Which gun do I use?

But guys and girls, have you ever considered the destruction that would ensue if a rabid raccoon got a hold of an assault rifle!??

RaccoonMinigun.jpg

I doubt it's even the best choice for most people most of the time.
I don't carry on a day to day basis--I have mace with my keys and I know the basics of how to use my body to escape and defend myself.
I have a gun in my home but that's my choice.
The point, I think, is that it should be a choice.

I doubt it's even the best choice for most people most of the time.
I don't carry on a day to day basis--I have mace with my keys and I know the basics of how to use my body to escape and defend myself.
I have a gun in my home but that's my choice.
The point, I think, is that it should be a choice.

I couldn't agree more with Lady!
When people asked about owning a gun for protection, my advice was always the same.

Are you prepared to kill someone who is threatening your life? If not, a gun is not a good tool for "scaring" criminals away.

Guns require no permit? At all? Seriously?

Not here. You do have to pass a background check if you buy one from an licensed dealer. Which is silly because criminals don't buy them where someone writes down a serial number and who bought it.

Now, if I actually still lived beyond rifle range of my nearest neighbor as I have at times, this would be paradise.

I know guns can seem to be intimidating, but the "I wonder if I am going to get shot" feeling paradoxically goes down when there's a 1/2 a dozen guns in the cafe and an armory in the parking lot.

When you go to a gun show you have to demonstrate that the gun you are taking in with you is unloaded...but they will helpfully sell you ammunition and extra magazines inside.

Interestingly, no one has ever tried a take-down robbery in a gun show.

It DOES sound a bit insane on the surface doesn't it?

It is still on my bucket list to learn to fire a gun. Maybe I'll get to it this summer.

You should! I took a handgun safety course last summer. The classroom time was very informative and the time out at the range was a lot of fun!

It is still on my bucket list to learn to fire a gun. Maybe I'll get to it this summer.
Absolutely you should, I went mostly out of curiosity and because it was one of hubby's things he liked to do (I was trying to do the 'common ground' thing) turns out I love it.
Go to a well managed range and make sure you are familiar with the weapon first.
Word to the wise that the men won't think to tell you--high necked top, and wear a hat. The first thing I discovered is that I'm the shortest one in the room and with taller guys on either side the hat is a must have when spent casings are flying.

I know guns can seem to be intimidating, but the "I wonder if I am going to get shot" feeling paradoxically goes down when there's a 1/2 a dozen guns in the cafe and an armory in the parking lot.

This is, quite simply, the single most bizarre thing I have ever read on LIT.

And that is saying something, believe me.

You feel "safe" with a half a dozen guns in the cafe and an armory in the parking lot?

Interestingly enough, I manage to go out and about my business every single day and never worry about getting shot precisely because I don't have to worry about how many guns are in the cafe.

This whole mentality of guns making you so much safer literally blows me away. I know I said I was going to stay off this thread, but God damn...just...no words. :(

Thanks for the apparel tip! The hat is probably still a good idea, although I'll likely be as tall as the men or even taller than a few. :)
In my sneakers I'm just 5'4" so I'm shorter than all of them. I wear a cap. The top is a must in any case.
We were there once and some guy had brought his gf I guess. She'd worn a low cut top (bless her heart) and of course the first thing that happened was a spend casing went right between her boobs. She sounded like a scalded cat. Now I can sympathize to some degree but coming out of that top was not the thing I'd have done. (Well, brass that hot down my bra I might have.)

This is, quite simply, the single most bizarre thing I have ever read on LIT.

And that is saying something, believe me.

You feel "safe" with a half a dozen guns in the cafe and an armory in the parking lot?

Interestingly enough, I manage to go out and about my business every single day and never worry about getting shot precisely because I don't have to worry about how many guns are in the cafe.

This whole mentality of guns making you so much safer literally blows me away. I know I said I was going to stay off this thread, but God damn...just...no words. :(

But true.

Hell, half the time I forget I'm carrying until I start to in somewhere and they have a no firearms sign posted.

