Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very dirty, Handley, and I mean that in a good way. LOL

I thought this one might have been posted before, but a search said no;

ombudsman - noun plural a government official (as in Sweden or New Zealand) appointed to receive and investigate complaints made by individuals against abuses or capricious acts of public officials

Does America have any ombudsmen, and if so, where are they? If not, why not?

Very dirty, Handley, and I mean that in a good way. LOL

I thought this one might have been posted before, but a search said no;

ombudsman - noun plural a government official (as in Sweden or New Zealand) appointed to receive and investigate complaints made by individuals against abuses or capricious acts of public officials

Does America have any ombudsmen, and if so, where are they? If not, why not?

Ancient Egypt had something like it; the Pharaoh send Inspectors to talk to the people and see how the government was functioning.
We in England have only had an Ombudsman for various matters for a decade or two. They work better if they have a freer hand, but politics being what it is. . .

omnifarious - adj of all varieties, forms, or kinds

Of course, should not be confused with Omnivorous:

adj
  • 1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Zoology) eating food of both animal and vegetable origin, or any type of food indiscriminately
  • 2. taking in or assimilating everything, esp with the mind
  • [from Latin omnivorus all-devouring, from omni- + vorāre to eat greedily]

Curricle a smart, light two-wheeled chaise or "chariot", large enough for the driver and a passenger and— most unusual for a vehicle with a single axle—usually drawn by a carefully matched pair of horses. It was popular in the early 19th century: its name — from the Latin curriculum, meaning "running", "racecourse" or "chariot"[1] — is the equivalent of a "runabout" and it was a rig suitable for a smart young man who liked to drive himself, at a canter. ...

Coquelicot ( /ˈkoʊklɨkoʊ/ KOHK-li-koh) is a shade of red. The term was originally a French vernacular name for the wild corn poppy, Papaver rhoeas, which is distinguished by its bright red color, and orange tint. It eventually passed into English usage as the name of a color based upon that of the flower. The first recorded use of this usage was in the year 1795.

Regency Romances can require a lot of dictionary time. :p

Well, Handley, America could use a good ombudsman, that is for sure.

Thanks, Harold, for all the interesting words you posted. It is good to know romance writers are using words that need to be looked up. I find that very encouraging with my novel. I never know how intellectual to be for erotica readers.

ombre - noun an old 3-handed card game; also: the player in this game who elects to name the trump and oppose the other 2 players

Metayer

a person who works the land using tools, seed, etc., furnished by the landlord and who receives a share of the harvest in compensation

Hello, thefishfryer, that is a new to me. What country is it used in? I don't recall ever hearing that word here in California.

olio - noun 1. OLLA PODRIDA 2. a miscellaneous mixture or collection: HODGEPODGE, MEDLEY

olla - noun 1. chiefly Southwest: a large bulging widemouthed earthenware jar with looped handles used esp. as a pot for stewing or as a container for water 2. chiefly Southwest: OLLA PODRIDA

olla podrida also ollas podridas - noun (Sp. lit., rotten pot) 1. a highly seasoned stew made of one or more meats and several vegetables cooked in an olla 2. OLIO 2

I think it is of French origin.

metayer /meteje/ n. Pl. pronounced same. L18. [Fr. f. med.L medietarius, f. medietas half:.] A farmer who holds land on the metayage system.metayage /meteja: (pl. same)/ n. a system of land tenure in western Europe and the US, in which the farmer pays a certain proportion (generally half) of the produce to the owner as rent, and the owner generally provides stock and seed L19.

---------------------------------------------------------
Excerpted from Oxford Talking Dictionary
Copyright © 1998 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

a system of land tenure in western Europe and the US, in which the farmer pays a certain proportion (generally half) of the produce to the owner as rent, and the owner generally provides stock and seed

Americans probably know it better as Sharecropping:

Sharecropping is a system of agriculture in which a landowner allows a tenant to use the land in return for a share of the crops produced on the land. Sharecropping has a long history and there are a wide range of different situations and types of agreements that have used a form of the system. Some are governed by tradition,and others by law. Legal contract systems such as the Italian mezzadria, the French métayage, the Spanish mediero, or the Islamic system of muqasat, occur widely.

Harold and Handley, thanks for the additional information on what I know as sharecropping. I should have known it started in Europe and moved here.

Oliver - noun [Fr. Olivier] one of the twelve peers of Charlemagne and companion-in-arms of Roland

Another interesting trio of words;

oligophagous -adj eating only a few specific kinds of food

oligopoly - noun a market situation in which a few producers control the demand from many buyers

oligopsony - noun a market situation in which a few buyers control the demand from a large number of sellers

Last edited:
Harold, definitely a typo. Thanks for catching it. I will change it to read properly anyway.

olibnaum - noun FRANKINCENSE

A good Sunday to everyone;

olericulture - noun a branch of horticulture that deals with the production, storage, processing, and marketing of vegetables

Here it is Monday and another week, but the last one of summer, sad to say.

old-wife - noun 1. any of several marine fishes (as an alewife, menhaden, or triggerfish) 2. OLD-SQUAW

old-squaw - noun a common sea duck of the more northern parts of the northern hemisphere

a common sea duck ...

The only Seaduck I know of :p

conwing_l_16_sea_duck_by_inflated_hips-d3anh2j.jpg

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/200...ng_l_16_sea_duck_by_inflated_hips-d3anh2j.jpg

Good one, Harold.

Thanks, Og.

old style - noun 1. cap O & S: a style of reckoning time used before the adoption of the Gregorian calendar 2. a style of type distinguished by graceful irregularity among individual letters, slanted ascender serifs, and but slight contrast between light and heavy strokes

Old Style - adj using or according to the Julian calendar

There is an entry in my dictionary for;

old sledge - noun SEVEN-UP

Which lead to;

seven-up - noun an American variety of all fours in which a total of seven points is game

Which lead to;

all fours - noun pl 1. all four legs of a quadruped or the two legs and two arms of a biped 2. sing in constr: any of various card games in which points are scored for winning high, low, jack and the game

Does anyone know how the game is played?

There is an entry in my dictionary for;

old sledge - noun SEVEN-UP

Which lead to;

seven-up - noun an American variety of all fours in which a total of seven points is game

Which lead to;

all fours - noun pl 1. all four legs of a quadruped or the two legs and two arms of a biped 2. sing in constr: any of various card games in which points are scored for winning high, low, jack and the game

Does anyone know how the game is played?

No.

But reminds me of a then illegal Australian game of Two-Up, played with two old Australian pennies launched into the air from a Two-Up board. The players placed bets on which combination of Tails and Heads would occur.

Large amounts were often gambled away on Two-Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back