Of the Fells

"And how does someone find a dragon caller?" Valentina asked in interest. "I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with that particular skill."
 
"Most don't know they can until they do it by accident," Khali explained. "It's usually those with an affinity for animals and of werefolk or at least part werefolk blood. The last caller I've heard of was about... Fifty years ago. In the far east somewhere. I imagine your niece might know the story of Sun Liang. But most people never know if they're callers or not because dragons simply don't live in reachable places anymore. Most have retreated to mountains and unenterable valleys. In Invah's case, she's half water dragon so she can hide on land or in water."
 
"Perhaps we will be lucky enough to find someone like that in our lifetime." Valentina said as she heard Alex laughing and she glanced towards the meadow to see her son playing with the small dragon. "What is your grandson's name?"
 
"Rahman, after my mate," Khali said with a smile as the boys chased around. "He's my only grandchild at the moment to my knowledge. My children have all gone their own separate ways around Europe and Africa, but my oldest daughter and her mate here followed me from Egypt a few decades ago. I've been here since I was about... one-hundred or so. I was a very young mother for my kind at fifty, so Salen was almost forty when I left with my own mate."
 
"Theo and I believe that Alex has some were blood in him. I have hopes that one day he will be comfortable to explore his biological family." Valentina said softly. "He is ours in every sense of the word but I don't want him to forget where he comes from."
 
"Do you have any idea of who his parents were?" Khali asked, welcoming the couple to sit with her in the grass.
 
"His mother's name was Anna." Valentina said as she and Theo sat in the grass to talk. "She passed from a cancer. We only knew her a few hours before she died. She didn't want Alex to go to a orphanage and her husband had long left them behind."
 
"If you know her surname, you might be able to find out where she came from. If not, I'm sure there must be someone who knows of Alex."
 
"She said it was Carrigan." Valentina murmured. "I'm not sure if that was her married name or her maiden name. Alex is very adement that he keep his name as Alexander. It might have meant something to his mother."
 
"Not related to the Kerrigans in Meath?" She asked. "They're all werelions from the Danuuri tribe. If I remember the story correctly, they were slaves in Greece til an Irishman bought their freedom. They took his surname when they arrived here, and one of the couples in the family named their human son Morgan after him."
 
"It's possible." Valentina said. "He doesn't remember his father at all. It's probably for the best if a man can leave a sick woman and a little boy behind like that."
 
"Perhaps. But we don't know the circumstances by which it all came about. I don't know if Alex ever wants to know his mother's family, but if he does, you might have him start there."
 
"It's all something that we will have to talk to him about when he's older." Valentina said softly as her gaze turned towards Alex again. "He's happy now. That's all that matters to me. If he wants to know his biological family when he's old enough to understand, then we will do our best to make sure that he meets them."
 
"He's a lucky little boy, that much is clear," Khali murmured. "Even if his mother did ask for him not to go to an orphanage, most people in your situation and your line of work would never have taken him in, especially as young as you. But you two fit together so well."
 
"I have Theo to thank." Valentina said, looking at her lover with a smile. "He makes sure that I can have the best of both worlds and all of the support that I need."
 
"Hold onto him, then. Men like that don't come around often," Khali smiled to Theo at that.

Alex and Rahman soon returned, Alex to Valentina and Theo and Rahman to his parents. Theo let Alex crawl into his lap, finding the boy already tired out.
 
"Tired, bambino?" Valentina asked with a grin as Alex relaxed against Theo with a tired sigh. "Khali was telling us about Inverness kipper. We were thinking about one day, maybe someone can convince her to show herself."
 
"How?" Alex asked quietly as he leaned against Theo.

"Well, when you get home, I want you to ask some of the local werefolk about dragon-callers, dear. They'll be able to tell you everything you might want to know," Khali explained. "I'm sure Inverness has books about them too."
 
"I'm sure that between you and Annie someone can find the answer." Valentina said as she pushed her fingers through her son's hair. "You two are the smartest children that I know. Perhaps it can be your quest."
 
"I might have to search the whole world to do that, Mama," Alex reminded her. "I'd rather stay and help you."

"If it's meant to be, you'll find who you're looking for," Khali assured him.
 
"Well, you are in luck that your Mama wants to see the world too. Your Da has already promised to show me everything that I want to see." Valentina said as she glanced towards Theo with a wide smile.
 
"We'll go anywhere y'want, soon as y'like," Theo said with a relaxed shrug.

"We should go to Italy," Alex suggested.
 
"We could go to Italy. Mama spent most of her summers growing up in Venice with Papa. Maybe Nonna and Papa can go with us. Your Nonna loves Italy." Valentina said with a smile towards Alex as he mentioned wanting to go to the place of his grandfather's birth.
 
"Can we meet Uncle Van on the way?" He asked softly. He was always nervous about meeting new people, but he'd heard so much about Van and he knew Valentina was named after the man.
 
"Of course. Your Uncle Ashien too." Valentina said with a smile at Alex. "They will be very excited to meet you, bambino."
 
Back
Top