A firearm is a tool like anything else in other places in the world you are more likely to get knifed,chopped or blown up as shot.

When I go into a restaurant to eat or anywhere else I don't give much thought about the place getting robbed or someone shooting up the place or anything else. Here in Texas in most places at least 10% of the people are armed although you wouldn't know it by just looking.

Even one of my Grandmothers carried a S&W .38 and a knife in her purse and that was years and years before it was legal.

If you are smart you don't screw around with people here. Fighting is one thing but if you go Trying to kill somebody well...you are asking for it.

Last edited:
In my sneakers I'm just 5'4" so I'm shorter than all of them. I wear a cap. The top is a must in any case.
We were there once and some guy had brought his gf I guess. She'd worn a low cut top (bless her heart) and of course the first thing that happened was a spend casing went right between her boobs. She sounded like a scalded cat. Now I can sympathize to some degree but coming out of that top was not the thing I'd have done. (Well, brass that hot down my bra I might have.)

I'm pretty sure this belongs in a fetish thread....

...at least I was getting a little hot reading that.

Where did you stay to have 'Roo poo all over the yard?

Bargara Beach, I believe. A friend picked us up when we arrived and it ready for us. We "unwound" for a few days before spending a week diving out on an island eco-resort.

There were kangaroos all over that yard. Got a great pic of one silhouetted against the ocean with the sun. :)

Around here, we have a deer problem. Way too many, they're destructive, and it's too densely populated to shoot them.

Aaah yep. You'd have kangaroo's in places up there.

We could have easily spent the entire 3 week trip in either Australia or New Zealand. Everything is so far apart.

It was cool seeing the kangaroos, but the locals aren't too pleased to have so many of them around.

and some countries have more tools
Number of guns per capita by country
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

I see Serbia is second on your list. Here is excerpt from Serbian gun policy (and as far as I know my country has pretty similar):

The regulation of guns in Serbia is categorised as restrictive.
In Serbia, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law.
Applicants for a gun owner’s licence in Serbia are required to prove genuine reason to possess a firearm, for example, self-defence, hunting, target shooting, collection, and certain employment-related reasons.
An applicant for a firearm licence in Serbia must pass a background check which considers criminal, medical and other various records.

The civil war that separated ex Yugoslavia was only 20 years ago, what directly affects number of firearms in countries affected. You cannot just slap them all together with countries who didnt experience something similar.
Heck, kids are still finding weapons and bombs from WWII in secluded caves in my country, I am sure that doesnt happen in USA.

Lists like that without historical background can be deceiving.

Heck, kids are still finding weapons and bombs from WWII in secluded caves in my country, I am sure that doesnt happen in USA.
so where does that really place USA?

This is not "my" list, but purely an attempt to highlight gun ownership per capita, which could be correlated to the number of deaths from firearms within a so-called peaceful country.

My country is ranked 42 - I am glad of that.

Here is another Wiki list (again, not mine)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Click on the column headings to order the lists.

A "tool" for what?
Maybe it should be for teaching me to keep my mouth shut!
(Kidding! before anyone has a fit and starts posting domestic violence numbers.)

A gun is wood and metal and plastic put together in a certain way so that it will do a certain thing. It is a tool. The uses that tool gets put to depend entirely on the hands that pick it up.
It can be used to commit crime, certainly, or to threaten and hurt others.
That is not it's only use.
It can be used to feed your family when they're hungry.
It can be used to protect them when they're in danger (not always from other people.)
It can be (as it is for me) used in a sort of recreation.
It can be part of a form of sport that is even included in the Olympics.
It can be a valuable collectors item.

Once before (somewhere else) I made the mistake of saying what I think on this topic and someone asked me what good my gun would do me when I was starving to death. That was years ago and it still rings in my head.
There is a sort of fear around guns that I do understand. I believe that it comes in part from a simple lack of exposure to anything but the news items of people who have picked up that tool and done terrible things with it. As a person who was raised in a different mindset I see things differently. I see that it is possible for a powerful tool to be used to do dreadful things and it gives me a great deal of respect for that weapon when I hold it in my hands. It is no toy, nothing to be treated lightly. It is not, however a thing to be feared.

