The Stranger (Closed for heartofcourage)

"Oh they can have all the fun they can handle when we come back here and if they want this spot. I'm not taking chances with people trudging around in the twilight or dark, not with the groups of animals we had come across still roaming about."

He took a sip of his water and leaned back in his seat as he watched the team going at their work. "Have you worked with these guys before? They seem quite relaxed with you."
 
"A few times. Some of them are really great people. A few just see this as a pay check and are all business. Some are new." Jen said, relaxing in the seat beside him as they watched the crew work. "I've been thinking about taking a break from everything. I know that the more popular I am, the more money they make, but I'm tired. I think I have been for a while."
 
"Judging from all those dates I saw on the web page, I can think that you are tired." He took a sip from his canteen and offered it to her. Pretty sure that sharing a canteen would be a small issue. Of course this innocent gesture made it on film in the form of a camera.

"Perhaps you should take a hiatus, get rested, sort out things in your life and then see where you would want to go from there." He smiled, "I know of a place where your stardom will not follow you and where you can rest if you don't have a place."
 
"After all of this wraps up, I might just come back for a proper vacation." Jen said with a chuckle as he offered her a sip from his canteen and she gratefully took a sip. "And then it will be back for movie premiers and interviews and everything else that goes along with the opening of a film. I wish it were simpler."
 
"In this life, nothing is simple."

He took the canteen from her and placed it back.

"Even this life which seems like it can be easy and relaxed is far from it. But it has it's moments. Especially after dark."

He gave her a cheeky grin and then turned his attention back to the crew, "But if you wish to come back here, I can think of a few things you can do that will keep you engaged and help you relax. Like feeding the orphans at Base."
 
"Baby animals, you say?" Jen asked with a grin. "You might have just sealed the deal. I'll have to take a look at my schedule when we're back at camp and I'll be able to tell you a little more firmly what I'll be able to do and when."
 
"If you have enough space available, I might even be cajoled into giving you a private four day hike."

He tapped the horn, drawing the attention of the crew. "Time to pack it up. I don't want to be away from the main group during dark."

He waited for the final photos and measurements as the group rushed to finish. He glanced up at the sky and then at Jen, "If this wind keeps blowing, we might be in for some rain in the next two days or so."
 
"Rain might push the production schedule back. It would mean a few more long days for me, but nothing unusual." Jen said with a sigh as she thought about rain. "The curse of being famous and signing on to a grueling movie shoot."
 
He smiled and her,

"Well at least that would also mean us running out of food and having to make a supply run."

He chuckled

"Then again, tonight you should dance around the fire in a snakeskin thong and invoke the gods of rain to hold back their bounty for a week or two. I am pretty sure they will take heed."
 
"You just want to see me naked." Jen said as she slipped her glasses back into place and gave him a grin. "Admit it. You liked what you saw last night."
 
He chuckled, "Only a dead man would not have liked what I saw last night and even then I have my doubts that he wouldn't."

He gave her a wink and looked at the staff who was busy making their way back towards the vehicle, speaking slightly softer. "I really wouldn't mind seeing it again."
 
"Well, where will you be taking me tonight then?" Jen asked, looking over at him as he lowered his voice and admitted that he wouldn't mind seeing her naked again. "I'm afraid that our sleeping accommodations are too cramped and public to be doing anything intimate like that."
 
He gave her a smile, "Just be ready to sleep under the stars tonight."

He didn't say anything about the subject further, his conversation turning to the crew which had all clambered aboard as he started the vehicle. It seemed like they had found their next shooting spot and he knew it might become a long day, but the thought of Jen being willing to spend time with him, away from the group, just made him worry much less about it on their way back to camp.
 
Jen was already dreading the upcoming filming days that it seemed she was destined to have. She wasn't joking when she said that if the schedule was delayed, it would mean many long days for her. Then she would be whisked back to London for all of the small little details that came with the ending of a film before the debut. Then she was taking a long break. No if, ands, or buts about it. She deserved a rest.
 
They made it back to camp just as the dark started to settle in, the last bit of light disappearing on the horizon. He parked in the light thrown by the various lights and waited for everybody to get off, draining the last bit of water in his canteen. He could smell food cooking, so he knew that the catering staff had been doing their bit.

After making sure that everything was in order and nothing serious had happened in his absence, like people wandering off, he filled his canteen with cool water, got his cup of coffee and went to sit down on the bonnet of the vehicle, looking at the discussions and planning going on in that peaceful time just before dinner.
 
Jennifer had been waylaid by the director and the shooting assistants, brought into an informal meeting about the change of venue and scenery. It would put their arrival back in London a week later than they had anticipated, but the film could be sent off for editing before they arrived. Getting home a week after they had thought was a major bummer, but she kept herself calm and cool through the discussion. They were paying her good money to be there.
 
Finishing his coffee, Dave got the bedrolls and stretchers packed into a backpack. It would take a short hike, still near enough if something happened, but secluded enough for the two of them. He set the backpack ready and joined the group, getting himself another cup of coffee. Sipping the warm liquid he wandered over to the meeting and listened in.

"You will have to organize with the management if you want to stay longer. We will need some provisions and food brought to us as well."
 
"Not to mention some other things." Jen commented, obviously not pleased at the extended time that they were going to spend there. "Like some creature comforts. A nice hot shower wouldn't be too much to ask, would it?"
 
He chuckled, "You mean a nice warm shower where you didn't have to look for creepy crawlies before taking a shower."

He knew what she meant though and he couldn't fault her, it was nice to be out in the field, he could do it for weeks, since that was his job. Let nature run it's course and make sure nothing threatened said nature. He was used to living like that, she and to be honest, the whole crew, wasn't used to this kind of live.

"I also believe that we will need a generator, so if we move camp, these basics we have here, will not be there anymore. Unless you aim to drive around two hours from a camp to the site and two hours back again every day. We will need a water car and judging from that time table you mentioned, a diesel tank as well."

He shrugged, "That can be provided, just need about a day to move it all out."
 
"I refuse to wake up any earlier. I don't care how much of a diva that makes me sound." Jen stated, looking towards the director and the rest of the crew. "Why can't we just stay here? The scenery is nearly identical and it would be much less work than packing everything up."
 
"Well I guess they want the waterfall in their shots, maybe they even want to make you go for a swim and film it?"

Dave gave her a grin and took a sip from his coffee as he withdrew from the discussion having given his input.
 
"Oh, I'm sure that you'd like watching that." Jen said, giving him a sideways glance as he murmured something about her swimming in the waterfall. "I guess I have little say in the matter. I'll do whatever they want because they're paying the bills."
 
Dave gave her a wink as she mentioned that he would like to see her swim. In fact he would not prefer it, not that there was any danger from animals in the water, but there could be animals thinking she is either a threat or a tasty treat.

He recalled the previous evening and smiled.

Tasty treat indeed.

He finished his coffee and took it to the kitchen.
 
Jen watched as Dave simply grinned and went on his own way. She knew that he was probably imagining her inside of the pool, nude, swimming as he watched on. It was probably a dream come true for him, but it was more work for her. However, if they were paying, she would suck it up and do as they asked in the sake of getting this movie over and done with.
 
Dave moved about, checking on the stores and making notes of what they might want to get. He could radio it in and go pick it up at the main camp when it was ready. He did want the group to live as comfortable as possible, but if you wanted to film the wild, you had to get some hard living done as well.

The meeting had finished and he made sure to hold up a cup of coffee to catch Jen's attention.

"You don't seem very excited. Didn't they tell you about having to shift locations?"
 
Back
Top