Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is quite interesting, Trysail. Thanks for continuing to share the words you don't know while reading. It is a wonderful thing, to be a person who still reads, as opposed to watching TV exclusively.

pericynthion - noun PERILUNE

That is quite interesting, Trysail. Thanks for continuing to share the words you don't know while reading. It is a wonderful thing, to be a person who still reads, as opposed to watching TV exclusively.

pericynthion - noun PERILUNE

Strictly speaking, pericynthion is the correct form. Perilune, though much more common, is in fact an improper formation. Peri- is a Greek prefix meaning near or around, while -lune comes from the Latin word luna, for moon. Thus, perilune is an ill-formed hybrid.

Last edited:
Curious but true, I feel that the best advice I'm going to get on this will be here. I'm wondering about getting a passion flower for the garden and I really love the classic one (as pictured in post above). However there are some interesting exotic flowers with all sorts of daring colours available. What do you think? Classic original with subtle yet still alluring colours? Or snazzy new cool school more like a Folies Bergere dancer? This would be for a damp back garden which doesn't get much sun. Maybe we need the bright colours .... But I love classic originals.

:heart:

Peregrination
noun
literary or humorous
a journey, especially a long or meandering one.

Origin:
late 16th century (earlier (Middle English) as peregrination): from Latin peregrinat- 'travelled abroad', from the verb peregrinari, from peregrinus 'foreign, travelling'.

Thanks, Carlus, for the clarification. It is always appreciated.

Naoko, I would go with a combination of the two. The new hybrids are not always as hardy as the older varieties. Although I am amazed by the new colors of daffodils, tulips, and roses, they just don't seem to thrive like the tried and true kinds. I often go flower and plant hunting in the forest near my home and bring back things to my garden. We have wild azalea and sword ferns as well as these delicate flowers called bishops' hats that I have moved to my yard. It is very exciting to see them take root and enjoy their new home.

pericope - noun a selection from a book: specif: lection(1)

lection - noun 1. a liturgical lesson for a particular day 2. a variant reading of a text

Thanks, Carlus, for the clarification. It is always appreciated.

Naoko, I would go with a combination of the two. The new hybrids are not always as hardy as the older varieties. Although I am amazed by the new colors of daffodils, tulips, and roses, they just don't seem to thrive like the tried and true kinds. I often go flower and plant hunting in the forest near my home and bring back things to my garden. We have wild azalea and sword ferns as well as these delicate flowers called bishops' hats that I have moved to my yard. It is very exciting to see them take root and enjoy their new home.

pericope - noun a selection from a book: specif: lection(1)

lection - noun 1. a liturgical lesson for a particular day 2. a variant reading of a text

Thank you. I knew I'd get good advice on here. That's so helpful. (Sorry to take so long to get back, I had a head cold and while I could probably flirt on my deathbed - "Oooh, vicar, what would you give me for my soul, then?" - I need my faculties to chat on here.)

AllardChardon, I think you'd like my writing desk! which I've finally managed to get put into an avatar for my profile here (see left). It's 18th century and has the name 'Jane' engraved on a small brass label in gothic script on the top, although I don't think it's the divine Miss Austen's desk. Like her, I'm prone to run-ons and need a smart editor although the resemblance between our writing stops there! :rolleyes: My mum bought me the desk, I don't think she envisaged me writing werewolf stories on it ROFL. I like writing at a slope, it's much better for the posture.

Here, our Christmas roses have survived the snow!

391914_414348225314687_1596667206_n.jpg

This word doesn't quite start with a p, but I thought I should share it. I got it from an American friend, whose mother told him that the poker they used to use to lift the plate from the top of their old wood-burning stove was called:
Lifter leg and poker

AllardChardon, I think you'd like my writing desk! which I've finally managed to get put into an avatar for my profile here (see left). It's 18th century and has the name 'Jane' engraved on a small brass label in gothic script on the top, although I don't think it's the divine Miss Austen's desk. Like her, I'm prone to run-ons and need a smart editor although the resemblance between our writing stops there! :rolleyes: My mum bought me the desk, I don't think she envisaged me writing werewolf stories on it ROFL. I like writing at a slope, it's much better for the posture.

I have inherited my father's writing companion. It has a pair of glass inkwells with brass lids and carved recesses for pens, pencils, paper clips etc.

He was presented with it in 1952 by his colleagues when he was promoted and moved from London to Gibraltar. The wood came from timbers replaced on Nelson's flagship HMS Victory. It was made by coopers in the yard's workshops.

Many items have been made from HMS Victory's wood. From time to time some of the structure needs replacing because of rot or wear. The wood removed is frequently reused to make souvenirs. It is now difficult to tell how much of HMS Victory is original and how much is later repairs. Even before Trafalgar HMS Victory had been repaired many times. She was an old ship then.

I have inherited my father's writing companion. It has a pair of glass inkwells with brass lids and carved recesses for pens, pencils, paper clips etc.

He was presented with it in 1952 by his colleagues when he was promoted and moved from London to Gibraltar. The wood came from timbers replaced on Nelson's flagship HMS Victory. It was made by coopers in the yard's workshops.

It's such a privilege when you have something beautiful with a history of its own to write with. I enjoy it so much.

