The Power of the Throne (closed for Ravenloft)

The real loki rose from the corner where he hid when she scolded his mirror self and strode silently up behind her, only a few steps away, so as not to interfere with her dancing. It was nice to see that the ancient dances had not been forgotten, and he had to wonder who it was that had taught her them.

She certainly was practiced, why hadn't she pursued the arts, he wondered again. She could certainly have pleased gods and kings, she was pleasing him after all though he would never admit it to a mortal. She danced closer and closer to his mirror image reaching out to touch him causing herself to stumble as she passed right through him.

It was then that the real Loki stepped in, he reached out and took her by her wrist and spun her around, catching her in his arms. There was one long moment that they looked into each others eyes, Loki's expression unreadable as he stared back.

Then he ran his hand up from her wrist to her hand and took hold of it. At the same time he reached down and took her other hand as well, drawing her into an impromptu dance. "Hell is for other people." He whispered with a mischievous glint in his eyes, purposefully misquoting Jean-Paul Sartre.
 
Ivy gasped as she was suddenly spun around by the real Loki, his hands clasping her wrists. She was tipsy to think long on the mirrored image, but wondered for a moment if she was more drunk that she thought and had imagined something. She didn’t have long to think on this as her attention was brought to his eyes. They were a beautiful shade of blue and she found herself captivated for a moment. In that moment she forgot what she had read about him in the newspapers and simply looked at him. It caused a tinge of red to creep up her neck into her cheeks.

She blinked a few times and turned her attention back to dancing. As he held her hands she shimmied to the sound of her own voice, making up the sounds of the song but no lyrics. She let go of his hands to do a hippy swirl, her arms swaying above her head, and then faced him again. She was allowing herself too much freedom, she blamed the mead. She stopped dancing and let her arms fall to her sides as she smiled a bit blushing.

“See, clearly cannot handle your mead.” She offered as an excuse, feeling embarrassed for dancing now before looking up at him. “Perhaps I should be off to bed. I hope you have something for a hangover in the morning.”
 
Loki followed his finger tips in the wake of Ivy's creeping blush. "That's a lovely shade of red." He whispered softly as she blinked a few times, returning his hands to hers so that they could dance together for a moment. She quickly let herself be free to just feel the music she was making and more than just Loki's heart swelled from the unbridled beauty of it.

"Oh...." Loki groaned as Ivy stopped, excusing herself, feeling she had had far too much mead. "Perhaps, but you are quite enchanting when you are drunk." Loki admitted with a sly grin. "Hang over? Why should you have a hang over? You were only drinking water after all, sorry if I fooled you, asgardian mead is really quite potent, and I need your mind clear in the morning so that you can continue your work." He stated, stepping around her, taking the pitcher he had poured for the two of them from, pouring himself another flaggon, this time the liquid was clearly water.
 
Ivy raised her eyebrow at him. “I’m going to have to keep a closer eye on you sir.” She told him with a slight smile, showing her amusement. “Then why do I feel this way? I don’t feel drunk per say…just extremely relaxed and well…just good I guess. This usually happens when I drink…maybe it’s something in the food.” She shrugged and threw in a few more shimmies and a twirl, still in the mood for dancing but not in the mood for embarrassing herself further.

She walked towards him slowly and clasped her hands in front of her. “How long to you plan to keep me here?” she asked softly. “I can’t guarantee a completion date for the technology…and I don’t have any clothes or anything to wear. Won’t anyone find it curious that Odin has decided to bring a human to Asgard?”
 
"Not too close I hope, it will make fooling you a challenge." He teased, looking her over, pondering what could be making her feel so relaxed. "Perhaps it is merely that you have taken a break from your work for the evening and... Let your hair down, so to speak." He observed her as she did a little more dancing.

"You are quite good, tell me, why did you not chose to become an entertainer instead of a scientist? I could watch you sway to your own tune for hours." He was seriously considering keeping her simply for her skill at song and dance even after she managed to figure out how she had found her way to Asgard.

"I'm afraid I cannot return you home, how am I to know if I could trust you not to simply go to the government and lead my brother, Thor, right to my door step. So, for the time being, please consider Asgard your home... Away from home. Do not concern yourself with such details, I have things well in hand. To the rest of Asgard, you will appear as a valkyrie and thus will not be out of place. And you shall be provided with as many garments as you desire."
 
