Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been to a funeral.

And I have been to quite a few. I remember my grandfather's funeral in particular. That was when the shock wore off and I finally wept in response to his death. Miss you Pop. :rose:

Sadly, my grandmother's funeral last year was one that I missed. I didn't have the chance to attend it (unable to get plane fare at the time). Miss you as well Ma Ma. :rose:
 

Annular solar eclipse,
20 May, 2012:

2012_annular_eclipse_stacey_watts.jpg



eclipse.jpg







 
Last week I visited the town where I was born. I left it shortly after my 4th birthday and last visited it in 1959.

I wanted to visit my grandfather's grave. I knew that he was buried in the graveyard alongside a named church that had been demolished in the 1950s.

I went to the other church in the town, hoping to find someone who could tell me where the demolished church had been. I found that the churchyard was the gathering place for the local alcoholics and there was no one else around. After all it was 7.30pm and raining...

I asked the alcoholics. They didn't seem at all puzzled by a request for directions to a non-existent church that had been demolished before they were born and gave clear and precise instructions, navigating by public houses. For example: 'Turn left, pass the Rose and Crown, continue along that road until you reach The Eagle, turn right...'

They even amended their directions to allow for me driving around the complicated one-way town centre.

I found the churchyard around the demolished church very easily. I then found my grandfather's grave near to the flat area of concrete that had been the footprint of the now non-existent church.

I crossed the road to the last landmark given to me by the alcoholics, the nearest pub, and raised a glass to the memory of my grandfather.
 
I washed my car yesterday. It's an old-fashioned car wash with the coin mechanism in a brick tower with a ledge. On that ledge was a little pile of coins, mostly quarters but a few nickels, too. I added two dimes to the pile.
 
I have never been to a funeral.

Funerals are not funny, although perhaps they should be lighter (I blame the Victorians for it).
I sincerely hope that the only one you'll go to is your own, by which time you won't be in a position to care.
 
I don't know how it got there, but there is a BAT flying around my bedroom... And of course I can't get back to sleep knowing this...
 
I used an elliptical machine at the gym for the first time on Tuesday. The bottom half of my thighs have hurt like hell and been almost useless since. How did my legs get so weak? :eek:


Ellipticals find muscles that you don't normally use. It's a different motion than running.

I run anywhere from 3 to 15 miles a week (outdoors or on a treadmill, depending on the season) yet discover each autumn when I begin to use the elliptical ( 'cause it's not available during the summer ) that it's like starting all over again from scratch.


 
Are men simply incapable of seeing when an apology is required? :confused: (Meaning on their part....they seem to be able to sense when they want one.)
 
I've been saving the cardboard cores from rolls of toilet paper for years. Over the three-day weekend just passed, I sorted them by height. Few are aware there's a wide variance in core heights when measurements are taken with laser interferometry equipment. I made a histogram from the recorded data. I gave the 100 tallest cores names. I named them after Greek gods and goddesses. I named the shortest one Admiral H. G. Rickover.
 
I've been saving the cardboard cores from rolls of toilet paper for years. Over the three-day weekend just passed, I sorted them by height. Few are aware there's a wide variance in core heights when measurements are taken with laser interferometry equipment. I made a histogram from the recorded data. I gave the 100 tallest cores names. I named them after Greek gods and goddesses. I named the shortest one Admiral H. G. Rickover.

Hmm... This is somewhat disturbing and yet I am intrigued by the histogram.
 
I must have hit Loving Wives on shark tank cleaning day. :eek:

Surprisingly the comments are going to make the rewrite before publication so much easier. One or two snarky ones but for the most part they are well thought out or at least well thought out for LW. :D

I hope I didn't make some of them think too hard. :eek:

Thanks for the help guys.
 
I usually change into street clothes before leaving the gym. But since today was 96F when I went into the building, I stayed in my workout clothes when I left. The temperature had dropped 10 degrees while I was inside. It has dropped another 16 since I left the gym, due to the thunderstorm that just blew through.
 
Whenever I walk my dog, he only takes a crap on a neighbor's lawn when the neighbor who owns the selected lawn is within sight and when I've forgotten to take a plastic baggie along with me.
 
Whenever I walk my dog, he only takes a crap on a neighbor's lawn when the neighbor who owns the selected lawn is within sight and when I've forgotten to take a plastic baggie along with me.


I know what that's like, Ben.

I owned a Fox Terrier for 15 years, and sometimes she did exactly what you're talking about.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top