Many items have been made from HMS Victory's wood. From time to time some of the structure needs replacing because of rot or wear. The wood removed is frequently reused to make souvenirs. It is now difficult to tell how much of HMS Victory is original and how much is later repairs. Even before Trafalgar HMS Victory had been repaired many times. She was an old ship then.

The ideal of the HMS Victory continues even if the actual pieces of wood disappear!

I can't quite call to mind Plato's word for this (Og? Handley? Carlus?). I don't think it was eidos, although it might have been. He used the analogy of the horse. All actual horses are slightly different but there is an ideal of horsiness which we carry about in our minds by which we judge whether something is a horse.

A principle much used in

Postmodernism - Well, the OED describes it as a general distrust of theories! which is not quite it. In architecture, it's where lots of different styles are drawn on in a pastiche or irony.
Zygmunt Baumann once described this movement of thinking as: If modernism is a passenger liner sailing in a particular direction, then postmodernism is sitting in a boat off to the side, looking on at the liner's movement.

Like my grandfather's ax.

Its handle has been replaced two dozen times, and its head twice.

But it's still my grandfather's ax.

Last edited:
Very entertaining posts, I must say. Thanks everyone for sharing. I only have one question for Naoko. Does this mean you actually use pen and paper to write, instead of the old fashioned typewriter or today's computer programs? I can barely write correctly anymore, because I rarely do. LOL I am a good and fast typist, though.

peri - noun 1. a supernatural being in Persian folklore descended from fallen angels and exculded from paradise until penance is accomplished 2. a beautiful and graceful girl or woman

Very entertaining posts, I must say. Thanks everyone for sharing. I only have one question for Naoko. Does this mean you actually use pen and paper to write, instead of the old fashioned typewriter or today's computer programs? I can barely write correctly anymore, because I rarely do. LOL I am a good and fast typist, though.

peri - noun 1. a supernatural being in Persian folklore descended from fallen angels and exculded from paradise until penance is accomplished 2. a beautiful and graceful girl or woman

Peri is a lovely one!

Oh yes. If you get a close-up of that picture you can see that that's my first werewolf story on the desk. (ROFL - why I wrote that is a story in itself!) I use a Waterman pen and Diamine inks.

I'm thinking of a word! :heart:

Naoko, it is a pleasure to meet someone, who still writes their stories with pen and paper.You are right, I would love your desk, and my mother's name was Jane. Actually Nellie Jane, but the southern tradition of using the middle name as a first name was big in my mother's family. But, it did not carry into our family for some reason.

pergola - noun 1. ARBOR, TRELLIS 2. a structure usually consisting of parallel colonnades supporting an open roof of griders and cross rafters

pergola - noun 1. ARBOR, TRELLIS 2. a structure usually consisting of parallel colonnades supporting an open roof of griders and cross rafters

This is a pergola at Bodnant Gardens, North Wales:

bodnant.jpg

This is a more traditional version of a pergola:

Aspen_Pergola_Bower_Woods.JPG

Last edited:
Og, you are a wonderful friend to have on this thread. Thanks for the great links. I would love a structure like the second one in my back yard to create shade on those hot summer days. Someday, maybe...

perfuse - vt 1. SUFFUSE 2.a. to cause to flow or spead: DIFFUSE b. to force a fluid through(an organ or tissue) esp. by way of blood vessels

Piscatorial
of or concerning fishermen or fishing.

HP will like that one! (Coarse fishing, one presumes?)

I wish I could clone my desk for you, Allard!

We have a pergola. (And I must go and visit the Bodnant one!) When we moved into this house, the garden was a charming assemblage of areas of dirty gravel mixed with cigarette butts, paved areas and concreted areas. People said, "Are you going to dig it out yourself?" It took two men and a pneumatic drill a whole day to do it.

By mistake I asked for a trellis instead of a pergola! Fortunately we discovered what I meant before the miserable little trellis was constructed, so there we see the importance of using the proper seldom-used word.

:rose:

PS Today I'm so glad I use pen and ink! In some sort of probably hideously symbolic absentmindedness I typed over the top of my best chapter with the next chapter and lost it all - or would have done if I didn't have the paper copy written out in longhand. Phew!

Last edited:
Instead of a pergola, perhaps you could have a peristyle?

Peristyle-House.jpg

Most monastaries in England had colonnaded cloisters in which they wrote. They were based on Roman Peristyles.

Pergola, peristyle, it all looks good to me.

This next one is used, but I love the sound of it;

perfunctory - adj 1. characterized by routine or superficiality: MECHANICAL 2. lacking in interest or enthusiasm: APATHETIC

A little angler action, huh? I live on the upper Sacramento River, where it is still wild, and plenty of fly fishermen drive a long way to try their luck in my specific area. Between the value of their rods and gear, along with their stylish outfits, these guys spend thousands of dollars to not catch a fish. LOL

Super Bowl Sunday! Go Niners!

perforce - adv 1. obs: FORCIBLY 2. by force of circumstances

A little angler action, huh? I live on the upper Sacramento River, where it is still wild, and plenty of fly fishermen drive a long way to try their luck in my specific area. Between the value of their rods and gear, along with their stylish outfits, these guys spend thousands of dollars to not catch a fish. LOL

I've always thought that fishing is primarily an excuse for getting out into wild country.

I've never needed that excuse. Or any other. :D

Well, it's a good excuse to get some fresh air and exercise, as well as doing something which does not have a programme.
I seldom catch anything, but it's fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back