"Does It Pay to Be A Writer?"

I believe the NY Times allows three free views per month so this link should be workable for most of you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/books/authors-pay-writer.html

The book referenced in the article is here:

https://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Writ...ea1bd9ccbc2ae[i]dPG37o[z]m[d]D&tag=vulture-20

This is pretty consistent with similar research I've seen from Australia and the UK: only a tiny fraction of fiction writers make enough from writing to live on, most are dependent on other means of support.

That, in turn, skews the range of perspectives we get in professional writing.
 
Call me whatever you wish but the quoted expert "sounds" like a publisher's bulldog.

Traditional publisher's are on their way out. As simple as that. No matter what expertise and experience a publisher may have, a large majority of the works published simply flop. Any published work is throwing clay at the wall to see what sticks.

Self publishing is a harder path but is the great pain in the ass for the old fellows, still trying to defend their dominance with tooth and nail. It takes a lot of work and endeavour to actually make a name for yourself but unless you are aiming really high (like becoming a millionaire) you can't really get disappointed.

With the advent of social media, traditional publications are shrinking. And I really don't believe this will change. But this also opened the gates for every and anyone putting their names out there.

Who is who to tell this or that work is not worthy to get read? And just how many really fantastic works were left in the dust because some publishing house didn't saw it as worthy of hitting the market?

Regarding big retailler's like Amazon, I've read a few articles advising against publishing through them directly and even less with an exclusivity agreement exactly because of the increasing percentages they are taking from sales. Scouting smaller retailers, where the author's payout can go up to 80% of the retail price is worth the work and selling straight from your website is also an option.

I've met some people that started writing as a hobby (and even as a therapeutic outlet) and after some time and effort started incrementing their income, up to the point they were capable of dedicating more and more time to writing and less and less to other more conventional venues.

There really isn't a "golden bullet".
 
I wish I had kept the link, but either on the NY Times or MarketWatch there was a story in November about who gets published and when is the best time to have your book published.

In short, the big guys (King, Patterson, Cornwell, etc) take up all the top slots and rake in the big bucks. Everyone else effectively doesn't register.

As to when to publish, the article said for new writers February is the best time. For seasoned writers, the fall (October?) is best.

If I can track the story down, I'll post the link.
 
In all my years of writing, I have not gotten any money from it. I have gotten things featured in magazines, I won a T Shirt in a USA Today Haiku contest, and people who requested that I write something for them have thanked me profusely or given me some sort of gift in exchange for what I wrote. So while the writing has been satisfying to me, I didn't make actual money on it.

In the old days, I actually wasted countless dollars in submitting my works. Used to be that one needed to print off their work and mail it in, using a larger, outer envelope and a smaller one inside with a return label and postage on it. So not only was I paying for paper, envelopes, stamps, and printer ink, but paying for New Writer's Digests to get the updated information about the various publishers as this can change from year to year.

These days I think much of this can be done online so at least one doesn't have to pay for all of those supplies.
 
What is 'writing'? Hint: it's more than just literary fiction, which I suppose is the emphasis here. Journalism, technical reports, magazine articles, advertising copy, propaganda, grant proposals, etc. People are paid to churn out such stuff.

"Does It Pay to Be A Writer?" My sorta sister is a multiple New York Times Bestseller List-er who now teaches at a junior college because the publishing business has collapsed in USA. Very few have ever supported themselves with full-time fiction writing anyway. Theology probably pays better.
 
What is 'writing'? Hint: it's more than just literary fiction, which I suppose is the emphasis here. Journalism, technical reports, magazine articles, advertising copy, propaganda, grant proposals, etc. People are paid to churn out such stuff.

"Does It Pay to Be A Writer?" My sorta sister is a multiple New York Times Bestseller List-er who now teaches at a junior college because the publishing business has collapsed in USA. Very few have ever supported themselves with full-time fiction writing anyway. Theology probably pays better.

I had come back to the thread to post essentially this myself. Writing encompasses a lot of different variations and is included in a broad range of jobs. I've been writing for five decades, I think, not always in the same mode--and, yes, I made a significant amount of money from it as did those around me who also were writing. Fiction? Yes, I write that too. No, it wouldn't pay me a living wage--but my continued income from other forms of writing (including editing of what others have written) does.
 
"Does It Pay to Be A Writer?" My sorta sister is a multiple New York Times Bestseller List-er who now teaches at a junior college because the publishing business has collapsed in USA.

I've often wondered about that. People say that publishing businesses has collapsed, but I've often heard about the businesses -like so many others- simply getting more consolidated under a handful of big names.

I guess the internet has made reading free, but can people really be reading less, so that there is no demand for new works anymore?

Very few have ever supported themselves with full-time fiction writing anyway. Theology probably pays better.

I'd point to Joel Osteen, but apparently he's considered a crazy hack among serious religious scholars and such.
 
Does it pay? Well let's see. In my nearly three years writing, I won a contest in 2017 on literotica for 100 or 150 bucks, but I forgot to collect it so... my grand total of earnings is $0.00. My parents are so proud! In all honesty, my mom loves my work, but I'm still not getting paid.

SoB
 
Dr Johnson said, "Only a fool writes, if not for money." Thus most online are fools, hey?
 
Does it pay to be a writer? Yes, in the :heart:

But not all writers get paid with $$$,$$$.¢¢

Does it pay to be a reader: Yes, in the :heart: and mind.

But readers do pay out the $$.¢¢.
 
Last edited:
Does it pay?

Simple answer: Some.

Complex answer: Not enough to matter.

I have made a few bucks with what I write. When I started, back in 2011, during the ebook boon, I made a few bucks. Not enough to live on, but enough to take the wife out to a nice restaurant once a month.

Since then the ebook market has dried up, now I'm luck if I make enough to by a soda once a month.

Do I write to make money? Not really. It was nice while it lasted but I mainly write for myself. I write what I would want to read. It's soothing.
 
"Does It Pay to Be A Writer?" <== Sloppy construction. Who is 'it'?

"Is writing rewarding?" <== Much better.

The answer depends on the payoff / reward, and whether the writer is satisfied. Some writings are bought or rented for money. Many writings warm the author's heart but don't pay the bills. Thus my fiction, essays, songs.

I no longer bother arguing social-political-religious issues on forums. A positive payoff would see others convinced by my arguments but that does not happen. My real reward is that writing clarifies my thoughts on issues. I'm clear now so I needn't argue that shit anymore, heh heh.

I have been paid for technical writing and editing. Learn to write what people will pay for and YOU can get paid too.
 
Learn to write what people will pay for and YOU can get paid too.

It all comes down to your definition of 'writer'. In one neat and tidy week last year I wrote a short story that (eventually) earned me £55. The same week, I rewrote a guide to governance for a global aid organisation. That earned me £2,650 – and the money was in my bank account on the last day of the month. :)
 
I guess that, nowadays, the best chance of getting paid is by writing a "How to write" book.

I coauthored a "how to get published" book some fifteen years ago that led to a Writer's Digest "top 100 Web sites" designation and a lot of paid consulting business. So, yes, by extrapolation, one of the most profitable means of writing.

Made a good bit writing for the PDB (the President's Daily Brief) too. Of course, in those days, it was actually read and we didn't have to write it to the third-grade reading level.
 
Back
Top