“Oh…I used to dance and sing when I was in school. However, my natural curiosity and well, I do tend to day dream a bit, which actually lead to the portal cubes, got the best of me. I felt that there was too much for me to try and figure out in the world to not go into physics. Now I just sing and dance for fun, for me really.” She explained.

She heard his answer and nodded her head. She was sure once she got him the answers he desired, he would take her back. She could leave everything here…she stopped this train of thought. Too much had happened that day for her to care, she was fairly exhausted.

She was surprised at his answer, at what her outward appearance would be.

“I’m surprised you would put me in a position of such power. I certainly don’t want to choose who lives and who dies…too much responsibility for me.” She teased him. “This Valkyrie is quite tired. If it pleases you I would very much like to go to bed, if you would be so kind as to show me to my room, it would be greatly appreciated.”
 
"Well, you have a gift, not only with science, but with art as well. Its a shame that you keep your artistry to yourself. You are really quite beautiful." Loki complimented her, taking her hand and giving it a light kiss. "You easily have the charm of a goddess of Asgard in the sway of your hips and the dulcet notes of your exquisite voice."

"Oh, no, you would not have to do anything of the sort, I would introduce you as a personal guardswoman, none would be the wiser." Loki explained, releasing her hand and turning to lead her to a private bed chambers for her to rest. He opened the doors to her room, it was very spacious and well furnished with reds, greens and golds dressing the walls and four post canopy bed, the privacy curtains drawn open to reveal a bed full of silks and furs and a number of downy pillows to rest her head upon. "I trust that this will do?" He asked, ushering her within.
 
Ivy rose her eyebrow at him suspiciously. “I’m not sure whether to believe you if you are just making fun of me again. But, I suppose I’ll take it as a compliment, why not. The other would just vex me and I am no mood to vexed.” She told him. “You are a rather nice dancer yourself. Perhaps I will teach you the meringue or something soon.”

She escorted her to her room and she was, of course, amazed to be in such luxury. She herself was at home so little she had paid it little mind. It was studio with a bed and a some of her artwork and little else. Being in a palace after living in a shoe box for so long was a little overwhelming.

“I suppose it will do…a little small and unkempt, but I think I can manage.” She told him as she walked in. She was pleased to see a large bathing pool near and archway looking out over the city. She couldn’t wait to take advantage of it. Not mention the exquisite bed. She wasn’t sure she would be able to get out of it in the morning.

She turned around and faced Loki. “Thank you, once more, of your exceedingly generous hospitality. I’m not sure what time it is, or exactly what measure of time you use here, but what time should I present myself in the morning?”
 
Loki smiled roguishly and nodded. "Good choice, if I wanted to make sport of you, I'd be much more direct, I can assure you of that. Perhaps I will have to try and vex you at some other time, I suspect you are even more beautiful when you are vexed." He said, stepping forward to touch her long red hair in admiration before letting it fall from between his fingers. "Thank you Ivy Wild, I don't often have reason to dance, but I do try to keep myself fit for it. Meringue?" He asked, unsure of what sort of dance that might be. He hadn't seen earthly dances since the time of christ, when mortal beliefs made it hard to be a god on earth, after all.

Loki laughed over Ivy's little review of the room he offered her. "I am pleased that it meets your lofty expectations, if only just." He said with a grin, liking her sense of humor. "It is late, I shall take my leave of you now. Oh, take as much time in the morning as you like, if you take too long, I will simply send for you." Loki said, stepping out of the room and turning to give her a polite nod before willing the door to her room shut with a slight flick of his scepter. Pleased with himself he went to Odin's chambers to rest for the night.
 
She watched him leave the room and wondered why he was being so complimentary towards her. From what little she knew of him, he did not seem to care much for others, only for himself. However, she couldn’t deny that he was quite charming, when he wanted to be. He was witty and fun, albeit quite mischievous, but then again, he would not be Loki without his tricks. She smiled a little to herself and then walked to the bathing pool.

She wasn’t sure how it worked, but as she touched the many bottles and candles that rested around the pool, she placed her hand on a large shell and the pool filled. She wasn’t sure she could get used to this world of magic without logic or science, but it fascinated her. She had always thought in ways that were abnormal for most people. She would see a problem and then break it down into it’s small pieces all in her head. It was no different now, only, she knew not how to make that breakdown.

