The Olympics


That lucky SOB :)

and.. oh boy... last night was hard.... I found myself fixated on curling!

1518531782432.jpg



Holy Pelmeni!
 
I can't tell one skier from the next. Then they over lap video of two skiers at the same time and I still can't tell them apart.
 
I was rooting for Javier. How does one falter but not quite fall and still win at skating?
 
I'm not enjoying the Olympics as much. I think the coverage is weak. Not enough compelling stories. The X-games events don't appeal to me.
 
I'm not enjoying the Olympics as much. I think the coverage is weak. Not enough compelling stories. The X-games events don't appeal to me.

I think you have an important point. The back stories about the athletes, their unique training regimens, their setbacks & comebacks, their family history in the sport, their rivalries, or just the sacrifices they and their family make to reach this point.

Any of that stuff makes the competitor interesting, and inspirational or relatable. I don't think there's been enough.

I much prefer the measured events to the judged ones. I'd rather watch a snow cross race than a snowboard trick competition.
 
Not a lot of that old drama applies since none of these people are actual amateurs anymore. Really hard to claim true individual suffrage/sacrifice when you're getting professionally paid decently (at least) by both government and corporate sponsors. The Olympics, which used to be the very acme of amateur sports, have gone total pro now but they don't come close to actually measuring up to the acme of pro sports leagues today.
 
The French ice dancer slipped a nip.

Ice dancing is boring in that no one ever falls, so I appreciate their attempt to liven it up.
 
The outfit of Gabriella Papadakis joins the short list of notorious Olympic skater clothing, along with Tonya Harding's shoelace and Sonja Henie's tutu.
 
Back
Top