I fear the person who would pick up a gun and do violence with it. I fear that person whether he is holding a gun or not.
I fear the ignorant person who would treat any powerful thing as a toy because they are reckless and dangerous no matter what he is in control of because he does not control himself.
I fear people full of hate or righteous zeal because they will use any tool to accomplish ends that I find questionable.

I don't fear an object. I don't fear a compound bow or a rifle or a sword or that chainsaw that I threw out as a comparison to a movie title (although I once watched someone get hurt in ways that still make me sick to think of who had experience and skill using one.)
An object can't do evil. It has no will or volition, it can't choose to act. Only a person can do that.
I don't fear an object. I fear the person who would pick up an object and do harm and I know in my heart that the person who wants to do harm will do it whatever tool they have even if they have no tool at all.

Last edited:
A "tool" for what?

Killing shit. What else?

I own several guns and I'm absolutely in favour of gun ownership. However, I am not opposed to stricter regulations on who gets guns. I can literally walk into a gun store today and buy an AR-15 (assault rifle) with no wait. For you non-Americans, that's this:

300px-Stag2wi_.jpg

Now, I've heard the argument, "Well, it just shoots 22s." That's true. But to can shoot like a million of those fuckers a minute. They are semi autos, but with add ons, you can make them fire 600-700 rounds per minute. Even without them, you can shoot a LOT of them. On top of that, they travel at about 1000 meters per second.

And as I said, I can walk into a gun store and walk right out with one of those. That's pretty crazy.

Again, I'm all for gun rights. I've shot ARs numerous times. They are fun to shoot. I'd own one myself if they didn't cost like a dollar a round or whatever they cost. I blew threw $20 in about a second. I just think we should use a little more common sense regarding them.

Killing shit. What else?

I own several guns and I'm absolutely in favour of gun ownership. However, I am not opposed to stricter regulations on who gets guns. I can literally walk into a gun store today and buy an AR-15 (assault rifle) with no wait. For you non-Americans, that's this:

300px-Stag2wi_.jpg

Now, I've heard the argument, "Well, it just shoots 22s." That's true. But to can shoot like a million of those fuckers a minute. They are semi autos, but with add ons, you can make them fire 600-700 rounds per minute. Even without them, you can shoot a LOT of them. On top of that, they travel at about 1000 meters per second.

And as I said, I can walk into a gun store and walk right out with one of those. That's pretty crazy.

Again, I'm all for gun rights. I've shot ARs numerous times. They are fun to shoot. I'd own one myself if they didn't cost like a dollar a round or whatever they cost. I blew threw $20 in about a second. I just think we should use a little more common sense regarding them.
If you owned that gun, would you kill someone with it?
(that is meant as a sincere question, not sarcasm)

If you owned that gun, would you kill someone with it?
(that is meant as a sincere question, not sarcasm)

I would not kill anyone. I'm proud to say that the number of people I've killed remains well under 10 and I intend to keep it that way. Unless you consider my stunning good looks and jokes, then I'm killing on the daily. But I'm proud of such a small number of killings, considering how fucking ridiculous people are. Have you read some of these threads here?!?

But just because I would not kill anyone with it does not mean I am free from worry concerning lunatics out there doing the same thing. Just as I would trust myself to walk about in the unattended home of someone rich without stealing their stuff. That doesn't seem to be a complete sentence, but I don't care. Just because I trust myself in that sense doesn't mean I trust others to offer that same courtesy. It's the same reason you (probably) lock your house when you leave, have your money in a safe place and have passwords to your accounts that aren't "12345". What I would do with the gun is of no consequence.

That gun is for one of two things. Fun or assaulting people. It's not for home protection. Unless you are concerned with protecting your home from The Sudan or something like that.

I am not even saying that a gun like that should be illegal. But no background check or waiting period? I could be pissed off and go into a store and purchase something that could kill hundreds of people in minutes?

Back