She decided to let the mystery go and simply enjoy it. She undressed and then walked into the pool. It was like heaven to her, the water swirling gently around her. She sat on a ledge seat that was in the tub and reclined. She looked out over the view of the city and wondered if she would wake up from this marvelous dream tomorrow.

She bathed, using the amazing bathing oils and soaps that were around the tub and then stepped out and dried off. She then crawled into the glorious bed and sighed as silk sheet moved against her skin. Yes, this must be a dream, everything was too fascinating and wonderful to be true.
 
Loki found sleep impossible, although he didn't really need it, it had its uses, like passing the time while mortals got theirs. He wondered what this remarkable woman was doing now, tempted to go and watch her in secret. He caught himself and further wondered why he found her so interesting. She was only a mortal woman, even if he did take an interest in her he knew that she would quickly grow old and die while he remained perfect.

All she was here for was to complete her mathematical formula for traveling through wormholes and turn it over to him. So why, when he closed his eyes, did he only see the sway of her hips and the licking flames of her red hair? He quicky dismissed the thought that she had somehow enchanted him, she was a scientist, not some sort of witch. The hours crawled by in this manner as he waited for morning to come.
 
Light crept through the large open arches of her room and woke her sweetly. She opened her eyes and smiled a bit. She was the most comfortable and relaxed she had been in a very long time. She feel of the silk against her body was heavenly. Much to her own surprise, she was rather excited to wake up in Asgard. She supposed it was the childish sense of wonder that she had managed to hold onto all of her life. After all, being in a completely new realm, an new planet really, was literally something people had only dreamt of, and here she was, watching the sun rise.

She slowly rose from her bed and walked to what looked like a giant armoire. She saw some dresses in it and was not sure how or what to wear. As if on cue, a female attendant came into her room and offered her help, which Ivy kindly accepted. Within the hour, she was dressed in a beautiful mint green flowing gown with a cream colored wide leather belt that went from just under her breasts to her waist, and was tied like a corset in the front. Her hair was put up at the top with the rest of her fiery mane flowing down her back. On one of her arms a golden cuff was placed. She moved to look herself over in the mirror and was delighted with what she saw.

“Thank you!” She smiled softly at the girl and then kissed her cheek before letting her go. Ivy then put on the matching slippers and headed towards the dining hall where they had feasted the night before. It was heavy with food and she helped herself to some fruit and some kind of pastry looking thing. She took it over to a reclining bench by the window. She felt so elegant, almost as if she were Cleopatra as she ate. The city truly was beautiful. She wondered if she might persuade Loki for a tour.

Loki…now there was a peculiar fellow. He seemed to harsh and cold when she first came, however, when they ate dinner, more specifically afterwards, he seemed almost…charming. There was no doubt that he was attractive, and even less doubt that he knew it. While he was, from what she understood, a cruel and violent man, there was a moment, when they were dancing, that he seemed quite pleasant. She shook away those insane thoughts and worked on eating, after all, she was being forced to solve an equation that had no solution, at least not that she knew of. It was like telling a writer to write a novel in 5 minutes. She needed her time to think and ponder, staring at the walls. While seemingly pointless and unproductive, it gave her mind the ability to relax and wander. This was how she usually got many of her best ideas and thoughts.
 
"Ah, there you are! I have need of your services, valkyrie, as my personal body guard." Loki called out, in his guise as Odin while the servants and other members of the asgardian court were still around. Once he was sure they were alone, Loki shed the guise. "My, you look lovely, dressed as a proper asgardian, I must say. Like the spitting image of Freya, when she was much younger, and not quite so lascivious as she is now, having bedded her own brother..." Loki caught himself, revealing more than he should. What was wrong with him? He was never so off his guard as he was around Ivy.

"So, tell me, what do you need to continue working on this equation of yours?" He asked, quickly changing the subject before she could pry further into that little chink in his armor. "Whatever it is, it shall be provided to you, you but need to ask." He reassured her with a regal kiss upon her hand.
 
For the briefest of moments she wasn’t sure what Odin was talking about, but quickly sprang up and followed him. Soon they were along in the lab that he had created the day before. She smiled as he kissed her hand, trying not to think of the Freya story had chosen to relay to her.

