts."

As she took his hand he brought it up and kissed her knuckles,

"I hope you enjoy the family affair, I look forward to seeing you again next week."
 
"For some reason I doubt that you will ever be at anybody's mercies."

She laughed.

"You obviously haven't met my brothers, they give their little sister hell!"

She told him obviously not concerned about the fact.

"Thank you for this, it was not just insightful but also it was good to spend time with you. It was one of my better breakfasts."

She smiled as he took her hand and blushed at the gallantry with which he kissed it.

"I had a really good time with you, Ivan."

She assured him softly, her heart racing at that briefly intimate connection.

"I hope you enjoy the family affair, I look forward to seeing you again next week."

She nodded.

"I'll text you after the meeting Wednesday and let you know the location for Wednesday ... "

She agreed.

"And .. see where we go from there ... "

She added cryptically ...
 
He nodded,

"I will be looking forward to hear from you."

With this said, it was a farewell, he accompanied her out of the room, where they parted and went their own ways. Ivan found that he actually longed for more of her company, she was really a woman who not just understood him, but spoke to him in such a manner that he felt he had known her for years.

To distract himself from thinking too much about her, he pushed to finish the order for the furniture, Monday came around and he found himself almost hoping to see her come to the practice on her own accord, but of course she had her own work to do, as did he. He drilled the men as hard as he could, by the end of the practice he called them together, he had worked with them and they were all exhausted,

"Right, now this was to remind you, no matter how big you win, it doesn't matter. When it does matter is when you raise that cup above your head and have your name engraved with legends, then you can remember it, then you can say: "I was there", but until you do that, I want you to remember that any laurel you receive should only motivate you to work harder and be better."

He looked around, making sure his message sunk in,

"Alright guys, head home."

Tuesday was more of the same, at the end of the session, Ivan had to say that he was proud, the guys took everything he threw at them and still had the guts and determination to come back for more. He couldn't remember being this tired since he had stopped playing and as he stood under the shower at home, he decided that he missed the old days much more than he said he did.

By Wednesday he added the finishing touches to the furniture and phoned the client, who of course was impressed that it was finished a week ahead of schedule. Just after lunch a truck arrived to pick up the pieces and as it drove away, Ivan realized that today he should be hearing from Lisa
 
"I will be looking forward to hear from you."

She did not want their time together to end, but she had promised to go and visit her family and there was no way that she could take Ivan along, not after such a short acquaintance. She loved her family, especially her brothers, but sometimes the weekly invitation to get together did cut into her weekend. Not that she went every weekend, not that any of them did, but it had been a while and it was more than overdue that she put in an appearance.

As usual time had flown, which meant that she did not leave until late, which made it impossible to work on Sunday evening and so her Monday was even more hectic than usual. She spent it in her office and spent her time buried in papers from early morning to late evening. By the time she got home all she had energy for was to have a hot bath, eat a takeaway and drop into bed.

Tuesday was all preparation for the Wednesday meeting with the Green Dale Chairman and two designated Board Members. Ivan had implied that they would 'bite her hand off' for the deal, but she believed in good preparation and never left anything to chance.
She left work early that evening and headed to the Leisure Centre for a swim. She ate a decent meal that evening and at least managed to relax before the 'big day' on Wednesday..

It was 5 pm when she sent the text to Ivan.

Done Deal! All sorted. Will tell you about it tomorrow.
Meet me at: Sunny Rise, 122 Belvedere Road.
I'll be there from 10 am, but any time is good.
Lisa.
 
He heard the text and frowned to himself when he, as eager and anticipating as an in-love school boy, rushed to open and read it. The message made him smile, he had not doubted that she would have troubles with the sponsor-starved board. He read the message again, brow furrowed at the adress, it didn't seem familiar. Later the evening he had to consult the internet to find the area and the road.

The next morning was met with the usual ritual, but since he was done with the order, there was not much to do. He had not responded to Lisa's text, instead he decided to see if she would be surprised by his showing up. He had the route in memory from the map he had found on the internet and used it to make his way to the address.

