August 2015 Challenge: Wtf is it this all about?

What if you don't watch much tv? If you don't just make a theme song up, can you use an old tv show? It doesn't have to be current, right?

#4 is a gimme, Mag! My own favorite was Jeremy Brett's take on the protagonist , but Benedict Cumberbatch came in a close second.

#4 is a gimme, Mag! My own favorite was Jeremy Brett's take on the protagonist , but Benedict Cumberbatch came in a close second.

Jeremy over Benedict ?!?

Gasp gulp ack !

Teenage girls around the world just swallowed their tongues in protest.

I just wanted to emphasize that your televsion theme does not have to be in the form of a song.

While The Twilight Zone had its kooky music to accompany a batch of bizarre images flashing across your screen, Rod Serling always introduced each story with tantalizing hints regarding what you were about to witness without giving the plot away.

Saturday Night Live merely rattles off the names of each performer against a background of band music.

Jeremy over Benedict ?!?

Gasp gulp ack !

Teenage girls around the world just swallowed their tongues in protest.

And there ya go.... My teenage years long past me... I just saw "Mr. Holmes" - Ian McKellen did a terrific job. I really enjoyed the movie.

#5 is All In the Family
That's a really good guess, Trixie. I was thinking it was for a made-up show, but I like your guess.

I'm going to be real surprised if it turns out to have been written by someone other than gm, though. The voice, the use of unmetered rhyme in a kind of funky pattern, the use of vernacular all peg it for me as being gm's.

Last edited:
Of course, that was a bad example - because if there ever really was a television show about a superhero named Super Penis, you would have easily guessed the name of the show.

And yet it is a good example, because I guarantee you'll be singing Super Penis to yourself while you are trying to relax in the bathtub.

:rolleyes:

For a minute there I thought your example was about Dick Tracey. :rolleyes:

I gots to tell you yawl, this challenge has me inspired into tackling a bunch of half baked ideas written down that were just idling, going nowhere.

That's how I roll. Turn it into a TV show theme. Turn it into a Broadway musical number. Turn it into a rap. If it ain't working out like you intended, do something different

Last edited:
Number 6 is about Downton Abbey, though I don't have much of a clue who wrote it. The use of "stirrup cup" makes me think it's someone English or with an English background (UYS or Tess--probably not butters as she normally writes in lower case). The "endeth" makes me think it might be AlwaysHungry, because he often uses archaisms in his sonnets, but the style doesn't seem right. Maybe gm, as he'd look up a detail like "stirrup cup" (which, for all I know, is in the show, since I've never watched it).

I could further narrow the field by suggesting Angie, Mer, Trixie, etc. The only person I know for sure didn't write it is me.

Pressed for a name, I guess I'd pick gm.

#13 made me LOL, read it to the family, they got a chuckle too. It's obviously written to the Addams Family tune, I don't know how popular a show about a bunch of poets would be, but I'd watch it :D

"Hooray" (I think number 11) is Cheers.

I don't watch much TV, and I rarely come to Lit now, So I don't know too many people (unless they are long term members) So I can't really guess who the authors are. But there are some talented people on this comp.

:)

mags, apologies for not entering your challenge - i'm stupid busy at work, 6 days a week still covering for the manager after 9 weeks. to be fair, i'm not sure i could have done this anyway... it looks really hard! been some funny responses so far, clever, too. :cool:

#14 sounds like a mash up of The Monkees and Dobie Gillas

definitely could hear 'hey hey, we're the monkees/people say we monkey around/but we're too busy livin'/to put any body dowwwwwwn.... jus' tryin'abee friendlee....'

loved it. had a little thing for Davy Jones :D

definitely could hear 'hey hey, we're the monkees/people say we monkey around/but we're too busy livin'/to put any body dowwwwwwn.... jus' tryin'abee friendlee....'

loved it. had a little thing for Davy Jones :D

Davy Jones was a little guy.

Not sure if his thing was little though.

mags, apologies for not entering your challenge - i'm stupid busy at work, 6 days a week still covering for the manager after 9 weeks. to be fair, i'm not sure i could have done this anyway... it looks really hard! been some funny responses so far, clever, too. :cool:

Busy being stupid at work is no excuse!

Back