Well done Ireland!

It's all good. Just need to sort out their abortion law and they're home dry

Fantastic!

I think there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the RCC at the moment.
:D

Edit: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/archbishop-martin-church-needs-reality-check-678476.html

I think a lot of lay Catholics supported the referendum, and I heard at least one priest told his congregation he was voting Yes. The hierarchy, on the other hand...

That article about Archbishop Martin is interesting. I couldn't tell whether he was saying "the Church needs to change its position on homosexuality" or "the Church needs to improve how it markets its position on homosexuality".

from "STOP PRESS: Ireland Votes to Approve Gay Marriage" thread, http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1187583, on Politics Board, posted May 23:

Ireland Votes to Approve Gay Marriage, Putting Country in Vanguard

DUBLIN — Ireland became the first nation to approve same-sex marriage by a popular vote, sweeping aside the opposition of the Roman Catholic Church in a resounding victory Saturday for the gay rights movement and placing the country at the vanguard of social change.

With the final ballots counted, the vote was 62 percent in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage, and 38 percent opposed.

Go to New York Times story>>
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/24/wo...=66636455&_r=0

And look what crawled out from under his rock:

Pietro Parolin, the pope's right hand (and we all know what right hands are used for).

“This result left me feeling very sad but as the Archbishop of Dublin [Diarmuid Martin] pointed out, the Church will have to take this reality on board in the sense of a renewed and strengthened evangelisation. I believe that we are talking here not just about a defeat for Christian principles but also about a defeat for humanity,”

"renewed and strengthened evangelisation" ?

No doubt about it, his view is not exactly that the RCC has a problem.

“This result left me feeling very sad but as the Archbishop of Dublin [Diarmuid Martin] pointed out, the Church will have to take this reality on board in the sense of a renewed and strengthened evangelisation. I believe that we are talking here not just about a defeat for Christian principles but also about a defeat for humanity,”

I've been following the current Australian Royal Commission into child abuse lately; at the moment it's been dealing with abuse by Catholic priests around Ballarat. The testimony has been absolutely appalling - one class where 12 of 33 students have since committed suicide - and one of the biggest enablers, George Pell, was recently appointed to a high position in the Vatican.

The Bishop of Ballarat told some victims: "...you need to understand something, the church has endured for thousands of years and in another 40 years or so, you people will all be dead and all this will be forgotten about and the church will endure for thousands of years more".

My considered opinion is that if Archbishop Martin wants to lecture people about "Christian principles" and "humanity" he might be well advised to start within his own organisation. Failing that, he's very welcome to go fuck himself.

I've been following the current Australian Royal Commission into child abuse lately; ... the church will endure for thousands of years more".

tumblr_nbjpj0JbLs1tyugrlo1_500.gif

ETA
But lets not restrict this to Catholics - Methodists evidently guilty too

Last edited:
I've been following the current Australian Royal Commission into child abuse lately; at the moment it's been dealing with abuse by Catholic priests around Ballarat. The testimony has been absolutely appalling - one class where 12 of 33 students have since committed suicide - and one of the biggest enablers, George Pell, was recently appointed to a high position in the Vatican.

The Bishop of Ballarat told some victims: "...you need to understand something, the church has endured for thousands of years and in another 40 years or so, you people will all be dead and all this will be forgotten about and the church will endure for thousands of years more".

My considered opinion is that if Archbishop Martin wants to lecture people about "Christian principles" and "humanity" he might be well advised to start within his own organisation. Failing that, he's very welcome to go fuck himself.

Horrible!

Any other organization with that track record would have been abolished by law a long time ago!

Last edited:
What is the Irish equivalent of "Hip, hip, hooray"?

(Not a bad post, by the way.)

Thanks.
Maybe a bit provocative....

"Abú" could be the word?

"Éire abú"

Back