He arrived five minutes early, he parked his car and got out, dressed in trainers, blue jeans and a white cotton t-shirt bearing the legendary logo of Zvedstad FC and a number seven on the back. He leaned against the car as he took in the area, arms crossed over his chest.
 
Lisa had expected him to text back at least, but there had been no response from Ivan. She knew that he was not very communicative, by phone at least and supposed that he must have had a busy evening; however when he had not yet replied by the Thursday morning, she had to admit that she was disappointed. But Lisa did not have the time to waste upon that emotion. She rarely let men get to her and perhaps it was as well that she pull her expectations of Ivan into line. They had seemed to get on well, but perhaps once he had the funding his team needed and a rapport had been established which enabled them to work together effectively, that after all that was all there was to it. And in fact though there had been banter, teasing even, Lisa reminded herself that their relationship was strictly business and the fact that the Russian Manager seemed so much more personable than might be thought upon first sight and reputation that was merely a bonus.

photo-7.jpg


She arrived at Sunny Rise at quarter to 10. From the front the place looked unassuming and in no way did the building resemble a hospital type setting, which was entirely the point. Lisa pulled into the drive, then steered her car out to the side to park alongside the staff cars which were already in place. She knocked on the side door and was admitted and welcomed with open arms. Drawing back the two women laughed; it seemed that the ‘uniform’ of the day was jeans topped by a bright yellow tshirt with the words SUNNY RISE circling the smiling sun logo. There was much to do, but Lisa was assured that they were on schedule and so a coffee was put in her hands and a hasty update offered as to the progress of the children and families the hospice catered for. This was very much a personal interest of hers and as she chatted with Hilary who was ‘House Mother’ for most of the weekend, Lisa was aware that Ivan was one of a very small group of people who knew of her involvement with this organisation. Unsurprisingly most of the members of staff had turned up to set up the stalls and activities. The whole event it seemed was well supported by the immediate community Lisa was pleased to note. Her contributions were intentionally ‘low profile’. Her company had no association with this place and she intended to keep it that way.

The grounds at the back of the property were unexpected given the modest frontage. Expansive lawns ran the width of the property with the playgrounds and activity areas which were a constant feature of the outdoor areas and then trees and the suggestion of ‘woodland’ around the edges. The limits of the ground were encircled by fencing to ensure the setting was secure for the vulnerable residents. Just for the afternoon there were tables and gazebos spread out around the lawns and at the far end a 5 lane race track was marked out. To one side near the children’s play area one bouncy castle was already in place, whilst at the opposite far end a second was in the middle of being inflated.

under-sea-adventure-bouncy-castle-and-slide.jpg


”They’re going to be incredible. It was a great idea to hire two separate inflatables,”

Hilary approved as Lisa smiled and merely responded.

”Safety first… I’ll go check that we’re all set and then I’ll head back and see what else needs to be done…”

She told her as she headed over to where the larger bouncing castle was rising steadily from the ground.

under-the-sea-bouncy-castle-001.png


”All going to plan?”

She asked the older man overseeing the operation. In his late 40s, Jim had known Lisa for years and knew it paid to supply her with what she wanted.

”Lisa! Yeah, all on schedule now. Took us a time to get it all round the side and set up, but this’ll only take 5 more minutes and we’re set.”

Lisa nodded.

”And you’re collecting this one on Sunday?”

She clarified.

”Yeah and you’re gonna let us know what to do with that smaller one?”

Lisa glanced around to check they hadn’t been overheard.

”If all goes to plan and the kids love it, then we’ll keep it. They may want to keep it inflated or want to store it. Their choice. Just invoice me as usual, ok?”

They laughed, he more than used to her quirks.

”That should be it boss!”

A voice called as the castle seemed to steady before them.

”Just let it settle and then we’ll top up.”

Lisa followed the direction of the younger voice.

”New guy. Thought I’d break him in gently.”

Jim told her ironically.

”So, I know this is your favourite bit. Want to test it out, save me the trouble?”

He invited playfully.

”Well, only to help you out … “

Lisa responded with a grin and kicked off her shoes before climbing onto the bouncy castle.

”If I ever decide to give up my job I’ll join you as inflatable tester…!"

She laughed as she bounced around whilst Jim watched and instructed an increase in the air until he judged it to be just right.