As he moved away from her hand she fidgeted for a moment. “I need….time. I need the materials to send out some more of my cubes and track them. Once I find a common denominator, if indeed there is one, only then will I hopefully be able to create a projection algorithm.” She turned around and walked to her table of notes for a moment and then looked back at him.

“What if I am unable to solve it?”
 
"Then time you shall have!" Loki was secretly pleased, he liked having her around. "What sort of materials would you need?" He asked, regarding her with a regal look. "I have every confidence in you and your abilities, you found a way to asgard once, you can do it again."

Loki silently considered the thought that Ivy might not be able to solve the equation and had merely gotten lucky once. He laughed at the thought, things like this rarely happened for no reason or by accident. He slipped up, close behind her, so that she could feel his presence at her back."Then, I suppose you would become a permanent resident of asgard and I could take you as a concubine..."
 
Ivy could sense that he would allow her all the time she needed. She truly wanted to figure out how to map her cubes trajectory, but she would have to build more of them.

“Well, I would need to have access to a gps satellite on earth, or at least a way to find out where the cubes end up. I’ll have to send more of them to figure out if there is a pattern or if they’re going to their locations completely randomly. If it’s the latter, I may not ever reach a solution.”

It was then that he told her what he would do with her if she didn’t find the solution. She blushed hotly at his suggestion of an alternative career path in Asgard. She could feel the heat of his body against her back causing her to close her eyes and swallow hard for a moment.

“I’m sure Asgardian women would be much more pleasing in that department than a mere mortal.” She said a bit nervously.
 
"I cannot allow you direct access to earth, the risk of drawing my brother's attention would be far too great, and would only lead to my own ruin. However, I can make it so that you have complete awareness of where your little cubes end up with my powers, if you so desire."

Was that the heady hint of arousal Loki sensed from Ivy as she swallowed hard and spoke, nervously. Loki grinned, pleased with himself over her reaction. "We Asgardian's are so long lived that what pleasures could be felt with one another has long since been explored... A hundred fold. You, however, are unique, in the way that you blush, the way that you hold your breath at a mere touch. Last night, the way that your hair flared like fire and the slow, natural sway of your hips... Not like the practiced, boring routines of an asgardian dancer..." He closed the distance, touching her back with his hand, them moved it to her her shouder, turning her to face him as lust flickered in his eyes.
 
Ivy was at first confused by his words and movements. However as he continued his diatribe, she had to smile back at him. His eyes told her that he wanted her, which she found interesting to say the least. After all, what little she knew of his character dictated that he needed no one and nothing to remain contented. However, he also seemed rather pleased with himself that she blushed at his words.

“Well then, “ she back softly, the slightest of smiles playing at the corners of her mouth, “I supposed, I will need a map…” she told him as she slowly leaned in. Her lips were nearly touching his, her soft warm lips caressed his own. “And a tour of Asgard….” She said seductively and then pulled gently away to walk towards her work station.

She looked back at him mischievously as she gathered a fresh notebook and a pen.

“If you aren’t…preoccupied of course.” She grinned teasingly.
 
Loki looked deep into her eyes as she drew near to him, cradling the back of her head in his hand as her lips nearly touched his. He closed the distance, stealing a kiss before she drew away, imparting an almost god like sense of awareness in her.

Loki wet his lips after the kiss, dwelling on the taste and warmth of her lips before clearing his throat. "Ahem, yes, a tour could be arranged, but we would have to pose as Odin and Valkyrie once more. Come, I'll have a chariot made ready and we may leave at once."
 
Loki was barely able to make contact as she move away and towards her workstation.

“Well aren’t you a naughty boy?” she asked with a raised eyebrow. She walked towards him and gave him as solid a smack on his ass as she could through all the clothing and the cape. She then tucked her notebook and pen into a small satchel that she saw sitting on a nearby table. She put it on, the strap crossing across her chest and then looked up at him.

“Perhaps we will get to be so far into the country that no one will be around to see your true self. I suppose only time will tell no?” she smiled with a teasing sweetness.

“I’m ready when you are.” She told him and then followed him through the castle and to the chariot.

