The Official Authors' Hangout Valentine's Day 2018 Support Thread

oggbashan

Dying Truth seeker
Joined
Jul 3, 2002
Posts
56,017
I am starting this thread now so that writers have no excuse for not starting a story in plenty of time. The Winter Holiday contest is still running but the Valentine's Day contest follows a short time afterwards - about a month from this post. I have edited this post to show the actual dates now that Laurel has added the themed contests for 2018 to the sticky Welcome Authors! Please Read.

Valentine's Day
themes: romantic love, Valentine's Day, Cupid, sensuality, etc.
starts: January 19
closes: February 6
winners announced: February 13


This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the Valentine's Day Contest. Get your characters romantic and sensual, seeking love and experiencing excitement or disappointment.

There is an advantage to entering stories in one of Literotica's themed contests, apart from the possibility of winning, and that is that your story gets far more exposure and attention than it would normally do.

Some of that attention might be unwelcome, some abusive, but some could be appreciative and helpful.
__________________


Extract from Welcome Authors! Please Read:

PLEASE NOTE: DO read ALL contest rules. We had many cases of authors not putting the proper phrase in the NOTES field, which meant that we couldn't find their submission and thus they were not entered in contests. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do read the special contest announcements when they are posted (usually around two weeks before the contest start).
 
Last edited:
Fantastico! Sort of makes me feel like I'm with the program (instead of just having no life) since I've already started monkeying with a way to zap that little winged menace right in his diapered butt.

Pull!

E66E45072A944E4D8DB5717D2512D3E92F98C56A


Jeez, lady. That made MY ear hurt.

The one that started with a motorcycle "accident" that left the rider looking like Darkman (except with less teeth) isn't going so well, so I'm movin' on to Plan B I'm labeling "Bebe's Kids" for the nonce.

What have you got in the hopper?
 
I want to do my first f/f story taking place during a week long fashion show in Paris. It would happen between a fashion photographer and a fashion icon and be laced with glamour and melancholy.

The flavor is there. The problem is, the plot defies me.
 
Ohhhhhh I'm in for January! A Valentines Day story. :heart::heart::heart:

"Screw your Roses, Asshole" - coming right up!
 
Little change from this year.

I'm not enthusiastic about the April Fool or Nude Day contests. I find it difficult to come up with new scenarios for those. But all the contests are opportunities to get more exposure for our stories. I've had a lot of favorites on older stories during the Winter Holiday contest so far, even stories fifteen years old.

Valentine's Day is possibly the most popular one of the year for entries and for readers. If you are going to write for any 2018 contest, this one should be your target.
 
Now that I have some free time I might have a go. I don't expect to do very well but I need the practice and criticism if I want to improve. Now all I need is an original idea.
 
I'm not enthusiastic about the April Fool or Nude Day contests. I find it difficult to come up with new scenarios for those. But all the contests are opportunities to get more exposure for our stories. I've had a lot of favorites on older stories during the Winter Holiday contest so far, even stories fifteen years old.

Valentine's Day is possibly the most popular one of the year for entries and for readers. If you are going to write for any 2018 contest, this one should be your target.

I'm glad to hear you say that. I thought it was just me. Knowing you, sir, have trouble with those as well makes me feel just a tad better that I have trouble.

But, I'm probably the only one to miss Earth Day. (And not just so I can get the AH riled up by calling it "ED", either. I never did get to use that idea for biodegradable condoms.)

But, we're getting ahead of ourselves. It's ... wait for it... VD! The holiday spread by bumping uglies or hoping to! (Oh, come on. You knew that was comin' sooner or later.)

And as usual, I've got a whole litter box full of ideas, but I keep trashing the first few paragraphs and starting over. :cattail:
 
No, you're not the only one to miss Earth Day. I still try to write my story ever year, contest or no.

I'm unlikely to ever enter the April Fool's Contest, because that theme has absolutely zero appeal to me.
 
I too miss Earth Day. I still have a folder of part completed stories for that contest.

One of them has been in process for ten years. I know how it will end but the characters have decided to wander off into uncharted territory. When I started it, it was going to be a contemporary setting. When I finish it will probably be set in the past of about a decade ago. :rolleyes:
 
I'm the opposite - I have a wicked bunny for the Fool contest, but nothing for VD yet. Depends if I'll have time to write it though - my life's in a bit of upheaval at present.
 
Earth Day, April fools day, Straw Bear day I don't care much. Give me the theme and I'll find some kind of story for the holiday.

What I really want to write a story for is "Up-Hell-Aa" day in Scotland. I could really get a holiday with torches and Vikings and drinking horns.
 
Time to pop this back to the top. Valentines Day will be here sooner than you think.
 
Hmm. I may have gone too far off the reservation. I mean, that's hardly a surprise considering my past efforts. But, this one may well and truly have gotten out of hand.

Long and short, a kid's long time on again/off again sweetheart breaks up with him since he's going to be out of town for Valentine's at a stock show. At the stock show, he meets a gal and it's pretty much hate at first sight. The pair of them don't soften just a whole lot until the Valentine's shindig the evening after the sale.

I don't know. I guess that's all well and good. But, I couldn't resist naming the gal Patti.

You gotta watch your heart, son, when cupid's around and you know the chips are down.
 
I'm not really cooking any Valentine bunnies but a sardonic one just hopped by.

Guy wakes up (alone) with the usual piss-on. But when he goes to pee, it hurts. Oh shit, the clap! He heads downtown and sees a makeshift sign in a doorfront: VD CLINIC. He enters, hoping for medical help, but finds it's a workshop for creating artsy Valentine Day cards. He's about to leave but... well, the gals are comely, and friendly, and he ends up spreading a VD epidemic. Cue the cackling ending...

At least no tentacles are involved.
 
Less than a month to the start of this contest...

Ngah!

HOW do I keep doing this to myself? I swear, I start on the next contest almost as the last one is still tallying votes. I've got the concept firmly entrenched and the plot mentally mapped. All that's left is to get from A to B(e Fappy).

Yet, somehow, by this point, I'm always wondering if I'm going to finish by the CLOSING date! :eek:

*(ETA: and Hypoxia, I think I'd pay to read that one. Just the concept made me gigglegasm.)
 
It's been a while since I took part in any of the contests and my streak of non-participation will continue for Valentine's 2018 as well.

However, I'm thinking of reviewing any story a reader requests for. My reviews are usually kind and appreciative. If there is criticism, I try my best to make it constructive.

All I ask is the story have a plot to it beyond "part A slot B". I'm especially interested in off beat, unconventional stories. Tragic and melancholic themes are welcome, as are darker storylines.

I don't have any preferences for categories, but excretionary fetishes and extreme BDSM might be a bridge too far. I'll let you know if I cannot review your story for any reason.

PM me your story once it is submitted, a brief synopsis and anything you want to me check out in particular.
 
I've been in the last two VDay contests. I may as well do it again. Heck, I even have an idea of sorts.
 
I'm in, if I can get it in on time. I have the final chapter of another series to get done first, but I've started on my V-Day story. I had the same intention for the Halloween Contest and wasn't able to get that one done, so we'll see.
 
Does anyone know if it's OK to leave additional information to Laurel in the Notes field, beyond the exact text to enter the story in the contest? Or is it that text and nothing else?
 
Does anyone know if it's OK to leave additional information to Laurel in the Notes field, beyond the exact text to enter the story in the contest? Or is it that text and nothing else?

So long as the exact contest phrase is in the notes section ( I would suggest it be the first thing ) then you can add other notes. I've done so before without delaying the contest posting.
 
Back
Top