”Nahh, I think you enjoy this bit too much for this to be ‘work’.”

He commented.

”Who, me?”

She asked innocently before throwing herself backwards into a flip and landing in an inelegant sprawl, unable to get to her feet for laughing.
 
When it became ten he pushed away from the car and walked over to the house that Lisa had given him the address for, he pushed the doorbell and waited. He could hear footsteps coming closer, then a pause, most probably the person used the peep hole to see who it was. Then the door clicked open and was pulled open as far as the safety chain allowed it, the face that peeked out seemed slightly startled,

"Yes?"

Ivan managed his best disarming smile and tried to remove as much of his accent from his voice,

"I have been asked by Miss Lisa Hammond to be at this address by ten o'clock. Is she here?"

There was a slight pause as her eyes flickered over him,

"Yes...yes she is here. Whom should I say is looking for her?"

"Ivan Thovenski"

A look of recognition came to the eyes and then the door closed once more, leaving him waiting
 
She was clambering off the inflatable and looking round for her shoes when Hilary came over to find her.

"Lisa, there's a .. a foreign gentleman ... here asking for you."

Distracted Lisa was refastening her trainers.

"What do you mean a ... "

She halted.

"Ivan?"

She asked then went on to clarify.

"Big guy, Russian ... ?"

Hillary nodded.

"Sorry Hillary, I didn't think he was coming. He's a ... friend and colleague of mine. He offered to come by early to help out, but ... I thought he was otherwise engaged."

She halted.

"What did you do with him?"

Only then did she realise that he had been left on the doorstep.
With Hilary's blessing, she ran towards the building and through the house, slightly out of breath by the time she opened the door.

"Ivan. I hadn't heard from you so I didn't think you were coming ... "

She halted taking in his appearance. She could see why Hillary had been wary at the sight of him, but to her he looked .... Admonishing herself for the direction her thoughts were taking and aware that he was still stood out there on the doorstep she opened the door and gestured him inside.

"It's good to see you."

She told him with a soft smile.

"I'll introduce you properly to Hillary and everyone. It's my fault, I hadn't told them to expect anyone else. We're careful about security given how vulnerable our children are. Everyone is buzzed in or out, even the parents."

She took his arm and led him through the corridor and out to the back standing to let him take in the sight of the grounds which were in the early stages of transformation.
 
He took in the sight of Lisa when she hauled open the door, slightly out of breath, he could not help but give her a small smile,

"I thought that I'd surprise you. If I knew it was necessary I would have let you know I was coming."

He stepped inside, listening to her rushed explanation and paused to look at the estate which sprawled out in front of him, he glanced at her, then at the inflatables, a soft chuckle emanating from him,

"I see that you tested the castles yes?"

He reached up and brushed a stray strand of hair back over her head,

"At least you know it is safe."

He looked around once more and then turned to her,

"With what can I help you?"
 
"I thought that I'd surprise you. If I knew it was necessary I would have let you know I was coming."

She was pleased that he didn't seem offended.

"Not necessary, no. And I am surprised. I thought you'd had a better offer ... "

She stood beside him as he took in the activity going on around them and looked up at him as he turned back to her.

"I see that you tested the castles yes?"

His soft chuckle made her pulses race crazily. Only when he reached out his fingers to her hair did she realise that part of her pony tail had worked loose.
The action was casually intimate and Lisa found she was holding her breath as he tucked the stray strand back in place for her.

"At least you know it is safe."

He told her as she nodded wordlessly.

Only when he looked around once more and asked what he could help with did Lisa regain some sanity.

"There's all the refreshment stuff to take over the gazebo. I'm Hillary by the way."

Came the interruption.

"If you can carry over the boxes stacked over there Ivan, then maybe Lisa could set up the urns and the counter."

Lisa nodded her agreement and picked up the lighter of the boxes and the both headed over the gazebo which was located in the centre of the lawns.

"I need to get these trestle tables arranged, then get the urns going before I set up ... "

She told him as she began moving the tables around into an inverted horse shoe shape.

"If you could bring the boxes just to this far corner, then I can unpack them ... ?"