This, of course, was her first time riding a chariot, up until now she had only associated them with Ben Hur and Gladiator. She was surprised that she felt a bit nervous about riding in it. After all, there was no back to secure her, and something told her that an Asgardian chariot did a bit more than any earthling chariot could.

She stepped on, behind “Odin” and held onto the chariots railing and hoped desperately that she wouldn’t fall off and become some sort of Asgardian road kill.
 
"I've been called far worse, I can assure you of that." He teased back, flexing just in time to give her a nice firm ass to slap. "I could take you to Yggdrasil, the world tree, where my father once hung. We could be alone there, save for the stags, dragon, eagle and squirrel of course." He said as he led her to the waiting chariot and gave her a helping hand up into it.

The moment she was safely on board the chariot an energy field of glowing blue light formed around them, keeping them safely inside and shielded from naked space. There were no horses to draw the chariot, it simply rose and took off, responding to Loki's silent will. "So, Ivy Wild, with all of space laid before you, tell me, where would you like to go?"
 
Ivy bit the inside of her cheek to keep from yelping when the chariot took off. She had a fear of heights, or more specifically, falling from them, that took all of her nerve to calm.

She looked out over the expanse of Asgard and couldn’t help but be in wonder. It was obvious that this place didn’t exist with the same principles that earth did. It seemed to have a horizon that lead off into nothing, only, unlike earth, it wasn’t a optical illusion. The water was a cerulean blue that seemed almost as if it had been painted there by some astral god.

The mountains were majestic and as they left the city, the scenery became more green and rocky. In her mind it reminded her of Ireland, the deep greens and the rugged terrain, only she certainly was nowhere near the emerald isle.

“Take me to the tree you mentioned.” She told him.

They moved through the sky and over the terrain until they reached a tree that Ivy could have only dreamt of. It looked ancient, as if it were made of hundreds of trunks wound together. Small waterfalls fell from the branches in a way the science couldn’t explain. She was in awe of it’s beauty.
 
Loki looked upon Ivy as she was obviously shaken by the height with which they flew and chuckled mirthfully. "No harm can come to you within this chariot, Ivy Wild. I assure you, it is completely safe."

He looked over her again a few moments later and was pleased to see her no longer frightened, but rather staring out in wonder. "To the tree, it is than." He nodded, turning the chariot's path, at one point, giving her another fright by shooting straight down, through billowing sheets of cloud, seeming to break through into a completely different world below.

"Here... We... Are..." He said slowly as he weaved through the wild branches of the tree in a circling pattern until he landed at the base of the tree. "Watch your step, and whatever you do, don't talk to the squirrel. He has a penchant for mischief." It must have sounded like a joke, but the tone with which Loki said it made it clear that he was being quite serious.
 
Ivy screamed as the chariot shot down, instinctively grabbing Loki and burying her face in his chest. Once they slowed and then finally landed, she punched him in the chest, though it felt little more than a tap to him. She then tried to calm herself enough to get out of the chariot, biting back a tear or two and composing herself.

She stepped onto the soft ground beneath her and wanted to laugh about the squirrel. However, given how serious Loki’s voice was, she supposed he actually meant it.

She walked slowly towards the tree and knelt reverently at one of it’s roots. She reached down and touched it gently with her fingertips and felt a surge of energy start to creep up her fingertips. She pulled her hand away and smiled. It was sheer positive energy. Had she been on earth she would have thought it the energy of mother nature herself.

“It feels so…powerful.” She said as she stood again and walked to Loki. “How..what is it exactly?”
 
Loki had only intended to give them a thrill with the way he drove the chariot on, not to frighten Ivy again, but in the end, having her bury herself against his chest for security had made it worth it. "You should learn to trust me, Ivy Wild." He said with a sly smile, even as she punched him.

He busied himself with retrieving several things from a compartment hidden on the side of the chariot while Ivy went on to explore. He came to her side, carrying a basket full of food and drink and looked over her shoulder to see what she had touched. "Of course you do, they are the roots of life, i'd wager you just gained about seven years of life with that one touch. If you don't waste it on anything silly, like flying, or punching holes through walls. It does nothing for immortals, like me, but touching them for even a minute, you could give the hulk a run. Hah, now that would be something to see, the oaf being beat by a fiery red headed she-hulk!" He grinned maliciously over the thought and said "Call me puny, will you..." under his breath.
 
Back
Top