She still couldn't quite believe that he had turned up and that he was more than ready to help.
 
Last edited:
"Of course..."

He stopped and then added mischieviously, in the best over-awed voice he could master, thick with his accenct,

"Maaaasthergh"

With a slight wink he headed off, bringing over the heavier boxes, when he placed down the last of the boxes he helped Lisa to unpack them. As time progressed he carried and hauled all the heavier stuff around and into positions, he went about tirelessly, whisteling some of the more catchier Russian folk songs as he went about. The only thing that lacked was a smile, he did not have one and only rarely did he share a smile with anybody other than Lisa. When all was in place and done, he stood on the porch, looking over the now-reformed estate, cooldrink in hand.

"Ah...a job well done."
 
"Of course...Maaaasthergh"

Lisa laughed at Ivan's response, but then the two of them spoke very little, apart from speaking of where boxes should go, where items should be set up and what to do next. Ivan's help definitely speeded up the process of setting up the stalls. He worked tirelessly hauling items around, his face solemn as usual and only the whistling betraying that he was actually enjoying himself. She noticed more than one curious glance going between Ivan and herself. Hillary especially caught Lisa's eye and raised her eyebrows meaningfully, but Lisa chose to ignore whatever that expression suggested. Finally they both stood looking out at the much altered scene before them as they enjoyed the drinks Hillary had distributed to the 'helpers'.

"Ah...a job well done."

Lisa nodded.

"And so much quicker than other years, thanks to you."

She told him.

"We're actually ahead of schedule for once."

She sighed happily watching the festive fluttering of bunting in the breeze.

"Aside from fund raising these days are always fun for the children."

She told him.

"I've been involved with Sunny Rise for years now. It's one of the smaller hospices in this region and especially for children, though the support for the parents and siblings is amazing ... "

She told him.

"It's a ... personal ... interest for me .. nothing to do with my company."

She told him.
 
He looked at her, seeing the play of emotions on her face and once more he was struck by how complex this woman at his side could be, but that he knew there was one thing for certain, she had a heart of gold and never shied away from showing it. Impulsively he slipped an arm around her and hugged her to him, it was a friendly hug, no ulterior motives,

"You do good, you are a good woman Lisa."

He patted her shoulder and allowed his arm to fall away,

"You are involved and love to give, I hope that I can help to give back to you as well."

He half-saluted her with his drink,

"You do deserve it yes?"
 
Lisa looked up at him in surprise as his arm went around her to hug her close.

"You do good, you are a good woman Lisa."

She could not help but miss his touch as he released her.

"You are involved and love to give, I hope that I can help to give back to you as well."

She blushed at his praise and laughed as he raised his drink to her.

"You do deserve it yes?"

She shook her head.

"I don't know about that. As long as the hospice benefits, that's all I care about."

She told him.

"It should be a fun afternoon, though. Lots of crazy games and silly stuff, but we usually do well fundraising wise ... "

She turned as Hilary called out, gesturing for her and Ivan to come over.

"Load up your plates then go picnic."

She instructed them as she gestured to the food set out along the kitchen worktop.

"Wow Hillary. You have been busy!"

The woman brushed away Lisa's praise and instead handed them paper plates and urged them, especially Ivan to take as much as they wanted and then shooed them out of the kitchen. Laughing Lisa guided Ivan to a quieter area behind the bouncy castle and gestured to a grassy area before lowering herself to the ground and making herself comfortable.

"Best take advantage of the calm before the storm."

She advised checking her watch.

"In an hour and a half this place will be buzzing."
 
Ivan allowed himself to be "bullied" into taking a plate and somehow ended up with loads of food. He followed Lisa and took a seat with her, he watched her and smiled slightly at the grace she carried herself with, how did she manage to appear so lovely and graceful without even trying? He looked out over the setting and then at her,

"The chaos is not what worries me, what does is the clean-up afterwards."

He motioned at the whole estate,

"You have to admit that the area is a vast one."

He smiled slightly,

"And we all know to what lengths children can go with their energy levels, especially when there is sugar involved."

He grew serious,

"Tell me more about this hospice and the children that comes here today, please?"
 
Back
Top